• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Was Right: The Gaming Industry vs Donald Trump

Icolin

Banned
There's a lot of interesting tidbits in this video from developers and publishers on the issue. Well worth the watch.

RoKKeR

This is a fascinating and well-researched episode, with a lot of insightful comments from a variety of people around the industry – it feels like a real piece of journalism while still being a platform for his opinion. Really enjoyed it.

Vinc

This is a truly fantastic video. I like Colin Moriarty and the stuff he produces quite a bit, but this is frankly my favorite thing he's ever made I think.

Icolin

Banned
This is a fascinating and well-researched episode, with a lot of insightful comments from a variety of people around the industry – it feels like a real piece of journalism while still being a platform for his opinion. Really enjoyed it.

Completely agree. But that's how I felt about the last episode, and look what happened in the thread for that.

krae_man

Completely agree. But that's how I felt about the last episode, and look what happened in the thread for that.

I didn't think his last episode was anything special. He may as well have said "puppies and kittens are cute". "Artists should be allowed to make art" is lobbing softballs.

But yeah, I agree everyone just used the thread as a dumping ground for drive by "Fuck Colin" posts.

i have that flannel (hand me down from my bro who is a bit older than Colin)

just thought I'd point that out. thanks for the read

reson8or

He really needs to change the name from "Colin was right" to something else. It's antithetical to the quality and effort he is trying to convey. It comes off as childish and immediately puts me in "defensive mode" before even watching.

Vinc

He really needs to change the name from "Colin was right" to something else. It's antithetical to the quality and effort he is trying to convey. It comes off as childish and immediately puts me in "defensive mode" before even watching.

It's just an inside joke that actually means the opposite of the sentence's literal meaning. I totally get your point though.

I agree with this. It makes me not want to watch the videos.

Fat4all

Banned

Yeah, it's sort of like if instead of Jim called his show "Jimquisition", he instead called it "Thank God For Me".

Still, pretty good video.

Fantastic piece by Colin. I know he's been working his butt off to make this episode and I feel it was worth the work. Great viewing.

wiibomb

first episode I'm 100% with Collin on this.

It is also amazing how good the research he made is, it was very informative about the process of the industry as well as knowing what is probably to come after what that man is doing in US

Guys, here in Gaf it is extremely common, build bridges not walls, Gaf acts similar to most of Trump supporters, just "Fuck 'em!" and never even try to convince the other party.

I hate, I repeat, I hate, Trump and everything involved with him, but just segregating myself or the Trump supporters won't do any good change, I believe in the principle of diplomacy, and rather prefer the other party to shut down the conversation than me.

I agree 100% with you, one of my barriers with these episodes is exactly that name and how all the presentation of it acts like he thinks "he is aaaaalways right!"

Great video but damn he really needs to change the name of this. I am a Kinda Funny fan and get the Colin is Right joke but the name of the show doesn't portray what it's actually about.

Lime

Just FYI: His argument about this racist Muslimban is entirely motivated by the economic loss, and not the human & moral cost. But that's perhaps not surprising from a selfish Ayn Rand follower with a Don't Tread On Me avatar.

Second, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth is him criticizing the Read Only Memories developers. He doesn't understand their situation and their context for why they decide to tell fascists to fuck off. I don't think this should be called a great video at all due to this criticism. "Bees with honey" is such a misguided view of how discourse with bigots work.

Third, his prior video tells me enough about his level of empathy and his allegiance to anyone outside himself.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

This and his Twitter handle keep me from ingesting any of his content.

Fisty

Misguided opinion on the 2064 ROM tweet. The fascists and Nazi's can't be reasoned with or "turned" so it's not even worth trying to cater to them. Fuck em.

Stay wrong, Colin

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
It's great seeing Colin go back to some journalism-ass-journalism.

They're probably IGN copyrighted, but I'd love him to turn his "History of..." articles into videos so more people get to experience them. He's very skilled at deep dives on topics.

Pyrokai

I keep worrying that effects of the orange turd will seep into the games industry. Whether buy it be losing immigrant talent, trade wars with Asian countries, or a plethora of many reasons.

At work so I haven't watched the video yet, but I'll give it a watch tonight.

Gaming is the only thing keeping me sane these days. I hope all will be okay :(

It was a good episode. Well-reasoned and interesting quotes and comments.

That being said, still bristle at this idea that if we just listened to Trump voters and had a conversation we'd all be better off and could join hands in harmony. I'm sure for a fairly well off white guy in San Fran it seems that way. He should probably leave that to the actual minorities and people that are being affected.

Fat4all

Banned
Misguided opinion on the 2064 ROM tweet. The fascists and Nazi's can't be reasoned with or "turned" so it's not even worth trying to cater to them. Fuck em.

Yeah, I agree with this.

Sometimes a hearty "fuck you" or a punch in the face is necessary.

LordRaptor

Just FYI: His argument about this racist Muslimban is entirely motivated by the economic loss, and not the human & moral cost.

If bigots acting only in their self interest can be persuaded that discrimination is wrong on a purely functional economic level, you know... I'll take that as a partial win.

Lime

If bigots acting only in their self interest can be persuaded that discrimination is wrong on a purely functional economic level, you know... I'll take that as a partial win.

The problem is that if racism is an economical gain, then people like Colin will have no problem being racist and perhaps even defend it.

joe2187

Banned
I dont agree with colin about Trump supporters at all. There is no building bridges with people who "Still" support him. Anybody that is Pro-trump is automatically not worth talking with until they denounce their golden god.

"Maybe they voted him because of economic differences, maybe because of jobs, maybe because of finances, maybe because of religion"

and to that I say, "Fuck You"

You're supporting the man to be president of the United States, A man who is supposed to represent the people, represent America to the world. You're not voting for a man to represent your paycheck, or your house, or your car or what god you worship. You're voting for a person is to be a "Leader" to the people. Who is supposed to be the example to look up to, and make the important decisions that affect "EVERYONE".

When you vote out of selfishness and self interests, you're a fool.

Everyone in the entire world told you how terrible this man was, everyone in the world told you how selfish and egomaniacal this man was. Everyone could see how he was blatantly lying and deceiving his followers. You were too stupid to see it over your self important world view and will get fucked over when it comes time for Trump to say that he doesnt need you.

I will not give leeway to the people who supported a power that decides, I'm not a citizen of my country, that the color of my skin is what defines me, that which god I pray to is more important the who I am as person, to the people that say I dont matter because "Fuck you I need a paycheck"

Fuck you trump supporters, wake the fuck up or stay the fuck out of my life.

RK128

While I strongly disagree with the concept of being fair and open to Trump supporters (I just cannot after all the horrid things Trump is pulling and plans on pulling), Colin did a wonderful job with the video.

Not only is it very informative and well researched, but getting quotes from people in the gaming industry and getting their input was impressive honestly. Hope we see more pieces like this in future episodes Colin was Right. He clearly puts a lot of time and effort behind his videos.

GonzoCR

Stay wrong, Colin

Agreed. Can't really reason with people who see minority protagonists or even background characters as "SJW pandering".

Really good stuff. I really hope that anonymous source's warning that games may become $69.99 doesn't come true. I can barely justify spending 60 bucks for new games nowadays.

Ponn

Banned

Let us know how that discussion goes, Reddit is open right now.

If he had empathy he might be able to see past his position of privelage and understand why some people might find it difficult to try and come together with individuals who believe them to be subhuman.

I thought Colin prided himself as a student of history. How did the bees with honey shit work with hitler when countries kept acquiescing to his minor demands thinking he'd be satiated.

I really enjoyed this episode, it's refreshing to see someone try to take as much time as this to contact so many sources in this debate, to collect a significant amount of information from which to make claims, and to try to forge a relatively positive message out of it.

I'll admit that I often find Colin to be the biggest impediment to me enjoying Kinda Funny's coverage on topics, not so much for his politics necessarily (though I admit there's plenty I disagree with him on) as what seems to have been a recurring tendency to argue his points in discussions with such vehemence and in such an unrelenting fashion as to often have it feel like he dominates every discussion he is in while I'm more interested in seeing an even spread of opinions being openly considered amongst the group.

That said, this video has shifted my perspective of him a bit. It seems he put a lot of work into researching this topic and I think his argument ends up being relatively open minded and considerate of the true economic, personal, and industry-wide ramifications of the situation. He makes relatively few bold claims and does a lot to instead showcase the opinions of others, and I really dig that. Even when there's claims by him in the episode that I don't sympathize with entirely I get the sense that those claims are made with an understanding and acknowledgement that others may disagree.

If he had empathy he might be able to see past his position of privelage and understand why some people might find it difficult to try and come together with individuals who believe them to be subhuman.

I think this is a good way to summarize why I always seem to have a problem with Colin even if I still find him a pretty smart and alright guy. He really doesn't seem to be able to empathize at all with people who aren't him and regularly fetishizes "the middle ground" where "all the intelligent people have good conversations" when in all actuality he comes across more or less like he's in his own bubble all the time.

phanphare

Banned
colin's best episode yet

I love that he's getting back to his more journalistic roots instead of being solely a video game personality. seems like it's working for him too going off his attitude and demeanor in recent Kinda Funny content.

Phu

Banned
Uhhh, at the end Colin says that if/when he plays 2064, in the back of his head, he knows the creator of the game doesn't want people like him [conservatives] playing it at all [right after confirming that he didn't vote for Trump]. But the tweet wasn't about conservatism as a whole, and his follow up questions/responses confirms Conn doesn't inherently have a problem with conservatism. The tweet was about people who voted for Trump or support his fascist regime, so I'm not sure how I should take that when Colin says it applies to him.

Lime

Yup.

20161110_trump.png

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

This for me. Granted I never paid any attention on IGN or Kinda Funny, so I am likely missing the point beyond the literal ego-centric vibe the series sends out. It is a turnoff, though I gave his Switch video a look and came away more impressed than I expected.

Uhhh, at the end Colin says that if/when he plays 2064, in the back of his head, he knows the creator of the game doesn't want people like him [conservatives] playing it at all [right after confirming that he didn't vote for Trump]. But the tweet wasn't about conservatism as a whole, and his follow up questions/responses confirms Conn doesn't inherently have a problem with conservatism. The tweet was about people who voted for Trump or support his fascist regime, so I'm not sure how I should take that when Colin says it applies to him.
Colin is full of shit

Fuchsdh

Yeah, it's sort of like if instead of Jim called his show "Jimquisition", he instead called it "Thank God For Me".

Still, pretty good video.

Yeah, agreed. Also, no idea why the framing is so bizarre, man needs to up his video production game.

But the actual content is quite good. Never watched an episode before, but I was impressed. I mean, talking about the nuts and bolts of trade wars is far and away the most intelligent tack I've seen on approaching how it'd affect video games that I haven't seen *any* talk about before.

Uhhh, at the end Colin says that if/when he plays 2064, in the back of his head, he knows the creator of the game doesn't want people like him [conservatives] playing it at all [right after confirming that he didn't vote for Trump]. But the tweet wasn't about conservatism as a whole, and his follow up questions/responses confirms Conn doesn't inherently have a problem with conservatism. The tweet was about people who voted for Trump or support his fascist regime, so I'm not sure how I should take that when Collin says it applies to him.

While he likes to say he didn't vote for Trump if you hear Colin speak often you'll see that he believes in a lot of the same things and often emphasizes with Trump's supporters. So he probably still feels like that tweet was directed to him.

I remember he said he knows lots of Trump supporters and none of them are the least bit racist, homophobic, xenophobic, mysogynist and that it was our fault for not understanding why they voted for Trump. That was 100% grade A bullshit. You can never know for sure what someone else really believes. But he constantly says shit like this.

nynt9

I dont agree with colin about Trump supporters at all. There is no building bridges with people who "Still" support him. Anybody that is Pro-trump is automatically not worth talking with until they denounce their golden god.

"Maybe they voted him because of economic differences, maybe because of jobs, maybe because of finances, maybe because of religion"

and to that I say, "Fuck You"

You're supporting the man to be president of the United States, A man who is supposed to represent the people, represent America to the world. You're not voting for a man to represent your paycheck, or your house, or your car or what god you worship. You're voting for a person is to be a "Leader" to the people. Who is supposed to be the example to look up to, and make the important decisions that affect "EVERYONE".

When you vote out of selfishness and self interests, you're a fool.

Everyone in the entire world told you how terrible this man was, everyone in the world told you how selfish and egomaniacal this man was. Everyone could see how he was blatantly lying and deceiving his followers. You were too stupid to see it over your self important world view and will get fucked over when it comes time for Trump to say that he doesnt need you.

I will not give leeway to the people who supported a power that decides, I'm not a citizen of my country, that the color of my skin is what defines me, that which god I pray to is more important the who I am as person, to the people that say I dont matter because "Fuck you I need a paycheck"

Fuck you trump supporters, wake the fuck up or stay the fuck out of my life.

Pretty much. I gave people the benefit of the doubt of being ignorant voters who were single issue and didn't take him seriously on his words. But now that he's openly enacting fascism, there is no room left for sympathy for people who still support Trump.

It seems like after the backlash to his last few videos, Colin went for some low hanging fruit topic to earn some good will, but yet again his shitty politics resulted in it blowing up in his face.

Swiggins

Agreed. Can't really reason with people who see minority protagonists or even background characters as "SJW pandering".

This. I had an acquaintance of mine go off on how he was appalled that they'd "disrespect" the Mafia series by making the third one have a black protagonist.

When I asked him why, all he could say was, "The Mafia is an inherently white concept, it doesn't make any sense to have a black protagonist in a mafia game/movie."

...When I told him that the Black Mafia was a thing that existed he just laughed and said that you couldn't compare the Black Mafia to the White Mafia.

I just sorta stopped talking to him after that...

Top Bottom