• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Earthbound

DJIzana

The fact that EarthBound even exists makes me a better person.

Totally...

This is the game that got me into RPG's to begin with. The quirkiness and how it doesn't take itself so seriously is truly amazing and yeah... I also really enjoy the music the game offers.

the fan made game being made looks amazing

http://mother4.andonuts.net/

leoleo.png

belshot.png

merylsplace.png

I would totally pay over 30 bucks for this. I get a hard-on for anything pixel art.

I'm only half joking about the boner thing.

You made this thread back in April, are you just now getting around to getting through EarthBound?

Yes. Because of a shipping delay from the dealer I got it from I didn't get it until May. Then about a week after I had it my brothers in law accidentally erased my file (before Happy Valley) and I had to start over. I played up to Fourside then got distracted by summer vacation stuff, then as said before, in Fall I got back into my Sega Saturn collection and then from Nov-Dec Wii U games. I'm not stopping now though. :)

antitrop

Yes. Because of a shipping delay from the dealer I got it from I didn't get it until May. Then about a week after I had it my brothers in law accidentally erased my file (before Happy Valley) and I had to start over. I played up to Fourson then got distracted by summer vacation stuff, then as said before, in Fall I got back into my Sega Saturn collection and then from Nov-Dec Wii U games. I'm not stopping now though. :)
You have no idea how jealous I am.

The first time I played EarthBound was about 16 years ago. I would give quite a bit to have that experiences again. The first time I played through EarthBound was like the first time I had sex, or the first time I got high, if either of those lasted several weeks.

IceCold

Regarding Mother 3 content that would potentially have to be adjusted, I read there was a character in the game that supposedly seemed to mock Muslims a bit or was that subjective/exaggerated?

I assume you are talking about this guy:

He does look like an Arab but I don't remember seeing anything offensive about Arabs or Muslims in the game. In fact, if I recall correctly, there's no mention in the game of where he's from or what his ethnicity is. He's a cruel mofo though.

He does look like an Arab but I don't remember seeing anything offensive about Arabs or Muslims in the game. In fact, if I recall correctly, there's no mention in the game of where he's from or what his ethnicity is. He's a cruel mofo though.

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification. Just a typical "classic desert villian archetype" I guess.

demidar

Well the game does tell the player where he comes from, just not explicitly, it was presented off-hand (which is completely intentional).

solarus

This game is so close to my heart. Man I fucking love the Mother series, forget my backlog, this thread's compelled me to have a marathon through them again. Really excited about whatever potential Mother announcement Itoi has, even if it isn't Mother 4. I'd love a remake of the first Mother, I don't think I could take it if they decide not to give it a western release though :(

Kouriozan

Nintendo have never, ever been bothered by fan games and rom hacks.

If its being sold for a profit though, theyll shut it down.

But Super Mario Bros. X was shut down by Nintendo (then the guy made Terraria)

Here
"On April 17, 2011, Redigit (Andrew Spinks) commented on his YouTube page that he received a call from Nintendo's lawyers asking him to remove Super Mario Bros. X from SuperMarioBrothers.org and delete all SMBX videos from his Youtube account. They also asked him to transfer SuperMarioBrothers.org over to Nintendo.[citation needed] He complied with their first two wishes, but did not want to lose SuperMarioBrothers.org. He said, "It is a good Mario fansite, even without Super Mario Bros. X." Nintendo was going to decide on that and get back to him. Redigit has asked that no one post copies of Super Mario Bros. X on the internet, as it goes against Nintendo's wishes and might make things more complicated for him."

Playing the game again this week, decided to play with Psi-teleport a bit and that kinda randomly brought me to the underground area in the Dinosaur Museum. Is there any way to prevent getting stuck with a ghost? Jeff seems to have one after every ghost battle. And this came in the mail today, he'll look good next to my Ness and Jeff:

FFED7E7F-42BB-44EB-9F66-3E2FBB253E07-1180-00000168A4157FB3.jpg

EEF0ACA6-4E9D-4D68-8122-716B30C9BD56-1180-00000168B850B497.jpg

TreIII

Anyone know? I hate having to go back to the hospital.

There's really nothing you can do to stop a ghost from possessing you. About the only thing you can do otherwise is either a) stick it out or b) wait for an attack that will hit the entire party (a la PK Fire), which will usually get rid of the Lil Ghost.

Zing

Banned
I bought this game from a gaf user two summers ago. I was ready for (insert hyperbole here). End result? About halfway through the game, I couldn't take it any longer. It bored me to tears. The combat is so slow and not exciting in the least. When I wasn't being one-shotted randomly, I was wiping everything out with ease by simoly spamming the psi attack.

The item management is ridiculous. There is this extremely cool mechanic where you find junk and repair it into usable items. The problem is that the items are extremely limited use, and you can only carry a few at a time due to arbitrarily minute backpack space. This means the vast majority of the cool items collect dust.

Those two things broke the game for me. I enjoyed the rest of it. The game design is actually very similar to Dragon Warrior, one of my all-time favourites, so I expected to love this game. I really like that sort of game design, but the battles were too similar to the overly long and arbitrary battles of Dragon Warrior II, and the item management ruined a major part of the game.

Nekofrog

Banned
I bought this game from a gaf user two summers ago. I was ready for (insert hyperbole here). End result? About halfway through the game, I couldn't take it any longer. It bored me to tears. The combat is so slow and not exciting in the least. When I wasn't being one-shotted randomly, I was wiping everything out with ease by simoly spamming the psi attack.

The item management is ridiculous. There is this extremely cool mechanic where you find junk and repair it into usable items. The problem is that the items are extremely limited use, and you can only carry a few at a time due to arbitrarily minute backpack space. This means the vast majority of the cool items collect dust.

Those two things broke the game for me. I enjoyed the rest of it. The game design is actually very similar to Dragon Warrior, one of my all-time favourites, so I expected to love this game. I really like that sort of game design, but the battles were too similar to the overly long and arbitrary battles of Dragon Warrior II, and the item management ruined a major part of the game.

huh.

so opinions CAN be wrong. didn't know that

B97CF4A4-C36C-43EA-AC53-E43F16206896-1270-000001259E108A44_zpsdf4ee1e1.jpg

On 4/05/2013 I finally beat the game (would've done it sooner if not for a combination of a kinda crazy year plus getting absorbed in the Wii U launch and finishing some other games in my backlog), almost a full year from the date I made this thread and about two weeks before it was announced it was finally being re-released on the U.S. VC.

Which is even more ironic since the very first words I posted when I made the thread were: "Since we'll probably never see it on VC..."

It was an amazing experience that I slowly savored every moment of and was worth every penny. I'm definitely keeping my cart and (even moreso) the player's guide and will be buying it on VC day one. Maybe this time I'll get the Sword of Kings (I beat Stonehenge base on my first try without realizing thats where it was) and also missed out on the Gaia beam (I had the broken antenna but Jeff's IQ was too low to fix it). Fighting through Itoi's insanely charming sci-fi world will be even more fun in bed. Well, hope everyone enjoyed this thread!

MisterHero

I'm so on board with playing EarthBound over and over again.

Grinding Stonehenge for the Sword of Kings and the Sea of Eden for the Gutsy Bat is destined to kill me though!

SS4Rob

I'm another one of those LTTP: Earthbound guys with a quick question, no spoilers: I just picked up the second character who starts at level 1, while I am currently level 26 - what should I raise this character's level to before I leave the area they were found (they are 10 right now)?

And yeah, my adult self is cursing my childhood self for passing on this one, heh.

katkombat

Banned
Wow. I remember reading this thread when I was a lurker!

Earthbound is probably my second favorite RPG ever. My favorite? Mother 3.
man I need to buy these games...

Playing through this fantastic game again because I figured out the save on my cart is not completely broken. Last time I played through was about two years back and I had gotten the furthest I had ever gotten
(I got past getting Poo)
when I turned on my game, it did some trippy static swirls, and all my save files were erased.

I may give up on life if it happens again.

But that aside, this game is SO FUCKING GOOD. I remember attempting to make my first ebay purchase ever when I was about 10 or 11 and when my Mom refused to use Ebay. I sent some guy an envelope full of around $60 - problem was, I only had a shitload of ones and fives, so the envelope never made it. I remember being so incredibly bummed because I thought the dude scammed me, but about a month later the letter came back totally damaged but with all the money in it. $60 back then was worth the world.

Top Bottom