• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE 311 review scores

FiveSide

Banned
Ouch, that's a pretty damning score for Matterfall. Shame.

It's amazing how well Mario + Rabbids is reviewing. I'm not sure what's the bigger miracle, the fact that the game even exists, or that it's apparently a legitimately good game.

Rellik

I don't care about pointless review scores, but I did get the mag a few days ago and wanted to say that Assassin's Creed cover is beautiful.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
That's the opposite of what the review text says.

You expect them to actually read reviews?

Even a one sentence excerpt is too much for some it seems!

Quit.
You were never ahead.

That's all really funny and all, but a 7 is a 7.

And I took their explanation to mean that it was a return to doing things the genesis games did (such as getting rid of the all the shitty friends) but not an overall return to form.

edit: and wait

You expect them to actually read reviews?

What do you mean "them"? Are you suggesting I have some agenda against this game?

Lingitiz

Sonic Mania: 7

Ouch. Looks like it's not the return to form people expected...

I mean there a ton of reviews and impressions out there with people saying the opposite. One middling score from a respected publication doesn't automatically invalidate the general sentiment that it is indeed a great game and return to form.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
EDGE reviews have been kind of shit for the past few months. I don't agree with a lot of their recent reviews and scores.

JayCB

Lawbreakers: 8 "It's proof, among other things, that veteran design talent really does mean something - and that the shooters of the late '90s still have something to teach the modern games industry"

Oh, whoops, they put the player count where the score is supposed to go by mistake.

edit - dang it, Curufinwe pretty much beat me to it.

Toxi

Banned
edit: and wait

What do you mean "them"? Are you suggesting I have some agenda against this game?
No, I'm suggesting you're one of many people who thinks we need a hot take based purely on the number at the end of a written review.

brad-t

But numbers have meaning.

Sure, but it's not an objective meaning. For one thing, a 7 from one outlet isn't the same as a 7 from another. I think it's a respectable score coming from EDGE, who seem to use more of the numerical scale than other outlets. More importantly, what one outlet says about a game is hardly definitive.

Wamb0wneD

Knack 2 a 5 and Agents of Mayhem a 4? Ok.

I mean yeah? Pretty mediocre games.

Matterfall, Knack 2 and Sonic Mania are all atleast 2 points too low.
No clue on Matterfall, would give Sonic an 8, and Knack is right where it belongs.

I don't, but Knack 2 isn't a 5 for any human being with common sense.
How isn't it? Meh controls, a cliche ridden story with equally cliche ridden dialogue and derpy characters. Combat consists of what, 4 or 5 moves max?

It looks neat i guess.

Don't have the issue yet, but it wouldn't at all surprise me if the Sonic Mania review complained about the difficulty ("trial and error," "blind hazards"). The outlet seems ill-equipped right now to judge skill-based platforming (Ori is very difficult, apparently). I expect Cuphead to suffer a similar fate.
Blind hazards have nothing to do with difficulty though. When learning a level inside out to not run in these things is the only way circumventing them I'd harly call that skill based platforming.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The only score that matters then? Yes or no.

Of course not. But it's also one to take into account, no?

Everyone knows what you are though.

Whatever you say, brosef.

edit:

Sure, but it's not an objective meaning. For one thing, a 7 from one outlet isn't the same as a 7 from another. I think it's a respectable score coming from EDGE, who seem to use more of the numerical scale than other outlets. More importantly, what one outlet says about a game is hardly definitive.

Okay, this is fair.

EmiPrime

Everyone knows what you are though.

Yeah not worth the aggro of having to explain that someone can think a game is good (7) but not be as into it as fans of the old games and their design (who might give it a 8 or 9) over and over. It's tedious and it should have been obvious from the excerpt.

Arkeband

Banned
I'd agree with a 7 for Mania - just because it's the best Sonic game since Knuckles doesn't mean that it's overly long levels, terrible last level, subpar music and poorly explained unlock system shouldn't be held against it. It's still a great game, although firing up S3&K after it reminds one what perfection actually is.

kinggroin

Banned
Because again, we're in an Edge specific thread and there's no other scores posted here to compare it to?

No. It means your conclusion is fucking stupid and inflammatory.

Maybe next time try, "Guess Edge doesn't think as highly of it as everyone else"

Edit: fwiw, I agree with the 7

I'd agree with a 7 for Mania - just because it's the best Sonic game since Knuckles doesn't mean that it's overly long levels, terrible last level, subpar music and poorly explained unlock system shouldn't be held against it. It's still a great game, although firing up S3&K after it reminds one what perfection actually is.

Oh dear god!

EDIT: And it's funny that people feel the levels were too long. I feel Mania's biggest flaw is that some of the levels were criminally short.

PaulloDEC

How isn't it? Meh controls, a cliche ridden story with equally cliche ridden dialogue and derpy characters. Combat consists of what, 4 or 5 moves max?

It looks neat i guess.

Pretty much everyone I've seen talking about the game (with the exception being Jim Sterling) has had good things to say about the controls.

Moves include
punch, kick, multi-punch, charge-punch, jump-kick, bicycle-kick, body slam, hookshot, stun boomerang, charge-dash, dash-punch and dash-kick modifiers and more. In your Sunstone-overloaded form, there's also Sunstone swords, a shockwave body-slam and relic tornado attacks. Probably more I've not seen, too. Finally, different elemental Knacks (Ice, Iron, Metal) have different basic and charge attacks of their own.

Arkeband

Banned
Oh dear god!

EDIT: And it's funny that people feel the levels were too long. I feel Mania's biggest flaw is that some of the levels were criminally short.

Go back and play Chemical Plant Zone in Sonic 2, it's at least half as long, without some of the more sour sections. (one where you get stuck in a room with bouncy liquid and only one small non-obvious exit comes to mind).

Anyone who feels they were "criminally short" must really misremember the length of classic Sonic zones.

The best music in Mania is its remixed/reused tracks from S3&K, by a long shot.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Didn't expect much from Agents of Mayhem. it looks like a game to buy if its a 20 and under sale or steam summer sale for 5 bucks,

Go back and play Chemical Plant Zone in Sonic 2, it's at least half as long, without some of the more sour sections. (one where you get stuck in a room with bouncy liquid and only one small non-obvious exit comes to mind).

Anyone who feels they were "criminally short" must really misremember the length of classic Sonic zones.

Funny you say that. I replayed S3&K (my top 5 game off all time) before Mania's release and I was ready for half of those stages to end as soon as they began, so I felt they dragged on way longer than Mania's. Enjoyment has a lot to do with it and Mania is overall the best classic Sonic experience to me.

Different strokes though. I don't care what anyone says, Press Garden and Mirage Saloon Act 2 were way too short lol.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

tenorwnrqy.gif

You complain about overly long levels and then say S3&K is perfect?

That's a headscratcher of a statement if I ever saw one.

remz

Your posts are making me grind my teeth so fucking bad dude and I can't even put my finger on why

Top Bottom