• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Was Right: The Gaming Industry vs Donald Trump

Fat4all

Banned
Uhhh, at the end Colin says that if/when he plays 2064, in the back of his head, he knows the creator of the game doesn't want people like him [conservatives] playing it at all [right after confirming that he didn't vote for Trump]. But the tweet wasn't about conservatism as a whole, and his follow up questions/responses confirms Conn doesn't inherently have a problem with conservatism. The tweet was about people who voted for Trump or support his fascist regime, so I'm not sure how I should take that when Colin says it applies to him.

Yeah, that was excruciating.

He should've probably stuck to the economic breakdown and analytics.

Swiggins

Let us know how that discussion goes, Reddit is open right now.

giphy.gif

Ponn

Banned
While he likes to say he didn't vote for Trump if you hear Colin speak often you'll see that he believes in a lot of the same things and often emphasizes with Trump's supporters. So he probably still feels like that tweet was directed to him.

I remember he said he knows lots of Trump supporters and none of them are the least bit racist, homophobic, xenophobic, mysogynist and that it was our fault for not understanding why they voted for Trump. That was 100% grade A bullshit. You can never know for sure what someone else really believes. But he constantly says shit like this.

Don't you trust a white straight male with sycophant followers to be able to spot racists and bigots after a couple of minutes?

Yeah, agreed. Also, no idea why the framing is so bizarre, man needs to up his video production game.

But the actual content is quite good. Never watched an episode before, but I was impressed. I mean, talking about the nuts and bolts of trade wars is far and away the most intelligent tack I've seen on approaching how it'd affect video games that I haven't seen *any* talk about before.

FWIW, this series is his first foray into actual video production. He's writing and editing all of these which is something he hasn't done before. There's certainly some room for improvement, but it's not bad for his ~7th edited video.

Auctopus

Wasn't Colin being an ignorant bigot on Twitter whilst Danny O'Dwyer was trying to talk some sense/perspective in to him? How is he championing this cause now?

Fliesen

yup.

the whole 'we should reach across the aisle and unite' narrative is really hard to go with when it comes to Trump's politics.
Doesn't Colin realize that when even he admits some might consider him an 'optimist' during times like these, it can only be because he's in an incredibly privileged situation.

Beyond that, well researched and informative episode.

I dont agree with colin about Trump supporters at all. There is no building bridges with people who "Still" support him. Anybody that is Pro-trump is automatically not worth talking with until they denounce their golden god.

"Maybe they voted him because of economic differences, maybe because of jobs, maybe because of finances, maybe because of religion"

and to that I say, "Fuck You"

You're supporting the man to be president of the United States, A man who is supposed to represent the people, represent America to the world. You're not voting for a man to represent your paycheck, or your house, or your car or what god you worship. You're voting for a person is to be a "Leader" to the people. Who is supposed to be the example to look up to, and make the important decisions that affect "EVERYONE".

When you vote out of selfishness and self interests, you're a fool.

Everyone in the entire world told you how terrible this man was, everyone in the world told you how selfish and egomaniacal this man was. Everyone could see how he was blatantly lying and deceiving his followers. You were too stupid to see it over your self important world view and will get fucked over when it comes time for Trump to say that he doesnt need you.

I will not give leeway to the people who supported a power that decides, I'm not a citizen of my country, that the color of my skin is what defines me, that which god I pray to is more important the who I am as person, to the people that say I dont matter because "Fuck you I need a paycheck"

Fuck you trump supporters, wake the fuck up or stay the fuck out of my life.

Exactly. On top of being young and healthy, I have free healthcare from another country. But somehow if I had voted Trump based on the single issue of getting rid of the ACA that I don't need that's somehow acceptable? Fuck that. There's something called the greater good.

I thought Colin prided himself as a student of history. How did the bees with honey shit work with hitler when countries kept acquiescing to his minor demands thinking he'd be satiated.

I'm sure there is an alternate reality where FDR called up Hitler and made him pinky swear to stop the whole concentration camp thing.

Wasn't Colin being an ignorant bigot on Twitter whilst Danny O'Dwyer was trying to talk some sense/perspective in to him? How is he championing this cause now?
He was being a moron right after the election telling people that they were being dramatic and Danny tried to set him straight

Turns out people weren't being dramatic as shown with the last two weeks

AkimboChainz

Neo Member
If he had empathy he might be able to see past his position of privelage and understand why some people might find it difficult to try and come together with individuals who believe them to be subhuman.
While I agree with what your saying, is it right to essentially also call the other side subhuman? Going back and forth with hostility doesnt accomplish anything, and we are seing a lot of that now. (Not saying you are doing this but I see that a lot.)

It was on election night IIRc, when Colin was being a condescending tool bag to people who were legit concerned about the ramifications of a Trump presidency, and lo and behold here were are 2 weeks in and those same people's fears are being realized. People had legitimate reasons to be concerned. People whose lives and livelihoods were under attack by things like the repeal of ACA, or the Muslim ban, but thankfully we had Colin Moriarty to tell those people they were overreacting because, you know, I'm sure those issues effect him deeply.

Alucrid

Banned
While I agree with what your saying, is it right to essentially also call the other side subhuman? Going back and forth with hostility doesnt accomplish anything, and we are seing a lot of that now. (Not saying you are doing this but I see that a lot.)

he didn't call trump supporters subhuman. he said that trump supporters view others as subhuman.

he said that people on twitter were being hyperbolic, to relax and that the sun will come up tomorrow. he said he doesn't tell people to fuck off, but that seems like a fuck off to me

Bgamer90

Banned

He pretty much said that people were being too dramatic back in November. Guess he feels differently now.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Then why are you asking the question? He is specifically referring to Trump's supporters seeing others as subhuman.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Good video until the 2064 stuff.

Yeah Colin, the people being targetted should be the ones to reach across the aisle for 'unity and peace" and with respect towards the white supremacists aiming to destroy them.

I don't know how a white male from California can say this to minorities with a straight face.

Yeah I'm real sorry it bums you out that minorities are reacting negatively to facism and racism, stick with the economic arguments please.

Curufinwe

Uhhh, at the end Colin says that if/when he plays 2064, in the back of his head, he knows the creator of the game doesn't want people like him [conservatives] playing it at all [right after confirming that he didn't vote for Trump].

His ignorance of the difference between conservative and Trump supporter is entirely predictable. There are countries where the mainstream conservative political party isn't even slightly fascist, unlike the modern Republican party.

It's not an equivalency, so stop with that nonsense. It's frankly bullshit. Trump supporters think less of someone because they are Muslim, or gay, or black. I think less of Trump supporters because they are racists, or xenophobic, or homophobic, or mysoginists. Do you not see a difference? If the KKK says they hate black people, and I say I hate the KKK, does that put us on equal moral footing? Enough with that shit already.

really, change the name of the show.
I get the reference, but people who don't, are (or hopefully are / should be) put off by "Colin was right".

Lime

The way that he talks about the Muslim ban through entirely economical optics reeks of privilege and that he doesn't actually have any skin in the game.

It was on election night IIRc, when Colin was being a condescending tool bag to people who were legit concerned about the ramifications of a Trump presidency, and lo and behold here were are 2 weeks in and those same people's fears are being realized. People had legitimate reasons to be concerned. People whose lives and livelihoods were under attack by things like the repeal of ACA, or the Muslim ban, but thankfully we had Colin Moriarty to tell those people they were overreacting because, you know, I'm sure those issues effect him deeply.

It always bugged me that a man who grew up in Liberal Long Island, Liberal Boston, and now lives in Liberal San Francisco said to everyone "calm down you are overreacting."

Fliesen

If i call someone a fascist, an idiot, a bigot or a racist i'm not stripping them of their personhood / humanity / right to exist. I'm just saying their beliefs / opinions are utter shit.

Unlike calling a transgender person and abomination, a gay person a sinner / freak or a black person a monkey.

Both are (intentionally) insulting, only one is dehumanizing.

Permanently A

Yeah, the whole reach across the isle shit doesn't work when the people across the aisle are advocating for "peaceful ethnic cleansing."

AkimboChainz

Neo Member
Then why are you asking the question? He is specifically referring to Trump's supporters seeing others as subhuman.
Because there are two sides, Trump supporters and those who hate him. I personally don't think yelling and screaming at the other side accomplishes anything, although I certainly understand the anger and frustration. That was the point Colin was trying to make in the video

Yeah, the whole reach across the isle shit doesn't work when the people across the aisle are advocating for "peaceful ethnic cleansing."

Especially when Trump supporters are the same people who spent the last 8 years refusing to give an inch to Obama. Now we need to come together? Fuck that and fuck them.

'I even know some of them. I'm sure you do too.'

A lot of it is said like he's reading an autocue... but he'll get better with time.

Greg is by far the best of the two though. Makes me laugh every time.

Buzzman

Banned
I don't mean to be rude and all, and this is a gaming forum. But it's just that I'm finding it really hard to care ebout games costing $10 more when a fascist is curbing human rights.

Edit: Of course that makes me sound like I'm threadshitting. There are definitely problems that are going to arise in the industry after Trump, but I'm not sure the economic reason is the big offender.

timberger

So, how exactly is that 2064 dev tweet excluding him from playing lol?

It isn't, but as we've seen in the past (And from actual posts he has made on Neogaf), there's nothing Colin loves more than jumping at the chance to play the martyr, even when he has no grounds to.

It isn't, but as we've seen in the past (And from actual posts he has made on Neogaf), there's nothing Colin loves more than jumping at the chance to play the martyr, even when he has no grounds to.

When will we stop the persecution of the straight, white, middle class video game journalists?

v1lla21

We should be the ones to come together and reach out? nah. We've been trying to for decades yet we've always been met with resistance. The dev's tweet was directed towards Trump's supporters not conservatives as a whole.

Ever since he came out as against minimum wage in its entirety, going as far as to say "if you aren't happy with your pay, work somewhere else" which might just be one of the dumbest things he's ever said, I can't stand the guy anymore. I used to tolerate his political views, but lately it's like it's all he ever talks about, he's become increasingly preachy, and it just pisses me off how wrong the guy is and how arrogantly he maintains his self perceived superiority for having the courage to be "different" in this relatively liberal industry.

On the bright side, now that he's got a show dedicated to being his personal soapbox, his presence in the other shows seems to have diminished significantly, which I'm totally okay with.

Why do people pay so much attention to Colin when he is generally so callous? He cant be the only conservative voice in gaming?

Lime

When will we stop the persecution of the straight, white, middle class video game journalists?

Honestly I'm just waiting on the day when Colin doubles down on the far-right bigots in his audience and start throwing out 'SJW', 'Political Correctness', and 'feminazi' while targeting marginalized people in video games.

AkimboChainz

Neo Member
It's not an equivalency, so stop with that nonsense. It's frankly bullshit. Trump supporters think less of someone because they are Muslim, or gay, or black. I think less of Trump supporters because they are racists, or xenophobic, or homophobic, or mysoginists. Do you not see a difference? If the KKK says they hate black people, and I say I hate the KKK, does that put us on equal moral footing? Enough with that shit already.
I 100% agree its not an equal comparison, but what I'm saying is simply yelling at the other side accomplishes nothing and only adds fuel to the fire for Trump supporters to hate on everyone else. We should absolutely denounce hatred of anyone simply because of race, religion, or gender, but simply saying "you're a racist, fuck you" doesn't help in my opinion.

Top Bottom