• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE 311 review scores

I'm simply arguing the bolded:
What they're saying is a lot of reviewers and readers tend to apply US grading scheme to the scoring of reviews. So much so that less than 6 seem to be nonexistent and generate controversy if used. The general average of all scores on OpenCritic is between 70-74, not sure about Metacritic as I don't know if they make that public. The other user is saying, we know the average of all scores falls 70-74 and most US based reviewers and readers see that as the average, therefore for Edge their 5 is roughly equivalent to a score falling in the 70-74 range for other outlets as Edge tend to use 6 and below a lot more.

Caught your edit late.

black070

What they're saying is a lot of reviewers and readers tend to apply US grading scheme to the scoring of reviews. So much so that less than 6 seem to be nonexistent and generate controversy if used. The general average of all scores on OpenCritic is between 70-74, not sure about Metacritic as I don't know if they make that public. The other user is saying, we know the average of all scores falls 70-74 and most US based reviewers and readers see that as the average, therefore for Edge their 5 is roughly equivalent to a score falling in the 70-74 range for other outlets as Edge tend to use 6 and below a lot more.

Caught your edit late.

Yeah, that's fair enough - my bad. :p

jariw

Not sure I trust Switch reviews anymore. It seems like every major game is just rated too highly. I am sure it is a great game but better than most of what has come out in the past half year? I think it's time we went to 11 guys.

And then Sonic Mania what the fuck. These guys are lost in Nintendo's butt at this point.

Sonic Mania is available on Switch, and it might even well be the best selling version of the game.

Joffy

Neo Member
People getting annoyed about individual review scores never ceases to amaze me. From the games I've played on that list, these seem like very reasonable scores to dish out to all of them, and it's completely comprehendible to anyone but the most devout Sonic fan how Mania could get a 7.

I'd agree with a 7 for Mania - just because it's the best Sonic game since Knuckles doesn't mean that it's overly long levels, terrible last level, subpar music and poorly explained unlock system shouldn't be held against it. It's still a great game, although firing up S3&K after it reminds one what perfection actually is.

Subpar music?

WHAT?

Lots of tinfoil hats here. If anything Edge has a bias towards UK developed games but you could probably shoot that down as well when you compare historical data.

it's polished enough to pass for one
It has weird bugs where cloud shadows become static and rabbids don't show up in the background, not big or anything but that usually doesn't fly by Nintendo's qa. Great game though.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
'Nintendo bitches' lol.

Such a colorful vocabulary just to describe a dislike towards opinions of others that one disagrees with. Truly a level of fanboyism at its peak.

brad-t

Arms in no way deserves a 9, a score reserved for the very best the industry has to offer. Arms is a game no one will recognize in 5 years, a game no one will care about in 6 months. IMO obviously.

I personally kinda agree — I haven't really touched Arms since Splatoon and now Rabbids came out — but it's not that hard to believe that someone finds Arms innovative enough to be worth a 9. The whole point of having many media outlets covering games should be to encompass a wide variety of perspectives, not to hew as closely to the consensus as possible.

We are seriously implying that they gave sonic mania a 7 and a mario game a 9 simply to spite sega or because they are biased? The fuck? Its not the 90's anymore, its only a review score which you are welcome to agree or dissagree with, lets not be dramatic about it. Christ the amount of personal insult people take from video game review scores is ridiculous.

Toxi

Banned
How do you even define an "absurd score"?

I'd give plenty of beloved games (Uncharted 2, Wind Waker, God of War) a much lower score than the average and plenty of personal favorites a higher score. That doesn't make me wrong, it means I have opinions that don't match the majority on those matters.

Would I give Sonic Mania a 7 out of 10? No. But I'm not the one writing the review, so why does my opinion matter for it? I can't even read the review, so how can I even pass judgement based on a number and a blurb? And this would still apply even if it were a 1 or a 10.

Don't throw a hissy fit just because a number doesn't match the one you wanted.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Sure but the only thing conducive to a discussion is some elaboration beyond 'I disagree with these reviews, they're shit'. I read Edge every month and I haven't noticed any decrease in quality.

Disappointing you don't want to elaborate on why Edge reviews have been shit lately, so I can now dismiss your claim.

I'll need to get home and get out my edge magazines, I have a digital and print subscription but for some reason my digital subscription is still jacked up and won't show the newer magazine releases I paid for. A lot of times even if the written reviews are accurate, besides them sometimes scoring more difficult games lower for some reason, the score doesn't mesh with what they are saying or I just plain don't agree with the score. I say this knowing a score of 8 should be good for this industry, but these reviews

Persona 5: 8
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle: 9
Yakuza Kiwami: 8
Arms:9
Sonic Mania: 7

aren't how I would have scored them and I disagree with them. It's reductive when I say the reviews (especially pointing at the scores) are shit, but to me they are shittily scored when it comes to their critique. The magazine is still as well laid out and generally well written as it has ever been.

sheaaaa

I'll need to get home and get out my edge magazines, I have a digital and print subscription but for some reason my digital subscription is still jacked up and won't show the newer magazine releases I paid for. A lot of times even if the written reviews are accurate, besides them sometimes scoring more difficult games lower for some reason, the score doesn't mesh with what they are saying or I just plain don't agree with the score. I say this knowing a score of 8 should be good for this industry, but these reviews

Persona 5: 8
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle: 9
Yakuza Kiwami: 8
Arms:9
Sonic Mania: 7

aren't how I would have scored them and I disagree with them. It's reductive when I say the reviews (especially pointing at the scores) are shit, but to me they are shittily scored when it comes to their critique. The magazine is still as well laid out and generally well written as it has ever been.

The score not meshing with what they are saying is a fair criticism. From your list, off the top of my head I only remember reading their Arms review, and I didn't think the text failed to justify the score at all, and I thought it was a good review. Haven't read the rest.

But a lot of what you're saying still sounds like you just disagree with the score they've given games that you like. Like you say "I just plain don't agree with the score" but that doesn't mean a review is shit. A dissenting opinion to yours, well-written and presented, is a valuable thing. I'd love to read an Edge review giving Sonic Mania a 9, because the game was a solid 7 to me.

I guess I'm still not getting what you're saying here, especially what "shittily scored when it comes to their critique" means - it still very much sounds like you're calling their reviews shit because you disagree with their opinions.

Top Bottom