• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At this point, should Atlus release Persona 4 Golden on PS4?

Jazzem

It's kind of odd Persona 4 was as popular as it was really, given that it's only been released on PS2 as an absurdly late release and then on the unsuccessful Vita. It really deserves more avenues to reach a bigger audience, alas it seems both Atlus and Sega don't have much in the way of resources for doing many ports :/

It is glorious on the Vita at least, justified my purchase of the system alone

ZeroX03

Banned
As consumers, why wouldn't we say anything other than yes? Of course it'd be nice for it to be on as many platforms as possible.

As for Atlus, it's whether or not they considering it a worthwhile return on investment. I'm sure it'd sell well enough, it's whether they want to put the resources in.

They're leaving money on the table. But this is Atlus.

Here's the thing: every company is "leaving money on the table". They don't have infinite money or staff. If they can port a game, but it wouldn't earn them a lot of money and it'd take up staff who could earn more working on a new title, then they'll prioritize accordingly.

Would love a p3 and p4 collection myself. Would be perfect next year perhaps once p5 has had its chance to shine. Ppl playing persona for the first time with 5 will be looking for something to try next.

orochi91

I don't get it, OG chie actually put nuance into how she spoke her lines instead of "YELLING EVERYTHING LIKE A BAD ANIME VOICE ACTOR!!" like i just illustrated there in all caps.

The "lol old chie sounds old!" criticism also never really flew for me because none of those VA sound like teens to begin with, they all sound like adults
Well said.

None of those school kids sounded like their intended ages anyways, other than Nanako and possibly Rise.

HardRojo

I'm surprised it hasn't been ported yet. Seems like a missed opportunity, I thought they'd have done it a few months before P5 dropped.

Jazzem

As consumers, why wouldn't we say anything other than yes? Of course it'd be nice for it to be on as many platforms as possible.

As for Atlus, it's whether or not they considering it a worthwhile return on investment. I'm sure it'd sell well enough, it's whether they want to put the resources in.

Here's the thing: every company is "leaving money on the table". They don't have infinite money or staff. If they can port a game, but it wouldn't earn them a lot of money and it'd take up staff who could earn more working on a new title, then they'll prioritize accordingly.

Yeah I think that's the issue, they strike me as being similar to Treasure or Falcom in that they're successful due to being a pretty lean operation. Treasure for instance were basically not making anything else when they ported games to XBLA/Steam and such, while it's only through XSeed and other publishers that we've seen as much Falcom stuff ported around as we have.

Original Chie was so boring.

I'm with you. To me the OG Chie voice sounds extra stilted and like someone who is reading lines. IMO Golden Chie sounds more natural, higher energy, and just more like I would expect the character to sound. Having said that, this argument all feels like splitting hairs to me anyway as the VA for all the games in this series has that indescribable anime quality where no one talks quite like an English speaking human being actually would.

Given the response to Persona 5, the spotlight has never been better for the series or the company, but the next one probably isn't coming out for a while. Persona 4 Golden is considered the best version of the game that really brought some mainstream appeal to the series.

Atlus got you covered:

http://gematsu.com/2017/04/atlus-registers-persona-domains-p3d-p5ag-p5d-p5r-p5u-persona-dance-pq2

Ryusoffice Corporation, the company that registered the RPG.jp domain name for Atlus, registered several Persona-related domain names on April 18.

The list of newly registered domains include:

P3D.jp (Persona 3 Dancing?)
P5AG.jp (Persona 5 A…fter Golden?)
P5D.jp (Persona 5 Dancing?)
P5R.jp (Persona 5 R…acing?)
P5U.jp (Persona 5 Ultimax / Persona 5 Arena?)
Persona-Dance.jp (Persona Dancing portal site?)
PQ2.jp (Persona Q: Shadows of the Labyrinth 2?)

Plenty of Persona to go around the next few years.

BigEmil

Yes, please.

OG Persona 4 is great and runs like a dream via PCSX2 even on my modest laptop and I will be an OG Chie defender till I die, but I also wouldn't mind having a nice (U)HD port of Golden on PS4 for all the extra content.
Runs good on PCSX2 but it's got a bunch of visual glitches and inconsistencies in both visuals and audio with bad accuracy to the original so it's not good, PS4 emulator is far better in terms of accuracy i guess they have the upper hand since Sony developed the PS2 themselves they know best

True Fire

ATLUS should do what they did with their DS games, and rerelease their entire PS2 library on PS4 (and maybe Switch idk)

Nottle

Sure, why not.

But I'd much rather have a definitive edition of P3.
Yeah p3 deserves it. FES has some archaic stuff like not being able to choose what abilities pass on on not being able to directly control party members and p3p has the cool FeMC mode, the male party member S. Links, but has less impressive city exploration because of the psp limitations.

If someone they could put the p3p additions i to FES that would be awesome.

vaibhavp

smt type of games i like on handhelds. enjoy scratching my head over boss strategies by picking up anywhere and giving it a go. bringing golden to ps4 would be a step back.

bringing 5 on the other hand to....

sense

As crazy as it is, I was actually contemplating going back to playing p4golden on vita again after finishing up p5 but if it comes to PS4 with any additional stuff then I will just play it there. If it is same game then I might as well play it on vita lol because I have been using remote play a lot for persona 5. The grinding is best on vita!!!!

I'm 80 hours into my Persona 4 G play through on Vita. Instead of waiting for a port (which won't come), pick up a Vita! It plays perfectly on a portable device.

mindatlarge

Being in the midst of playing P4G for the first time, currently at the end of September, the more people that get to play this game the better. Being that I never got to play P3, I'd love to see Atlus remaster that as well. From what I understand, it's worthy of that treatment.

Would buy it day one and this is coming from a guy who platinumed the game. It's a strong game and has a distinct personality from persona 5 that newcomers shouldn't feel tired from playing both games feeling too similar. Would expect persona 3 and smt nocturne to show up if they do bring golden.

squall23

I bought a PSTV just for this. If this gets a PS4 version, it needs at the very least an increased resolution which also means updated textures because otherwise they'd just look like crap.

FHIZ

I'd take a 3 port before 4, simply because it's the one of this era of Persona games I've yet to play. But I'd play 4 again on a big screen.

I'd kill for a collection that contained the PSP version of Persona, Persona 2 (IS/EP), Persona 3 (FE/PSP features combined), and 4 Golden with optional audio selection. Make the side games (dancing, arena/ultimax, or even Catherine) unlockable bonus titles or DLC.

Release all that on a disc for $60-80 for any system that can run it.

This guy knows the deal.

In either case, they need to free Golden from the Vita.

Chorazin

Why put all that money into making it look decent on the PS4 when they could probably port it to the Switch as is and it'll sell like hotcakes?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Why put all that money into making it look decent on the PS4 when they could probably port it to the Switch as is and it'll sell like hotcakes?

They would not have to "make it look decent" on the Switch? Beyond that, portbegging isnt really allowed you know...

You dont need to make anything look decent, its just a matter of a res boost

Christhor

I'd kill for a collection that contained the PSP version of Persona, Persona 2 (IS/EP), Persona 3 (FE/PSP features combined), and 4 Golden with optional audio selection. Make the side games (dancing, arena/ultimax, or even Catherine) unlockable bonus titles or DLC.

Release all that on a disc for $60-80 for any system that can run it.

You're actually insane if you think something like this could happen in any universe.

Top Bottom