• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At this point, should Atlus release Persona 4 Golden on PS4?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
First, this is not a port begging thread, more a question on if this would be a good business decision.
Given the response to Persona 5, the spotlight has never been better for the series or the company, but the next one probably isn't coming out for a while. Persona 4 Golden is considered the best version of the game that really brought some mainstream appeal to the series.
In the west the Vita is largely dead and we've had a few Vita to PS4 ports up to now. I guess the argument against would be possible lack of demand, assuming that most people who wanted to play it bought a Vita to do so, but I doubt that. I don't know the expense involved in porting the game, or any additional licensing costs for VA performances or whatnot. At the very least, it seems like a decent stopgap release. Or maybe they don't really want to devote any resources to that, and want to move ahead.

Zedark

You don't seem to consider the several spinoffs that P4 got. It's not unlikely P5 will get them as well, and in that sense there's no immediate need to port P4 in order to keep income coming. It would probably do well, though, so a port is not a bad idea by any means.

Edit: In fact, with the registered domains for different P5 related stuff, it seems highly likely spinoffs are coming for P5.

Sulik2

I'm currently destroying my hands to finally play it on Vita. They should have ported their most popular game ever to a modern platform years ago. I'd kill for it on PS4.

Pepboy

You don't seem to consider the several spinoffs that P4 got. It's not unlikely P5 will get them as well, and in that sense there's no immediate need to port P4 in order to keep income coming. It would probably do well, though, so a port is not a bad idea by any means.

Agreed. Actually the translation woes makes me wonder if I should wait for Persona 5 Golden in the hopes they fix the errors... But I hope to hear something soon about them patching the dialogue.

As much as I love P5 on PS4, I still think Persona works best as a portable series.

That being said, I'm always down for an HD update to my 2nd favorite game of all-time.

Zalman

They SHOULD do it, considering P5 is the first game for many who would want to play the old ones. And for me personally, it'd be easier for me to recommend P4G to people if it wasn't stuck on the Vita. Other developers are doing it too, e.g. Danganronpa.

SalvaPot

Sure, why not. They should release a collection of the Persona games, at least 3 and 4.

Also I'll like to see them on Switch, but that may be just me.

occelinho

Definitely would love to see it on PS4!
Played the original on PS2, but Golden got so many improvements that I'm eager to play that version. Thing is, I don't really care about the Vita and P4 Golden would be the only reason to get one for me.

I'm not on this train. I've had my Vita for a few years and have about 50+ games on it, probably more.

I think the Vita shouldn't get anything ported at all, it's an amazing system and people should see it for what it is.

Plus, in terms of resolution and framerate, there's not much you can do to P4, it looks brilliant on Vita.

Eumi

Yep. Especially since there's no way the p4 characters aren't coming back for the spinoffs. Throw in the original jp dub too, since so many people responded well to p5's option to switch.

Bluenoser

I think they will do it. Back when I wanted to play it, I was forced to play Persona 4 on my PS3 with digital download (don't have a vita or PSTV). They could keep making their $9-$10 on this option, or they can put in a little work improving it and re-releasing it for maximum profit.

I would pay $30 for P4 with upres/trophies for sure. I would pay $50 for an HD version, but I doubt that will happen.

singhr1

They should just port the whole collection. With so many people jumping into the series with Persona 5, they would make a killer with people wanting to play the previous entries.

JMY86

Yes please! I am nearing the end of Persona 5 (my GOTY) which is my first Persona game and I am very eager for more, but I do not want to have to buy a used Vita just to do it.

They should just port the whole collection. With so many people jumping into the series with Persona 5, they would make a killer with people wanting to play the previous entries.

This is actually even better! Get on that shit Atlus...

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Just do the PS2 Classics of Persona 3 FES and Persona 4. Thats all it needs.

I say this because I found Marie to totally ruin the balance of 4's story and setting. Total shit tier anime trope nonsense.

koutoru

The dream: Persona complete collection containing the latest localized version of Persona 1-4 on PS4.
Remastered in 1080p/4k 60fps all original audio included.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yes, please.

OG Persona 4 is great and runs like a dream via PCSX2 even on my modest laptop and I will be an OG Chie defender till I die, but I also wouldn't mind having a nice (U)HD port of Golden on PS4 for all the extra content.

RalchAC

I fucking love Persona 4 Golden. One of my favorite games of all time.

But it feels archaic when compared to Persona 5. If they wanted me to buy it again, the least they can do is tweak the UI so it feels as fast and intuitive as Persona 5's.

If they are going to do a straight port and ask 30€ for it, better submit Persona 4 to the PS4 PS2 emulator and sell it for 15 bucks on PSN imo. Unless they make a collection with more than just Persona 4, ofc

Persona 5 has upped the bar when it comes to turn based RPGs UIs. I don't want to go back to scrolling up and down and pressing X to choose if I want to attack, use a skill or an item etc.

mrk8885

Banned
If they were smart they'd already have this nearly ready to go. Capitalize on the popularity of Persona 5

Port P4G to PS4 and Switch (if possible)
Release a PS2 Classic Version of P3 on PS4

Galang

Banned
They should focus on making a definite P3 version with all content from portable and FES instead. It would easily be the best rpg of all time if so :)

loki 16

I love golden on my vita, but it would be so much better on a big screen.

I say this because I found Marie to totally ruin the balance of 4's story and setting. Total shit tier anime trope nonsense.

Marie is the best thing to happen to Persona 4.

Agreed. Actually the translation woes makes me wonder if I should wait for Persona 5 Golden in the hopes they fix the errors... But I hope to hear something soon about them patching the dialogue.

Don't worry about the translation. Even at its worst its nothing you haven't seen before if you have played games from Japan. You know, being overly wordy and speaking very literally. And the majority of the time the localization is great, if sometimes feeling a bit cheesy (they use the term "Salty" a bit more than you'd think necessary. Also "totes" but hey teenagers).

marmoka

Banned
They should have released it about 18 months ago, when it was clear that P5 was having a huge delay. It would have been great for the wait, and also many of us who never owned a Vita would have enjoyed it as well.

Whatever, it's not late for that release.

And Atlus is the Japanese king of ports and remakes. It would be surprising if it stays in Vita forever.

Frankly I think they should focus on releasing the PS2 SMT games (P4 included) on PS4 before going through the work to port P4: Golden to PS4. Also, a P4: Arena port for PS4 would be nice.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
i'd rather just have P3 FES and P4 OG on PS2 on PS4 initiative and have best!Chie along with res boosts

They could put Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga and Raidou on there as well.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
You guys are the worst. Original Chie was so boring.

I don't get it, OG chie actually put nuance into how she spoke her lines instead of "YELLING EVERYTHING LIKE A BAD ANIME VOICE ACTOR!!" like i just illustrated there in all caps.

The "lol old chie sounds old!" criticism also never really flew for me because none of those VA sound like teens to begin with, they all sound like adults

You can play through the entire game without doing her social link and events. I know because I accidentally forgot about her during one of my playthroughs. I think the poems still appear but I don't remember so I can't confirm.

black070

I'd buy it full price, no questions asked.

I don't get it, OG chie actually put nuance into how she spoke her lines instead of "YELLING EVERYTHING LIKE A BAD ANIME VOICE ACTOR!!" like i just illustrated there in all caps.

The "lol old chie sounds old!" criticism also never really flew for me because none of those VA sound like teens to begin with, they all sound like adults

I liked new Chie better ¯_(ツ)_/¯

DarkCloud

I'd kill for a collection that contained the PSP version of Persona, Persona 2 (IS/EP), Persona 3 (FE/PSP features combined), and 4 Golden with optional audio selection. Make the side games (dancing, arena/ultimax, or even Catherine) unlockable bonus titles or DLC.

Release all that on a disc for $60-80 for any system that can run it.

Top Bottom