• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku UK: Sonic Mania on Switch is slightly borked

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
well I hit the issue jackpot :(

Screenshot button doesn't work, and pressing the home button brings up the holding home menu (with sleep /brightness settings) on the right of the screen.. But it won't go away! And then I can keep playing with it on screen.. And need to power down by holding the power button for 10 seconds :( all of this in docked mode.
I might give it a week or two before playing again, see if any patches help me.

"Borked" means broken.

Ah yes, the game is slightly entirely broken beyond repair.

The title was clickbait-y, there is no way to read 'bork' and think that it is only a minor easily fixable problem.

Borked does NOT mean broken in software / technology. Broken means broken. Borked has been used for years in development as a term to imply that there is an issue with the way the system runs.

Gasp! That sounds exactly like what is happening to the Switch (for some) home and screenshot buttons and such. Everyone is so defensive that they just assume it's purely clickbait, even though it's a common term in this sector.

Borked does NOT mean broken in software / technology. Broken means broken. Borked has been used for years in development as a term to imply that there is an issue with the way the system runs.

Gasp! That sounds exactly like what is happening to the Switch (for some) home and screenshot buttons and such. Everyone is so defensive that they just assume it's purely clickbait, even though it's a common term in this sector.

Borkes implies its a serious issue maybe not broken but something major, again the correct terminology would be niggle

Borkes implies its a serious issue maybe not broken but something major, again the correct terminology would be niggle
It does not. It is something I've heard (and used) for years in QA or development environments when something is acting up within the system OS caused by a memory leak or focus issue by the application.

Fired this up last night and played for about 45 minutes with no issues. Hopefully it stays that way and that a patch drops relatively soon so everyone can enjoy this. Most fun I've had with a Sonic game in a long time.

It's weird that so much of this thread has been people being overly defensive about the word "borked." It fucks with the OS in a way that breaks the home and power buttons in a minor and insignificant way but regardless they are broken. Definitely is "borked." Does it stop you playing the game or the game being awesome? No, not at all but that's not the point.

The thing is, it's in the headline, and the first thing you think about when you see it in a headline is the game rather than something external to the game itself.

Technically speaking you're right, I'm just approaching out of context

Same. The funny thing is if you hold the home button, the options for power pop up as usual.

Makes sense. The quick menu doesn't suspend the game, and it's the suspending of the game that seems to be causing the issues. So basically a delay on:

-Pressing the home button (suspends the game, loads home menu)
-Pressing the power button (suspends the game, puts Switch to sleep)
-Pressing "Sleep" from the quick menu (suspends the game, puts Switch to sleep. Quick menu loads normally).

It does not. It is something I've heard (and used) for years in QA or development environments when something is acting up within the system OS caused by a memory leak or focus issue by the application.

Maybe in development/qa environments, but to the averaged person it implies a major issue

So I pressed the home button and the quick menu came up but I couldn't interact with it and the game could still be controlled. I held the power button and the power menu came up but the same issue continued. I had to do a hard reset (which took me longer to figure out than I should) and ended up deleting the game because of that (I also wasn't enjoying it that much anyway).

Ranmo

Same. The funny thing is if you hold the home button, the options for power pop up as usual.

Yeah the menu popped up for me to enter sleep mode but it wasn't responsive. After toying with it a bit I found out that it is working but just lags a ton. It's weird, if you hit sleep (nothing happens) and then you back out and press a button it will finally go to sleep.

I found a work around that's simple. I just go to the Switch Home Menu and then put the device to sleep.

RowdyReverb

Huh, this is the first I've seen this. I don't think I've ever experienced anything unusual when pressing power to go to sleep. It just goes to sleep right away, even if I'm in the middle of a stage

NeonBlack

So I pressed the home button and the quick menu came up but I couldn't interact with it and the game could still be controlled. I held the power button and the power menu came up but the same issue continued. I had to do a hard reset (which took me longer to figure out than I should) and ended up deleting the game because of that (I also wasn't enjoying it that much anyway).

I had this happen with other games. It's not just a Mania issue.

Same thing happened to me. Had to turn the whole system off.

Top Bottom