• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Is Facing Its Biggest Challenge Since The Launch of XB1 (XboxAchievements)

UraMallas

From what the insiders have said on this site, there really isn't a way for this to happen, correct? Like, there is nothing in the pipeline from MS besides the games we know because all the studios are working on the Big 3 or something we already know about.

Head.spawn

From what the insiders have said on this site, there really isn't a way for this to happen, correct? Like, there is nothing in the pipeline from MS besides the games we know because all the studios are working on the Big 3 or something we already know about.

If that's accurate then they won't have anything to show at e3... and that's not likely.

TheKeyPit

Banned

Wasn't Rare working on two extra games?

Got an email the other day saying that MS weren't going to be attending E3 this year as they have no new games in active development, they might post a video to their YouTube channel on the day where Phil and Larry have promised to eat as much flak pie as the community can throw at them.

Honestly the only people facing a big challenge right now are the gamer who prefer single player offline games and stuff like that. The challenge of accepting the inevitable change.

It's not a sustain able business anymore. People buying habits have changed. Both in prefers genres and game modes. The amount of time and money the invest in different games etc...

I just don't get why the game media is not aware of that and is still riding the wave of the old vocal "ex- core gamer", that are not the core at all anymore.

But probably because of the clicks

At this point anything shown off by Microsoft at E3 is going to be questionable if it's going to come out or not unless it's first party game like gears, halo or forza.

5taquitos

Honestly the only people facing a big challenge right now are the gamer who prefer single player offline games and stuff like that. The challenge of accepting the inevitable change.

It's not a sustain able business anymore. People buying habits have changed. Both in prefers genres and game modes. The amount of time and money the invest in different games etc...

I just don't get why the game media is not aware of that and is still riding the wave of the old vocal "ex- core gamer", that are not the core at all anymore.

Why is that an inevitable change? There are plenty of big-budget single-player games that have come out in the last two years. While games as a service is definitely on the rise, I don't see much evidence that largely single-player experiences aren't selling.

Ahasverus

Bullshit. Last year we got many single player games that were comercial successes.

There is clearly a market for both to coexist.

UraMallas

If that's accurate then they won't have anything to show at e3... and that's not likely.

Wasn't Rare working on two extra games?

I believe the insiders on this board (OP might be included in that group) have stated nothing is coming. OP might not be one of the people I was thinking of, so sorry if I misspoke about that. I'm really bad with names. shinobi (I think?) is another one who said Rare's projects are definitely not far enough along to show and that there is nothing else in the pipeline that we don't already know about or the obvious (Forza 7 reveal).

I hope these posters are wrong, too, btw.

theWB27

At this point anything shown off by Microsoft at E3 is going to be questionable if it's going to come out or not unless it's first party game like gears, halo or forza.

Because they haven't been able to ship games this gen that aren't their big 3 right?

Kathian

Banned
I feel bad for Rare. No one talks about their new games!

But yeah MS has an issue (Sony could be there in a few years if it continues the studio shut down trend) - with the 360 they basically bought in a lot of third party titles to create exclusive games.

Problem number one with this is less and less medium to big sized studios means its

Problem number two with this is games are costing more, making it much more expensive to fund.

Problem number three is two fold, firstly studios want to make franchises in order to ensure their long term future beyond one game, that means a wide audience to create a fanbase; so MS have to pay quite heavily just for a third party games exclusivity (hence the rise of timed) - secondly its more difficult to find studios not working on pre-existing franchises and who can afford the risk of starting to develop games that MS might be able to look to fund.

--

They really need to grow Microsoft Studios and generate more new ideas from there. What I think we can expect in 2017 is Halo Wars, Forza, and probably a Gears announcement for release in 2018. Bout it.

AmuroChan

They'll still have plenty to show. Crackdown 3, Sea of thieves, the next Forza, Halo 6 tease, Indie showcase, and whatever 3rd party games they have marketing deals with in the Fall.

kitzkozan

Scalebound has people shook.

It's not surprising, but still amusing in a way that the cancellation of that game has triggered this big backlash against the Xbox brand. They need a very solid E3, or heads might start rolling sooner than later at the management level.

As long as they get the big games from Ubisoft, Activision, EA, 2K, and R* they'll be alright.

This aint Nintendo where Zelda being a launch title is the difference between tolerable and a dumpster fire.

MilkyJoe

That lass who spoke of 14 games in the pipe, I was reading an article today, I think it was 7 knowns (including Scalebound), the 3 obvious and that leaves 4 not yet announced. So as long as they have not been canned then that's something. We hope.

Lkr

As long as they get the big games from Ubisoft, Activision, EA, 2K, and R* they'll be alright.

This aint Nintendo where Zelda being a launch title is the difference between tolerable and a dumpster fire.
No but what hurts them is that all of those are available on PC and PS4. At least Nintendo has games exclusive to their systems. There is no reason to buy an Xbox at this point unless you want another gears, halo or forza. Personally, for me, gears and halo are both dead and stale.

kitzkozan

Sony pulled out the nostalgia card in 2015 when they didn't have much to show from first party. Can MS do the something similar?

Was that the E3 of manly tears? :p The confirmation that The last guardian hadn't been scrapped, along with the reveal of FF VII remake and the Shenmue 3 kickstarter.

I don't think MS would invest that much energy into "dream" projects which wouldn't be massive sellers as it's not their approach toward building a profit earning platform.

gbxdLTZ.jpg

Sony is delivering Horizon, Days Gone, God of War, Uncharted 4, Detroit etc. These are big budget narrative focused single player games (Uncharted having MP but that's not why we buy Uncharted) so what are you on about exactly? What inevitable change?

zqSX3ST.jpg

quest

Not Banned from OT
Sony pulled out the nostalgia card in 2015 when they didn't have much to show from first party. Can MS do the something similar?

Sure bring OG Xbox bc to the one. I think that would be the quickest and cheapest way to get core gamers excited.

kmfdmpig

That's hyperbolic. Obviously it sucks to cancel a game that people were looking forward to, but it's hardly unprecedented.

No but what hurts them is that all of those are available on PC and PS4. At least Nintendo has games exclusive to their systems. There is no reason to buy an Xbox at this point unless you want another gears, halo or forza. Personally, for me, gears and halo are both dead and stale.

This is such a silly statement I see being repeated. People are still buying Xbox. There's more to a game console purchase than exclusives. It can still play all the major 3rd party games. People may want access to their digital purchases or backwards compatible games. They may have friends on Xbox and want to play with them. Maybe they prefer the controller, or just have bought Xbox in the past and want to stay in the ecosystem they know. NeoGAF and the "there's no reason to buy an Xbox anymore" narrative is so stale and silly. I wouldn't buy one because I have a PC, but acting like there's no reasons is myopic.

Tecnniqe

Banned

Mmm with this unprecedented cancellation they might as well shut down the whole game division.

theWB27

Or you want to play video games on it. This... if you don't play gears, forza, halo then there's NO reason to own an Xbox is not grounded in reality.

There are very valid reasons to owning an xbox even if you don't care for those franchisees.

Even with Nintendo having all those exclusives you can see where that has them.

gamz

You mean there's no reason for YOU to buy an Xbox.

Unknown?

This is such a silly statement I see being repeated. People are still buying Xbox. There's more to a game console purchase than exclusives. It can still play all the major 3rd party games. People may want access to their digital purchases or backwards compatible games. They may have friends on Xbox and want to play with them. Maybe they prefer the controller, or just have bought Xbox in the past and want to stay in the ecosystem they know. NeoGAF and the "there's no reason to buy an Xbox anymore" narrative is so stale and silly. I wouldn't buy one because I have a PC, but acting like there's no reasons is myopic.

People are still buying them* because of other things AND the promise of great games. If they keep their poor output less and less will buy them. Seriously I've never heard so many people argue that less games is a good thing.

*In America.

The Jutty

Sure bring OG Xbox bc to the one. I think that would be the quickest and cheapest way to get core gamers excited.

I know everyone was really excited for BC for 360 but I honestly never see any friends playing bc games and I don't personally play them either. I did see a couple playing Lost Odyssey but outside of that nothing really.

MilkyJoe

Or you want to play video games on it. This... if you don't play gears, forza, halo then there's NO reason to own an Xbox is not grounded in reality.

There are very valid reasons to owning an xbox even if you don't care for those franchisees.

I like FH, but I don't play the others, there's still plenty of reasons that are not exclusives to choose a console.

theWB27

People are still buying them* because of other things AND the promise of great games. If they keep their poor output less and less will buy them. Seriously I've never heard so many people argue that less games is a good thing.

*In America.

Go into a Nintendo thread.

Xbox has plenty of games to play.

Lkr

So why is the Xbox selling so poorly compared to the PS4? Obviously there are reasons to own one, I use mine as an entertainment center and to play EA Sports games. I don't think "ms is doomed" but for a forum full of people insisting that no one would ever buy a switch "just for zelda", I find it weird that there is so much faith in MS still

Nothing prevents Microsoft for making new deals with some third party or second party to make a new game for them, they probably already did and haven't announced their games yet.

Getting new exclusives games is not the problem, quality and appeal is. At least that's why I think. Quantum Break was a fair bet but it was tied to a discarded business viewpoint. Recore looked really rough and few people were interested in that and it wasn't well received. Scalebound looked bad too and Platinum isn't known for selling great.

Is not bad that they have those games but they might need a new hit, back in the day they had Oblivion (I think it came to PS3 a couple of years after launch) and Gears was a new thing, they need that strike again.

Edit: And if that what they want, I think they're not looking in the right places.

Microsoft needs to go hard into the paint with digital only single player games and be honest with its goals around new AAA IP. If they want to release on per year, then they need to say that to people.

Lkr

You mean there's no reason for YOU to buy an Xbox.
Fox sports go, watchespn, Amazon instant, Netflix, and the 15 Xbox one games I own are the reason I own it. Outside of halo and gears, the rest of the games I own are available in higher resolution on other platforms. I bought an Xbox because I like the controller. There are a good amount of people that did the same. But it only sells in the US.
The apps I listed are available on much cheaper devices like roku. I mean the NBC sports app on Xbox one doesn't even let you watch premier league soccer.

So why is the Xbox selling so poorly compared to the PS4? Obviously there are reasons to own one, I use mine as an entertainment center and to play EA Sports games. I don't think "ms is doomed" but for a forum full of people insisting that no one would ever buy a switch "just for zelda", I find it weird that there is so much faith in MS still

In the US they're pretty close with Sony ahead by about a million units- but you can thank a botched launch that had gamers thinking used games would be going away, and substantially higher pricing thanks to kinect for that one.

Worldwide they're getting slaughtered- but Sony has always been extremely strong in Europe and led there easily (minus the UK) during the PS3 era even when the 360 was at it's best.

JP has always laughed off the Xbox as a joke machine, it's never had a chance there and never will.

FATALITY

Banned
Classic Rare IP's. Even though they aren't nostalgic to much of the Xbox community necessarily
To Nintendo yes. To Ms? No way. also instead of helping the brand it will damaged even more because the fans will want those games on switch and for some reason ms will be the evil.
Anyway there is no way they can pull the nostalgic card. Also people are okay with shenmue because Sega is dead as console manufacturer

Top Bottom