• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE 311 review scores

EmiPrime

Just came through the letterbox.

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle: 9 "if Odyssey is to be Mario's best game this year, it has a pretty high bar to clear. Now there's something we never imagined writing"
Lawbreakers: 8 "It's proof, among other things, that veteran design talent really does mean something - and that the shooters of the late '90s still have something to teach the modern games industry"
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy: 8 "a finely paced action game with a story to tell and no creeping sense that the needs of one are undermining the quality of the other"
Yakuza Kiwami: 8 "about as good as a videogame remake gets"
Knack 2: 5 "improves on its predecessor in just about ever department, which is to say it is merely flawed, rather than deeply so"
Nidhogg 2: 7 "Played as intended, however, in local multi-player, Nidhogg 2 sings"
Agents of Mayhem: 4 "imprisoned by its own lack of imagination"
Sonic Mania: 7 "faithful to a fault... This convincing comeback has been designed for the die-hards - and they haven't been this well served by a Sonic game for ages"
Matterfall: 5 "you'll quickly find yourself pining for another recent Housemarque release, Nex Machina"

Cover and special feature: Assassin's Creed Origins.
The Making of: Hyper Light Drifter

theaface

Missed out a few...

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle – 9
Lawbreakers – 8

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy – 8
Yakuza Kiwami – 8
Knack 2 – 5
Nidhogg 2 – 7
Agent of Mayhem – 4
Sonic Mania – 7
Matterfall – 5

A well deserved 9 for Mario + Rabbids. What a great game.

Sonic Mania at a 7 is a bit low, I think, but hey, opinions. I adore that game.

Junahu

I think I'll have to pick it up just to see what they have to say about Sonic Mania. I already love the game, but I'm hungry to see some actual reasoned criticism of it.

Constant unyielding praise for a game really gets under my skin for some reason, even if I agree with the praise.

Seriously, who thought Knack 2 was a good idea?
Uncharted and Mario+Rabbit get expected good scores... I still hate rabbits the ultimate obnoxious creature, though.

silva1991

Too low for Knack 2 from what I played and I only have one chapter left.

Edit: not surprised with Rabbids score. They gave every big Nintendo release on Switch at least a 9 including ARMS lol.

Prediction

Odyssey: 10
Xenoblade 2: 9

Zia

Don't have the issue yet, but it wouldn't at all surprise me if the Sonic Mania review complained about the difficulty ("trial and error," "blind hazards"). The outlet seems ill-equipped right now to judge skill-based platforming (Ori is very difficult, apparently). I expect Cuphead to suffer a similar fate.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Seriously, who thought Knack 2 was a good idea?
Uncharted and Mario+Rabbit get expected good scores... I still hate rabbits the ultimate obnoxious creature, though.

Arguably the only real fault with Knack 2 is the terrible character art. The game has real solid platforming challenges that are seemingly tuned perfectly for both young children and their parents to enjoy together in Co-op. Far moreso than the first Knack offered from bits I've played.

It's filling a niche hole the PS4(and Sony first party) largely ignores, but really needs a different branding to earn better credibility.

The conclusion (quote?) to the Edge [7] Sonic Mania review is a great reminder of why we still read Edge. Basically summarises everything you need to know about the game in just a single sentence, while also fitting the [7] verdict. Masterful.

Davey Cakes

A 7/10 for Mania seems fair considering that Edge "uses the whole scale." It's a great callback game but nothing that completely blows the mind. I'd bump it up to an 8 though.

On the Sonic scale it's a 10/10, at least.

A 7/10 for Mania seems fair considering that Edge "uses the whole scale." It's a great callback game but nothing that completely blows the mind. I'd bump it up to an 8 though.

I agree, especially after reading the review excerpt. A 7 is fair. I mean, it's fair regardless, because it's the opinion of the reviewer, but now I see where he or she is coming from.

Yeah, I'd call it a retro indulgence. Edge calling it faithful to a fault is what's really important there. Looking forward to reading the full review.

The Sonic Mania full review totally reads like a 7. And I agree with it. It's a great game, and does nostalgia very well, but doesn't do much more than please you with a well-deserved multi-hour nostalgia bomb.

Top Bottom