• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass Review Thread

Wozman23

Man, I'm ten levels in and these reviews are lower than I'd put it. People discrediting it for 7s hurt my soul.

For uniqueness, creativity, and game play, it's a 10. The only place it comes up less than perfect is with the sometimes annoying camera and a little bit of stuttering with the frame rate.

Man, I'm ten levels in and these reviews are lower than I'd put it. People discrediting it for 7s hurt my soul.

For uniqueness, creativity, and game play, it's a 10. The only place it comes up less than perfect is with the sometimes annoying camera and a little bit of stuttering with the frame rate.

It will be a cult classic for sure. Perhaps learning the mechanics just isn't for everyone, even if I think the learning curve isn't really too high.

yup. It's amazing.

Listonosh

Feathering?

Oh sorry, yeah, basically keep pressing and letting go of those buttons in quick motions, that way Doodle has both a good grip and is more mobile. If you grip, you can't really slither, but if you slither and don't grip, you slide off. Basically feathering the buttons will allow you to do both, but it requires some practice.

Installing on the Switch. Gonna start it once I finish Specter of Torment later this week :)

UGH just reminded me that I have to play that too... It's too early to have a Switch backlog!

I haven't had any performance issues on the Switch version yet. I think it still looks good and is a good sign for Switch ports. 30fps and a little lower res is a small price to pay for playing on the go.

Soroc

I honestly don't even understand reviews anymore. Games are constantly patched and updated sometimes even months later to fix things or continue optimizing. Do reviewers go back to these reviews and update them? Reviews almost feel like an archaic thing in the everchanging patch world we live in today.

I'm not knocking the score here its just something I thought about after reading through this thread and at least for the switch things like HD rumble and sub 480p for handheld being negs that affected the score but the Devs have already said they are looking into fixing these things so how do reviews reflect these changes when they happen?

I honestly don't even understand reviews anymore. Games are constantly patched and updated sometimes even months later to fix things or continue optimizing. Do reviewers go back to these reviews and update them? Reviews almost feel like an archaic thing in the everchanging patch world we live in today.

I'm not knocking the score here its just something I thought about after reading through this thread and at least for the switch things like HD rumble and sub 480p for handheld being negs that affected the score but the Devs have already said they are looking into fixing these things so how do reviews reflect these changes when they happen?

Most people are going to play the game in the same state that reviewers did so any commentary around technical issues is fair in my mind, especially if said issues affect overall enjoyment. Having said that, a review is basically just a detailed opinion so it's down to the reader to determine the validity of said opinion or whether it seems to be close to their own tastes. Also, releasing a game with tech issues is on the devs / publishers, not the reviewers.

From what I played I would say it's a solid 8. Unique and just controlling Noodle is quite fun. It also presents some nice challenge with some of the Gold Coins.

Hope people give it a try. It's not going to be for everyone but there will be some that love it.

Soroc

Most people are going to play the game in the same state that reviewers did so any commentary around technical issues is fair in my mind, especially if said issues affect overall enjoyment. Having said that, a review is basically just a detailed opinion so it's down to the reader to determine the validity of said opinion or whether it seems to be close to their own tastes. Also, releasing a game with tech issues is on the devs / publishers, not the reviewers.

I'm with you on that. It was more my curiosity since I don't use reviews to make my purchase decisions. But I just find it interesting someone using reviews to make a purchase decision say 6 months after a game has come out and the review is from launch and many issues addressed in the review may have been fixed which would I guess make the review outdated? I haven't revisited this thought process in a long time but I guess the best bet is to just understand that a review is a "moment in time" and may not be reflective of the product after that "moment in time".

I remember first exploring this issue with MMOs since they are constantly changed and updated but just hadn't really thought about it again for a couple years until now. Again mainly b/c I don't use reviews like I used to, I barely read any of them anymore.

Anywho, I'm going to buy Snake Pass tonight for the Switch. I was going to wait since I'm still so entrenched in Zelda but I like to support devs that bring new IP to a console during its launch window and this is a solid effort with a very short port window and I have confidence the devs will continue to improve upon this version.

Kensuke

I feel this game is going to be severely underrated. I'm reviewing it for my site and so far I love it. The traversal is thrilling, while playing and getting some of the harder collectibles I'm literally at the edge of my seat. The concept and mechanics also feel like something really original and charming. The learning curve is steep though, some of the reviewers seemed to struggle a lot.

One thing I found off-putting is that IGN Spain called the art 'something like a remaster of a N64 game'. The game looks relatively simple, but I really dislike hyperbolic statements like that.

Hellsing

Probably gonna buy it on the Switch over the PS4 just to take it everywhere. Seems like a great game to pass the time when I go out.

If I had a PS4 Pro then I'd probably lean towards that version due to the higher framerate, but otherwise having it portable is really tempting.

Dangit Nintendo. Now 3rd party games aren't as simple as figuring out where it looks the best.

Reviews that complain about the difficulty of navigating around as Noodle are laughable. The whole point of the game is that it's a platformer that plays like nothing else. Of course it's tough to control Noodle at first. It's all about overcoming your platforming instincts and learning to think about platforming and controls in a new way.

Reviewers keep mistaking deliberate frustration and confusing as a flaw.

Skyzard

Banned
Moonlight got ported to Vita? Damn, first time I regret updating my Vita.

Yeah it's really damn good with the right setup. No lag or latency and a good clean image.

It might be worth a thread but I'm not sure how long ago it came out, has been a while I think but I just set it up yesterday. Excellent little program, saves me from having to buy a shield, which I was almost about to, and they stopped updating the hardware line.

You can map controls and change the reartouch pad however you want. I've got it set so the majority of each side is the L2/R2 and have added a deadzone where my fingers might rest (near the edges). Works really well and gives exactly what I was recently craving - pc games on a handheld!

Change framerate between 60 and 30, and change bitrate. Access Steam in fullscreen mode so it's a great way to choose your games and shut off your pc when you're done too.

Chairhome

The Forbes review brings up global leaderboards but does it have friend leaderboards? Not that I expect many people on my friends list to get it but it could add some value. I'm glad they went light on the narrative. Even if the controls might be a bit of a chore its not like the game appears to be a saga to play through. I think this game will probably be received similar to how Grow Home was.

I just read the Forbes review. While it wans't very well written there wasn't anything especially wrong with it. These drive by shit posts on outlets without reading them are so petty.
Petty? A review thread is usually for "vetted" journalist outlets. It doesn't matter how well written it is, saying it's from Forbes is wrong. The page even says "The author is a Forbes contributor. The opinions expressed are those of the writer"
Is that review going to count in metacritic? If it is, you have a point.

It's been argued to death already, so I'll stop.

I'm playing it on Switch docked. Looks great, controls great, no issues. The rumble is a bit much though. Uses regular rumble, not HD, and I'd say it's turned up a bit too high.

Gotta judge it in the state it's released in.

Seems like a solid game. I'll have to Pass on this until I finish up my other games... Hopefully during a steam sale this summer or something. Maybe the performance issues will be ironed out by then, too.

Spaghetti

Little bit surprised by the content of some of the reviews, but if they're using the 1-10 score correctly then 7s are fair...ish. It doesn't seem like the game clicked with the reviewers as much as it did with others who've shared impressions in the past, though. Personally, I'm liking it quite a bit too.

Maybe I haven't spent enough time with it for the "gimmick" to lose its lustre, but I played through the whole first world and found myself convinced that this was a smart, unique take on platforming I'd not seen before.

Kensuke

I think reviewers calling the game short are kind of missing the point and skipping collectibles. In most games skipping collectibles is fine, but in Snake Pass they are mostly placed behind traversal challenges, which is basically the core content of the game. If you are just getting key stones and not going for collectibles you're basically skipping game content and not finishing the game. Doing all the traversal challenges should take about 10 hours, which isn't 'on the short side' imo.

I'm going to download this tonight I think. The art-style evokes memories of the N64 and Sumo have a good track record and deserve to be supported.

I'm playing it on Switch docked. Looks great, controls great, no issues. The rumble is a bit much though. Uses regular rumble, not HD, and I'd say it's turned up a bit too high.

The rumble issue is a bug and will be patched.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/03/dont_worry_the_rumble_in_snake_pass_will_be_fixed_soon
While it's not a deal breaker, Sumo Digital is aware of the issue and their PR representative has issued us with the following statement about a upcoming patch to smooth things out a bit:

Sumo is aware of this issue and the patch to fix this has been sent to Nintendo for approval and should go live in the coming days.

I'm sold. Yeah it's a new system and that makes it easier to buy a 7/10 title but it's also easier to buy an original idea with a few issues that gets 7/10 than an average game that gets the same score but does nothing interesting.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I'm sold. Yeah it's a new system and that makes it easier to buy a 7/10 title but it's also easier to buy an original idea with a few issues that gets 7/10 than an average game that gets the same score but does nothing interesting.
I agree with that. The concept is focused and limited compared to the trilions of things I do in Zelda, but Snake Pass does something unique. It's a good pick just for ts originality.

GeoGonzo

6 stages in, this game is great. I actually spent probably the first hour falling to my death again and again while trying to reach the very FIRST coin in the game. I screamed in frustration at one point as I managed to grab it and then almost, ALMOST made it back.

And then, suddenly it... clicked. Now I can move just fine and very rarely fall! And watching Noddle move is delightful. Can't wait to show it to my friends this weekend!

Top Bottom