• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Final Fantasy 12 Zodiac Age PS4/PS4 Pro vs PS2/Emulation Graphics Comparison

leng jai

I'm actually slightly less mad that there's no downsampling seeing that it's only1440p. Surely they had enough resources to manage 4K/30fps for a PS2 game?

Vashetti

Banned
Really crazy how it's not 4k on the pro when there are so many 4k remasters on the Pro. FFX and XII are the glaring omissions, considering a PS3 title like TLOU was able to make the push to 4K but this couldn't. :/

FFX/X-2 has no Pro support.

I'm actually slightly less mad that there's no downsampling seeing that it's only1440p. Surely they had enough resources to manage 4K/30fps for a PS2 game?

Why do people say 'only' 1440p? Is it because 1440 doesn't seem much higher than 1080p?

1920 x 1080 = 2,073,600 pixels
2560 x 1440 = 3,686,400 pixels

Quite a jump.

Jinroh

Yeah people don't realize it's nearly twice the amount of pixels. It has a huge impact on performance and on a computer screen the difference is night and day.

It's actually a more practical gaming resolution on pc screens, seeing as they rarely exceed 27 inches. I don't feel the need at all yet to switch to 4K.

leng jai

FFX/X-2 has no Pro support.

Why do people say 'only' 1440p? Is it because 1440 doesn't seem much higher than 1080p?

1920 x 1080 = 2,073,600 pixels
2560 x 1440 = 3,686,400 pixels

Quite a jump.

Downsampling from 1440p doesn't make that much difference at 1080p to me if there is already a good AA solution.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Really crazy how it's not 4k on the pro when there are so many 4k remasters on the Pro. FFX and XII are the glaring omissions, considering a PS3 title like TLOU was able to make the push to 4K but this couldn't. :/

You can't fault the Pro as a console for this. This is purely on the developer.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Eh

1440p on Pro is perfect imo. Not 4K, even though probably capable of that, but that's fine with me.

It's better than 1080p, yes.

But I paid $575 canadian for the console and $3000 on a 4k tv. I at least want my ps2 remasters to be in 4k, not this lame, lazy, half measure they call pro support.

It's bullshit. Sony should mandate better support for the PRO.

jackal27

Banned
The small problem with adding dynamic and contact shadows..

FFXIItzaShadowfloat.gif

It reveals floating geometry!
Man, but tbh it makes those colors really pop.

jackal27

Banned
Yup, enjoy being a misled 1080peasant like me.
So what exactly does this mean for those of us with 1080p TVs?? I never understand this stuff.

EDIT: WHOOPS! Big apologies for the double post.

EDIT EDIT: Just Googled it and if I'm reading right we're missing out a much clearer image correct?

Magnus

There are? Honestly asking. I didn't realize there were many 4k titles at all yet, never mind remasters.

This thread (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1324251) says there are these -- not a lot, and they come with exceptions/issues:
- AC: Ezio Collection
- Bulletstorm (possibly)
- CoD: MW (2160c)
- Diablo III: UE
- Skyrim: SE (with sub-30 fps)
- KH 1.5/2.5 (but with tons of frame issues, apparently?)
- TLoU (but with shadow errors)

Copper

Honestly I'm glad there is Pro support at all. 1440p should look good even on a 4k screen.
I'm impressed with the added shadows and lighting. Can't wait to play tomorrow. Hard to believe this was a PS2 game.

Vashetti

Banned
So what exactly does this mean for those of us with 1080p TVs?? I never understand this stuff.

EDIT: WHOOPS! Big apologies for the double post.

EDIT EDIT: Just Googled it and if I'm reading right we're missing out a much clearer image correct?

It means we may as well be playing on a regular PS4.

We are indeed missing out on a much clearer image.

Copper

Played the ENG Zodiac version on PC and it was fire. Looks like that is still the best way to experience the game.

Nah, did you see all the added shadows? You can't do that through an emulator.

isn't that the case for most Pro enhancements? If want to get the most out of the Pro getting a 4k display really is the best option.

jackal27

Banned

Ohhh well, I am playing on a regular PS4 so I suppose that's not a concern for me personally. That's sucks for you guys though.

Also, you people acting like you should just play the game emulated are really confusing me. This version has so many improvements compared to the original US release right?

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Didn't someday say the game also uses the highest quality character models for level of detail transitions compared to ps2 version.

When a Naughty Dog game is your base level comparison 95% of console titles start to look like shit. Virtuos is basically a port house lately.

Jolkien

Ohhh well, I am playing on a regular PS4 so I suppose that's not a concern for me personally. That's sucks for you guys though.

Also, you people acting like you should just play the game emulated are really confusing me. This version has so many improvements compared to the original US release right?

A lot. And even more improvement compared to what can be emulated.

The only real downside i see is some of those filtered textures look awful... Not all of them, mind you... But like the desert ground... Looks like someone applied an old fashion snes emulator filter to them which washes away the detail and makes it look almost cartoony, clashing with the improved models

Not nearly enough downside to hold me back from getting it, but i was always planning on waiting for a sale cause i didn't like 12 much.

Slaythe

Played the ENG Zodiac version on PC and it was fire. Looks like that is still the best way to experience the game.

HAHAHA

With that god awful LoD that swaps textures of everything whenever you walk next to it ?

I think not.

Especially not with the remaster permanently displaying high LoD and having better lightning, shadows, and Vaan abs on top of it.

Paragon

Oh, that new color grading is hideous.
It looks like a terrible SweetFX/ReShade profile applied to the game.
That blurry appearance is not just due to a stronger depth of field effect - it's because they've made the image look really flat and low contrast now.
There are sometimes images which look like that posted to the PC screenshots thread, and all I can think is that it must be the result of what happens when you start tweaking an image to "look good" on a badly calibrated, low contrast display. It's upsetting that someone got paid to do that.

At least they don't appear to have butchered the character models this time around, like they did with Final Fantasy X, but I'm glad that emulation is an option.

It's a shame that Digital Foundry appear to be using component video to capture PS2 footage too, because it makes the game look worse than it ought to, with the reduced chroma resolution and ringing/sharpening.

HAHAHA

With that god awful LoD that swaps textures of everything whenever you walk next to it ?

I think not.

Especially not with the remaster permanently displaying high LoD and having better lightning, shadows, and Vaan abs on top of it.

And, you know, the whole "you get an extra job for a character" thing.

teiresias

As others have said the PS2 version looks better.

I assume in other pictures this is not the case?

I think the lighting upgrades, the ambient occlusion, the character model and shadows, all come together to make the remaster look better - particularly since I've played the game once on PS3, and once via emulation.

I'm not really sure that the softness isn't since they were capturing on a Pro set to 4K output. Maybe Dark could clarify what was done here (whether it was captured from the Pro set to 1080p or 4K for the remainder of the video after talking about the resolution specifically). I'd think that 4k output would inherently be softer since it's upscaling 1440p prior to output that I would think inherently introduced some softness to the picture.

Frankly, after the jaggy mess that is the game on PS2, I'll take a little softness and the other graphical and gameplay upgrades.

It's also obvious that environment pop-in has been reduced. This is pretty apparent in the footage from Rabanastre, though I wish they'd have increased the NPC draw distance as well to reduce that pop-in.

Zil33184

There are? Honestly asking. I didn't realize there were many 4k titles at all yet, never mind remasters.

This thread (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1324251) says there are these -- not a lot, and they come with exceptions/issues:
- AC: Ezio Collection
- Bulletstorm (possibly)
- CoD: MW (2160c)
- Diablo III: UE
- Skyrim: SE (with sub-30 fps)
- KH 1.5/2.5 (but with tons of frame issues, apparently?)
- TLoU (but with shadow errors)

It hits a pretty consistent 4K60, and you forgot wipeout.

After Prey, and now this, I'm getting sort of sick of the Pro as well.
Prey has Pro support now.

And they didn't add that plant, it's in the ps2 version too, but only pops in when you get closer.
So there's greater draw distance in Zodiac Age versus before, then? Digital Foundry don't seem to have mentioned that.

eh, Kingdom Hearts is 4K/60fps on the same console.
It also has absolutely no AA at all, and very little in the way of detailed textures. There are tradeoffs.

Downsampling from 1440p doesn't make that much difference at 1080p to me if there is already a good AA solution.
That is the case here. It's very, very difficult to tell apart the 1080p version and the 1440p version manually downsampled with an image editor. Partially this is the specific appearance of the game, and partially it's due to the comparatively low extra detail of 1440p.

How much clearer depends on the degree of downsampling. A native 4K image sampled down to 1080p is much clearer than 1440p down to 1080p.

There are 42 native 4K games on Pro, including 12 remasters.

Not with this game. Can you tell which of these crops is from the native 1080p version, and which is downsampled? (I did it manually.) If I didn't already know, I almost certainly couldn't tell. And this is with 400% zoom.

zodiac32xx0f.png

zodiac7njlx0.png

In this picture it's not the case, for some people. "Looks better" is a purely subjective assessment. The only objective statement to make is that in every picture, Zodiac Age has much more detail than the PS2 version.

It's a shame that Digital Foundry appear to be using component video to capture PS2 footage too, because it makes the game look worse than it ought to, with the reduced chroma resolution and ringing/sharpening.
What are they supposed to use instead? Component was the best possible option for PS2, wasn't it?

OverQ

I hype bought the Steelbook edition (because FFXII and awesome artwork) but I'm now wondering whether to wait and play the inevitable ultimate PC version especially in light of the poor Pro support.

Paragon

What are they supposed to use instead? Component was the best possible option for PS2, wasn't it?
The PS2 supported RGB. You have to choose between RGB and component video for games which support progressive scan, but that does not apply to Final Fantasy XII.
I'm not 100% clear on what the situation is with the original PS3 systems that had hardware backwards compatibility, so I don't know if they might also be an option.
I know that 480i games do require additional processing, since the PS3 could not output a 480i signal over HDMI and did a bad job outputting 480p.
I remember there being talk of a blurring issue initially (unfortunately those image links are dead) but I think that was fixed via a firmware update.
I don't think that there's a way to get a clean 1:1 digital output from the original hardware though, unless a mod exists now.

Genei_Jin

Neo Member
I'm very disappointed that it's not 4K on PS4 Pro. Oh well... I'm going to wait for a flash sale and hope for a patch.

Will there be a PC version of this remaster?

30FPS. C'MON.

Yes, they say it's an engine issue. That's why you invest the money to fix it.

Dealing with legacy code is kind of like renovating a house where, having identified a non-load bearing wall you knock it down to find that suddenly the taps don't work. So you fix the taps and the doorbell catches fire.

The fire won't go out but at least you can put some police tape around it so people don't try to use it. Unfortunately the tape also attracts wasps. The wasps start building nests in the attic, and there's so many of them that you need to rebuild the wall you knocked down earlier just to keep the roof from caving in.

So now you are back where you started, only with wasps in the attic and a permanent fire at the front door. At least the taps still work.

For 32767 litres anyway, at which point the pipes implode

The PS2 supported RGB. You have to choose between RGB and component video for games which support progressive scan, but that does not apply to Final Fantasy XII.
RGB is a type of component video. Are you perhaps thinking of composite video? If so, it would be weird for Digital Foundry to use that. For years dark10x has been a stickler for optimal image delivery in old games. But then, he didn't write this article so maybe the source image isn't pristine? Perhaps he'll drop by and let us know.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Equating what modders can do on PC to what paid developers with source code access can do is pretty hilarious.

Certainly it would be non-trivial amount of work, but not some impossible task given enough time and budget. But just by looking at the upscaled textures we see here, large budget is not something they had. They probably spent all their art budget on fixing Vaan's abs.

I'm curious as to what 60fps would add to Final Fantasy XII. That responsiveness is necessary for auto battling gambits?

Were there tons of panning shots?

Seriously what does 60fps add to this game?

So there's greater draw distance in Zodiac Age versus before, then? Digital Foundry don't seem to have mentioned that.
I watched the entire video twice and that potted plant is the only instance of reduced pop-in shown in all of the PS2 vs. PS4 comparisons. All of the NPC fade-in in the first city and objects in that section seemed to be identical in both versions. I don't think it's an instance of object pop-in so much as the plant may be part of the LOD of that area, and since the PS4 version uses the highest LOD throughout the game, the plant was already present in that scene when on PS2 it comes in with the higher LOD transition. DF may not have mentioned it because that was one of if not the only instance they saw in their recorded capture.

CrazyHal

This is kind of off topic but i really wish that digital foundry would turn off the comment section in their videos. They're always full of toxicity and fanboy nonsense.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I don't know about you but the remaster looks leagues better. Yes, the 'blurriness' which looks like DoF is heat-haze, we've seen in-city and other scenes with long distances, the haziness is not present there, it's in the desert area as an artistic choice.

That and all the other enhancements, shadows etc as already pointed out above.

Top Bottom