• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Final Fantasy 12 Zodiac Age PS4/PS4 Pro vs PS2/Emulation Graphics Comparison

Septimus

Very nice to see DF's version of this comparison. Been watching some lesser ones on youtube and their presentation is just really bad. Appreciate the very nicely lined up PS2 to PS4 footage and spot on transitions. The remaster itself looks fantastic. Love the new lighting and texture upgrades.

With it being a PS2 remaster, maybe they just thought it wasn't worth the extra effort for 4k and 1440p was good enough.

I'm cool with this to be honest, I don't need everything in 4k. I'm just happy this great game is getting remastered.

Did I fail to acknowledge the engine issue in my original complaint? What did I leave out from the article?

Sure you acknowledged it, but you basically pushed it aside like it was no big deal and they were just being lazy and/or cheap.

The chances are that the decision to cap at this frame-rate is down to choices made in the design of the original engine - prior attempts to hack 60fps into the PC version of the FF10 remaster have met with failure. It seems that the animation systems are hard-wired to work with a 30Hz refresh.

The point being is that this is more than likely not something that can be fixed without remaking the entire engine, i.e. no longer a remaster.

I never said that. Sony clearly has no mandates in terms of PS4 Pro support for each title.

The "mandate" as far as I'm aware is that the game needs to perform at least as well as it does on a standard PS4. Same frame rate at a higher resolution = better. It'd be a pain in the ass and probably a detriment to most developers if they flat out said you have to aim for X resolution, then you get games with lower quality effects just to put 4K on the box.

Yiazmat

It's a great improvement but I can't get past how blurry everything looks compared to the emulator.

u2bo5.jpg

gsdx_20170710135417n3zlj.jpg

Dizzy-4U

Catching up with the updates.

Holy crap, high def audio. That's huuuuuuuge. Voices were so compressed in the original release.

Catching up with the updates.

Holy crap, high def audio. That's huuuuuuuge. Voices were so compressed in the original release.

This is probably what I'm looking forward to the most, aside from getting to hear all of the music again. The visual improvements are just a cherry on top.

Shin-Ra

Unless this is an emulation glitch, Virtuos appear to have fixed some UV/alignment issues.

FFXIItzaUV.gif

Not only the ground 'scales' but also the removed mini-stripes under the crystal lamps.

edit: key word: some. The corner pillars on the far side and high up atop the nearside ones still have the mini squished stripes.

thumb

Banned
Sure you acknowledged it, but you basically pushed it aside like it was no big deal and they were just being lazy and/or cheap.

The point being is that this is more than likely not something that can be fixed without remaking the entire engine, i.e. no longer a remaster.

See here: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=243075549

Basically, if you haven't looked at the code, you can't dismiss out of hand my objection. It's fine to say I could be wholly wrong. I agree, I could be wrong. But treating my complaint as uninformed goes both ways.

Mr Moose

Has Sony come out and said this?

1080p is the mandatory minimum display resolution: Sony is keen to push developers on to higher resolutions and super-sampling down to full HD is an option, but 1080p is the lowest pixel-count allowed.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...ion-4k-neo-and-the-original-ps4-will-co-exist

Not sure if anything changed, but since most games on OG PS4 are 1080p anyway, I could see it being the minimum res for Pro.

Carn82

A bit bummed about the Pro support. Will wait out for a patch or two.. Might just play FFX/X2 in the meanwhile, hehe.

It's a great improvement but I can't get past how blurry everything looks compared to the emulator.

u2bo5.jpg

SE have been rather heavy handed with DoF on a number of games IMO. XV had it dialed up too much, especially in early builds. Type-O was way overdone with it. I dunno, just seems to be a bit of a pattern with them even though this wasn't in house.

DoF is one of those few things I really wish we had graphics options for since it impacts practically the entire image.

Briarios

Basically, if you haven't looked at the code, you can't dismiss out of hand my objection. It's fine to say I could be wholly wrong. I agree, I could be wrong. But treating my complaint as uninformed goes both ways.

But, your complaint is uninformed because you haven't seen the code, either -- I mean, the person initiating the complaint should have the proof first. We've been told it's an engine issue. We've had many developers in threads here explain to us how engine issues can limit remasters. So, it's really on you to show us evidence that it's not an engine limitation.

The thing that bothers me is the downsampling issue. If it's 4k on the Pro, Pro users with 1080p sets should get the benefits.

Sure I can, namely because you are calling them out as lazy, cheap, etc. when you have no concept of the code either. People have been trying to get 60 fps out of FFXII on PC for years and it has seemingly caused issues every time. Do you really think Virtuous Games' just said F it?

They're charging 50$ for a remaster. Unlike others, I don't think given that price makes this expectation outlandish.

Hell its $39.99 atm with Amazon Prime and if history shows us anything the price on this will drop like a rock.

thumb

Banned
But, your complaint is uninformed because you haven't seen the code, either -- I mean, the person initiating the complaint should have the proof first. We've been told it's an engine issue. We've had many developers in threads here explain to us how engine issues can limit remasters. So, it's really on you to show us evidence that it's not an engine limitation.

The thing that bothers me is the downsampling issue. If it's 4k on the Pro, Pro users with 1080p sets should get the benefits.

I just gave you an example of an engine limitation being fixed. "Engine limitation" is not the same thing as "unfixable, save for complete rewrite."

Anyhow, there's little else to say about it unless an engineer from the project speaks up or they give a post-mortem.

thumb

Banned
Sure I can, namely because you are calling them out as lazy, cheap, etc. when you have no concept of the code either. People have been trying to get 60 fps out of FFXII on PC for years and it has seemingly caused issues every time. Do you really think Virtuous Games' just said F it?

Never said lazy. And only complained that the money wasn't invested to fix it. And it would be square, not virtuous, who holds the purse strings.

Also, modders trying to hack shit in do not have access to source. "People can't hack this game to run at 60" is evidence, but it's hardly damning.

Cleve

Those desert outpost screens maybe aren't the best comparison point to make the remaster look good, I don't care for the effects implemented there. City scenes however look fantastic, and way better. Watch the video before you base it off two screenshots.

I had high hopes after Kingdom Hearts but it's looking like this is not so good. Might as well just stick with PCSX2 if it's going to look worse on the PS4 Pro.

No reason it can't be 4K since 30fps, but i guess "budget reasons" (even though they're charging $50 for it LOL)

tuxfool

Banned
Hell its $39.99 atm with Amazon Prime and if history shows us anything the price on this will drop like a rock.

Not everyone has Prime. Nor is the price drop a given. It matters what the MSRP is because they're saying that they did $50 worth of work to an existing game. A brand new game with all new engine and assets may sell for $60.

This isn't about the price one actually pays, but rather what they think this remaster is worth.

Mohasus

I accept that this is a possibility, but not an inevitability. As a small-scale example, Little King's Story was locked at 30 because the engine assumed that refresh rate. Durante was hired to go in and fix it. One guy. He managed to get all but the boss fights running at 60. This does not automatically mean you could do this with FF12. But it's an example that shows that you don't always need to rewrite the entire game. You may however need to hire someone focused on just performance.

And yet, the recommended framerate for LKS is still 30 fps since 60 fps introduces even more glitches to the port. For a PC release, having an experimental option is fine, but this doesn't fly on consoles.

For the bolded, just compare it to FFX. In FFX's case, modders considered it too much work (since it had to be done scene by scene) and any attempt for a 60 fps mod has been abandoned.

Balance tweaks matter more than framerate tweaks to me anyway. I'm sure this game would look lovely at 60fps and I think tying game logic to the displayed framerate is bugfuck crazy, but since the deed is already done I'm fine with sticking with the game as-is because polish is what matters most.

thumb

Banned
And yet, the recommended framerate for LKS is still 30 fps since 60 fps introduces even more glitches to the port. For a PC release, having an experimental option is fine, but this doesn't fly on consoles.

For the bolded, just compare it to FFX. In FFX's case, modders considered it too much work (since it had to be done scene by scene) and any attempt for a 60 fps mod has been abandoned.

These are all good points. The only thing I would note is that Durante is one guy, hired to spend some time on a single issue. In principle, things could get less experimental with more engineering time. Not perfect, but better.

I would also say that with the addition of early access games to consoles and "boost mode" on PS4 (which acknowledges potential issues) consoles are becoming safer for more experimental features.

Shin-Ra

The Estersand shot is showing a stronger heat haze on PS4. I think it looks better, also the PS4 near and far defocus.

edit: meant to say heat haze.

It's also possible the emulated version isn't scaling the blur increase properly to match the increase in resolution.

I'm a bit bummed at the 1440p on Pro but it'll still look pretty great. Hope it gets a full 4K patch eventually if they can.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
As I said before, a real shame this isn't native 4k. There should be a lot of overhead. I think Virtuous just went for the fastest thing and just boosted to 1440.

chandoog said in the Pro enhancements thread that this likely doesn't have downsampling, but would have liked proper DF confirmation.
The Pro rendering resolution and lack of downsampling were reported by me on 7/5. While I almost always caveat my conclusions, that's often out of cautiousness rather than deep doubt about the results. Confirmation from multiple sources is good, but Digital Foundry are not always thorough. They sometimes miss observations that GAF members point out, including some DF later verify. Even this article omits the (admittedly very minor) note that Zodiac Age's menus run at 60fps.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

u2bo5.jpg

This is a deliberate effect in the desert areas to simulate heat haze. The video shows a lot of other locations without any blur like that.

Vashetti

Banned
The Pro rendering resolution and lack of downsampling were reported by me on 7/5. While I almost always caveat my conclusions, that's often out of cautiousness rather than deep doubt about the results. Confirmation from multiple sources is good, but Digital Foundry are not always thorough. They sometimes miss observations that GAF members point out, including some DF later verify. Even this article omits the (admittedly very minor) note that Zodiac Age's menus run at 60fps.

Sorry I get you two mixed up as I always see you both in that thread >.<

ss_lemonade

Is widescreen here the same as the zoomed/cropped widescreen of the PS2 version? I could be remembering this wrong, but wasn't that how 16:9 support was on the PS2 version of FF12?

Patrick S.

Banned
Off topic question here, I'm not getting this yet, I want to play the FFX HD Remaster first, which I had bought for the PS3 before. Is there a good reason to rebuy FFX on PS4 or PC and play it there, or is the PS3 version fine?

Vashetti

Banned
It's actually disappointing they got the KH Collection at 60fps but not this. Even on PS4 Pro

The game logic is tied to the framerate, the game would explode.

Hence why FFX/X-2 is still 30fps, even on PC. Modders can't work it out a year later.

Off topic question here, I'm not getting this yet, I want to play the FFX HD Remaster first, which I had bought for the PS3 before. Is there a good reason to rebuy FFX on PS4 or PC and play it there, or is the PS3 version fine?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-final-fantasy-x-x2-hd-remaster-ps4-face-off

kromeo

Aside from improved graphics, the PS4 and PC versions let you switch between the new soundtrack and the PS2 original. Probably not a big deal if you don't have nostalgia for the PS2 version

Top Bottom