• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Small numbers of dead pixels are not a defect

Daouzin

Sounds like there's an expected failure rate that Nintendo doesn't want to front the bill on. That's pretty offensive.

A failure rate is part of the cost of business. When calculating product costs you need to include it in your unit cost which is then calculated in deciding your wholesale cost/MSRP.

Nintendo just doesn't want to deal with a reality of their business.

Completely unacceptable, despite my love for Nintendo.

shira

They're the very definition of a defect.

w8J9Tlq.jpg

It's a feature.

eizarus

Banned
I've had 3 switches in 2 days due to dead/stuck pixels, on a device with a 6.2 inch screen running at 720p (meaning pixels are noticeable) and it costing close to £300 - they are easily a defect.

I won't be buying another switch until stock is better, so I can buy and return/exchange over and over until I get a decent one.

Damn son. That sounds like a nightmare, especially with the fact that you can't transfer your saves between consoles (if I understood it correctly).

A certain number of stuck pixels are considered acceptable for all devices with screens. You can't get a replacement for a single pixel.

Is this thread really necrssary as the Nintendo shitposts continue?

KHlover

Banned
Considering I have to buy an extra manufacturer insurance if I don't want to play dead pixel roulette with my $700 monitors...

Lol at just flat-out saying this tho.

Zomba13

So far I've been lucky to only have had a single dead/stuck pixel on any of my electronics. It was a cheap, 720p TV I had at university. Everything else has been clear and I've owned a ton of screens and devices with screens. I don't get how Nintendo (or other companies) can claim it's normal and just part of the character of LCD screens and not a defect.

antonz

But yet Nintendo CS let me exchange my old DS Fat 3 times because I wasn't happy with the screen temperature or speakers until I got a unit I was happy with... and they paid the shipping!

What happened to you Nintendo?

Nintendo had the policy in place then too. The point is CS still does CS and will accommodate. This threads entire existence seems to be because someone decided to read the support section then run to Gaf to create anther Nintendo is fucked thread. Apple,Sony and everyone else state the same policies

I thought all manufacturers of screens allow x number of dead pixels, and by allow, I mean allow out of the factory. I don't see what the story is, are they not accepting the returns?

Trace

Banned
If my phone can have a 1440p screen with no dead pixels, for damn sure a Switch can have a 720p screen with no dead pixels.

SURGEdude

What is this fuckin 2002? Just when LCDs were blowing up and the tech was still getting up to snuff I could sorta understand it. But now? Aw hell no.

Its one thing if it happens after years later. But if return that moyherfucker for another right away if it came in new like that.

True Fire

It'll be interesting to see how Switch threads go once the Zelda high wears off. It'll be a long ride to Splatoon 2.

But yet Nintendo CS let me exchange my old DS Fat 3 times because I wasn't happy with the screen temperature or speakers until I got a unit I was happy with... and they paid the shipping!

What happened to you Nintendo?

This was actually a big deal on the DS. If you had more than like 5 dead pixels(which was shockingly common) they would do a replacement. I had to do it twice before I got a good one.

shira

A certain number of stuck pixels are considered acceptable for all devices with screens. You can't get a replacement for a single pixel.

You don't return your bradn new LCD's if they have dead pixels?

Damn you drunk the marketing kool-aid and tipped them 25%

That's the same message as what Sony and Nintendo have used since PSP / DS years.

Its the same generic warning Nintendo and Sony have had for years regarding their handhelds. If you get one with dead pixels support pretty much always will take it back and do their thing.

Are we going to go down every little page of the Nintendo Support section now and find things to run to neogaf about?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201613

I'm assuming they will still accept returns on them or at least the store you bought it from should swap it for another.

The people complaining about people buying hardware first being beta testers should also consider waiting until the end of the first page before freaking out. So many of these threads start with outrage due to an OP lacking information.

The Cowboy

If I found a dead pixel and I was within the 30-day return policy, it's going back. I don't give a fuck what the manufacturer says.
Yup, this is how I see it to.

On a cheap device (say a £50 phone), I can maybe accept a dead pixel or 2 - on a £300 device, hell no.

eizarus

Banned

It's about Nintendo's nonchalant attitude and general bullshitting. Dead pixels are a defect. It's an acceptable one within a certain range, but it is still a defect. Nintendo claims otherwise. For reference sake, go a page back and look at what Apple say regarding dead pixels.

ash_ag

I remember finding a dead pixel on my launch DS. It gave me a pause at first, but never really bothered me. To be honest, regular play of Pokémon Ranger left a bigger mark on the screen's clarity, and I mean that quite literally. :p

I remember finding a dead pixel on my launch DS. It gave me a pause at first, but never really bothered me. To be honest, regular play of Pokémon Ranger left a bigger mark on the screen's clarity, and I mean that quite literally. :p

My old monitor had one just to the left of the centre of the screen so I always saw it when playing shooters. Drove me mad!

Lemondish

My New 3DS XL has one white stuck pixel right in the upper middle area. But this has always been their policy so can't do anything about it.

This was seriously my biggest concern about the Switch. Getting one with those again. :p

Sure you can. There's a lot you can do.

It all starts with not buying their shitty products.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Your expectations are a decade out of date. While manufacters and retailers might agree as a legal practice that a stuck pixel or three is acceptable, most manufacturers of LCD devices haven't allowed any devices with stuck pixels out the door since the dawn of the smartphone era.

Doesn't EVERYONE say this?

I'm pretty sure that Panasonic said that for my TV, Asus for my monitors and my laptop, ect.

Edit: Not stanning for Nintendo, I really want to know.

Buggy Loop

Typically most companies will RMA it if there's X ammount of dead pixels. I've never heard or RMA for 1 dead pixel though. Though, i don't buy that many screens and i've been so very lucky so far with them.

ArchAngel

Dead pixels = no defect is a rule since ages and most manufacturer write that. IIRC some countries have laws about a specific number of dead pixels per inch to call the device as defective.

wildfire

Banned
And yet phone manufacturers can make 4k screens without a single dead or stuck pixel.

Noone makes panels without dead pixels.

Panels are given rating based on the probability of getting a dead pixel.

That influences the price.

Then device manufacturers have to consider how much effort they will take into filtering devices sold without dead pixels.

That labor also adds to the cost.

You shouldn't except a display with a dead pixel but let's not exaggerate about the capabilities of display manufacturers. It's not Nintendo who makes them, in their case it's some other company.

Thanks for the correction.

Typically most companies will RMA it if there's X ammount of dead pixels. I've never heard or RMA for 1 dead pixel though. Though, i don't buy that many screens and i've been so very lucky so far with them.

That's how it's always been. I had one on a dsi and couldn't get it replaced.

Top Bottom