• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Earthbound

Since we'll probably never see it on VC, Wii U or on a DS compilation due to all the pop song related content that scared NOA's lawyers which NCL refused to change, I just bought a mint Earthbound cartridge off eBay with a near mint copy of the player's guide (new scratch and sniff stickers included). Cost me 350.00. I could've gotten one with a box but didn't feel like paying upwards of 200.00 more for cardboard and paper. Been wanting to play this one for awhile and have been putting it off since its release when I was a teenager (sure wish I'd gotten it then, first I heard of it was the volume 74 Donkey Kong Land issue of Nintendo power with the scratch and sniff stickers, I may still have it somewhere at my parent's house) and have been following the madness for a few years now. So, I hear this game is really fun and has some unforgettable characters and story. It'll be a week or so before I get it, so what kind of treat am I in for? (no major spoilers please)

linko9

This game has my favorite soundtrack of any game. The game itself is also awesome, though I don't know if it would even crack my top 10 on SNES. I think Mother 3 is overall a better game, but unfortunately the soundtrack doesn't even come close to the greatness of Earthbound.

Tried to get into it a while back after enjoying Mother 3, but I just couldn't. Funny game, but it was way too difficult for me and I found myself grinding a lot more often than I'd have liked to.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Savour it. Play through a section (they'll be pretty obvious since you go from locale to locale), read the guide, talk to the NPC's. It's a globetrotting adventure, so take your time and soak it all in.

Tried to get into it a while back after enjoying Mother 3, but I just couldn't. Funny game, but it was way too difficult for me and I found myself grinding a lot more often than I'd have liked to.

Yeah, this is an old game so it has that 90s difficulty. Still, it doesn't require too much grinding, if any, nothing DQ level at least.
To OP, Earthbound is one of the best jRPGs of all time, IMO.

Junie12

Your in for one hell of a ride OP! One of my favorite JRPG's! Also be prepared to grind. A lot.

At least that's what I did to pass the game...

I played it when I was very young so I don't know how difficult it is now.

But I did pass it when I was 10 so it shouldn't be too hard :lol

Thanks for the replies so far, guys. I promise I'll savour it, Bork. :) So when can I expect to join Starmen and disappear from society? :p But seriously, another one of the reasons I bought it was because it has heavy sci-fi themes (albeit humorous) kinda like Chrono Trigger (my all time fave RPG).

It is my favorite game ever and I played it for the first time five years ago.

If one game can truly be called underrated--this is it. Soundtrack is awesome. Writing is awesome. Mu Training is awesome. Last boss is awesome. But it seems like it will forever be in the shadows of its 90s JRPG SNES brethren, Chrono Trigger and FFVI--mostly do to, I reckon, NoA refusing to acknowledge that the Mother series exists.

As much as I love it though, I am pretty shocked you'd drop $350 for a game you haven't played yet.

IrishNinja

that really is a shame, but i guess i can't be too mad. i used to replay this one a lot in the day but it's hard to do so now, the grinding/engine is charming but it can get tedious. i was always appreciative of the insta-kills youd get to save time when something vastly underpowered approached you.

i likewise tried to get into Mother 0 a while back and felt the same way, even with the patch.

As much as I love it though, I am pretty shocked you'd drop $350 for a game you haven't played yet.

I've been collecting spendy import games for years so while I may be eating a bit more ramen for the next few months, I'm fine with it. I trust the game's excellent rep but if for any reason I don't like it (not likely) I can always resell it since both the cartridge and the guide are obviously only going to go up in value.

Codeblue

I have an incredibly hard time trying to describe why I love Earthbound.

Earthbound has a ridiculous, witty, well written coat of paint, but everything under that is designed to express certain themes and endear itself to you, and it totally nails it.

I don't want to say too much since you haven't played it, but I will say that I didn't care for the gameplay, but it's one of two games that have ever succeeded in getting an emotional response from me. Hope you enjoy it.

that really is a shame, but i guess i can't be too mad. i used to replay this one a lot in the day but it's hard to do so now, the grinding/engine is charming but it can get tedious. i was always appreciative of the insta-kills youd get to save time when something vastly underpowered approached you.

i likewise tried to get into Mother 0 a while back and felt the same way, even with the patch.

I liked that a lot. More games need to use that mechanic.

I've been collecting spendy import games for years so while I may be eating a bit more ramen for the next few months, I'm fine with it. I trust the game's excellent rep but if for any reason I don't like it (not likely) I can always resell it since both the cartridge and the guide are obviously only going to go up in value.

Haha, yeah I guess if you're into collecting pricy games it must not be such big deal. God knows I spend money in...impractical ways sometimes.

Enjoy the game!

I have an incredibly hard time trying to describe why I love Earthbound.

Earthbound has a ridiculous, witty, well written coat of paint, but everything under that is designed to express certain themes and endear itself to you, and it totally nails it.

I don't want to say too much since you haven't played it, but I will say that I didn't care for the gameplay, but it's one of two games that have ever succeeded in getting an emotional response from me. Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks, I love games with emotional themes and I've heard this has plenty.

Chojin

Siince we'll probably never see it on VC, Wii U or on a DS compilation due to all the pop song related content that scared NOA's lawyers which NCL refused to change, I just bought a mint Earthbound cartridge off eBay with a near mint copy of the player's guide (new scratch and sniff stickers included). Cost me 350.00. I could've gotten one with a box but didn't feel like paying upwards of 200.00 more for cardboard and paper. Been wanting to play this one for awhile and have been putting it off since its release when I was a teenager (sure wish I'd gotten it then, first I heard of it was the volume 74 Donkey Kong Land issue of Nintendo power with the scratch and sniff stickers, I may still have it somewhere at my parent's house) and have been following the madness for a few years now. So, I hear this game is really fun and has some unforgettable characters and story. It'll be a week or so before I get it, so what kind of treat am I in for? (no major spoilers please)

Holy Christ Earthbound sells for that much? I should go back to my folks house and look into the closet.

I don't think I'd ever give up my copy though. Still and probably always will be my favorite game of all time.

The game's charm and entertainment is the the world. It's still original in concept all these years rather than in game mechanics, its pretty much a DQ clone. Don't expect super battle system EX or whatever, but a really, really enjoyable and quirky story with excellent music. The humor can be a bit "off" for a lot of people but its really the whole atmosphere the game gives. Plus the ending theme is so full of yay it still puts a lump in my throat.

RawPower

Banned
Siince we'll probably never see it on VC, Wii U or on a DS compilation due to all the pop song related content that scared NOA's lawyers which NCL refused to change, I just bought a mint Earthbound cartridge off eBay with a near mint copy of the player's guide (new scratch and sniff stickers included). Cost me 350.00. I could've gotten one with a box but didn't feel like paying upwards of 200.00 more for cardboard and paper. Been wanting to play this one for awhile and have been putting it off since its release when I was a teenager (sure wish I'd gotten it then, first I heard of it was the volume 74 Donkey Kong Land issue of Nintendo power with the scratch and sniff stickers, I may still have it somewhere at my parent's house) and have been following the madness for a few years now. So, I hear this game is really fun and has some unforgettable characters and story. It'll be a week or so before I get it, so what kind of treat am I in for? (no major spoilers please)

It drags at the beginning, but once it picks up it's the best ride you'll ever have. Mark my words.

Teknoman

Thanks for the replies so far, guys. I promise I'll savour it, Bork. :) So when can I expect to join Starmen and disappear from society? :p But seriously, another one of the reasons I bought it was because it has heavy sci-fi themes (albeit humorous) kinda like Chrono Trigger (my all time fave RPG).

Wait till you see/hear the final area.

Rich!

Superb game, but mother 3 is far better IMO.

Do yourself a favour and move straight on to Mother 3 after you finish Earthbound. The story follows on, and Mother 3 has much more balanced gameplay too. Oh and the translation is the best I've ever seen come out of the hacking scene.

You'd regret it if you missed out on Mother 3, anyhow. Incredible game.

Tenck

You're in for the treat of your life. And I am not kidding. Earthbound has such great writing. It has some funny characters, and talking to all the NPCs is also fun. Only thing that frustrated me was that one of my party members was severely under-leveled because I left the second town without looking at stats.

Do not make that mistake. It will make you want to gauge at your eyeballs because the third town is a pain in the ass.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wish I could afford it (actually I can but don't want).
It's incredibly expensive.

I remember buying the game for $50 back in 2005, though it has no box. How much is the game worth now anyway?

Celine

I remember buying the game for $50 back in 2005, though it has no box. How much is the game worth now anyway?
$50 is a great (read low) price.

Recently I started monitoring ebay for US Earthbound but teven the cartridge-only have a price tag of 80-90 euro or more.

What if the save battery dies before you can finish it? My donkey kong country I had since I was 7 just gave out on me.
Better question.
What if you have bought a pirated copy ? Deehehe Earthbound copy-protection.

You're in for the treat of your life. And I am not kidding. Earthbound has such great writing. It has some funny characters, and talking to all the NPCs is also fun. Only thing that frustrated me was that one of my party members was severely under-leveled because I left the second town without looking at stats.

Do not make that mistake. It will make you want to gauge at your eyeballs because the third town is a pain in the ass.

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely remember that and if anyone else has other gameplay tips feel free to let me know.

Of course I'll need to look into Mother 3 after this as well, love the art style these games have.

It's the first person to join your party too, hopefully that helps.

It definitely does, thanks. Outside of Chrono Trigger I've played very few turn based RPGs and since this one requires grinding I'll need all the help I can get.

I feel like I'm one of the only people who doesn't enjoy the Mother series, I don't find them very funny and way too grind heavy. Their are some really awesome moments/characters and on paper everything sounds great, but it just doesn't click with me.

I will say that Earthbound's final boss is one of the most thought provoking final bosses ever, disturbing and awesome.

Tenck

Yeah the grinding was a bit too much, but easily forgettable when you're enjoying all the craziness.

Only real complaint I had with the game.

Schnei871

Great atmosphere, characters, music and bosses. I think the fact that the game advertised with smelly stickers of bosses pretty much sums up the kind of game it is. Like nothing else and amazing for it

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Do yourself a favor and read about nothing. Assuming you haven't already spoiled any of the game for yourself, the journey and discovery make Earthbound one of the most incredible gaming experiences you'll ever have.

For what it's worth, besides being my favorite game, it's the only RPG I can replay and enjoy over and over again.

Yeah, that's about when and for how much I got my copy, too. No box. I used to rent it all the time when I was a kid, though; I just never had my own copy until later.

As many have said, Earthbound is absolutely wonderful; it's easily my all-time favorite RPG.

I don't remember having to grind much at all, though. Maybe for the secret weapons, but I don't think that's what people are talking about. Oh well. Maybe it's just that I've played through it so many times that it all seems like old hat.

Tadale

I sold my copy for maybe like $40 when I was in high school in like 2002, thinking that I could easily pick up a more complete copy down the road when I had a bit more money. I had no clue that it would be as crazy as it is nowadays.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Thanks for the advice, I will definitely remember that and if anyone else has other gameplay tips feel free to let me know.

The Freeze spells in this game are really helpful, and will save your ass a number of times in boss fights (since they both do damage and occasionally freeze the enemies).

Aeana

I hope you enjoy it. It really is a very special game.

As for tips, um... buy teddy bears, they're pretty cool. They can take hits for you in battle. Oh yeah, and don't bother with slingshots or yoyos, because their accuracy is super crappy.

Ultratech

As for tips, um... buy teddy bears, they're pretty cool. They can take hits for you in battle.

Yup, a full army of Teddy Bears for the last dungeon helps a lot.

Slingshots and Yo-Yos are kinda iffy, since their error ratio is like 3/16. Casey Bat is crazy strong, but only hits 1/4 of the time.

I remember killing quite a few Starman Supers for Poo's only weapon.

Aeana

Slingshots and yoyos also can't smash. The main pro to them is that they don't turn enemies who are "feeling strange" back to normal. I just avoid them, personally.

Aeana

Great game. Overall I liked Mother 3 more but it's still in my JRPG top 5 easily.

Still have to finish Mother 1 :x

Tomato's retranslation patch for the GBA version of Mother 1 that adds the easy ring is pretty great. It boosts experience gain but lowers the encounter rate, feels much better. And his translation is much better too.

Top Bottom