• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass Review Thread

Just Pause - 7.8/10

Just Pause said:
On the whole, the game was a bit too short. The main game itself can be completed in about 5 hours, ignoring the drive to collect every item in every level which can easily double the length of time spent in the world of Snake Pass. However, at only $20, this game is well worth the price of admission. Sumo Digital would be wise to consider adding some DLC later to add new worlds, as this could be a low-key success story, especially with the still sparse lineup on the Switch.

Skyzard

Banned
I felt that it was going to be tiny bit too short with
levels and after completing the first stage with a few coins I got a 7% complete save.

For the price I paid on steam (£16) and how they've set up coins in difficult areas for the most challenge, I'm not that concerned. It's a lot of original platforming fun and looks great - how I'm playing it.

EDIT:

So that 7% completion for the first level didn't actually count coins. I just finally read the instructions properly and managed to swap the buttons on my vita without it hard crashing. Now I can have forward movement on the physical right trigger and grip on left. Kinda reminded me of loco roco on psp, but with awesome visuals. Sat in bed to try and play it properly and found the last two coins for the first level. 2 hours in :p

I went for the bridge first since everyone started talking about it and took quite I while but I think I fluked it.
Then had a good look around till I backtracked to the start, which after dying a few times noticed that it's cool how in the beginning there is actually straight away 3 paths to take, each to a coin or to the rest of the level with an arrow pointing to that and a tree separating the two hidden paths right in your starting camera frame.

Anyway. That took a damn long time for me to do lol.

Think I've got the hang of it, You've got a certain weight to your head, and past a certain point of dropping you won't be able to get back up without a good speed and enough tail gripping something.

Thing is if you stop concentrating, for just a second while moving, say by premature celebration when you're nearly back, then bound to slip up.

Was so happy on the way back, the snake's colours look awesome when you're stoned. I was just dancing to the music, happily slithering in the grass on my way back to the space station.

10/10

Kebiinu

Banned
Game feels like an 8/10 to me, just based on its intuitive controls, and platform aesthetics; but without the platform tropes. Even so, I haven't completed the game yet, so my opinion may change later. It's worth the $20 at the very least, and I'm playing on the Switch.

Unkle

PlayStation Universe's review:

Aside from some niggling pitfalls – many of which will be mitigated or exacerbated by your level of patience – Snake Pass is a success; a delightful throwback to the classic puzzle platformer of yonder that levels a keen eye on trying to expand modern control sensibility. It's a commendable effort that will undoubtedly frustrate some, but it's the charm and serpentine serenity of Noodle, and of course his partner Doodle, that will undoubtedly win out the day for most. 8/10

Shredderi

Yeah I've loved the look of the adorable Snake from the day it was announced. I will be getting this right after I've completed Hollow Knight. Not bothered about the small size of the game since I've played huge games in a row as of late so I could use something smaller in scope next before I contemplate getting Persona 5 which is promising to be another epic time sinker.

It will be a cult classic for sure. Perhaps learning the mechanics just isn't for everyone, even if I think the learning curve isn't really too high.

It reminds me a lot of Terover, does anyone remember that game? It was pretty fun if you became familiar with its deliberately awkward movement system.

CGR Undertow has a really good review of Terrover which I feel echos some of the sentiments that people are likely to feel with Snake Pass.

CGRUndertow said:
The experience as a whole is entirely dependent on your reaction to the games controls, and that's where Terrover will charm you, or frustrate you beyond belief...

... I may have struggled with its controls, but others may not. I have a feeling that for everyone that may agree with my assessment (he previously described the game as frustrating for him), just as many will find the games obvious depth and complexity, rewarding not frustrating.

I think Snake Pass is quite a bit better than Terrover however, because while both do feature controls which take some time to master, Snake Pass does a better job of easing you into the experience. Terrovers demo is pretty brutal, and the game takes joy in frustrating the player (though I do enjoy it for that).

I think in general, the answer to this issue with regards to Snake Pass wouldn't be more comprehensive tutorialing or easier gameplay, but giving the player more opportunity to experiment and develop their own abilities naturally. A lot of platformers manage to achieve this with a hub world, where the player can experiment at their leasure, and this also serves to reward the player when they've mastered certain elements of the movement system, allowing them to access new areas or secrets.

Snake Pass does a better job than Terrover in conveying its complex movement system though, as I said. There's a gradual introduciton of platforming challenge that affords an opportunity to learn the games mechanics, before facing anything especially tricky, but at the same time, it's not perfect. Not every player learns at the same rate and you can't expect most players to repeat the first two worlds until they feel they've mastered what's required of them for the next challenge. Many are likely to hit a wall around world 2, where the game begins to remove your training wheels, and begin punishing the player with considerable set backs to their progress if they fail. When combined, the punishing checkpoints and the potential to hit a progressional wall due to the players understanding of the core mechanics, creates a sizable chance that players will just give up.

If a player hits a wall but the game isn't severely punishing them for failing, then they might keep trying. But if they're being told they need to repeat the preceding challenges too, then it can easily get tiring quite quickly, especially in a slow paced game like Snake Pass. The problem is, that falling on these segments will not feel as if it's their fault, it's a mechanical depth to the game that they at that stage, do not understand, so that results in frustration as it seems the game is punishing the player for something which at that stage they likely haven't internalised as being their responsibility. If the checkpoints were more lenient, then players that would otherwise find themselves frustrated and disengaged, may find themselves repeating the segments that are troubling them until that aspect of the games controls click.

These are the type of issues you would be able to resolve with the feedback from playtesting. With that said, it's still a great game, it's just that you're miliage is liable to vary depending on how quickly the movement system clicks. For me, I really loved it, had a great time with the game, but I felt as though I grasped the mechanics quite quickly and that's obviously not going to be the same for everyone.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Snake Pass would be a better experience with more checkpoints. Still, I love this game. It's unique, bravo.

Fireblend

Banned
So I haven't been following the game closely. What's the consensus on the Switch version? Worth getting? Or does it have any technical issue I should be aware of?

Published my review; I gave it three stars out of five.

The music/physics were GREAT and I loved flexing Noodle about but there's some definite issues regarding the checkpoint system and intrusive/unskippable tutorials and whatnot.

However, I'd love to see a second go at the concept. Noodle's just too lovable not to deserve a sequel.

Top Bottom