• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10's Game Mode exclusive to UWP

leeh

competition with steam would be simply making a new storefront. they're trying to gradually close down and restrict the entire platform which needs to be utterly rejected by the entire user base if we want to keep the good parts of the PC.
UWP has become infinitely more open since it's inception of WinRT in W8.

Deadbeat

Banned
Microsoft and PC gaming.

c9Ups.gif]
Every week theres a new blunder by MS as their win 10 uwp initiative.

kiguel182

They want to move people to their new program format so this makes sense.

UWPs might not be the greatest for gaming yet but it's a core part of the Windows 10 strategy when it comes to apps so it makes sense.

aeolist

Banned
UWP has become infinitely more open since it's inception of WinRT in W8.

entirely because the PC market as a whole rejected it. this needs to continue until UWP is either at least as open and accessible as win32 or abandoned entirely.

"All of MS' exclusives are on PC! I don't need an Xbox!"

*UWP is confirmed*

"So what are the current deals on an Xbox One S?"
It creates weird, silly pickles that shouldn't be.

When Gears 4 is 374:- on Xbox, I go "ooh, that's a decent deal", then I realize it's Play Anywhere and I'd effectively be buying the UWPC version, and then I don't buy it.
Doubt I'll ever buy a PC game from the Windows/Xbox/Microsoft Store. They charge more for a worse product/service that's aiming to restrict PC gaming. Would be like paying someone to punch me in the face.

I'm just holding onto hope that Windows Store sales will be rubbish until Microsoft feels compelled to make Quantum Break the default publishing strategy.

tmarg

They want to move people to their new program format so this makes sense.

UWPs might not be the greatest for gaming yet but it's a core part of the Windows 10 strategy when it comes to apps so it makes sense.

It's not the greatest for gaming period. They're trying to create a walled garden again. Nothing about this is in the best interest of players or developers. I'd be incredibly worried about it if they weren't so hilariously incompetent.

4Tran

I know the store has its problems but why the fuck would people want less competition?
That's because what you want is good competition, with products of relatively equal value. Competition from products with very negative value isn't real competition, it's just something that drags the market down. It's like how the automobile market doesn't benefit by having more lemons available for sale.

Yeah, 12 years ago. Imagine launching a platform without looking at what steam did over 10+ years and lacking in almost all features compared to it.
Bear in mind that Microsoft is trying to something very different from what Steam does, and that this is part and parcel of the problems with it.

EvB

That article isnt very clear, it starts off saying that Game mode *might* be a method of automatically prioritising system resources for a running game.

Then it goes on to say that it's a set of UWP SDK features that allow a PC game to go on and run on Scorpio / Xbox One more easily.

Game Mode, it appears, is a feature that streamlines variations between Xbox consoles and PCs, making sure as many Windows 10 systems as possible can run games to the standards set by the Xbox One and Project Scorpio. Microsoft describes those "target" standards as 900p to 1080p resolution for Xbox One and 4K resolution with 60 frames per second for Project Scorpio, and we've received evidence to suggest that the Xbox One already utilizes "Game Mode" in games developed for the Universal Windows Platform.
And that some UWP games already have this built in..

What is perhaps more interesting is that the Project Scorpio Target profile is 4K @60FPS.

Theorry

It's not the greatest for gaming period. They're trying to create a walled garden again. Nothing about this is in the best interest of players or developers. I'd be incredibly worried about it if they weren't so hilariously incompetent.

Well a free copy for my PC after i bought a copy for my console is pretty nice for me as a player.

Arulan

This sounds just like the hundreds of Game Booster programs and applications, which is largely nonsense.

Keep it up Microsoft, one of these days you'll figure out what supporting PC gaming actually means, relative to yourself.

Staying away from it.

jelly

There zero difference. The entire reason for UWP's existence is to be exclusive to the Windows Store and for Microsoft to get 30% of the purchase of every UWP app. Nothing more, nothing less.

That and they want a mobile App Store so Windows Mobile can go anywhere but down. The latter is more important to them.

jelly

You will buy a game on your Scorpio XBox and will play it for free on Windows 10. I dont get the hate. If you want to buy two times, then buy it on Steam too. Thats what i'm undestanding.

Aren't PC digital games priced like console games for this feature though. Nice bonus for Microsoft.

I know right. It's almost as if a feature developed for uwp on console could be easily ported to pc easily on uwp. Truly outrageous!

Someone posted some shots, it closes or maybe it freezes app like Visual Studios running in the background eating up 20% cpu and 2GB ram and that is all.

Any PC gamer would know they can control-alt-del and check task manager.
That was not a real screenshot, more like a mock up of how the feature would work.

The win central leak also talks about how the feature is tied into making scalable games.

I'm guessing game mode is just one of the many features ms is bringing to their dev tools, making games auto scale, not just framerate and resolution but even dynamic settings seems also a big part of it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Whatever issues remain can be fixed. UWP is the future and Microsoft has been very vocal about it in the past few months.
Good thing the PC gaming market hasn't been kind to MS then. If that's the future, I'd rather stay in the past. Whatever issues remain can be fixed already by using Win32 programs instead.

kiguel182

The UWP is about more than gaming. It's about how they are unifying Windows 10 and it's architecture across different machines.

It will most likely improve over time too. It's also their new platform, they ditched Win32 so this is it now as far as their support goes.

KageMaru

The OP should have included more of the article to at least explain what game mode is. This just looks to be a tool chain to make it easier to develop a game for Windows 10 and Xbox. We've known forever that this was their goal but people are just shitting on this news for no real reason.

Momentary

Banned
Well, I very much doubt it will actually do much anyway on a PC with a decent amount of RAM and no silly CPU-intensive background processes. And I wouldn't want some software to decide what software runs on my PC at any point, I'm capable of doing that on my own ;)

As I said before, creating a feature that can be used with less than 1% of the game library on the platform just seems like something MS would do right now.

So that's what this basically is? The only time I have a load on my PC aside from a game is when I running test virtual environments on VMWare. Other than I'm probably utilizing 1-3 percenthe of my RAM and CPU.

I was hoping that this was some coding to the metal magician type stuff.

Aselith

Yeah, 12 years ago. Imagine launching a platform without looking at what steam did over 10+ years and lacking in almost all features compared to it.

It's not even almost all. There is literally not one thing that Windows Store does close to as well as Steam. Even the store itself is designed even more poorly and I didn't think that was possible. Trying to find the base game when there is also a Deluxe and Ultimate edition bundle is a nightmare on WinStore. I own Forza Horizon 3 and if you ever go to install it, you have to search the store for the game then click down through about 3 levels of bundles before you get to the base game to install it.

Fucking trash

That article isnt very clear, it starts off saying that Game mode *might* be a method of automatically prioritising system resources for a running game.

Then it goes on to say that it's a set of UWP SDK features that allow a PC game to go on and run on Scorpio / Xbox One more easily.

What is perhaps more interesting is that the Project Scorpio Target profile is 4K @60FPS.
Yeah, the article is a bit of a mess, but those leaks usually are, the person likely has no understanding of what the info they got actually means.

But it's nice to know that game mode already is on xbone, and might have been used for BF1. Ms did say a few years back that it would give more back to the console further than the Kinect reservation and this might be it.

It's not even almost all. There is literally not one thing that Windows Store does close to as well as Steam. Even the store itself is designed even more poorly and I didn't think that was possible. Trying to find the base game when there is also a Deluxe and Ultimate edition bundle is a nightmare on WinStore. I own Forza Horizon 3 and if you ever go to install it, you have to search the store for the game then click down through about 3 levels of bundles before you get to the base game to install it.

Fucking trash
You definitely don't need to do that. You can install through your purchases, and even if you search and hit a deluxe or ultra edition they all have direct links to the regular one.

OldRoutes

Fucking trash

Wait, what? That doesn't sound true at all...

You can't go into your profile and then My Library? Your games should be listed there.

singhr1

This sounds just like the hundreds of Game Booster programs and applications, which is largely nonsense.

Keep it up Microsoft, one of these days you'll figure out what supporting PC gaming actually means, relative to yourself.

Staying away from it.

Except its for devs not for consumers but keep hating away boy-o

Theorry

Fucking trash

Well if you make it hard for yourself then its probably trash yeah. ;)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I will never understand Windows Store apologists. The service is shit and Microsoft's end-goal is shit and should be shat upon. If people drank this much kool-aid back when they wanted to implement GFWL and paying for online gaming (HAH) they might just have gone through with it, because GFWL as a platform sure was "stronger" (or at least there were more games on the service) than the Windows Store currently is.

prudislav

Whatever issues remain can be fixed. UWP is the future and Microsoft has been very vocal about it in the past few months.
yay for scrambled filenames ... wonder when they will kill the explorer as it will be useless when this happens
I know the store has its problems but why the fuck would people want less competition?

this is tired as shit by now but does everybody forget when everyone HATED THE SHIT out of a steam?
its not really a competition , currently its more like a bonus feature for Xbox One gamers and deployment simplification for mobile/tablet app devs

yeah but even the ancient green steam was miles ahead of Win10 store ... in terms of actual PC features (and stuff PC gaming is known and loved for) it means completely killing tem and making UWP to something that so far seems like closed subsystem inside of Windows 10 aka "Xbox one as an APP"
.... starting to think that Scorpio will be just PC inside abox with XBOX label running crippled version of Windows 10

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I will never understand Windows Store apologists, it's all "Microsoft wants to end PC as an open platform"

I used to think that, but to be honest, with a lot of the OSS moves Microsoft has made (.Net Core, VS Code on Linux), the cultural changes and shift Satya Nadella has moved Microsoft in I truly think it's more "Microsoft want to offer a curated, safe computing environment" as an alternative.

Whatever issues remain can be fixed already by using Win32 programs instead.
Except, you know, the stuff that won't end up back-ported to Win32, and will require, sooner or later, UWP as a minimum target for implementation., Win32's time may not be done for several years, but there was a time they said the same about Win16 stuff, that's gone, the same will happen with Win32 one day, that's progress.

Head.spawn

I'm not sure wtf you guys expected... did you want MS to mandate that every PC game supports it? Because that would go over well.

aeolist

Banned
I used to think that, but to be honest, with a lot of the OSS moves Microsoft has made (.Net Core, VS Code on Linux), the cultural changes and shift Satya Nadella has moved Microsoft in I truly think it's more "Microsoft want to offer a curated, safe computing environment" as an alternative.

that's not a different thing. making computing a safe and curated environment necessarily kills openness and options.

JaggedSac

_Ryo_

People know you dont need the windows store to distribute UWP right?

If it blows dont use it, force them to improve it till its better. If its good, dope, maybe itll force competitors to make there products better.

this is tired as shit by now but does everybody forget when everyone HATED THE SHIT out of a steam?

Good thing Microsoft doesn't compete with the Steam from 12 years ago.

That Steam was crap then doesn't excuse Win 10 store now. Technology and the world doesn't work that way.

Chris1

"MS needs to improve UWA/Windows store if they want anyone to ever use it."

MS adds a feature to "improve" it

"No way in hell am I using their UWA shit"

MS makes it available for all

"Why would I use W10 store over steam?"

seems like MS can't win no matter what

Neo_Geo

Banned
It was useless before and useless now. I guess people with "Made for Vista" machines will be overjoyed that their terrible way to purchase games may have some form of tiny light at the end of the tunnel.

kiguel182

GWL was a good idea badly executed. Steam has the social features of consoles covered now but that wasn't always the case and Microsoft wanted to bring that Xbox experience to the PC.

UWP is for every program instead of just games. Also hey are at least improving it.

aeolist

Banned

it's almost like they're bolting on features that don't have to be UWP exclusive while ignoring the massive fundamental problems that people have with the platform

UWP is the only reason a lot of MS exclusives are on pc, so I'm fine with it, as shit as it can be. But this seems to be a feature that could be agnostic to whatever game launcher you're using.

Qassim

This is always a fantastic argument.

Imagine if someone released a flagship smartphone in 2017 which couldn't install 3rd party applications and defended with "Well neither could the iPhone when it launched!"

Well this feature that sounds like a malware infected "pc booster" crap from a shady download page will ceartainly improve my opinion on their glorified fartapp store/closed bs platform.

I love how improve is between quotes.
We wouldn't have those reaction if that was nearly a half step in the right direction.

Pro-tip: Microsoft is still going in the wrong direction

Ps: microsoft need to challenge the current market , not to try to create another market that only obey to their own rules. The faster they realise that , the faster the windows store has a chance of staying alive

Top Bottom