• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Small numbers of dead pixels are not a defect

eizarus

Banned
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/...-or-light-patches-on-the-screen--1201195.html
Did a search and couldn't find anything.

There are black or bright dots on the Nintendo Switch screen that do not go away, or there are dark or light patches on the screen.

Small numbers of stuck or dead pixels are a characteristic of LCD screens. These are normal and should not be considered a defect.

Switch my pixels if old.
Sensationalist thread title? Maybe

As a company who's made a shitload of money from great software, why can't they ever hire anyone to do their hardware right?

They're an imperfection not a defect in my eyes. I didn't return my Vita for a dead pixel in the top right corner

Can see why they annoy people

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
are a characteristic

raw

My New 3DS XL has one white stuck pixel right in the upper middle area. But this has always been their policy so can't do anything about it.

This was seriously my biggest concern about the Switch. Getting one with those again. :p

antonz

Its the same generic warning Nintendo and Sony have had for years regarding their handhelds. If you get one with dead pixels support pretty much always will take it back and do their thing.

Are we going to go down every little page of the Nintendo Support section now and find things to run to neogaf about?

3DShovel

My $2500 MacBook Pro also has a dead pixel. Apple won't fix it for free as they don't consider it a defect either.

Pretty sure Nintendo is not alone here. Sucks nonetheless though.

etta

my hard graphic balls
It may be a common thing in panels but it most certainly is a defect lols.
They trying to weasel their way out.

I don't want to be a Nintendo apologist or anything, but I think that statement would go down a lot easier if they specifically said 1-2 dead pixels is not a defect.

Jesus Christ.

Between the laughable save file system (or lack thereof), the dock scratching, the desync issues, the wifi problems and anemic software launch, this feels like one of the most botched system launches in recent memory. And now Nintendo's nonchalant attitude towards a screen defect? Fuck you Nintendo, Zelda deserves to be on better hardware than this.

Hasney

Is this a serious issue with the first batch of Switch consoles?

Not heard much about it. Mine doesn't have any at least.

Think this is a fucking annoyingly common stance. Think there's a literal % calculation phone manufacturers use. At least that's what Samsung support told me.

They never learn, do they? Even in 2017 they have this stupid ass attitude. Properly test your products and stop being so cheap on the build quality.

Alex

None of em take warranty returns for this.

I mostly remember it from the GBA SP because like half of those damn things had a dead or stuck pixel

rockx4

Most companies are like this. Their policies normally range from 3-5 dead pixels as "standard and not a defect". Asus refused rma on my gsync monitor with 4 dead pixels... I was able to get Fry's to exchange it even after 40 days.

Skyzard

Banned
It's not just Nintendo but a lot of companies say this.

Grinds my gears. No, it's not remotely acceptable, get your manufacturing in order.

Years ago there was an acceptable limit from TV manufacturers. But it seems like as the quality of the panels improved it became less and less of an issue. Also you generally sit pretty far from a TV so they can be hard to even notice. But with a handheld? It is always a few inches from your face. I would say even one dead pixel is unacceptable on those screens. Generally I can live with just 1, but more than that and I'd get an exchange. It is completely detrimental to any gameplay experience on a handheld.

The Cowboy

I've had 3 switches in 2 days due to dead/stuck pixels, on a device with a 6.2 inch screen running at 720p (meaning pixels are noticeable) and it costing close to £300 - they are easily a defect.

I won't be buying another switch until stock is better, so I can buy and return/exchange over and over until I get a decent one.

bomblord1

Banned
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201613

Therefore, a certain number of subpixel anomalies is considered acceptable. Rejecting all but perfect LCD panels would significantly increase the retail price for products using LCD displays. These factors apply to all manufacturers using LCD technology--not just Apple products.

If you suspect your display contains a high number of pixel anomalies, take your Apple product to an Apple Authorized Service Provider for closer examination. There may be a charge for the evaluation.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19303686.aspx
It takes six or more dead pixels, dark sub-pixels or bright sub-pixels to warrant a replacement from Dell. Some of its monitors--the UltraSharp, Professional, and Alienware OptX--are covered by the ”Premium Panel Bright Pixel Defect Guarantee." A single bright stuck sub-pixel warrants a screen replacement, but this guarantee doesn't cover any other pixel anomalies.

Asus
https://www.asus.com/ae-en/support/Warranty/13/24/0/19/SqSPAYIsfecjo9GX/
Since LCD panel is made up of millions of micro electronic pixels, if one pixel no longer functions normally, it will become a bright or dark dot. By ISO 13406-2 standards, ASUS conforms to the acceptance level between 3 to 5 defective bright/dark pixels. In order to deliver ultimate vision experience to ASUS customer, if your panel is less than or equal to the above number of dots, then, it is considered as an acceptable LCD monitor.In addition, the Premium Range of ASUS LCDs offers a unique Zero Bright Dot (ZBD) warranty.Please refer to ASUS LCD Monitor Bright/Dark Dot Warranty Table below.

12 months
Bright Dot - 0

Dark Dot ≦5

13~36 months
Bright Dot ≦3

Dark Dot ≦5

Acer
http://www.tested.com/tech/1337-we-uncover-the-dead-pixel-policies-for-every-major-lcd-maker/
Acceptable pixel anomalies
Resolution Bright or Dark
1024x768 4
1280x1024 7
1600x1200 10
2048x1536 16

Lenovo
http://www.tested.com/tech/1337-we-uncover-the-dead-pixel-policies-for-every-major-lcd-maker/
three or more dead or malfunctioning pixels warrant a new screen.

I'm assuming they will still accept returns on them or at least the store you bought it from should swap it for another.

None of em take warranty returns for this.

I mostly remember it from the GBA SP because like half of those damn things had a dead or stuck pixel

But yet Nintendo CS let me exchange my old DS Fat 3 times because I wasn't happy with the screen temperature or speakers until I got a unit I was happy with... and they paid the shipping!

What happened to you Nintendo?

Top Bottom