• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku UK: Sonic Mania on Switch is slightly borked

KHlover

Banned
Already acknowledge by Christian Whitehead and the team many hours ago that they're working on a patch, no real need for a clickbait article.
Agreed on the clickbait part, but it still warrants a mention. Not everyone uses twitter to follow devs (or uses the site at all).

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think anyone here is saying it's not an issue, but in the grand scheme of things it's pretty minor.

Not saying it's a major issue either, but something that people should definitely be aware of even if it doesn't directly affect gameplay.

And I dunno if it's an English thing but 'slightly borked' doesn't sound serious at all to me. I don't think the article is blowing it out of proportion at all.

Hmmm I can get by with the capture and home buttons not working, but the power button is a bit concerning. Is this happening to everyone or just some people?

Not saying it's a major issue either, but something that people should definitely be aware of even if it doesn't directly affect gameplay.

And I dunno if it's an English thing but 'slightly borked' doesn't sound serious at all to me. I don't think the article is blowing it out of proportion at all.

My immediate thought was, "Oh no, something is wrong with the gameplay."

Robin64

They should mention the real bugs that affect the actual game, such as crashing when failing to connect to leaderboards or falling out of the level after beating 2-2's boss with a fire shield.

Hmmm I can get by with the capture and home buttons not working, but the power button is a bit concerning. Is this happening to everyone or just some people?

Seems to be everyone in the OT, but you just press it a couple of times and you'll get a response from the button. It's not broken forever.

duckroll

Capture button seemed fine, Home button is definitely slow to respond. Game runs great though. It's definitely a bug, no reason to think it won't be fixed.

Shifty

Messing with system-level functions is kind of a big deal on the software side. That's not something your application should even be able to do from inside its sandbox.

On the user side I guess it's not a deal-breaker, but I quite like being able to quit the game or turn off my console.

meppi

That's not technically in the game. The guide/manual is an online thing, but yeh they probably should have used a generic controller.

That's correct. The controller that is actually in the game is a Japanese Sega Saturn pad, just like it should be! :D

CR6g0kL.jpg

Something rather weird going on with a couple of games as of late though.
The unresponsiveness with the home buttons here, but also the mystery of the play history being absent for Strikers 1945.

kami_sama

I don't know for me "slightly borked" means that it has a small issue, which is true.
Dont know why people are thinking that the headline is exaggerated.

My immediate thought was, "Oh no, something is wrong with the gameplay."

Yeah, that's the problem with the headline. The issue is akin to playing Smash Bros. on a standard 3DS. There's a delay when going to the home menu or putting the system in sleep mode. That's it. It's a minor annoyance at worst. It has nothing to do with the actual gameplay experience.

That being said, there are some bugs in the game itself, but they don't appear to be exclusive to Switch and fortunately, they're not common AND they're being addressed by the dev team already.

I don't know for me "slightly borked" means that it has a small issue, which is true.
Dont know why people are thinking that the headline is exaggerated.

And it's not just the headline. This is the first part of the article:

Sonic Mania is out, hooray! Unless you've got it on Switch, sadly.

They're presenting the issue as a bigger deal than it is and acting as if its release on Switch is not something to be excited about. There are ways to report on the issue without resorting to this.

Seems to be everyone in the OT, but you just press it a couple of times and you'll get a response from the button. It's not broken forever.

Ah I see, so it's just inconsistently responsive. That's still a bit of a pain since I tend to sleep my Switch constantly even in the middle of play sessions, but certainly not a huge deal.

RM8

Very minor problem, lol. How did developers even survive in the days before online patches, it seems like nowadays they're overly reliant on them.

devonodev

Real talk, with this and the Minecraft screenshot issue, what's going on with the Switch OS? Are there any games on the other consoles that have had similar OS issues within games?

Yeah, my entire Switch actually crashed after pressing the home menu then going to the news while running Mania. Hope the fix is quick!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So the game forces you to play it endlessly with no escape until the battery dies??

Sounds like the definitive version.

I probably wouldn't have even known this was a thing if not for this thread, and I've been playing all morning.

Since then I've gone back to see if it happens to me. Tried three times and everything was fine. The fourth time, the Home menu didn't appear when I pressed the button. I pressed it again, and it worked as usual.

I guess I'll wait on it, then. Really wanted handheld Sonic.

Please don't wait. You can still put your system in sleep mode and access the home menu. There's just a short delay. That's it. The game is wonderful.

This type of article is incredibly misleading. A real shame.

BiggNife

"Borked" has the connotation of something being broken or busted, as opposed to a minor bug. I think a lot of people went into this thread thinking there would be major performance issues along the lines of the Switch ports of Overcooked and Mr. Shifty, regardless of "slightly" being used.

It's funny how people are trying to defend this because it doesn't effect game play. If it makes basic system functions like turning off the system not work, then yeah there's an issue with the game.

deoee

borked... lol

Game itself runs perfectly fine (despite some bugs, had to restart levels 2 times due to being stuck but I guess that's not the platforms fault)

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
"Borked" has the connotation of something being broken or busted, as opposed to a minor bug. I think a lot of people went into this thread thinking there would be major performance issues along the lines of the Switch ports of Overcooked and Mr. Shifty, regardless of "slightly" being used.

Slightly borked, though, and if it was at all serious then they'd probably use the word 'broken', 'busted', or even just straight up 'borked'.

Boh.

It's funny how people are trying to defend this because it doesn't effect game play. If it makes basic system functions like turning off the system not work, then yeah there's an issue with the game.

And this is my take as well. Strange to see people getting frustrated at others for waiting until this is fixed before they buy, haha.

Yeah, that would definitely be an issue if it were actually true.

And this is my take as well. Strange to see people getting frustrated at others for waiting until this is fixed before they buy, haha.

Because it's NOT TRUE. There is a slight DELAY when you press the home button or put the system in sleep mode (anywhere from around 3-10 seconds). That's it!

fetus8

You can still turn off the Switch, there's just a delay between pressing the button and the system going to Sleep.

I downloaded the game this morning on my switch and noticed a slight delay. This isn't gamebreaking nor OS level breaking...

BiggNife

Not defending it, it's an issue. But in practice all it means is that you have to press the power button two or three times instead of once. Some people in this thread seem to have the impression that the power/home buttons don't work at all in SM, but that's not the case. You just have to press them more than once. Absolutely annoying and a bug, but far from major.

Tumo

I just got the new green and pink joy-con and thought there was something wrong with the home button on them earlier when this happened to me. Then the power button didn't work and I was more worried as that is located on the console not the joy-con.

After a few presses of each I was able to exit the game. I don't recall exactly what I did, I think it is just a bit laggy registering the input.

Glad to know it's just a software issue that can be patched, strange one to slip through Q&A though.

Not defending it, it's an issue. But in practice all it means is that you have to press the power button two or three times instead of once. Some people in this thread seem to have the impression that the power/home buttons don't work at all in SM, but that's not the case. You just have to press them more than once. Absolutely annoying and a bug, but far from major.

To be fair, the way the article is written it certainly makes it sound like some people have been unable to get the capture, home or power buttons to work at all, which is apparently false. So the article seems very misleading in that respect, and it's understandable that people might be reading it and thinking this means the game actually breaks certain OS functions such that you can't use them at all.

I haven't had this problem undocked, but earlier I was playing with the Pro controller docked and the home button wouldn't work at all until I pressed +. At which point it "pressed" both home and +! And from then on the Home button was unresponsive, but the game was responding to other button presses.

So there aren't any cases where the buttons are totally unresponsive for an extended period of time?

That would be the only thing that would make me worry. As excited as I am for Sonic, I do want to be able to put my Switch into sleep mode or even swap to a round of Splatoon in between sessions.

Top Bottom