• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE 311 review scores

another edge thread that's a collision between those who understand the difference between linear and logarithmic review scales and those who don't.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see the issue, the Genesis Sonic games always felt like 8/10 games. 7/10 is around that ballpark. They never had the tightest gameplay and map design, but they were fun games nonetheless. That's what the score means to me and Mania lives up to the quality of those titles, not trying to outdo them but pay homage to them instead. IMO there were better side scrollers/platformers on Genesis.

RevenWolf

Sure but the only thing conducive to a discussion is some elaboration beyond 'I disagree with these reviews, they're shit'. I read Edge every month and I haven't noticed any decrease in quality.

Yup, unfortunately it's too common the go "x is shit/garbage" hyperbole.

My favourite comments are always the in depth thoughtful ones, it's basically why I like edge.

I find that the reviews generally do a great job of conveying what was felt when playing and the reasoning behind the score.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Or maybe Sonic Mania, despite being a faithful recreation, is just that - a recreation. Not worthy of lauded praise, but worthy of a congratulatory 'well done' for not screwing up a yet another Sonic game.

uh huh and what was arms?

Neith

Banned
Not sure I trust Switch reviews anymore. It seems like every major game is just rated too highly. I am sure it is a great game but better than most of what has come out in the past half year? I think it's time we went to 11 guys.

And then Sonic Mania what the fuck. These guys are lost in Nintendo's butt at this point.

Neith

Banned
Arms is a really neat 3D fighter imo so it deserves it, but that Tekken score could be higher tho indeed.

Arms in no way deserves a 9, a score reserved for the very best the industry has to offer. Arms is a game no one will recognize in 5 years, a game no one will care about in 6 months. IMO obviously.

Tekken is a better game than a 7. Or in reality the score system is broken. I HATE 1-10 scales where half the scale is basically nothing. So useless.

Neiteio

Arms in no way deserves a 9, a score reserved for the very best the industry has to offer. Arms is a game no one will recognize in 5 years, a game no one will care about in 6 months. IMO obviously.

Tekken is a better game than a 7. Or in reality the score system is broken. I HATE 1-10 scales where half the scale is basically nothing. So useless.
Edge is one of the publications that uses the full scale, though.

And ARMS is awesome. Super-addictive game. Looking forward to the 3.0 update.

Speely

Banned

Your opinion is that ARMS doesn't deserve a 9. Your prediction is that no one will recognize it in 5 years. One of these things will be verifiable.

Also, it's easily a 9, IMO obviously.

ARMS will probably be a 9 when all the postgame content comes out.
That's not an absurd score, there's hardly anything like it out there and it has that Mario Kart Team polish.

Fiendcode

First time I'm seeing claims of Nintendo bias for Edge. Especially funny regarding Sonic Mania, which might as well be a Nintendo franchise at this point. Looking forward to the inevitable sales thread shitshow on the Switch version outselling all others.

rockyt

Knack is a middle of the road game for me. Cool to pass the time but overall very bland and uninteresting characters.

black070

I played the demo and it felt worse than a 5.

The demo isn't representative of the game at all imo, it's an early section when you only have your basic moves and focuses entirely on combat when the game is a lot more platformer-oriented. It was a baffling decision on their part to make that section the demo.

Yukinari

Knack 2 is one of the most average games ive ever played and i didnt pay for it so im glad for that.

I dont wanna do the rest of the chapters unless im bored.

What are you talking about? Edge do use the full scale. 7 is a good score from them.

Not sure I trust Switch reviews anymore. It seems like every major game is just rated too highly. I am sure it is a great game but better than most of what has come out in the past half year? I think it's time we went to 11 guys.

And then Sonic Mania what the fuck. These guys are lost in Nintendo's butt at this point.
Oh I see.

I don't, but Knack 2 isn't a 5 for any human being with common sense.

Knack2 is an average game.

Knack2 has 70% on metacritics, that is an average score in most publications.

EDGE use the full score scale, so a 4-6 score is perfectly fitting and depends on the reviewer. A score lower than 4 or higher than 6 would be not appropriate.

hodgy100

That's all really funny and all, but a 7 is a 7.

And I took their explanation to mean that it was a return to doing things the genesis games did (such as getting rid of the all the shitty friends) but not an overall return to form.

edit: and wait

What do you mean "them"? Are you suggesting I have some agenda against this game?

7/10 is a solid score from edge.

black070

9 for Rabbids.
Ok I'm going to have to buy it sooner than I expected.

You should, its great !

EDGE use the full score scale, so a 4-6 score is perfectly fitting and depends on the reviewer. A score lower than 4 or higher than 6 would be not appropriate.

The Metacritic aggregate is 70 i.e. 7/10, so the bolded makes no sense. It would have had to gotten more 7+ scores to get that aggregate.

JonCha

A 7/10 for Mania seems fair considering that Edge "uses the whole scale." It's a great callback game but nothing that completely blows the mind. I'd bump it up to an 8 though.

On the Sonic scale it's a 10/10, at least.

Yeah, I think if they're able to do another one and not have to reference the older games then we'll get a better idea of what they're capable of doing.

Mr. Sam

Edge don't really use the whole scale, they just use 5 and 6, whereas most will drop to a 7 for a game they hate with particular intensity.

sanstesy

Edge really likes nintendo

Not really. It is known Edge are Nintendo's bitches

👏

Wow so mad about people's genuine enjoyment and enthusiasm of video games. Isn't there a possibility that this person played Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, really enjoyed it and then gave it a review reflecting such?

I only played the first level of Knack 2 but I am enjoying it well enough. I think it works if you are someone who doesn't have much time as they used to play games and gives you some quick, enjoyable gratification.

black070

I'm not quite sure what you're arguing. Is someone not supposed to score it lower than the metacritic average?

I'm simply arguing the bolded:

EDIT
But now I'm starting to see what was meant - whoops !

Top Bottom