• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku UK: Sonic Mania on Switch is slightly borked

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Full story here

Sonic Mania is out, hooray! Unless you've got it on Switch, sadly. According to multiple accounts and our own testing, when playing Sonic Mania in handheld mode on Switch the capture button, home button and power buttons on the system either fail to respond at all, or are very slow to respond. This issue seems to only affect the Switch version when undocked, is not happening for every user, and is intermittent even when it does happen.

Video

I had that issue too. Taking screenshots seemed to take longer than normal; I was playing in docked mode too. Aside from that though, the Switch port is fantastic and runs flawlessly.

phanphare

Banned
yeah it's weird, when I push the home button there's like a 3 second delay before it actually goes home. only game I have that does this, with everything else it's instantaneous. kind of sucks because that's one of the best parts about the Switch and handheld mode. I'll be playing something and then when I have something else to do I just hit the home button and I'm out immediately.

still an amazing game, hopefully they patch these issues soon

Steiner

Banned
Anyone else totally relieved to see that it's just fucking with the hardware / OS, and there's no mention of game performance issues? Still getting this bad boy on the Switch.

Omikaru

I noticed this, but it doesn't really bother me too much. At the very least the Home button responds for me, it just takes a while or a few mashes of it.

I also had - and I consider this a bigger issue - an audio cut-out bug once, but finishing the Act and quitting to the main menu fixed it.

Coxy100

Banned
A few people reported this in the OT.

Still buying it tonight when I get home - hopefully it will be fixed soon :)

VRMN

Huh. I did think the system took a little longer than usual to go to sleep when I pressed the power button last night/this morning, but didn't think anything of it.

DHQpRDXVoAEzeoe.jpg%3Alarge

https://twitter.com/IMPLODINGORACLE/status/897387612565946368

Seik

Banned
I noticed it took a while to reach the Home after clicking the button.

Not that big of a deal, but definitely noticeable, will probably be fixed soon, hopefully!

Anyone else totally relieved to see that it's just fucking with the hardware / OS, and there's no mention of game performance issues? Still getting this bad boy on the Switch.
Many of us have played the game already and haven't seen any performance issues, so no surprise there.

Ash735

Already acknowledge by Christian Whitehead and the team many hours ago that they're working on a patch, no real need for a clickbait article.

They're making a bigger deal out of this issue than they should be. It definitely needs to be patched (and I can't imagine it won't be soon) but it has zero affect on gameplay and is a minor inconvenience at most. Switch owners should not hesitate to buy one of the best games released this year.

Already acknowledge by Christian Whitehead and the team many hours ago that they're working on a patch, no real need for a clickbait article.

Excellent!

Isn't this the same issue that Minecraft suffered from?

Maybe it's from an old SDK? Regardless, I'm sure it will be fixed super soon, as was Minecraft.

I was worried for a second. It is an issue that needs to be looked at, but not one that effects the performance of the game itself.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Dunno about anyone else but if I bought a game and it occassionally made my capture, power, and home screen buttons unresponsive then I'd be quite concerned. I was going to get Sonic on Switch but will hold off til it's patched.

Kyonashi

Oh I thought it was because of my Joy-Con that my screenshots weren't always taken instantly.

Same, didn't clock that it was game specific even though I personally haven't had any issues with my left joycon.

Headline got me a bit scared there was some major bug later in the game but this is fairly minor and will be patched I imagine so nbd.

BiggNife

"Slightly borked" makes it sound way worse than it actually is.

It's a little annoying sure, but it doesn't affect gameplay at all. The game runs super smooth and I've gotten to the fourth Zone with zero performance issues whatsoever.

Dunno about anyone else but if I bought a game and it occassionally made my capture, power, and home screen buttons unresponsive then I'd be quite concerned. I was going to get Sonic on Switch but will hold off til it's patched.

I don't think anyone here is saying it's not an issue, but in the grand scheme of things it's pretty minor.

kami_sama

Is this sarcasm? I really hope so. The game runs perfectly fine on Switch.
No its not sarcasm. The game is great, and the problem isn't very huge, but it's still an issue to work out. Also it gives me an excuse to wait a little. It's not like it's going to dissappear from the eshop.

Berordn

Sonic Mania is actually not the only game I've had the Home Button stop working on me. It happened in Binding of Isaac a few times where the home and power buttons would bring up overlays as expected, but the game wouldn't release control.

A fairly minor thing, either way.

Top Bottom