• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku UK: Sonic Mania on Switch is slightly borked

So there aren't any cases where the buttons are totally unresponsive for an extended period of time?

No. When you want to put the Switch to sleep, it'll take around 10 seconds, instead of happening instantaneously. If you want to exit to the home menu, it usually takes a few seconds longer than normal.

No affect on gameplay and your system shouldn't freeze or anything of the sort.

No. When you want to put the Switch to sleep, it'll take around 10 seconds, instead of happening instantaneously. If you want to exit to the home menu, it usually takes a second or two longer than normal.

No affect on gameplay and your system shouldn't freeze or anything of the sort.

Phew. OK.

What a weird bug.

Timeaisis

OK, so exiting to the home menu is just a little laggy? Well, that's not a big deal. I don't really ever put the console to sleep with a game running, anyway.

Still, I hope they patch this soon.

Bluth54

How does something like that even pass Nintendo QA? Isn't testing for this sort of this the whole point of the QA the platform holders do?

Also, the delay for sleep mode only happens if you're in-game. If you exit to the home menu while the game is still running and then put the Switch to sleep, there's no delay.

How does something like that even pass Nintendo QA? Isn't testing for this sort of this the whole point of the QA the platform holders do?

Yeah, it's very odd. Seems crazy that Nintendo didn't catch it.

Danneee

How's this feel to play with the dpad buttons on the Joycon?

I was really sceptical of there but they work very well for games that dont use diagonals. Mighty Gunvolt Burst, Shovel Knight and Sonic all play great with the dpad, or left stick.

Top down shooters is pretty bad with the dpad and I wouldn't want to play a fighter with the joycons either.

Typical Kotaku with that garbage title.

They need them clicks. Switch talk is hot, so how else will Kotaku get so many hits? Didn't they jump the gun on the Arms has no legs article? Not providing any true tracking system and working with month old sales figures? They're a joke of a website.

Not quite related to the topic of the article, but I've experienced some weird bugs in the Switch version while playing Press Garden act 2. The first time I played it the game crashed and exited out to the HOME Menu, and the second time I had a glitch where the end-of-level fanfare played out of nowhere and then the music was silent for the rest of the level.

Not sure if these are unique to the Switch version, and they're not terrible or anything, but still annoying.

OmegaFax

The game doesn't properly detect the Pro Controller if the Joy-Con's still are attached in tabletop mode.

The system eventually locked up in combination with how long it takes to access the home menu after pressing it. The quick menu came up but the game was still accepting inputs. Had to do a hard reset.

NimbusD

Yeah noticed it this morning, for a sec I thought they disabled it or something. That's weird tho, shouldn't that stuff be reserved by the system and not able to be touched by the game? It's happened also with at least Minecraft for a hot sec.

Pokemaniac

Hmmm I can get by with the capture and home buttons not working, but the power button is a bit concerning. Is this happening to everyone or just some people?

I mean, all three of those buttons are mostly software. Sounds like the game is just taking way too long to handle whatever software interrupt those buttons send to it.

Griss

I've been playing the game for three hours in handheld mode and noticed none of these issues, so obviously not everyone is affected. I made a few captures and quit to the menu multiple times, no problems.

I'm sure it'll be fixed and it doesn't sound like a huge deal - the game itself runs like a dream, as you'd expect it to.

Borked was a poor word to use, as it basically means an object is 'totally fucked up' or unusable. Something can't really be 'slightly borked', and if it could, the capture button not working well would hardly count.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i found another GAMEBREAKING bug on the switch version.

Apparently on the lower pathway of greenhill with sonic there are spikes floating in the air
the screen doesn't properly lock to the bottom of those spikes.

KHaidiol.jpg

67b.jpg

not sure if i ever want to play this broken mess again

OmegaFax

So yeah ... either through a bug or oversight, the game doesn't properly handle the Pro Controller when you're playing in handheld/tabletop mode. You have to remove the Joy-Cons.

Rayman Legends and Splatoon 2 are two examples which handle this correctly. If you're playing with a Pro Controller and hit any button on your attached Joy-Cons, the game will immediately prioritize it as the primary input. The overlay graphics will also adjust accordingly.

If you're playing Rayman Legends, switch back and forth between Pro and attached Joy-Cons, the controller graphics in the pause menu will reflect whatever controller you're using. Same goes for tutorial graphics that show up while you're playing a game.

In Splatoon 2, the Amiibo touchpoint illustration shown when you try to activate an Amiibo will show the correct controller you used last without needing to reload the game or confirm inputs.

Apparently on the lower pathway of greenhill with sonic there are spikes floating in the air

KHaidiol.jpg

67b.jpg

Weird.

Is this exclusive to switch?

Why would you not be saying hurray if it doesn't affect gameplay in any meaningful way. Weirdly mixed messages between the article and headline. Much ado about nothing. New UK editor setting a low bar for future journalistic endeavours.

Meowtor

Gold Member
i picked it up this morning and played for a good hour or so - no issues with home or power button (undocked).

Royce McCutcheon

Lol, if this article has baited so many gaffers, imagine how the general public views it. Some expert click bait. Got people spouting all types of non sense.

PikkonX

Anyone have any insight into how this type of bug actually happens? I assumed games operated in their own sandbox, with no access to system level functions like power/screenshots/volume.

For me only the Home button doesn't respond all the time and if it does it takes its sweet time, on both docked and undocked mode.

I also had a bug in
Flying Battery
Zone where the music cuts off after invincibility runs out. Also the song used for invincibility in that stage is the stage theme instead of the invincibility theme. Don't know if that happens in PS4 and XBone too.
Didn't affect gameplay at all. It's just that there's no music playing until some other song is triggered (like getting a 1-Up).

Galang

Banned
Talk about overreacting.. that's a simple fix. They didn't have to make it sound like the game was unplayable from the title.. they're a mess for this!

Just experienced it myself and it's definitely noticeable. Borked, though? Not too sure about that, not even slightly. It doesn't impact the game itself.

Talk about overreacting.. that's a simple fix. They didn't have to make it sound like the game was unplayable from the title.. they're a mess for this!

What are you people smoking

Since when does slightly borked mean unplayable?

The headline says the game has a minor problem and it does. Good lord

FSLink

Banned

Because it doesn't seem to happen all the time. Sometimes it takes awhile and sometimes it's instant.

Shin-Ra

Affected system responsiveness is far more irritating for the end-user than Capcom leaving in a 'Licensed by Nintendo' message. This is actually the kind of thing platform QA would be checking for too.

Yes, initial release of Minecraft/Switch had an issue where the screenshot button randomly took screenshots in the game, without the user pressing the button.
🤔 well, that's a new one.

KHaidiol.jpg

67b.jpg

I saw this too but how is it gamebreaking again? It didn't hamper me in any way...

EDIT: I didn't even think it was a bug. I just thought it looked weird and continued playing.

Top Bottom