• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Is Facing Its Biggest Challenge Since The Launch of XB1 (XboxAchievements)

oti

Banned
Honestly the only people facing a big challenge right now are the gamer who prefer single player offline games and stuff like that. The challenge of accepting the inevitable change.

It's not a sustain able business anymore. People buying habits have changed. Both in prefers genres and game modes. The amount of time and money the invest in different games etc...

I just don't get why the game media is not aware of that and is still riding the wave of the old vocal "ex- core gamer", that are not the core at all anymore.

But probably because of the clicks

Alright. I can live with that.

But, where are all those exclusive service games then?

At this point anything shown off by Microsoft at E3 is going to be questionable if it's going to come out or not unless it's first party game like gears, halo or forza.

Why though? They cancelled 3 games and by the end of the this year if everything else gets released, they'll have have released 36 games. Why would you not trust them to release games?

Bsigg12

I don't know why people keep bringing up Halo 6. I doubt we see anything more than a teaser trailer if that. If they're on a 3 year cycle like they were between 4 and 5, then 6 won't be out for another year. This would have to be a smaller project year for 343 and something that demos well for Scorpio.

They should work with Valve to get a Steam app installed. It doesn't solve the problem of the lack of exclusives, but they open the doors to a large number of games that console only gamers have not experienced.

I must have been insane to think this is going to come out immediately after they opened up the windows app.. this would've made it awesome console. But clear that the Steam and ms do not want to shake hands

Incredible how the cancellation of one game can cause an avalanche of articles on this.

The gaming world is really interesting in its collective psychology/culture of news.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I don't get why all of a sudden, everyone is acting like Scorpio is going to make games look all that amazing. They'll look good, but I still feel like alternatives have been out there for ages for people who care and want top tier graphics. Out of all games, Forza 7 is going to be the big game that makes everyone want a Scorpio?! Pricing it really well is their best hope.

A console with nicer graphics isn't the cure that ails what MS is suffering from currently. I thought the switch reveal was awful, but I'm more interested in that at the end of the year once it has a lineup rather than a souped up Xbox.

Agreed.

Forza looking sharp at 4K is not going to change the fact that it's still a Forza game. If you weren't interested in those before you're not going to suddenly get interested now.
Same with Halo and Gears, Microsoft has shown to be rather unwilling to break these franchises out of their FPS/TPS mold, with Halo Wars as a rare exception. An extra layer of shine on these games isn't going to draw in new crowds anytime soon.

Wtfisthisshit.gif

what's happening right now

Alright. I can live with that.

But, where are all those exclusive service games then?

sea of thieves is coming
so you have halo, gears, forza, killer instinct, sea of thieves and maybe crackdown, if the games will take off
you can't expect 10 or more of those exclusive service games from one publisher / platform holder

look at the pc space. the top 5 game generate what? about 3/4* of all revenue?!
and the top 10 90%*?!
*i didn't check that numbers, so i could be off here. but the idea is not wrong

Funnily enough, this reminds me of the people that argued it was only a vocal minority that strongly opposed Microsoft's direction at the announcement of the Xbone.

it was.
less than 1% don't have their console connected to the internet
less than 5% trade in their old games and buy used games

but that does not contradict the fact of people hate to be forced and told what to do and is best for them. that was the main driver behind the outrage. they want to have the option and figure out by them self what's best
if you really wan't to force something from the top down to your customer base, you need to be in a strong position, have a cohesive and consistent message plus the stuff you want to force to your customer base has to be good and a benefit for them

but this is hardly anything new. this happend with cars. happend with seat belts
happend with smarphones. happend with drm and online games.
this will happen again in every other area

theWB27

Why though? They cancelled 3 games and by the end of the this year if everything else gets released, they'll have have released 36 games. Why would you not trust them to release games?

Because one has to keep the narrative that all they have and can release is Gears halo and forza.

Instead of admitting that, even if you don't care for their games, they do release exclusives. But...that's too hard.

Honestly the only people facing a big challenge right now are the gamer who prefer single player offline games and stuff like that. The challenge of accepting the inevitable change.

It's not a sustain able business anymore. People buying habits have changed. Both in prefers genres and game modes. The amount of time and money the invest in different games etc...

I just don't get why the game media is not aware of that and is still riding the wave of the old vocal "ex- core gamer", that are not the core at all anymore.

But probably because of the clicks

Except, you don't need all the games you develop or release to be mega hits. Heck, all 3rd party devs are focusing on these service games right now - MS doesn't have to focus on these service titles in order to diversify their lineup to make the platform more enticing.

Neither of the 1st parties are going to develop service games that are going to take off with the masses, so why compete in that arena? MS could easily be spending a far lower budget like Sony does on developing their SP-centric games, and allow 3rd parties to do the heavy lifting on the MP experiences, which they already do.

Sure, MS did try to release a few SP centric games this gen and none of them really took off. But perhaps MS' issue on this front was timing, not reception. Out of the 3 big attempts MS made (SSOD, Recore, QB), only one of them wasn't release in the last 4 months of the year (QB), and that game had larger issues than its release window. Sony's been knocking out of the park, putting out their games in the 1st half of the year and putting those games on sale during the summer drought to maintain demand for the platform even in the 'pre-season' months. This is a publishing model MS could've readily adopted, but didn't, because they prefer their games to be viewed as these massive 'blockbusters'.

shandy706

Microsoft will be fine. I hate the Scalebound cancelation, but hopefully State of Decay 2 and Crackdown will be great.

I'd think both will be at E3.

The amount of hyperbole in these threads lately is annoying.

I don't know why people keep bringing up Halo 6. I doubt we see anything more than a teaser trailer if that. If they're on a 3 year cycle like they were between 4 and 5, then 6 won't be out for another year. This would have to be a smaller project year for 343 and something that demos well for Scorpio.
It will be like Halo 5. Announced for fall of the following year.

Scale bound always looked like shit anyway.

It did and I didn't fault MS for cancelling, but it only did go to show how weak they were in regards to unique options and the concern that followed is well warranted imo. Hearing about the cancellation did get me worried about their goals going forward. If it's simply higher end graphics and the same franchises I've grown tired of (outside of horizon, love horizon), then I'm not interested.

Head.spawn

What do you mean, 'won't have anything to show'? We have yet to see gameplay from State of Decay 2, we haven't seen anything of Forza 7, anything of Halo 6, anything from the Ori followup, there are plenty of gameplay systems for Sea of Thieves we've yet to see, we've seen none of the Phantom Dust Remaster, and we haven't seen Crackdown 3 gameplay in almost 2 years.

Add a few 3rd party marketing deals + the Scorpio unveil, and that adds up to an okay E3. Well, I hope it does at least. If you read that paragraph and think "that it?", then you might be disappointed. But if you're a core Xbox user, I think that paragraph speaks volumes to you.

"Anything new"

That was implied as a response to post i was replying to.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I can understand the frustration of people who are looking for more exclusives like PlayStation but to me personally it doesn't really matter. My most played games this gen are following (Based on hours, from xbox app)

Halo 5
Titanfall
MCC
Forza 5
BF1
Titanfall 2
Rainbow 6
GTA V
Gears 4

For me most of the Sony exclusives are 1 timer good experience. Enjoyed the hell out of TLOU and U4. But that's about it. So I am more of a Halo and third party guy. So as long as I am keeping getting this stuff, I will be there day 1 for scoprio.

Dabanton

People are really overreacting to the Scalebound news. I doubt Microsoft is struggling as much as some people think they are.

Anyone sensible and not prone to hyperbole thinks the same.

MS are in a bit of bind at the moment as until they officially talk about whatever the Scorpio is what can they actually say? I mean if you have a more powerful console on the way, why not wait to shown the best version of your exclusives on that?

After E3 if it still looks barren people can go in on them as much as they want. As by then they'll actually be informed rather than knee jerk reacting.

0racle

I don't get why all of a sudden, everyone is acting like Scorpio is going to make games look all that amazing. They'll look good, but I still feel like alternatives have been out there for ages for people who care and want top tier graphics. Out of all games, Forza 7 is going to be the big game that makes everyone want a Scorpio?! Pricing it really well is their best hope.

A console with nicer graphics isn't the cure that ails what MS is suffering from currently. I thought the switch reveal was awful, but I'm more interested in that at the end of the year once it has a lineup rather than a souped up Xbox.

I mentioned forza 7 because that is one title that is guaranteed, I bet they have lots in the works that are being prepped for the Scorpio reveal, that is why things have been so quiet.

Scorpio isn't some fly under the radar Ps4 pro style releas. This is almost like a new console release for them.

Drek

Sony pulled out the nostalgia card in 2015 when they didn't have much to show from first party. Can MS do the something similar?

You mean the E3 they re-introduced The Last Guardian (released less than two years later), Uncharted 4 (released less than two years later), RIGS (VR, released less than two years later), and Horizon: Zero Dawn (releasing about 2.5 years later)?

They peppered the 2015 show with new marketing deals and some core gamer wishlist stuff, but the show itself had worthwhile new content as well.

People are really overreacting to the Scalebound news. I doubt Microsoft is struggling as much as some people think they are.

They aren't struggling, they're just starting their back half of the generation gameplan, and as we've seen on both the Xbox and Xbox 360 that simply doesn't include funding much in the way of new high dollar IPs. It's Halo/Gears/Forza time with variant consoles (Scorpio, Slim, and whatever Master Chief/Gears/etc. paint job du jour they want to throw out) piled on top. This generation they've innovated the addition of a >$100 "elite" controller to this cycle.

Microsoft does just enough to rope in as many loyalists as they can in the first ~2-4 years of a generation, then start to money pump those loyalists without mercy for the rest of the generation. This is what they mean when they say they want to be "like Nintendo", but they lack the variety in IP offerings to hide the tactic as capably.

Sony isn't morally superior on this front by the way, they just want to find more cash cow IPs and have also found a nice pricing window to put out AA first party games, largely thanks to the dual benefits of not paying royalties (why this window doesn't really exist for 3rd parties) and having strong market penetration in all major regions (rewarding a more diverse catalog).

Nintendo is Japan-centric, MS is America-centric. As a result they each have only so much profit they can find stepping outside of their core scope. Sony can make things like R&C, Gravity Rush 2, The Last Guardian, etc. and find profitability in it thanks to their global presence.

I mentioned forza 7 because that is one title that is guaranteed, I bet they have lots in the works that are being prepped for the Scorpio reveal, that is why things have been so quiet.

Scorpio isn't some fly under the radar Ps4 pro style releas. This is almost like a new console release for them.

It doesn't matter, that's the point. People who didn't buy into those same tired franchises are supposed to go out in droves to buy a Scorpio for those same franchises? As it stands now, it'll sell to Xbox enthusiasts, but what are they offering otherwise? If prettier graphics is it, then many of you are in for a rude surprise. I think that if anything, we need much more information.

Games being tied to x1 as well also fails to instill much confidence. Same issue I have with the pro. Generational changes for me are nice in what new gameplay experiences they can offer, bigger worlds, new mechanics, etc. A high end system being locked to what was already mediocre hardware (this applies to ps4 and xb1) doesn't mean all that much.

I think you guys are in for a surprise.

Microsoft is laying low. They will kill it at E3. I just feel it.

Scorpio for them, is a massive risk and I think its their last card this gen in order to shoe horn themselves into a good position for the next generation of consoles. If they keep things going the way it is now with the way Sony is performing that mindset will carry over for the next iteration of hardware we get.

Scorpio will be massive, they will have some absolutely mind blowing things to show off, I think forza 7 will be a game changer same with whatever else the showcase with it. Microsoft has constantly been improving since their XB1 reveal fiasco, we can all agree to that. That pattern will continue with Scorpio 10x fold. This isn't fanboyism its just a logical evolution of events for them. Scale bound aside.

I hope you are right. I am very excited for Scorpio and if E3 is done right, I will own it day one.

Humdinger

shinobi (I think?) is another one who said Rare's projects are definitely not far enough along to show and that there is nothing else in the pipeline that we don't already know about or the obvious (Forza 7 reveal).

Yeah, I believe he said that there wasn't anything else in the pipeline (close enough to reveal at E3, anyhow) that he knew of. He added that MS always has a surprise or two at E3, though, implying they may have something he is not aware of, perhaps smaller-scale. So who knows.

I agree with the video author, an announcement of a real Fable game (not some f2p thing) would help. At least get back to Halo/Gears/Forza/Fable instead of Halo/Gears/Forza. A new Fable game would be years away, though, probably too early to reveal. It would be cool if Rare was working on that.

This is such a silly statement I see being repeated. People are still buying Xbox. There's more to a game console purchase than exclusives. It can still play all the major 3rd party games. People may want access to their digital purchases or backwards compatible games. They may have friends on Xbox and want to play with them. Maybe they prefer the controller, or just have bought Xbox in the past and want to stay in the ecosystem they know. NeoGAF and the "there's no reason to buy an Xbox anymore" narrative is so stale and silly. I wouldn't buy one because I have a PC, but acting like there's no reasons is myopic.

All good points. People don't buy Xbox just because of Halo/Gears/Forza (although I don't know anyone who does own one who doesn't like those games). They buy it because they loved their 360s (brand loyalty); because they like the controller; because they are big on online gaming and love Xbox Live; because that's where their friends play; because it's familiar to them; because they dislike the Playstation for whatever reason; etc., etc. It's incredibly naive to say there is no reason to buy an Xbox, just because the exclusive catalog is shrinking.

Interesting video.

MS almost seems directionless right now.

One of the things I took away from that video was the impression that MS was chasing one fad or get-rich scheme after the next -- TV/game integration, user-created content models, free-to-play monetizing, buying up a huge 3rd party (Minecraft), etc. It all seems very scattershot, as if there is not a coherent vision. In comparison, Sony seems very focused. It's like MS doesn't really know what to do, except chase the money this way, then chase the money that way... I'm being a bit unfair, but that's how it came across to me. Lack of an overall or consistent vision.

True. Otoh, it's not an isolated piece of news. It happens in a context where Sony is filling us up with exclusive announcements, so many it's hard to keep track of them all. That began a process of asking MS, "Where are the games?" It also followed multiple previous flops of IPs on the Xbox, games we'll never see again. And several other, previous cancellations and a string of studio closures. So it's not just about Scalebound.

I don't get why all of a sudden, everyone is acting like Scorpio is going to make games look all that amazing. They'll look good, but I still feel like alternatives have been out there for ages for people who care and want top tier graphics.
[....]
A console with nicer graphics isn't the cure that ails what MS is suffering from currently.

Well, a lot of people don't play on PC; they call it a "console war" for a reason. It'll be interesting to see how much better the 3rd party games will look on Scorpio, vs. Pro. I wonder. I'm sure DF will tell us about differences, but how important will they be, when 3rd parties have little incentive to prioritize development on Scorpio and we are at a level of diminishing returns anyhow?

I have a feeling Scorpio will function largely as a morale boost for Xbox fans -- something to make them feel better about their console of choice ("most powerful console in the world").

Cyberpunk 2077 hopefully, even though it's technically already been announced

Nah, CDPR will just focus on their own marketing for that one, when its ready to show. It's still years away, and who knows which platforms it will ship on. Earliest we see any gameplay of Cyberpunk is 2018.

Nah, CDPR will just focus on their own marketing for that one, when its ready to show. It's still years away, and who knows which platforms it will ship on. Earliest we see any gameplay of Cyberpunk is 2018.
Implying that it may not come out on console? That'd be a surprise after The Witcher 3's success on consoles

Zeta Oni

Serious question:

What are the odds they show off a spin-off game?

Like an ODST 2.

I just don't think 343 has been working on Halo 6 only since the release of Halo 5. We know that they are a big studio, and while a lot of their staff isn't all in game development, they have to have quite a lot of devs there.

Now previously I would have assumed that there was a small team focused on Halo 6 right around the time Halo 5 released that got ramped up as the DLC for 5 winded down mid 2016, but I'm kinda split on that. Mainly because while the DLC for 5 was great, the monthly release schedule and actual content of the releases make me think that there were not many devs dedicated to Halo 5 DLC. Just a few small dedicated teams like the forge team.

Then there's Halo Wars 2, which while bearing the Halo name, I am guessing isn't taking up a lot of devs on 343's side given Creative Affinity's involvement in the project. Its possible CA is doing most of the the game dev side and the 343 staff on the project are there for story and art design related reasons.

This all being taken into account (along with a grain of salt) paints a messy picture, but I just get the feeling 343 has a team that's working on something entirely separate from Halo 6.

I have a feeling Scorpio will function largely as a morale boost for Xbox fans -- something to make them feel better about their console of choice ("most powerful console in the world").

That's honestly how I see it which is why you've seen the same statement regarding the system regurgitated time and time again. It just feels hollow at this point with what little we've seen or heard.

Head.spawn

Ah. Well. In that case, temper expectations massively. Although, getting the first look at 1 or 2 3rd party multiplatform titles could still constitute as new.

I'd be shocked if they didn't have at least a handful of new titles that we didn't know about announced between Scorpio reveal, e3 and Gamescom. Besides the expected titles.

RibMan

A lot of good points in the video.

I agree that Microsoft haven't shown as much commitment this gen to Japanese developers (and their games) as they did last-gen, and that when compared to the 360, the Xbox One's library looks spotty. I don't agree with associating 2017's Xbox problems on a guy who hasn't worked at Xbox since 2013, but I understand the hesitance around criticizing Phil Spencer.

It's becoming increasingly clear that the cancellation of Scalebound has had a big impact (at least, among core gamers) on consumer confidence in the Xbox brand. Microsoft need to make sure that they don't botch Crackdown 3, because that game is now being positioned -- by fans and the media -- as the last 2014 promise that could also turn out to be BS. I hope they know what they're doing with that game.

UraMallas said:
From what the insiders have said on this site, there really isn't a way for this to happen, correct? Like, there is nothing in the pipeline from MS besides the games we know because all the studios are working on the Big 3 or something we already know about.

If they have few that is new then that would be a disaster. I highly doubt that they're walking into E3 with the same palette of software that they've been relying on for a decade -- especially since they have Scorpio coming out this year.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I'd like new things, fresh ideas like Sunset Overdrive. I just don't care about seeing crackdown 3 and sea of thieves again, and I definitely don't care about Halo any more after 4 and 5.

I'd like for them to make a sequel to SO. While it never fully clicked with me the thing they went for is interesting.

But I do think we'll see some new stuff as well that they've yet to talk about. Hopefully.

You mean the E3 they re-introduced The Last Guardian (released less than two years later), Uncharted 4 (released less than two years later), RIGS (VR, released less than two years later), and Horizon: Zero Dawn (releasing about 2.5 years later)?

They peppered the 2015 show with new marketing deals and some core gamer wishlist stuff, but the show itself had worthwhile new content as well.

They aren't struggling, they're just starting their back half of the generation gameplan, and as we've seen on both the Xbox and Xbox 360 that simply doesn't include funding much in the way of new high dollar IPs. It's Halo/Gears/Forza time with variant consoles (Scorpio, Slim, and whatever Master Chief/Gears/etc. paint job du jour they want to throw out) piled on top. This generation they've innovated the addition of a >$100 "elite" controller to this cycle.

Microsoft does just enough to rope in as many loyalists as they can in the first ~2-4 years of a generation, then start to money pump those loyalists without mercy for the rest of the generation. This is what they mean when they say they want to be "like Nintendo", but they lack the variety in IP offerings to hide the tactic as capably.

Sony isn't morally superior on this front by the way, they just want to find more cash cow IPs and have also found a nice pricing window to put out AA first party games, largely thanks to the dual benefits of not paying royalties (why this window doesn't really exist for 3rd parties) and having strong market penetration in all major regions (rewarding a more diverse catalog).

Nintendo is Japan-centric, MS is America-centric. As a result they each have only so much profit they can find stepping outside of their core scope. Sony can make things like R&C, Gravity Rush 2, The Last Guardian, etc. and find profitability in it thanks to their global presence.
Agreed.

Delpij

It's either go big or go home.

With Satya Nadella being notoriously pro-business and Phil Spencer not liking the idea of a Scorpio at all, it does look like they are killing the One, one way or another.

But since Spencer would like the Scorpio to start the next generation of gaming console right now, maybe they are just focusing their 1st and 3rd party development effort on Scorpio-first titles. I sure hope so.

I'd like for them to make a sequel to SO. While it never fully clicked with me the thing they went for is interesting.

But I do think we'll see some new stuff as well that they've yet to talk about. Hopefully.

They certainly have a well of franchises, I'd like to see them use some.

Sony pulled out the nostalgia card in 2015 when they didn't have much to show from first party. Can MS do the something similar?

Sony actually had a tonne more they could have shown that was launching soon, they didn't need at all, they have enough to show for their own dedicate event that still has surprise, the competition doesn't

Exactly, it has been like this since forever. I said in 2013 wait until sony's first party gets going, it's an impressive lineup the next few years on Playstation.

zoodoo

Funny seeing all the reaction on GAF after scalebound cancellation.

People outside of GAF dont even know what is scalebound.

I was excited for that game because of Platinum games and dragons but every reveal looked bad.

theWB27

It's either go big or go home.

With Satya Nadella being notoriously pro-business and Phil Spencer not liking the idea of a Scorpio at all, it does look like they are killing the One, one way or another.

But since Spencer would like the Scorpio to start the next generation of gaming console right now, maybe they are just focusing their 1st and 3rd party development effort on Scorpio-first titles. I sure hope so.

When did we hear Phil doesn't like Scorpio? When did we hear they went back on forward compatibility? When did we hear Phil wants Scorpio, the system he doesn't want, to start a new generation instead of playing this gens games with better visuals? When did they announce they'd make Scorpio first titles?

Chris1

Serious question:

What are the odds they show off a spin-off game?

Like an ODST 2.

I just don't think 343 has been working on Halo 6 only since the release of Halo 5. We know that they are a big studio, and while a lot of their staff isn't all in game development, they have to have quite a lot of devs there.

Now previously I would have assumed that there was a small team focused on Halo 6 right around the time Halo 5 released that got ramped up as the DLC for 5 winded down mid 2016, but I'm kinda split on that. Mainly because while the DLC for 5 was great, the monthly release schedule and actual content of the releases make me think that there were not many devs dedicated to Halo 5 DLC. Just a few small dedicated teams like the forge team.

Then there's Halo Wars 2, which while bearing the Halo name, I am guessing isn't taking up a lot of devs on 343's side given Creative Affinity's involvement in the project. Its possible CA is doing most of the the game dev side and the 343 staff on the project are there for story and art design related reasons.

This all being taken into account (along with a grain of salt) paints a messy picture, but I just get the feeling 343 has a team that's working on something entirely separate from Halo 6.
Halo 3 A or an ODST 2 type of game will happen IMO. No way there isn't a Halo or Gears this year. Halo Wars 2 doesn't count cause it was supposed to be out last year.

I don't think Halo 6 will be shown but I don't have any real reasoning just a hunch.

Top Bottom