• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Was Right: The Gaming Industry vs Donald Trump

While I agree with what your saying, is it right to essentially also call the other side subhuman? Going back and forth with hostility doesnt accomplish anything, and we are seing a lot of that now. (Not saying you are doing this but I see that a lot.)

That's not a fair comparison, because people on the right are very often judged for their words and actions, not who they are.

LordRaptor

When did he ever say this? Also are we actually comparing Hitler with Trump and his voters with Nazis!?

I mean, it doesn't have to be Hitler. There's a bunch of historical figure parallels who shared similar beliefs on how the head of state should act. Mussolini, Franco, Tojo, Mosley...

I 100% agree its not an equal comparison, but what I'm saying is simply yelling at the other side accomplishes nothing and only adds fuel to the fire for Trump supporters to hate on everyone else. We should absolutely denounce hatred of anyone simply because of race, religion, or gender, but simply saying "you're a racist, fuck you" doesn't help in my opinion.
What does help when the other side wants reasoned arguments for why you should be allowed to live?

What's your point?

He says he left the Republican Party over Trump, but if it was down to just the two of them, he would pick Trump over Hillary. So in spite of everything bad that Trump represents that caused Colin to leave the party, he still thinks that would have been a better choice than Hillary. Then there's his Twitter comment after the election that claimed people were overreacting, pretty much disregarding how a large group of people would be affected.

Awesome video.

I wonder if potential tariffs and increased costs in US will make games even more expensive here in Canada? Or do we have our own distribution system?

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
A very good video and I'm glad he took the 2064 devs to task a little for their awful tweet.

Only awful thing here is your complete lack of understanding in regards to the tweet.
----
Despite liking Tim I think I'm going to cut their content out of my life. Colin's constant showcases of lack of empathy are hard to tolerate even when you want to see it from the best side. I even understand that he may not even be that as a person and people are always more complex but it just is too much especially in times like these.

Not that it matters cause in his words people like me can fuck of anyway only got business if you like them without reservation. I tried but can't anymore.

You walk in lock-step with a fascist bigot warmonger... guess what you're a fucking Nazi

See this is the problem here, assumptions and insults by the side that likes to think they're right. If your platform is "you need to hate this person as much as we do or else we hate you too" that's not very healthy for discourse.

Fat4all

Banned
I mean, it doesn't have to be Hitler. There's a bunch of historical figure parallels who shared similar beliefs on how the head of state should act. Mussolini, Franco, Tojo, Mosley...

A veritable fascism buffet!

See this is the problem here, assumptions and insults by the side that like to think they're right. If you're platform is "you need to hate this person as much as we do or else we hate you too" that's not very healthy for discourse.

People who voted for a fascist so they could get an extra $100 back during tax season still voted for a sexist, racist fascist.

So either they support that point of view, or they don't mind that point of view representing them.

He says he left the Republican Party over Trump, but if it was down to just the two of them, he would pick Trump over Hillary. So in spite of everything bad that Trump represents that caused Colin to leave the party, he still thinks that would have been a better choice than Hillary. Then there's his Twitter comment after the election that claimed people were overreacting, pretty much disregarding how a large group of people would be affected.

I would be curious to see his views on the anti-LGBT and anti-Muslim EOs (beyond the economic POV).

VDenter

Banned
Yes. And if and when Trump stops pandering to the alt-right/neo nazis, maybe we'll stop.

Look i am 100% convinced Trump is a piece of shit and his voters are racist at least some of them are. However comparing Trump with Hitler seems to be missing the point in just how bad Hitler and the Nazis actually were. If there is one thing Trump wont do is put millions of people in gas chambers and kill them. This kind of comparison is actually disgusting and disrespectful to all the people who died in WW2 under the Nazi regime.

Lime

See this is the problem here, assumptions and insults by the side that like to think they're right. If you're platform is "you need to hate this person as much as we do or else we hate you too" that's not very healthy for discourse.

In before the lock.

Fisty isn't wrong. Look at what damage Trump and the Republicans have already done in the course of a week.

If it walks like a fascist bigot warmonger and talks like a fascist bigot warmonger....

But Colin is more concerned with how much his video games are going to cost and the loss of good programmers from Iran that the industry can exploit to create games for him. :'(

hawk2025

It's been two weeks of active policy.

These are no longer assumptions.

Wake the fuck up.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Why do people pay so much attention to Colin when he is generally so callous? He cant be the only conservative voice in gaming?

He's actually kind of taken up that mantle. He's claimed that there are many closeted conservatives in the gaming industry who have thanked him for his outspokenness because they are too afraid.

Regardless of whether or not you are familiar with the "inside joke", title definitely doesn't do him any favors. Should rename it back to his old video series "conversation with colin"

When did he ever say this? Also are we actually comparing Hitler with Trump and his voters with Nazis!?

Yes. Rightfully so if you've actually been paying attention. And no not all Trump supporters are nazis.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
See this is the problem here, assumptions and insults by the side that likes to think they're right. If your platform is "you need to hate this person as much as we do or else we hate you too" that's not very healthy for discourse.

We have a President that is ill fit for the job, propping people into positions where they aren't fit for the job at best and corrupt or sabotaging at worst, has actual pro-nazi people close to him in his ear, and checking off literally every checkbox on how to head into an autocratic nation.

Your dialogue has no merit.

.JayZii

Banned
Feel free to offer likable qualities and/or discuss them. Saying "you're mad, so I don't want to discuss things with you" isn't helping cultivate a healthy discourse either.

The problem is that sitting in the middle allowing things to happen means, that to some degree, you're a party to it.

You don't have to insult everyone who disagrees with you, but you're allowed to note that by not pushing back against an agenda you are helping make it a reality.

I also have to question why some discourage associating a person's support with the person they support. In history, supporting a horrible person like Hitler - well, if people called you a Nazi, I don't think we would disagree much at all with that association, even if the person disavowed Nazism. So at best, I guess we can say that Trump supporters do not care about the people Trump hurts?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Look i am 100% convinced Trump is a piece of shit and his voters are racist at least some of them are. However comparing Trump with Hitler seems to be missing the point in just how bad Hitler and the Nazis actually were. If there is one thing Trump wont do is put millions of people in gas chambers and kill them. This kind of comparison is actually disgusting and disrespectful to all the people who died in WW2 under the Nazi regime.

Do you think Hitler started off and campaigned on putting Jews in camps and murdering them by the millions?

Read "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" and realize just how closely the actions of the current administration is mirroring that of the Third Reich

He really needs to change the name from "Colin was right" to something else. It's antithetical to the quality and effort he is trying to convey. It comes off as childish and immediately puts me in "defensive mode" before even watching.

Same. Can it be more arrogant? it's a ridiculous name. But so is kinda funny (not that funny).

Fisty

Am I taking crazy pills or are you reaching for sympathy and understanding with this

Lothars

I don't agree with you at all, I don't think anyone should wait till Trump starts putting people into camps to call out his policies and actions that are going to do really damage to the enviroment, to minority classes, to people in general. He needs to be called out now and taken action against because sitting back and pretending everything is okay is only going to do more harm than good.

With all these complaints about the title of the show, which is clearly supposed to be tongue and cheek, I wonder why I don't see these same complaints filling the Jimquisition threads to such a degree when being arrogant and condescending is part of his whole shtick. (that is also clearly tongue and cheek)

Jeels

Why the hell are we giving a gaming commentator attention on his (shitty) political views on the gaming side of the forum?

Fat4all

Banned
With all these complaints about the title of the show, which is clearly supposed to be tongue and cheek, I wonder why I don't see these same complaints filling the Jimquisition threads to such a degree when being arrogant and condescending is part of his whole shtick. (that is also clearly tongue and cheek)

Because the name of his show isn't "Thank God For Me".

I said this earlier in the thread.

Because he consistently shits on himself and makes fun of himself and very blatantly demonstrates how able he is to take the piss out of himself

SomTervo

Why the hell are we giving a gaming commentator attention on his (shitty) political views on the gaming side of the forum?

It looks like he's talking about how politics are affecting the gaming industry?

Which is relevant?

(Haven't watched the video. Read the OP.)

dakun

Colin is so much more interesting when he doesn't read a script like a robot. Just drop the script, get a few notes and start talking about them. It's so much better.

If he wasn't so arrogant, I could see the sarcasm in the title, but given how arrogant he is, you know on some level he believes it, even if he kids himself into thinking it's completely sarcastic.

People that are not being targeted will constantly tell you to reach across the aisle for the sensible discussion in the middle. I've grown tired of listening to White Moderates on YouTube that aim to let their viewers know how sensible or intelligent they are because they can see both sides. Biggy, PhillyD, and Colin.

I have no reason to believe that Colin is playing a character when his social media aligns with his stances on his various shows. And like others mentioned Jim doesn't name his shown "Thank God For Me."

Colin's political opinion, generalization of the left, and defense of generalization for the right has never changed from platform. He will say something ignorant, get called out on it, double down, and then run away.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Colin is so much more interesting when he doesn't read a script like a robot. Just drop the script, get a few notes and start talking about them. It's so much better.

yeah. i'm not feeling it when it looks like he's reading off something. whereas when he goes off the cuff on the other shows he can sometimes ALMOST convince me to take his side :D

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Travel-Tip-Tuesday-Read-A-History-Book-square-680x680.jpg

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.

It's not just unhealthy, it's absolutely dangerous. People are okay with committing violence against Nazis (like Richard Spencer), but the definition of who a Nazi is has been watered down so much that you have some people calling half the country Nazis. This is crazy. And it's coming from the 'progressive', 'empathetic', left.

Colin, if you are reading this, that was exceptional. You hit every nail on the head with great research and anecdotal evidence. Absolutely fantastic episode and it made me really quite angry at some of the people out there, but also more sympathetic and understanding to others.

America needs to be hopeful in a time where hope isn't in much quantity. Instead people are making it darker and harder for people to communicate to each other about their problems.

ezekial45

Banned
And of course this video ends with a message about how liberals are the ones being exclusionary for not allowing hate speech and bigoted individuals to continue on. Of course.

I was on board with this video before that, though. It was a largely fair video, but I find it ironic at how Colin is so clueless and unaware of how privileged he is to be a person NOT on the receiving end of hate speech and toxic/destructive laws that seek to target specific people in this country, then have the nerve to tell others that THEY should be more tolerant to conservatives that support and share hateful views. So I don't think his argument holds water at all.

Fat4all

Banned
It also needs to be stated that Jim says this ironically.

Well yeah, that's the joke. Jim softens you up by giving you solid information, all the while shitting on himself and even sometimes his own past opinions, then then he tells you to praise his existence. It's great.

With this, the 'sarcasm'-ish joke is the title. It doesn't nearly land as well.

Alucrid

Banned
Colin, if you are reading this, that was exceptional. You hit every nail on the head with great research and anecdotal evidence. Absolutely fantastic episode and it made me really quite angry at some of the people out there, but also more sympathetic and understanding to others.

America needs to be hopeful in a time where hope isn't in much quantity. Instead people are making it darker and harder for people to communicate to each other about their problems.

who are you now more angry at? who are you now more sympathetic and understanding towards?

It's not just unhealthy, it's absolutely dangerous. People are okay with committing violence against Nazis (like Richard Spencer), but the definition of who a Nazi is has been watered down so much that you have some people calling half the country Nazis. This is crazy. And it's coming from the 'progressive', 'empathetic', left.

Ah yes, the Paradox of Tolerance. To be tolerant of intolerance. What a lovely argument to bring up to defend white supremacist and those that call for an ethnic cleansing.

Lime

This thread is for you: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1340071

And some choice quotes:
154154l7ob0.jpg

Goebbels:
C3rHh5xWMAAcFNq.jpg
You're not going to reach across the aisle with fascists and nazis.

Top Bottom