• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Is Facing Its Biggest Challenge Since The Launch of XB1 (XboxAchievements)

notaskwid

so while ps4 is outselling xb1 about 2:1 you expect the ps4 pro to outsell the xbox scorpio 4:1?
where do you see that massive 100% increase come from?

or did i just miss a joke somewhere in that post?

Actually the gap may or may not be 2:1, 53.4 million ps4 sold to customer as of 1/1 vs 20 something xbox ones sold.
We don't have concrete numbers for xbox, but the gap seems to be widening, which'll put ps4 with a sales ratio of over 2:1 xboxes per month.

I think they make a bundle on XBL subs, DL content, fees for services, etc. That's why they push so hard to get people in their ecosystem, sell hardware at a loss. That's also a part of why they're so big on "games as services."
As i said they of course do make money on that stuff but when you take into consideration how much money they were probably losing pre xbo-s with all the dramatic price cuts and pack in deals just to stay relevant I would imagine that would have eaten heavily into any potential profits they could have had.

When you also have ps4 taking the lions share of multiplatform revenue (platform holder fees) and Microsofts lack of exclusives it means Microsofts potential for revenue is diminished.

Electret

Scorpio will be significantly more powerful than Pro. It's a true next-gen console, insofar as one can even say that generations still exist. Pro itself isn't moving impressively at all.

Mind telling us how much Pro sold in Nov and Dec?

Man, Doc is on a serious roll with the bullshit posts today.

DocSeuss

Mind telling us how much Pro sold in Nov and Dec?

Man, Doc is on a serious roll with the bullshit posts today.

Total ps4 sales were under 7 mil between November 10/January 1, most of those were the smaller PS bundle. Estimates place Pro around 2 mil, so, y'know, nice, but not really huge. Which isn't surprising--it's a mid-gen refresh. It's going to perform, sales-wise, closer to the Xbox One S than a new console would.

PS4 Pro's ~4 tflops, Scorpio's projected at 6. 2 tflop increase. Not enough to go full 4K, but still more powerful (yeah, yeah, I know, the PS4/PS4 difference doesn't seem major and it's a similar tflop difference, but that's got other factors). I'm not sure why this is an objectionable position to take. It's a 50% increase. More over the X1. Why are people so upset about this?

For context, I'm just layin here in bed fighting illness and watching TV, occasionally making posts on GAF when I want to take a break. It seems like some of ya'll need this to be life or death. Why is this so upsetting to people?

It's good that you at least replied and gave context to your words.

Different people have different opinion on what constitutes as "significant" which is why I try to not talk semantics that varies base on people's weight of words.

It's what it is.

Actually the gap may or may not be 2:1, 53.4 million ps4 sold to customer as of 1/1 vs 20 something xbox ones sold.
We don't have concrete numbers for xbox, but the gap seems to be widening, which'll put ps4 with a sales ratio of over 2:1 xboxes per month.

Xb1 is at 26m according to superdata estimates
and at 25.5 - 27.5m from my estimates

superdata salesratio 2.05:1
my salesratio 1.95 - 2.1:1

it is still around 2:1

Calabi

Total ps4 sales were under 7 mil between November 10/January 1, most of those were the smaller PS bundle. Estimates place Pro around 2 mil, so, y'know, nice, but not really huge. Which isn't surprising--it's a mid-gen refresh. It's going to perform, sales-wise, closer to the Xbox One S than a new console would.

PS4 Pro's ~4 tflops, Scorpio's projected at 6. 2 tflop increase. Not enough to go full 4K, but still more powerful (yeah, yeah, I know, the PS4/PS4 difference doesn't seem major and it's a similar tflop difference, but that's got other factors). I'm not sure why this is an objectionable position to take. It's a 50% increase. More over the X1. Why are people so upset about this?

For context, I'm just layin here in bed fighting illness and watching TV, occasionally making posts on GAF when I want to take a break. It seems like some of ya'll need this to be life or death. Why is this so upsetting to people?

If you correlate Teraflops with sales then that means Scorpio's should sell at least 3 million a month. Maybe Microsoft should have waited till they could get more tflops, but good news for them either way.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Sony pulled out the nostalgia card in 2015 when they didn't have much to show from first party. Can MS do the something similar?

Nostalgia card? I've heard this before and it's bollocks.

Pulling out the nostalgia card is something like Halo MCC or Uncharted NDC: porting a popular franchise (that you own) to the current generation with a bunch of shinies attached: cheap, easy and near risk-free.

Pulling off what Sony did at E3 2015 was little less than a miracle as far the as the gaming industry goes. TLG was vapourware royalty, Square had been refusing to do a VII remaster for the last decade and a half and Yu Suzuki had been missing in action since SEGA left the hardware market.

The idea that bringing those things together in a single show was just some 'card' they had sitting in their back pocket is... ridiculous.

Nostalgia card? I've heard this before and it's bollocks.

Pulling out the nostalgia card is something like Halo MCC or Uncharted NDC: porting a popular franchise (that you own) to the current generation with a bunch of shinies attached: cheap, easy and near risk-free.

Pulling off what Sony did at E3 2015 was little less than a miracle as far the as the gaming industry goes. TLG was vapourware royalty, Square had been refusing to do a VII remaster for the last decade and a half and Yu Suzuki had been missing in action since SEGA left the hardware market.

The idea that bringing those things together in a single show was just some 'card' they had sitting in their back pocket is... ridiculous.

Yup, E3 2015 was legendary.

Top Bottom