• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead - 6 min of gameplay

Super duper looking forward to Cuphead! Been interested in it ever since it was first announced and shown. I'm not sure if the original boss rush model is still there, but I'm still liking what I see today :) I remember playing tons of Gunstar Heroes with friends and generally having a blast with that, and I'm often willing to pitch a few quarters into a Metal Slug machine when I got time to play.

I don't think I've seen the new weapons before, but it's good to see that the peashooter doesn't simply become obsolete once you buy more weapons. The spreadshot at least appears to not go full screen despite shooting in 3 directions, and I suspect the homing shot will deal less damage, or maybe the projectiles will track a bit but not turn on a dime.

I see that some of the weapons have "Extra Special" as well. If I have a full super meter, it looks like it will default to activating super no matter what. Will I be able to use specials instead of supers when I'm at full meter? Or will it always just be better to do a super instead of a special?

I like the shots having a different sound when one is firing in locked mode :)

Being able to adjust your loadout before entering a stage seems like a good idea; instead of losing whatever weapons you have on death or having to find specific weapons in a level, you just work with whatever you have.

I'm also hoping for a charm that gives an 8 way dash in the air, or an air dash, or an additional air jump, but we'll see :)

Edit: Oh... wasn't really aware of this video being mostly old footage, but I still liked what I saw. If stuff's been redone, I'm looking forward to the result!

no, that's not what I'm trying to say at all
I enjoyed contra a lot, but it had variety between regular enemies and levels, and then bosses at the end of each. I think if contra was nothing but bosses I might have had a lot less patience, but it's also a completely different gaming landscape today, plus my tastes have changed

all i was really asking is if there were regular enemies/levels

Yes, there are normal platforming levels now like the devs always wanted to do. I'd guess that there are normal not so bullet spongey enemies in them as well. I don't see any problem with variety with what I have seen so far.

Rektash

How is this a reply to me saying the older video looks more busy animation wise than the newer one exactly? Right. It isn't.

The old trailer didn't have anything like that bouncy boss that does nothing but jump around forever, cycling through it's 3 different attacks to a nearly static background for example. I mean, look at this. I am sorry, but this doesn't look very exciting animation wise as far as I am concerned. Neither does the whole flying section at the beginning.

Lovely art style as always.
Not feeling the gameplay as much.

Kinda agree...
I would prefer this game as an turn based - RPG or secret of Mana style :D

giphy.gif

Edit: and like typical tom and jerry cartoons you just know that lime green patch of grass and tree will animate when you get close.

TheMink

How is this a reply to me saying the older video looks more busy animation wise than the newer one exactly? Right. It isn't.

The old trailer didn't have anything like that bouncy boss that does nothing but jump around forever, cycling through it's 3 different attacks to a nearly static background for example.

What he is saying is this isn't newer footage.

Kaji AF16

Aesthetically, it is super original... but I believe that it is being overhyped without much more than the early-Disney / rubber hose animations. It doesn´t seem more complex than a good 16-bit platformer.

Lettuce

It looks incredible but the weapons still dont have enough impact sound to them, or when your hitting the enemies, they dont seem to react at all

The old trailer didn't have anything like that bouncy boss that does nothing but jump around forever, cycling through it's 3 different attacks to a nearly static background for example. I mean, look at this. I am sorry, but this doesn't look very exciting as far as I am concerned.

First off, I watched both of those vids and there is literally not one scene between the two to actually compare.

Secondly, the fact that ONE boss isn't up to your standards so you judge the entire game on it is ridiculous.

Thirdly,

What he is saying is this isn't newer footage.

This.

Rektash

First off, I watched both of those vids and there is literally not one scene between the two to actually compare.

I am saying one of the two looks a lot more busy animation wise than the other. The two videos are very comparable in that regard.

Secondly, the fact that ONE boss isn't up to your standards so you judge the entire game on it is ridiculous.

The flying section looks pretty bland as well. As does the world map traveling.

Thirdly,

This.

Completely irrelevant to the point I am trying to make here. The E3 2015 video is older still.

Definitely a joy to look at. Gameplay doesn't light my world on fire or anything but it looks solid enough and will be an instant purchase.

Galang

Banned
The artstyle is outstanding, but the gameplay looks great too. My only worry is still the platformer only sections. I prefer the boss rush style they had before.. A lot of games attempt to be platformers, but very very few imo get it right.

Aesthetically, it is super original... but I believe that it is being overhyped without much more than the early-Disney / rubber hose animations. It doesn´t seem more complex than a good 16-bit platformer.

You act as if this is a bad thing. That's exactly why many are excited about the game.

I am saying one of the two looks a lot more busy animation wise than the other. The two videos are very comparable in that regard.

What I am saying is that since there wasn't a scene to compare then those sections that you are worried about might still be there.

Do we know anything about difficulty settings or alternate modes? That could change things as well. Maybe a good question for Teeth if he can answer it.

eXistor

I'd gladly pay 60 bucks just for the presentation. Who cares if the gameplay will be nothing groundbreaking.

Presentation means nothing if the core gameplay is bad. Not saying Cuphead's gameplay is bad (not until I play it, I'm having lower and lower expectation every time I see the game tbh), but all the style and pretty graphics are gonna mean very little if you're just not having fun playing it.

Head.spawn

The old trailer didn't have anything like that bouncy boss that does nothing but jump around forever, cycling through it's 3 different attacks to a nearly static background for example. I mean, look at this. I am sorry, but this doesn't look very exciting animation wise as far as I am concerned. Neither does the whole flying section at the beginning.

Are you saying that section from the game shown in the older build isn't in the newer version?

The gameplay looks kinda weird to me because instead of firing powerful, well-timed shots your character just spams weak blasts against enemies with humongous health pools who don't react to anything. It's like playing Megaman by mashing the shoot button instead of charging the megabuster before firing.

Still gonna buy this game on GOG just for the amazing presentation.

peppers

Christ almighty this game. I'm buying this just so I can take lots of screenshots and record my gameplay and later make gifs and montages. Looks pretty hard tho.

giphy.gif

This is the most gorgeous indie game I've ever seen, without a doubt. Unfortunately the gameplay looks a bit dull but I'll still be buying this.

Kinda agree...
I would prefer this game as an turn based - RPG or secret of Mana style :D

giphy.gif

Edit: and like typical tom and jerry cartoons you just know that lime green patch of grass and tree will animate when you get close.

My exact thoughts when I saw there was an overworld, except I was thinking turn based like Mario RPG. God that would be incredible.

Lijik

Sorry but i'm not being rude when i'm stating that staying in the same place shooting (and dying when the boss is obviously going to target your row but you're still not moving) is not a great example of skill
*straight up calls people dumbasses*
"But how was i being rude tho? why cant i be critical?? 😇😇😇"

this shit is so tiring just come humble the first time

I'm curious, just so I know where you are coming from (because we get this a bit from people who haven't played the game) - have you ever played Contra or Gunstar Heroes? And if you have, did you find them boring?

It's a totally valid perspective to have, I'm just trying to see the angle you're coming from.

Yes I've played them in arcades and do not like them. Metal slug is ok.

BriGuy

Beautiful, but boring. I don't expect this one to crack a 7 on metacritic, but I would love to be proven wrong.

score01

I think this will review really well. Looks stunning and they've added platforming bits so it's not just a boss rush anymore. Love me some contra style gaming. If I had a capable pc I would be all over this.

Top Bottom