• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Final Fantasy 12 Zodiac Age PS4/PS4 Pro vs PS2/Emulation Graphics Comparison

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
1440p/30fps and no extra graphical enhancements on the PRO mean preorder cancelled.

Fuck this lame Pro support. Sick of this shit.

OmegaDL50

It's actually disappointing they got the KH Collection at 60fps but not this. Even on PS4 Pro

Port wasn't even done by the same people as KH Collection. It was Virtuos that did porting work here, same as FFX / X-2 HD Remaster.

The game logic is tied to the framerate, the game would explode.

Hence why FFX/X-2 is still 30fps, even on PC. Modders can't work it out a year later

Since it's the same porting studio I guess the same will apply to FFXII: TZA.

While 60FPS would be nice, it's not a dealbreaker as despite some movement options FFXII is still ultimately uses the ATB system for it's combat. It's certainly not some fast paced action game which would necessitate the need for such framerate affecting gameplay performance.

Patrick S.

Banned
Aside from improved graphics, the PS4 and PC versions let you switch between the new soundtrack and the PS2 original. Probably not a big deal if you don't have nostalgia for the PS2 version

Honestly, it's been ten years since I played it for a few hours on the PS2 and I don't remember any of the music. If the PS3 version doesn't have messed up textures or similar big problems, I guess that version will be fine then. Thanks!

Parsnip

Equating what modders can do on PC to what paid developers with source code access can do is pretty hilarious.

Certainly it would be non-trivial amount of work, but not some impossible task given enough time and budget. But just by looking at the upscaled textures we see here, large budget is not something they had. They probably spent all their art budget on fixing Vaan's abs.

Equating what modders can do on PC to what paid developers with source code access can do is pretty hilarious.

Certainly it would be non-trivial amount of work, but not some impossible task given enough time and budget. But just by looking at the upscaled textures we see here, large budget is not something they had. They probably spent all their art budget on fixing Vaan's abs.

I'm still amazed that they went back and made actual structural changes to gameplay (the two jobs stuff) on top of what was in IZJS. When it was announced, I figured we'd just be getting a port very similar to FFX/X-2, with maybe some boosts and a fast-forward mode and little else.

hesido

Since console games were targeting a fixed hardware as opposed to PC games, in the old times, especially japanese devs tied everything to frame rate, it was kind of a luxury because it made programming easier, at the expense of scalability, which they didn't care about.

Making this 60fps would probably be a monumental task.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Off topic question here, I'm not getting this yet, I want to play the FFX HD Remaster first, which I had bought for the PS3 before. Is there a good reason to rebuy FFX on PS4 or PC and play it there, or is the PS3 version fine?

If you already have the PS3 version it's just fine. You can even make it run at 1080p (without any AA) by toggling your PS3 system resolution to 1080p.

The differences aren't enough to need to rebuy the game, as already mentioned, you get the OST choice between original and re-arranges and on PC you can run it at even higher resolutions or PS4 at 1080p with anti aliasing. Both still run at 30 FPS. There aren't any other worthwhile changes.

Tl;dr if you already own the PS3 version, it's perfectly fine as it is.

Wait, so no downsampling for 1080p TVs is confirmed? :(
If you already have the PS3 version it's just fine. You can even make it run at 1080p (without any AA) by toggling your PS3 system resolution to 1080p.

The differences aren't enough to need to rebuy the game, as already mentioned, you get the OST choice between original and re-arranges and on PC you can run it at even higher resolutions or PS4 at 1080p with anti aliasing. Both still run at 30 FPS. There aren't any other worthwhile changes.

I dunno man, 1080p w/o AA versus 1080p w/ 4x MSAA is a reason to go for PS4 if you ask me. Not to mention the PS4 version can be had for $15-20 if you're lucky.

Edit: Forgot, PS4 has the turbo mode booster that is missing on PS3, very nice for grinding late game.

Edit 2: Wait, maybe turbo mode was PC only. I can't remember.

Yup, enjoy being a misled 1080peasant like me.
tumblr_msj6db0taw1qzpxx1o1_1280.jpg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wait, so no downsampling for 1080p TVs is confirmed? :(

I dunno man, 1080p w/o AA versus 1080p w/ 4x MSAA is a reason to go for PS4 if you ask me. Not to mention the PS4 version can be had for $15-20 if you're lucky.

Well ... I'm the same guy who kept insisting in each Persona 5 topic how I'd buy the PS3 version because it'd be cheaper and I also have a PS3 but was the first one in the local GameStop to buy the PS4 steelbook 9PM the night before it released...

so maybe not listen to me :p

Edit: Forgot, PS4 has the turbo mode booster that is missing on PS3, very nice for grinding late game.

I thought the turbo boost and toggling cheats on/off were PC exclusive. Are all of those present in PS4 too ? I never bought the FFX remaster on PS4. I have it on both PS3 and PC.

Well ... I'm the same guy who kept insisting in each Persona 5 topic how I'd buy the PS3 version because it'd be cheaper and I also have a PS3 but was the first one in the local GameStop to buy the PS4 steelbook 9PM the night before it released...

so maybe not listen to me :p

I thought the turbo boost and toggling cheats on/off were PC exclusive. Are all of those present in PS4 too ? I never bought the FFX remaster on PS4. I have it on both PS3 and PC.
Yeah I honestly can't remember, it might have only been on PC but I could have sworn I had it for my PS4 playthrough. I could be mixing that up with FF7 though.

Seik

Banned
Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeh.

I just cancelled my PS4 Pre-order...I have both the PS2 and International Version with a PC that can properly run PCSX2 since years.

I'll just skip this one, we'll see, it's preparing for shipment on Amazon so there's no guarantee they'll manage to cancel it in time.

Sorry I get you two mixed up as I always see you both in that thread >.<
That's quite all right, the point of my post wasn't about credit. It's that treating Digital Foundry as the only reliable word on console game tech is not a helpful thing. They get things wrong or leave things out of their analysis pretty regularly. On the flip side, people who don't work for DF can be just as good sources for information. (Obviously, you should treat other potential sources with caution too.)

Oemenia

Banned
Looks great but it could've been a bit better. No redrawn textures and fake(ish) widescreen. Also compared to FFX, it looks really low poly.

Patrick S.

Banned

Yeah, I was looking at the DF article Vashetti linked, and while the ambient occlusion on the PS4 looks nice, it's a very subtle thing that I don't feel matters a lot. A more noticeable addition is the switch from blob hands to hands with proper fingers for some characters, this is an improvement I'll be a bit jealous of.

SkylineRKR

1440p/30fps and no extra graphical enhancements on the PRO mean preorder cancelled.

Fuck this lame Pro support. Sick of this shit.

The Pro is simply shit at this point. They don't force downsampling on 1080p sets like they want to sell 4K televisions, yet there isn't even 4K BR playback on it.

After Prey, and now this, I'm getting sort of sick of the Pro as well. I hope the One X does well, that might force Sony to rethink their policies.

Ploid 3.0

It's unfortunate it can't run at 60fps, now if only SE made awesome FF Games in the modern times that can take advantage of 60fps on PC or later console remasters. FF13 and FF15 were disappointing to me, but I'm sure a ton of people love those.

This is how most of the PC gamers feel over the years with high performance GPU and poor optimization.

We do have a wonderful system that is capable of doing over 4k and 60 fps on a PS2 remastered title, but lazy developers are being just lazy.

Sadly they won't see my money until they do something, just like I did with Arkham Remaster.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Bummer that it isn't native 4k on Pro. Thought for sure it would be able to do it after the KH Remasters.

Still I like the way the game looks in HD a lot. It has charm to it.

OmegaDL50

This is how most of the PC gamers feel over the years with high performance GPU and poor optimization.

We do have a wonderful system that is capable of doing over 4k and 60 fps on a PS2 remastered title, but lazy developers are being just lazy.

Sadly they won't see my money until they do something, just like I did with Arkham Remaster.

tenor.gif

eh, Kingdom Hearts is 4K/60fps on the same console. Not all remasters are treated with the same amount of care obviously.

How is 1440p perfect? What a strange post. 4K would be perfect, that's what current TVs are displaying as their native resolution.

I'm fine with 1440p it would look plenty sharp on my TV.

I just didn't want only 1080p.

killatopak

Gold Member
Can you plug it in a 1440p pc monitor, and get the audio from the controller?

I wonder if the system could recognize that and not output 1080p.

OmegaDL50

1440p looks pretty damn good and is a tangible boost in of itself.

True enough, considering FF12's internal rendering res was 512x448 the jump to 2560x1440 is significant of itself.

Although 4K would have definitely been nice. Still resolution isn't the only factor to consider with the new textures, shaders and lighting details. This doesn't even factor the gameplay and audio additions. It is a decent remaster, despite what some folks claim.

1440p looks pretty damn good and is a tangible boost in of itself.

My "visible image quality" according to gaf is within 1440p and 1620p compared to the screen size and distance of view.

But after seeing Skyrim and Kingdom Hearts remaster at 4K I'm pretty sure I can say 4K is the real boost for remasters.

1440p looks nice on Ghost Recon Wildlands and Uncharted 4. Not that great with low polly characters and low res remastered textures.

PS4 Pro support has been a joke.

Don't take this remaster too seriously (Virtous didn't do a great job with Arkham at all). We do have amazing achievements with Pro.

But the lack of effort it's really annoying.

Magnus

I have to ask....is Downsampling really that huge a deal? Can people really notice the lost detail without downsampling on the average 1080p screen (36 -
55")? I don't mean to be shit-stirring, just curious.

Off topic question here, I'm not getting this yet, I want to play the FFX HD Remaster first, which I had bought for the PS3 before. Is there a good reason to rebuy FFX on PS4 or PC and play it there, or is the PS3 version fine?

The load times on all of the PS3 Square remasters suck. They're worse than on the PS2. I'm not kidding. I found it infuriating to get 2-4 second loads on every single scene transition (like going inside a building, or whatever). It might be mitigated if you have an SSHD/SSD in your PS3 though.

The PS4 load times are a fraction of that, and essentially operate as smoothly as the PS2 versions.

And yeah, the original OST being available only on the PS4 is kind of a deal-breaker for me (on the PS3 version, that is).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I have to ask....is Downsampling really that huge a deal? Can people really notice the lost detail without downsampling on the average 1080p screen (36 -
I'm on a 32 inch 1080p display for another month or two and the difference is clear. Just an overall sharper, cleaner image.

Vashetti

Banned

Every Pro game that supports downsampling looks super crisp on my 1080p TV.

It's the best form of anti-aliasing.

Really crazy how it's not 4k on the pro when there are so many 4k remasters on the Pro. FFX and XII are the glaring omissions, considering a PS3 title like TLOU was able to make the push to 4K but this couldn't. :/

SeanTSC

Little bigger than you asked, but on my 1080p 60" Plasma it's night-and-day. I think it's some serious bullshit and absolutely laziness whenever Downsampling isn't present if a higher resolution is available.

Top Bottom