• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead - 6 min of gameplay

Theorry

Its from July 6th. But i believe it isnt posted yet. Its boss battles, tutorial and some boss selection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysEByZItBgA

Love this with the tutorial.

UnnaturalNecessaryIchneumonfly.gif

Jennings

Love the art style. LOVE THE MUSIC. I grew up with re-airings of those types of cartoons (they were a little ahead of my time), and would love to play a game this style.

The gameplay itself still has me on the fence though. At the moment it looks too simple or straight-forward for my tastes, but I'm sure more is yet to come.

I want to love this game.

Quonny

Man, does that art look so good. Like god DAMN is that impressive.

But the gameplay itself looks kinda...boring.

Keinning

Man, does that art look so good. Like god DAMN is that impressive.

But the gameplay itself looks kinda...boring.

I don't think the people playing are making the game justice. They really, REALLY suck. Which is why they stand around shooting like dumbasses and keep dying all the time

The game LOOKS fantastic as usual. I was really hoping they'd redo that sound design though, that parry slap and the power attacks just sound super cheap with no heft at all. Also worried they've shown little to nothing of the platforming sections. I have this terrible fear that they've overscoped on this project.

Keinning

Have you played any previous builds? I have, it's hard as balls.

Stop being rude.

Sorry but i'm not being rude when i'm stating that staying in the same place shooting (and dying when the boss is obviously going to target your row but you're still not moving) is not a great example of skill

JonnyKong

Game looks absolutely on point, but man I hope they don't make it too hard and alienate average skilled players like myself :(

Teeth

The game LOOKS fantastic as usual. I was really hoping they'd redo that sound design though, that parry slap and the power attacks just sound super cheap with no heft at all. Also worried they've shown little to nothing of the platforming sections. I have this terrible fear that they've overscoped on this project.

This is just a collection of footage scrubbed from other Youtube channels. All of the gameplay here is from a demo we showed off over a year ago and it still had all of the placeholder sound effects at that time. All the sounds have been redone since then.

The decision to hand-animate everything on ones is their biggest scope problem.

WadeitOut

Even the overworld is fantastic. I still remember watching the old Disney/WB cartoons as a kid in the late 80s/early 90s.

Ricky_R

The attention to detail here seems staggering. Looks great.

The only thing I noticed that seems a bit weird is that enemies don't react to getting shot at. They highlight, but there's no animation showing they're getting hit. I assuming they did so for a reason though.

noomi

Avoiding any gameplay from now on, we are too close to release. I already know the game will be amazing, and I wan't to save everything for the playthrough.

September, right?

Teeth

Avoiding any gameplay from now on, we are too close to release. I already know the game will be amazing, and I wan't to save everything for the playthrough.

September, right?

September 29th.

Just looks like the game is oozing with Sega inspiration all over the place. The pig shop is clearly a nod to Wonder Boy.

Yeah, the lead designer is a massive fan of the Sega Master System. There are dozens of nods to classic Master System games all over Cuphead.

Budi

The presentation looks good, but the game looks boring.
Was going to post that I don't even care if I'm having fun playing this, just the presentation makes it a must buy for me. And it feels like I've been waiting for this forever!

jett

D-Member
Animation is great but I'm not sure about the gameplay. I think the sound effects are a big part of feeling iffy about the gameplay. I understand they really want to stick to that 30's aesthetics but man some things are better left behind. The sound design makes everything seem weak and tinny.

Art looks great, gameplay looks terrible. Can't believe the best thing they could come up with was a finger gun.

I'd gladly pay 60 bucks just for the presentation. Who cares if the gameplay will be nothing groundbreaking.

People who like good games. I dunno how Cuphead will turn out but gameplay>graphics every time

inki

It looks amazing but very repetitive and honestly, a bit boring. I know it's no longer just boss battles but unfortunately I'm not a shmup fan so this doesn't look like it's for me. Maybe as we get closer to release and I learn more about it, it'll have something for me.

This is going to be something special.

It's going to end up one of those must have classics.

For me, it means even more because I have been craving games with a retro style.

I absolutely love what I've seen so far and I can't wait to play it!

Teeth

Art looks great, gameplay looks terrible. Can't believe the best thing they could come up with was a finger gun.

I'm curious, just so I know where you are coming from (because we get this a bit from people who haven't played the game) - have you ever played Contra or Gunstar Heroes? And if you have, did you find them boring?

It's a totally valid perspective to have, I'm just trying to see the angle you're coming from.

Top Bottom