• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RiME Review Thread

Strakt

Rime-Trailer_01-03-17-600x338.jpg

http://opencritic.com/game/4151/rime?tab=1

Eurogamer: Recommended

Grand as the scale of the moment was, this was also Rime in microcosm. Rime does the things you expect of this kind of puzzly exploration game, the kind of things you want if you enjoy Zelda dungeons or the intricate, lonely dereliction of an Ico or The Witness. But it does all these things with surprisingly inventive twists. It has a lot of ideas, and they are all wonderfully small, manageable, comprehensible ideas, married to a sense of epic scale that serves as its own reward. A game about other games, but one that is still worth playing in and of itself? Yes, please.

This game has it all, really. It has a sense of wonder, of poise and, over time, a true sense of emerging character. And it has something to say. Something that is worth hearing.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-05-25-rime-review

The Digital Fix
10.0 / 10.0

PlayStation Universe
9.5 / 10.0

CGMagazine
9.5 / 10.0

From sombre moments of exploring ruins infested with creepy ghosts to tense encounters with giant winged beasts, Tequila Works' latest manages to balance its penchant for whimsy and spectacle with a tangible humanity that most games lack. There's a potent infusion of quiet introspection into this fantastical adventure, and coupled with gameplay that doesn't treat the player like an infant, that goes a long way into putting it head and shoulders above anything the genre's produced in quite some time. The gorgeous, evocative score helps with that, as do the lush and unique visuals.

While, yes, comparisons to other games can be made, there is ultimately nothing else out there quite like RiME. I suspect there won't be for quite a while. And I suspect that when it's time to look back on 2017's best, Tequila Works' magical, humanistic opus will be at the top of many lists.

http://www.cgmagonline.com/reviews/rime-review-fantastical-adventure/

Hobby Consolas
91 / 100

IBTimes UK
90 / 100

Xbox Achievements
90%

GameGrin
9.0 / 10.0

Attack of the Fanboy
90 / 100

DualShockers
9.0 / 10.0

IGN Spain
9 / 10

GamesRadar+
90 / 100

Press Start
9 / 10

Areajugones
9.0 / 10.0

Wccftech
9.0 / 10.0

Edge
9 / 10

COGconnected
89 / 100

Guardian
80 / 100

Rime exists in a well-trodden video-game niche, remarkable for neither its concept nor its execution. But it transcends its limitations by tapping into something universal: a child's feelings of wonder at a strange and sometimes dangerous world.

The final credits include a series of heartfelt messages from the developers, one of which stood out: ”To grandparents and their forgotten stories". Like the game itself, it's a simple statement that's both endearing and heartbreaking. It hints at the thousand real-life moments of grief and joy that served as inspiration for this game. That emotional weight shines through, making Rime a thoroughly rewarding experience.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/25/rime-review-indie-puzzle-adventure

TheSixthAxis
8 / 10

Push Square
8 / 10

GameSpew
8 / 10

Destructoid
7.0 / 10.0

Digital Trends
70 / 100

Polygon
6.5 / 10.0

PC Gamer
62 / 100

The lack of narrative drive is why Rime didn't click with me in the way I hoped it would. I didn't know enough about the boy or his journey to really care about why he was following this yappy fox around, even when I did find a particular puzzle engaging. When the soundtrack swells dramatically in a way that suggests the game is trying to provoke feels—which is fairly frequently—it just hasn't earned those emotional moments. I'm sad to say I was unmoved by most of Rime's attempts to engage me on a deeper narrative level. I'm not made of stone, or anything, and plenty of narrative-centric games get under my skin. I just think Rime waits too long to make you invest in what's going on.

http://www.pcgamer.com/rime-review/

GameSpot
6 / 10

USgamer
60 / 100

Rime is a beautiful, beautiful game that manages to feel remarkably empty, even in the face of its earnest attempts. The aesthetic that breathes life into the island of Rime feels a bit too familiar, but it doesn't dampen its vast, ever-photographable horizons. Nonetheless, Rime is a light third-person adventure game with quiet puzzle solving, in a year where we haven't had much of those, which alone makes it a worthwhile respite.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/rime-review

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Review scores are mostly positive but there are still a few with some interesting scores

Really excited to play this.

More games should take inspiration from the works of Team Ico

All in on a Switch version when that becomes available.

FelipeMGM

Here is mine with a English verdict burb. Took me like 6-7h to finish and I found something like 50% of the secrets and collectibles on the first playthrough. Explored a lot on the beginning but not that much from middle to end on my first playthrough

Reloading BR - 8.7/10 (In Portuguese)

RiME not only drinks from the source of titles like ICO, Journey, Brothers and Unfinished Swan as it joins them as products that justify the defense that video games are in addition to entertainment products, pieces of great artistic value. It's lack of depth in the puzzles does not detract from how Tequilla Works built with praise a beautiful adventure. Relaxing on its moments of discovery and exploration and intriguing and apprehensive in the most dramatic moments. RiME is a captivating journey from beginning to end.

It's a great videogame with insanely beautiful artistic aspects like world building and music.

The story is intriguing at first and incredibly well constructed when you look in hindsight after finishing it, so I recommend going in with no spoilers at all about that. Its really special stuff

The weakest point is probably the puzzles. Not that they are bad, they are interesting and also diverse, but they are very basic and hardly really gives any challenge. They dont build up much on their puzzle mechanics despite them beeing smart ideas.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Seem like european publications like it more than their US counterparts - expected.

jacobeid

Banned
Damn that is quite a range. I'm hoping when I play it I enjoy it but it seems yu either really love it or think it's ok at best.

Quite a range.
Looks like bigger sites reviewed lower. Time to read!

Umm, so is this good or bad?

Such a huge gap between the larger sites and some of the smaller sites...

I guess everyone had a unique experience....

Watch out. People got real aggressive when I suggested that the reviews were divisive in the other thread.

Cornbread78

Umm, so is this good or bad?

Such a huge gap between the larger sites and some of the smaller sites...

I guess everyone had a unique experience....

big fake

Seems to be a good game. Might have to pick this up down the line. Those GameSpot and USgamer scores are reason enough for me to eventually try this.

Guevara

Reviews seem pretty solid.

There's still time to get it at the Amazon Prime preorder price of $23.99, which I'm considering.

The amazing soundtrack and art style makes this an easy buy for me. Plus with limited time these days (thanks open university) finishing a game in 6 hours is a welcome sight!

Can't wait!

DrChicken

Neo Member
Pause Resume - Rime Review - 4/5

"It won’t present much of a challenge but RiME is a delightful experience from beginning to end. It urges you forward at every turn and while there are minor technical issues, it’s a wonderful game that most should explore."

totowhoa

Banned
The gap isn't THAT large guys. A few points is just that.

Either way, I was expecting lower scores. I'm excited to check this out!

Ashby

Huh. Not sure why but I wasn't expecting such high reviews and I would like to have something to play on my Switch now that I'm finally done with Zelda...

Mdk7

My review for IGN Italia, 8.8
A touching adventure that will be remembered for its stellar emotional value rather than for its (fairly good) gameplay: prepare some tissues because you're definitely gonna need them, as you'll experience one of the most memorable epilogues ever.

Honestly, I was going to give the game below 8 until 20' from the ending.
The epilogue was just so incredibly good that I felt the need to increase the score of 1 full point because of that only, as it really had such a tremendous impact on me (it's something I will remember for years, and that made the game better in retrospect).
That said, I can also perfectly understand scores around the 7.5 mark, because the game has its flaws (above alle the puzzle being pretty bland and straightforward IMHO, and some performance problems even on PS4 Pro).

BigEmil

This game seems a bunch of been there done that don't see anything special about the game from everything I seen so far including the artstyle similar to The Witness

J@hranimo

Banned
The score range is really intriguing.

With that said, I've made my decision. Will grab the physical for Switch for sure. Now to avoid spoilers for a few months D:

I don't really think the reviews seem that divisive? Lowest reviews are 6, and there are only four of them. And Polygon were never going to like Rime anyway, as its not a mediocre superhero film.

ramparter

Banned
The range seems pretty normal to me for this kind of game. I wouldn't say 6 are very low scores. Game looks solid, it's just not for everyone.

Mdk7

this
I wonder if this is due to it being more an experience than a "game"

It's not really an experience, I mean it is indeed (DAT ENDING) yet the structure is absolutely "gamey" in a traditional sense.
The thing is, that core game structure, is solid but far from stellar IMHO... So it really depends how much you value the emotional part of it.

Top Bottom