• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku UK: Sonic Mania on Switch is slightly borked

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
What? I just played handheld Mania during lunch and none of those things seemed to happen...

Metalmarc

Dont like the title of thread and it may put people off, can we have a different title mods like has a bug/glitch that will probably be patched later on

The home button works fine. So does the screenshot button.

Other than the fact that they take five goddamn seconds to respond apiece

I mean literally five whole seconds

MTC100

Banned
Home button works, Screenshot Button works:

DHSmL7pU0AAp_I4.jpg:large
DHSmDKrUIAAioPE.jpg:large

Russian Exploit works. 10 Euro for Mother Russia!

BriGuy

I don't see why the term "slightly borked" engenders such a hostile reaction here. It sounds like a minor issue and it's described as such. It's an easier headline to digest than "Sonic Mania on the Switch is super incredible, but some people (NOT ALL) are having minor issues (even if you can call them that) with the home and screenshot buttons that DO NOT IMPACT THE AWESOME SWITCH PORT IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY. GOD."

I don't see why the term "slightly borked" engenders such a hostile reaction here. It sounds like a minor issue and it's described as such. It's an easier headline to digest than "Sonic Mania on the Switch is super incredible, but some people (NOT ALL) are having minor issues (even if you can call them that) with the home and screenshot buttons that DO NOT IMPACT THE AWESOME SWITCH PORT IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY. GOD."

If it were just the headline, I wouldn't have much of an issue. The first two sentences of the article are what make the whole thing annoying for me.

"Sonic Mania is out, hooray! Unless you've got it on Switch, sadly."

There's better ways to inform people of these types of issues. One could easily read the opening and get the impression that the Switch version has serious problems.

Informing people about issues takes precedence over the hurt feelings from pointing them out to of fans of this version.

You can inform people in a more responsible way. It's not hard.

Is everyone ignoring the word "slightly" in the title or something? Jesus.

Informing people about issues takes precedence over the hurt feelings from pointing them out to of fans of this version.

Most people don't read beyond the headline.

Dremorak

Banned
yeah its really borked lol. ffs what a title.

I've already seen a few posts saying "I heard the switch version is fucked"

I noticed a weird bug on Switch (probably affecting the other platforms as well) where:

1) if you have your console set to one of the supported languages other than English (e.g. Spanish) and
2) you set the game to English from the options menu

You then go back to the title screen and the prompt to press a button to start playing will turn to the language you have the console set to after the 1st time it shows up. The rest of the game will still be in English.

/random

I've found that there's a bug where I get crushed between the moving platforms on Chemical Plant zone, even when they aren't actually close enough together to crush Sonic... has anyone else seen that?

Noticed this earlier.

Doesn't affect gameplay, so hardly see how you can call it borked though. A minor niggle, sure.

Its kotaku, another dumb clickbait article like they usually produce these days. Sadly they lost all of their reputation in the past 3 years and it seems to get only worse.

muteki

I've found that there's a bug where I get crushed between the moving platforms on Chemical Plant zone, even when they aren't actually close enough together to crush Sonic... has anyone else seen that?

How close? I remember being crushed if the distance was just Sonic's height in the old games. Happened in a few wierd spots.

So far I haven't experienced any of the in game problems, just noticed the home button taking a while to work on the Switch version.

How close? I remember being crushed if the distance was just Sonic's height in the old games. Happened in a few wierd spots.

So far I haven't experienced any of the in game problems, just noticed the home button taking a while to work on the Switch version.

it's a bit more than his height... happens in the bit where you're jumping up the moving platforms as the water rises. I get it by jumping on top of the lower platform while they're moving horizontally (not vertically)- so it's like it lets me in the gap, and then crushes me as the other one passes overhead. seems odd, because really he should get pushed sideways in that situation, not get crushed.

Perona

This happened to me. I held the button so long that eventually the quick menu popped up and then I couldn't get it to go away and had to completely turn off my switch (which took a while because the power button wasn't working correctly either.)

Definitely not borked. Just seems to interfere with the OS, there's a slight delay in suspending the game. But you know the OS is trying to do it normally because upon resuming you see the game for a split second at the point where you pressed home, before it jerks back to where it actually got suspended. Odd.

As for other bugs and issues, they don't seem to be specific to the Switch version of the game. The Ars Technica review noted a few bugs, and I found one myself yesterday: In chemical zone, if you're below the sets of four moving cubes and Tails is above, the cubes stop moving completely. So I got trapped near the entrance to the bonus stage. They wouldn't move out of the way.

Either way, I hope Tantalus is able to fix the issues with suspending the game.

It is just sluggish for me. I hit the power button or home button and it takes like 4 seconds to respond. Annoying, but they'll patch it out.

Protome

Definitely not borked. Just seems to interfere with the OS, there's a slight delay in suspending the game. But you know the OS is trying to do it normally because upon resuming you see the game for a split second at the point where you pressed home, before it jerks back to where it actually got suspended. Odd.

It's weird that so much of this thread has been people being overly defensive about the word "borked." It fucks with the OS in a way that breaks the home and power buttons in a minor and insignificant way but regardless they are broken. Definitely is "borked." Does it stop you playing the game or the game being awesome? No, not at all but that's not the point.

It is just sluggish for me. I hit the power button or home button and it takes like 4 seconds to respond. Annoying, but they'll patch it out.

I've had it just not respond at all sometimes which is even more annoying than the delay. I wonder what it's doing that even causes this.

The Switch version didn't seem to be part of the original plan, so I'm not surprised it has the most bugs creeping in. That being said, I played through the entire main game, and the only bugs I encountered personally were the Home and Screenshot lag (but they still worked), and some super-minor things like "2P Tails can get stuck if he airlifts Sonic to a specific place." I didn't notice any frame drops or anything. That's not to belittle the people having problems, but thankfully it's not across-the-board.

It is borked, I mean the home screen icon doesn't even have the game logo text on it, how will I even know it's a Sonic game?

Game ruined.

Top Bottom