• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Small numbers of dead pixels are not a defect

Dead pixels = no defect is a rule since ages and most manufacturer write that. IIRC some countries have laws support a specific number of dead pixels per inch.

Ha, what? Most manufacturers and resellers have a limit on how many dead or stuck pixels a panel needs to have before they replace it, but i've never, ever heard someone dismiss it as not being a defect. Until now.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Most companies don't consider a small dead pixel or 2 a defect. If your screen has a large one or a number of them then will take notice.

The switch has its problems but some of you are just reaching now. ITS FUCKING PATHETIC.

I think Nintendo made a lot of mistakes with this launch but I can't get angry about dead pixels. It is completely normal to have one or two. My PSP has a bunch, my MacBook Pro has some, my phone has one... Manufacturing this stuff ain't easy.

gogojira

It's bullshit, but this is standard with LCD screens. Nothing unique to Nintendo and this isn't exactly a new thing for them with Switch. My GBA had a horrific one right in the middle of the fucking screen.

vazel

Banned
That used to be common policy for LCD manufacturers. You needed to have a minimum amount of dead/stuck pixels before they allowed you to RMA it.

Nintendo had the policy in place then too. The point is CS still does CS and will accommodate. This threads entire existence seems to be because someone decided to read the support section then run to Gaf to create anther Nintendo is fucked thread. Apple,Sony and everyone else state the same policies
Yeah, it might be a better idea to wait and see what Nintendo actually does on a case by case basis than freak out about the policy on the website.
This was actually a big deal on the DS. If you had more than like 5 dead pixels(which was shockingly common) they would do a replacement. I had to do it twice before I got a good one.
I didn't even have any dead pixels just I kept getting units with either two different temperature screens or crappy speakers. I felt really bad actually asking for an exchange that many times but the CS people I spoke to were totally cool about it and wouldn't stop encouraging me to exchange until I was 100% happy.

Ha, what? Most manufacturers and resellers have a limit on how many dead or stuck pixels a panel needs to have before they replace it, but i've never, ever heard someone dismiss it as not being a defect. Until now.

Exactly, people seem to be missing the point on purpose...

The topic should be changed to reflect what is actually being quoted. It's selective quoting that makes the topic very misleading and inflammatory.

"Small numbers of stuck or dead pixels are a characteristic of LCD screens. These are normal and should not be considered a defect."

Jesus Christ.

Between the laughable save file system (or lack thereof), the dock scratching, the desync issues, the wifi problems and anemic software launch, this feels like one of the most botched system launches in recent memory. And now Nintendo's nonchalant attitude towards a screen defect? Fuck you Nintendo, Zelda deserves to be on better hardware than this.

I'll let history be the judge of how good/bad the Switch launch is compared to others, but here's the lesson: never buy hardware at launch on day 1.

JP

Maybe they're only sleeping?

giphy.gif

Why are people acting like Nintendo makes the screens themselves?

And this ain't even a widespread issue. The screen is getting high praise. More hyperbole and itching.

eizarus

Banned
The topic should be changed to reflect what is actually being quoted. It's selective quoting that makes the topic very misleading and inflammatory.

"Small numbers of stuck or dead pixels are a characteristic of LCD screens. These are normal and should not be considered a defect."

Selective quoting? I literally quoted everything on their page. How tf did you miss that? The only thing you could apply that to is the title (which I admit I sensationalised... Did you not click the spoiler tag?)

Aside from the dumb as hell thread title... this is pretty standard? I'm pretty sure TV manufacturers say the exact same thing

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Jesus Christ.

Between the laughable save file system (or lack thereof), the dock scratching, the desync issues, the wifi problems and anemic software launch, this feels like one of the most botched system launches in recent memory. And now Nintendo's nonchalant attitude towards a screen defect? Fuck you Nintendo, Zelda deserves to be on better hardware than this.
And Sony's. And Apple's. And TV manufacturers'. Fuck them all, fuck them all to hell.

kadotsu

Banned
After the Dark GBA, DS Phat and 3DS it should be obvious that Nintendo always gets handhelds right on the first hardware refresh.

Matt

It says "small number." So, their position is exactly what you describe as the standard.

This is normal. Still sucks though.

Aside from the dumb as hell thread title... this is pretty standard? I'm pretty sure TV manufacturers say the exact same thing

It is.

The OP made a thread trying to create something out of nothing. Typical low level concerned trolling.

And of course, people who don't read and have problems looking past the title are lured by the bait.

Smh

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
And yet phone manufacturers can make 4k screens without a single dead or stuck pixel.
Or many acknowledge it as a defect if it had a dead or stuck pixel.

This is not a good look Nintendo. Especially when many phone manufactures get screens from other companies and still acknowledge it as a defect.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Dead pixels = no defect is a rule since ages and most manufacturer write that. IIRC some countries have laws about a specific number of dead pixels per inch to call the device as defective.
.... At this point people will make a big deal about everything Switch related.... Doesn't matter if it's always been the case or everybody else does the same.

If you have issues with your system, your retailer or online shop will likely take the system back.. But expecting the manufacturer themselves to take back a system because one dead pixel isn't realistic.

RoyalFool

Banned
Now to be fair, Sony said the same with the PSP. But unofficially they would pretty much always replace it if you kicked up a stink.

Have their been more reports of Switch dead pixels than usual? I only recall one person talking about them previously.

You're absolutely right in this case. OP is misleading by leaving out the "small number" bit from the link.

Personally I don't think this should be a thread unless we were to find out Nintendo will not fix a given amount of dead pixels the same as most other manufacturers would.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
It is.

The OP made a thread trying to create something out of nothing. Typical low level concerned trolling.

And of course, people who don't read and have problems looking past the title are lured by the bait.

Smh

Yeah this thread is silly tbh.

Firstly a lot of companies have this policy. When I bought my last laptop, I paid extra to buy with a no dead pixel guarantee.

Secondly, I have bought 5 nintendo devices with screens and havent had a single dead pixel, including on the switch. The Sony PSP I returned 6 times (I knew the store manager so he kept letting me open new ones) and they had so many dead pixels it was ridiculous - some had HUNDREDS.

Nintendo selling a switch with a dock that can scratch it is ridiculous and I dont blame people for calling out Nintendo on that BS. But dead pixel policy is a common practice amount companies.

Real question, can't people return/exchange the console with dead pixels?

Yes, they can. People acting as if Nintendo is holding people hostage and not allowing returns if they do have happen to have dead pixels. Outside of one person claiming he had 3 units with dead pixels, I haven't seen this as an issue.

It's more Switch launch bait. The screen is top notch.

T.O.P

Banned
It is.

Smh
Yup, awful op...not that the replies are any better lol

Nzyme32

Most displays have that kind of warning, where they won't do anything for a single dead pixel. If you have a arbitrarily "significant" amount of them, then they'll do something

My New 3DS XL has one white stuck pixel right in the upper middle area. But this has always been their policy so can't do anything about it.

This was seriously my biggest concern about the Switch. Getting one with those again. :p

Yah you actually can do something about it, refuse to buy their product until they change their policy.

Top notch? Just saw comparisons between two screens in another thread were one was poorly calibrated.

//DEVIL//

If i see a dead pixel on my screen i will not be able to sleep. I will be just looking at the damn thing and forgot what am i playin. This is a totally ruin experience level for me

Dead pixel policies are a thing. Manufacturers commonly deem some amount of pixel failures acceptable.

Most likely your retailer will still exchange it for you.

WolfStark

Most companies don't consider a small dead pixel or 2 a defect. If your screen has a large one or a number of them then will take notice.

The switch has its problems but some of you are just reaching now. ITS FUCKING PATHETIC.

No, sorry. No screen today should have a dead pixel, no one. If I get a screen, any screen and have a pixel error, it goes back to company but that never happened in the last years, because it barely happens anywhere nowadays. The only company that uses really bad screen in their products is Nintendo. The New 3DS has even two different displays of different quality and the consumer doesn't even know which kind of display he or she will get. And now the Switch is going to have dead pixels and they are not considering it a defect? For a 330 Euro product, that doesn't even have a 1080p screen? Just wow, that's brazen!

closeup-1fedcf66-5748-48df-b28d-39469fae0ea1.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1349599

Top Bottom