• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass Review Thread

Open Critic - 70

Nintendo World Report 8/10

Snake Pass sets out to bring a familiar feeling with a unique twist that sets it apart from its predecessors. While it does exactly that, it isn't without fault, as overcoming the challenge of platforming without a jump might scare off the faint of heart. If you can overcome the early struggles and the occasional moments of frustration, the game offers a beautiful world to explore and plenty of collectables to keep you busy.

IGN Spain - 7/10

Press Start - 7/10

From a presentation perspective, Snake Pass is beautiful looking. I played the game on the Playstation 4 Pro and was met with two options – one to play at 30fps but in 4K and another to play in 60fps but in full HD. I chose the latter option, as the smoother framerate felt like it suited a game about a slithering snake better. Make no mistakes, Snake Pass is colourful, vibrant and dense with life and essence. Locales like jungles, lakes and clouds are all beautifully stylised and rendered to create a world that could easily be mistaken for a modern Donkey Kong or Banjo-Kazooie. Noodle himself is scaly and glistens in the sun when wet. There's a lot of polish and attention to detail in Snake Pass which is to be commended.

Forbes- 7/10

For me, a good portion of Snake Pass involved slowly falling off obstacles as I fumbled with the controls, trying in vain to regain footing. As such, I couldn't shake the notion that the game's specific input framework was really preventing me from having fun. On many occasions, I simply found myself wishing that Noodle controlled more traditionally, that Sumo Digital hadn't tried to reinvent the wheel. And yet, after playing the game through, I still can't figure out if my frustrations mostly arose from having had too little or too much domain over the snake's movements.

And that's really too bad, because at it's best, Snake Pass brings me back to my grade school playground, where I was hopping between monkey bars and the jungle gym with reckless abandon. When it's not busy being frustrating, the game creates a silly sense of play that I very much adore, a quality that makes the obtuse controls even more impossible to swallow. From a development standpoint, the unique approach was definitely a risk, one that I'm not sure paid off.

Gamezone - 6/10

Snake Pass is a game with promise, and an indie title I really wanted to enjoy, but in an already crowded gaming season, I don't see myself returning to it once I've finished my initial playthrough, despite additional collectibles and difficulty levels to tackle. Ultimately, I wish I had gone for the PS4 version of the game. An increased frame rate I imagine would slightly improve the gameplay issues, as well as negate that pesky HD Rumble.

-GJ-

What's wrong the the HD Rumble?

It's very loud and whiny. Even when in handheld mode you turn the volume all the way up, you can hear the high pitched HD Rumble very clearly over the game audio. I had to turn rumble completely off in the system settings in order to enjoy the game. It does this with the JoyCons attached and seperated. Have not tried it in the grip though, but I assume it'll have the same results.

FelipeMGM

I just finished my playthrough last night. Its not going to be viewed as a hallmark in the 3D platform genre or anything, but its a really fun game with a very cool twist on the core gameplay of this genre. Its a short experience to complete (5-6h) with not that much variety in design but if you get into the gameplay and the collecting, you'll get a very challenging road to 100%

Twookie

About the same review score I'd give this game too. It's fun and it's definitely worth the price Sumo is asking for, but yeah I don't think I'm going to replay it after I'm done.

gogojira

Loving it, about four levels in now. You feel pretty good about yourself when you twist and turn up wild
bamboo paths.

Controls are a bit weird to grasp, but my kids love it too, for any parents out there.

Those with a nostalgia for N64/PSX mascot era charm, I think you'd dig Snake Pass.

I don't agree with the scores so far, I've put in around 5 hours today and it's one of the most interesting and exciting puzzle platformers I've played in years. A solid 8 from me.

Listonosh

I don't agree with the scores so far, I've put in around 5 hours today and it's one of the most interesting and exciting puzzle platformers I've played in years. A solid 8 from me.

Same here. I mean, granted 7s arent a bad score by any means, but given today's game culture, a 7 is basically a 2 in many people's eyes.

Super fun game so far. Frustrating at times, sure, but after I get some of those hard to reach coins after like 10 attempts, it's super satisfying.

Underrated, game is something special.

Agreed. We're already seeing it in this thread, but it looks like those reviews are going to turn off some potential buyers who might have actually enjoyed the game. Shame.

The Forbes review brings up global leaderboards but does it have friend leaderboards? Not that I expect many people on my friends list to get it but it could add some value. I'm glad they went light on the narrative. Even if the controls might be a bit of a chore its not like the game appears to be a saga to play through. I think this game will probably be received similar to how Grow Home was.
Isn't the Forbes review from a contributor?
Forbes/sites strikes again
I just read the Forbes review. While it wans't very well written there wasn't anything especially wrong with it. These drive by shit posts on outlets without reading them are so petty.

Same here. I mean, granted 7s arent a bad score by any means, but given today's game culture, a 7 is basically a 2 in many people's eyes.

Super fun game so far. Frustrating at times, sure, but after I get some of those hard to reach coins after like 10 attempts, it's super satisfying.

I also found that the frustrating moments were still entirely under your control. I died multiple times trying to reach specific coins but with a bit of patience and planning anything is doable.

You're right that 7 is a good score but people in this thread are already passing on the game, it deserves better than that.

Pocket Gamer 8/10
The challenge here is in learning how to be a snake - and mastering its unique body to successfully navigate the environment. It works. You really do start to feel like a snake in your movements, in the weight of the body, and the difficulty in facing seemingly obvious challenges.
They also highlight technical issues of the Switch which won't be present on other platforms and problems with the checkpoint system that will.

Listonosh

I also found that the frustrating moments were still entirely under your control. I died multiple times trying to reach specific coins but with a bit of patience and planning anything is doable.

Exactly. I found that the tooltip about "feathering" the buttons is easily one of the most important pieces of advice. It allows for some crazy maneuvers that straight up slithering even with the grip you just can't pull off.

Scrawnton

Played the first world of the game lastnight and I loved it. I think it's a great playing game that feels like a mix between puzzle and platforming. Music is awesome as well and I love how the game looks.

nintendo Switch docked

Personally, I think this game is delightful. Inexpensive, does what it wants to do really well and just a joy to look at and hear too.

SomTervo

Personally, I think this game is delightful. Inexpensive, does what it wants to do really well and just a joy to look at and hear too.

The bolded is the clincher for me.

Even if the game has some technical issues and (subjectively) balancing issues, it's hard to go wrong at that pitch-perfect price point. Not too cheap, not too expensive.

phanphare

Banned
after playing through 4 levels I'm really impressed with the game. it's unique and the controls feel really good once you get the hang of them. like many others have said you feel like you're a snake. the only issue I've had so far is the camera in certain situations. that's about it.

definitely a solid 8/10 from what I've played and even then I feel like that number is misleading because this game offers something really unique

psyfi

Banned
From what I've played, 7 seems to be about right. It's a really cool game with a unique concept, but it definitely has its flaws. I'd recommend it overall.

7 or 8 doesn't really matter for this type of game. Watch a few videos, try it at a friend's place, read a few opinions... it's the sort of games that you want to buy because you at least want to try it.

I'm ok to pay 20€ because it seems different and interesting for both its controls and puzzles but length seems to be the game's weakness (and it'll be even more the case if I enjoy it a lot).

Hoping they'll add a few levels for free if there's a quite big success (or cheap DLC... yeah paying again but as always I'm ok to pay when it seems fair and it's good quality work).

Edit: What? Switch version is not performing very well? :/
Pocket Gamer please come explain (I've read a few lines and they are going hard on the performance issues for Switch...)
Ok f*ck it. I'll take it anyway. Don't know Pocket Gamer and even if not very good I don't see it being unplayable...

Top Bottom