• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Final Fantasy 12 Zodiac Age PS4/PS4 Pro vs PS2/Emulation Graphics Comparison

Full title: Final Fantasy 12 Zodiac Age PS4/PS4 Pro vs PS2/Emulation Graphics Comparison + Frame-Rate Test

Article.

We didn't quite know what to expect from Final Fantasy 12: The Zodiac Age on PlayStation 4 and PS4 Pro. On the one hand, developer Virtuous Games did a good job with its existing Final Fantasy 10 and 10-2 remasters, with decent artwork upgrades that sat well on a full HD display. On the other hand, the same developer handled Batman: Return to Arkham - a reasonable port, but with scant upgrades for PS4 Pro users. The good news is that The Zodiac Age is the best way to experience Final Fantasy 12, but the bad news is that PS4 Pro users are still poorly served with only minimal upgrades over base hardware.

At least Virtuous Games' work holds up generally though - with graphical upgrades that range from massively upgraded resolution, along with enhanced effects work, tweaked texturing, and a few welcome gameplay changes. The original PS2 release operates at an anamorphic 512x448 resolution, meaning a 9x increase in pixel-count for base PlayStation 4 users, rising to a 16x boost on PS4 Pro.

Video.

Mr Moose

Why does it look so blurry?

My copy will arrive tomorrow, didn't get round to completing it on PS2 (still have it, and my PS2 though).

kc44135

Downsampling? I realize it won't make much of a difference with this game, but still, thought I'd ask. Didn't see any mention of it in the article.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
2017-07-1018_25_26-4kbdxbn.png

2017-07-1018_25_39-4kapykf.png

BigEmil

Virtuous studios ruined FF10's faces and facial animations plus the new art isn't much similar to original art, good to see they didn't do the same with FF12's maybe experience plus maybe Square Enix gave some input this time too, decent overall, shame alot of environment textures not really remastered much, and i hate DOF effect so much
Also no wonder KH 1.5+2.5 is 1080p 60fps on PS4 while this one is 30fps since KH Remix was done in-house while FF12 outsourced to Virtuous studios to remaster while Square only handing the OST remastering stuff maybe other stuff too

mieumieu

Virtuous studios did terrible with the FF10 remaster imo ruined the character models and facial animations, good to see they didn't do the same with FF12's character models maybe experience plus maybe Square Enix gave some input this time too, hair is a bit eh but other than that it's decent overall, shame environment textures most of it not really remastered
Also no wonder KH 1.5+2.5 is 1080p 60fps on PS4 while this one is 30fps since KH Remix was done in-house compared while FF12 outsourced to Virtuous studios to remaster while Square only handing the OST remastering stuff maybe other stuff too

wow you babbled a lot with pure conjecture.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
30FPS. C'MON.

Yes, they say it's an engine issue. That's why you invest the money to fix it.

They would need to remake the game and engine which wouldn't be possible in this 'remaster'.

Also .. great vid and article. As bad as SE's new-game production has been this gen so far, at least their remastering efforts have been on-point.

edit: minus their continuous omission for 1080p TV users in terms of down sampling. I have a 4K TV so ... sorrynotsorry in my case :p

thumb

Banned
... You don't really understand how that works, do you?

Unless you are about to explain to me how it is literally impossible to invest the engineering resources to fix this, then the the details are unimportant for my complaint. This is a remaster. Do the remastering.

You could say "it's too expensive to fix" but I doubt you have access to the numbers behind that decision either.

Frostman

Another poor Pro game. Honestly, the last 4 games I have played have had no or poor Pro support. So frustrating.

1440p, really? Why can't this achieve native 4K? No supersampling? What's going on.

Tyaren

Did they mention that downsampling is disabled once again on 1080p screens? (I watched the video but I guess I wasn't very focused...)

Please, Digital Foundry, it would be great if at least you would address this issue each and every time, when it arises in a game, to spread awareness and maybe at some point Sony will work on the issue.

Briarios

Unless you are about to explain to me how it is literally impossible to invest the engineering resources to fix this, then the the details are unimportant for my complaint. This is a remaster. Do the remastering.

You could say "it's too expensive to fix" but I doubt you have access to the numbers behind that decision either.

It's difference between a remake and a remaster. You'd basically need all new code to make it work the way you're talking about - piecemealing it could easily break everything.

Crash bandicoot, being a remake, is a legitimate target of the 60 fps bandwagon.

RRockman

Banned
Virtuous studios ruined FF10's faces and facial animations, good to see they didn't do the same with FF12's maybe experience plus maybe Square Enix gave some input this time too, decent overall, shame alot of environment textures not really remastered much, and i hate DOF effect so much
Also no wonder KH 1.5+2.5 is 1080p 60fps on PS4 while this one is 30fps since KH Remix was done in-house while FF12 outsourced to Virtuous studios to remaster while Square only handing the OST remastering stuff maybe other stuff too

bedman%20win4_zpswcduw4ly.jpg

kromeo

30FPS. C'MON.

Some games like Tales of Symphonia and FFX HD were never playable at 60fps despite fans trying for ages.. I think for a remaster it's probably just more effort than it's worth for the publisher

thumb

Banned
It's difference between a remake and a remaster. You'd basically need all new code to make it work the way you're talking about - piecemealing it could easily break everything.

I accept that this is a possibility, but not an inevitability. As a small-scale example, Little King's Story was locked at 30 because the engine assumed that refresh rate. Durante was hired to go in and fix it. One guy. He managed to get all but the boss fights running at 60. This does not automatically mean you could do this with FF12. But it's an example that shows that you don't always need to rewrite the entire game. You may however need to hire someone focused on just performance.

If only there were an article you could read that explained it.

I read the highlighted part in OP but I couldn't understand what was exactly added on PS4 PRO.
Edit: It seems PS4 PRO is 1440p. Why not Native 4K? It is not even 60 FPS. Even DigitalFoundry were surprised.

Vashetti

Banned
chandoog said in the Pro enhancements thread that this likely doesn't have downsampling, but would have liked proper DF confirmation.

@dark10x can you make that a fixture for every Pro article/video where the game renders higher than 1080p?

Also looking forward to DF's article on Pro's downsampling woes.

Trace

Banned
Virtuous studios ruined FF10's faces and facial animations, good to see they didn't do the same with FF12's maybe experience plus maybe Square Enix gave some input this time too, decent overall, shame alot of environment textures not really remastered much, and i hate DOF effect so much

30FPS. C'MON.

Some quality hot-takes in here.

It's a great remaster overall, but when playing earlier today I was bothered by some of the texture work in cities and dungeons. It looks almost like they've applied a photoshop filter to everything and it just doesn't click with me. Outdoor areas look much better though, as do characters.

BigEmil

wow you babbled a lot with pure conjecture.
I don't understand
Some games like Tales of Symphonia and FFX HD were never playable at 60fps despite fans trying for ages.. I think for a remaster it's probably just more effort than it's worth for the publisher
Tales of Symphonia has a 60fps mod done by a random guy just a few weeks after release, don't know about FFX on PC i think that one is still locked to 30fps no one found a way to get it to 60fps afaik

Shin-Ra

Following WipEout Omega Collection this is a pretty underwhelming remaster, both technically and artistically. Well, they did a very nice job remaking a lot of UI art, especially important for an RPG but environments and characters should've seen more, while staying true to the original art and not making the same mistakes as FFX/X-2.

The automated filtering, similar to Ōkami HD's super-resolution filtering, doesn't work well with a lot of shape patterns, especially with more realistic, detailed but often lower-res source material. Things you'll be staring at for hours like running Vaan's pointy angular feet ;) should've been picked up and the geometry smoothed.

Engine limitation. In other words going to 60fps would break the game, it's likely that numerous aspects of the game are tied to the frame rate and would run too fast with a higher FPS.

As you said it's a remaster. Well that's why its literally impossible to invest the resources, they were budgeted for a remaster not to rebuild the entire game from scratch.

Dizzy-4U

Would it be possible to select the camera control this time? I remember that screwed me up badly back in the day, never got used to it.

Top Bottom