• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE 311 review scores

Footos22

Finished knack 2 yesterday. The characters are still all horrible. Especially the doctor. He's a grade A twat.

The gameplay is fun and the hours fly by playing it though. Its also beautiful in places. The animation and physics are very good. Combat on very hard is super satisfying.

Shit story and unlikeable cast aside it is in no way less then a 7/10 especially in coop.

Still don't get why ppl put attention on this game like it's a AAA release though.

Marcel

Too low for Knack 2 from what I played and I only have one chapter left.

Edit: not surprised with Rabbids score. They gave every big Nintendo release on Switch at least a 9 including ARMS lol.

Prediction

Odyssey: 10
Xenoblade 2: 9

A Mario game getting excellent reviews? What a bold prediction.

EmiPrime

Memphis demo, combat info... More-less things they are repeating for like months now :D

Is there any new any info about new missions, side content, present day...

Not sure if it's new but the devs talk about how events aren't just spawned around the player or even near them. Big battles can take place away from you so if you stumble upon them too late there'll just be corpses. Emergent stuff that feels "organic".

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yakuza Kiwami: 8 "about as good as a videogame remake gets"

GFY60ME.gif

BigEmil

Edit: not surprised with Rabbids score. They gave every big Nintendo release on Switch at least a 9 including ARMS lol.

Prediction

Outside of Zelda BOTW: 10 from EDGE I can't think of anymore Nintendo game EDGE gave high rating

Splatoon 2 got a 8.

In what world is 8 considered a bad rating? That's really high also.

Especially with EDGE who fully uses full scale rating ...

Outside of Zelda BOTW: 10 from EDGE I can't think of anymore Nintendo game EDGE gave high rating

In what world is 8 considering a bad rating? That's really high also. Especially with EDGE
Not saying it's bad. Just pointing out it didn't get a 9 or higher like The poster was claiming.

random25

Prediction

To be fair Mario + Rabbids is an Ubisoft game.

Don't have the issue yet, but it wouldn't at all surprise me if the Sonic Mania review complained about the difficulty ("trial and error," "blind hazards"). The outlet seems ill-equipped right now to judge skill-based platforming (Ori is very difficult, apparently). I expect Cuphead to suffer a similar fate.

How did they judge Tropical Freeze, NSMB U, Super Meat Boy and Rayman Legends/Origins?

All fairly challenging games, also four of the best 2D platformers in recent years. I wouldn't write them off as a trustworthy source on a genre without knowing that.

There is nothing wrong with an Edge 7. That's a good score.

I know it's a good score and I certainly never implied there was anything "wrong" with it. And I expanded on my thoughts in a later post. I've got absolutely no beef with their opinion.

Edit - Apologies if this post comes off as aggressive in any way. Not my intention.

Majora

Yup, I'm aware - on average the game is rated higher.

Yes but what difference does that make to Edge's review? There will literally always be lots of reviewers who rate a game below the average because that's how an average works. Plenty of other reviewers rated Knack 2 below the Metacritic average because of this magical thing called mathematics, do we LOL at all those reviews too?

Indelible

Agents of Mayhem is to low, I agree that it is disappointing but it is still an above average game. The rest of the scores seem about right.

jariw

How did they judge Tropical Freeze, NSMB U, Super Meat Boy and Rayman Legends/Origins?

All fairly challenging games, also four of the best 2D platformers in recent years. I wouldn't write them off as a trustworthy source on a genre without knowing that.

Tropical Freeze - 7
Rayman Legends (for 360) - 9
NSMB U - 8
Super Meat Boy (for 360) - 8

Couldn't find any score for Rayman Origins.

black070

Yes but what difference does that make to Edge's review? There will literally always be lots of reviewers who rate a game below the average because that's how an average works. Plenty of other reviewers rated Knack 2 below the Metacritic average because of this magical thing called mathematics, do we LOL at all those reviews too?

That it's below the average ofcourse, if people want to come here and start blasting Knack 2 for being a 5 - a reminder that it is on average rating higher doesn't seem too unwarranted to me, though it appears the "lol" is what hit a nerve.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Wasn't expecting Matterfall to be so low. Shame. Though the lack of marketing probably sealed it. Next Machina got a lot more exposure.

Matterfall is low on replay value and the game mechanics arent as tight as Nex Machina. Theres no way it was gonna score higher.

If Tropical Freeze was an Edge 7, I would have felt a little weird about Knack 2 getting the same score (despite that being what I'd personally rate it). Tropical Freeze is easily a 9 or 9.5 for me.

MTC100

Banned
Sonic Mania only a 7, well that's harsh.

Knack 2, the 5 was to be expected, it's just a pretty bland game.

Mario+Rabbids
a 9 is great, the quote is even better, seems like I should get it at some point.

Yakuza Kiwami: the 8 is no surprise either, will check it out after finishing Zero.

Mario + Rabbids is gonna be 2017's sleeper hit. No one thought of it. No one wanted it. Then everyone did.
Seriously. I have no interest in a Switch as I only play on one console a generation for time and money but the E3 showing had me totally sold. Looks so good.

xrnzaaas

Pretty harsh for Matterfall, but I must admit it seems like the least interesting Housemarque game for me (haven't played it yet so my opinion may drastically change ;)).

traveler

Not Wario
Seriously, who thought Knack 2 was a good idea?
Uncharted and Mario+Rabbit get expected good scores... I still hate rabbits the ultimate obnoxious creature, though.

Who would have thought Mario + Rabbids would be a good idea, let alone with in an Xcom shell, yet here we are....

Rabbids the feel good story of the year?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Sonic Mania: 7

Ouch. Looks like it's not the return to form people expected...

Top Bottom