• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Earthbound

Tadale

I love the weapon roster so far, haha.

Another question, what kind of extras if any does the game have? Bonuses, any branching paths, ect or is it pretty linear?

There are a few of places where you could skip dungeons and come back to them later, but for the most part it's a majorly linear game.

Tadale

I'm about to tuck into this too. Are there any permanent missables?

Don't think so, at least nothing to get worked up about. Most notably there are random drops for the most powerful weapons/items in the game (1 in 128 chance to drop, I think), but none of them are necessary to finish the game at all.

Chopper

Don't think so, at least nothing to get worked up about. Most notably there are random drops for the most powerful weapons/items in the game (1 in 128 chance to drop, I think), but none of them are necessary to finish the game at all.
Cool. Is it worth looking at a guide, or shall I just crack on?

Tadale

I would just dive right in. Some parts can be a bit obtuse about what you might need to do next, but the game has a great hint system, where you visit a 'hint booth' and pay for tips.

I'm about to tuck into this too. Are there any permanent missables?
Yes.

In Stonehenge, there are enemies called Starman Super. They have a 1/128 chance of dropping Poo's only weapon, the Sword of Kings. Don't defeat Starman DX at the end of Stonehenge until you've gotten that weapon; after Starman DX is defeated, there are no longer enemies in Stonehenge.

That's the only one I can think of that you can't go back for later.

Edit: I take that back. I thought of one more.

After traveling to the final area of the game, you can't go back to any previous area, so technically everything prior to that final area is "missable" in that regard.

It was interesting for its time. Mother 3 is way better.
I agree that Mother 3 is probably a better game and story overall, but the thing is, I doubt I would appreciate Mother 3 as much had I never played through Earthbound.

SOME-MIST

there's a way to play it as a wiiware title..

regardless, it's still a game I haven't played either, but I plan on doing so once I finally beat xenoblade. every forum I participate on, I hear nothing but good things about earthbound.

Codeblue

It was interesting for its time. Mother 3 is way better.

With respect to gameplay? Sure.

Otherwise, I didn't think so. That's a conversation for a different thread though.

Also Mother 3 got rid of autopilot battles, which is something I used a lot in Earthbound.

b3b0p

Tried to get into it a while back after enjoying Mother 3, but I just couldn't. Funny game, but it was way too difficult for me and I found myself grinding a lot more often than I'd have liked to.

It's only difficult for the first couple towns. Once you get past a certain point, it's not bad at all and much less so.

entremet

I think I've beat this game 3 times, which I rarely do for RPGs. I love it so much. Too bad I can't play it legitimately without a SNES, which I don't have anymore.

Aeana

With respect to gameplay? Sure.

Otherwise, I didn't think so. That's a conversation for a different thread though.

Also Mother 3 got rid of autopilot battles, which is something I used a lot in Earthbound.
I personally feel like if you're using autobattle then the battles are wayy too easy.
Not that Mother 3 is all that difficult, but I like that the rhythm system at least keeps you totally engaged.

ghibli99

Wonderful game. Just go in with no expectations and let it do its thing. Afterwards, you'll probably find yourself on Fangamer and eBay buying all sorts of EB stuff. :)

Codeblue

When I played Earthbound I totally couldn't stand turnbased systems for whatever reason, so I felt like that was a cool way to help someone like kid me get through it.

Now it just helps me smooth over everytime I need to grind, which isn't all that much when you know that a certain enemy is a gold mine of experience.

I do agree though now that I think about it, Mother 3 doesn't really need it. The battle system is fun and you never really have to grind.

The Hermit

The final boss was one the most memorable things in gamming for me... As well as the rest of the game.

Man I wish I could replay it :(

Davey Cakes

Teddy Bears are useful, but the only time I'd really recommend them strongly in when you get Paula. To help with leveling.

Earthbound is one of my favorite games of all time. It really shaped my appreciation for games during the 90s, and will be forever one of the most memorable experiences in gaming that I've ever had. I agree with those who say to "soak it in," because this gaming is full of nice little details and touches that make it above average. Read signs, talk to NPCs, and in general take your time exploring every area and going into ever house. Unlike many RPGs, Earthbound is filled to the brim with unique personality.

The battle system is mostly a copy of Dragon Quest, but is actually better because of rolling HP bars, battle animations, varied battle text, and the ability to one-shot weak enemies if they approach you (or you approach them) outside of battle.

The final boss and the ending sequence in general are ace, too.

Aeana

Teddy Bears are useful, but the only time I'd really recommend them strongly in when you get Paula. To help with leveling.

Earthbound is one of my favorite games of all time. It really shaped my appreciation for games during the 90s, and will be forever one of the most memorable experiences in gaming that I've ever had. I agree with those who say to "soak it in," because this gaming is full of nice little details and touches that make it above average. Read signs, talk to NPCs, and in general take your time exploring every area and going into ever house. Unlike many RPGs, Earthbound is filled to the brim with unique personality.

The battle system is mostly a copy of Dragon Quest, but is actually better because of rolling HP bars, battle animations, varied battle text, and the ability to one-shot weak enemies if they approach you (or you approach them) outside of battle.

The final boss and the ending sequence in general are ace, too.

Battle animations?
I don't think Earthbound has any more animations in battle than the SNES DQ games.

The music is great and always nostalgia's the hell out of me. I haven't replayed the game in years but one of these days I will. My mom threw out the oversized box not knowing its value, but hey at least I still have the game.

-KRS-

Wow, this game is getting more and more expensive with each year. I'm so glad I bought it when I did now. Not mint or anything, but I'm just happy that I own a copy of it. It really is one of the greatest RPGs ever. The first time I played it I didn't get into it because I didn't like the fighting system. But after I bought it and played it more I realized that the fighting was not what this game was about. That's not what's so great about this game. It's the atmosphere, the story, the characters, the setting and the music that makes it memorable. I'd also say the graphics are very memorable as well. They have a unique and charming style. The fighting mechanics can be satisfying though. I remember after playing it for around 5 hours the first time after I bought it, I thought: "This could very well be the best SNES game ever released" and as I kept playing, that feeling just intensified.

Davey Cakes

Oh yeah, definitely. I'd probably put it in the top 5 SNES games.

My brother and I bought this at Funcoland, along with Yoshi's Island. Talk about a one-two punch.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Amazing RPG, even after all these year it still feels fresh as hell, very rare for a classic RPG

Nekofrog

Banned
It's very risky but finding a "new" great game is generally better then rebuying what you've already played.

$350 is sure alot though (for me).

Not to mention it's not like you can't get your investment back if you don't like it. It's Earthbound. There's ALWAYS a market for it.

ghibli99

Wow, this game is getting more and more expensive with each year.
Yeah, a lot of MIB/CIB copies have been going for $600-800 this year. Sometimes more. I keep my eye on them just to see what they're doing, and it's been pretty crazy.

Tenck

There's one tip I'll give you that I never saw coming until I had to search for it on youtube.

There's a waterfall you can walk behind (the falling water of course) and you walk to the left until you can't walk anymore. Look up and talk to one of the hidden NPCs, he'll ask for a password. Just stand still for three minutes without doing anything and you'll get in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF2VH5SlhZs

Starts at 4 minutes if you want to see it in action. Nothing will be spoiled if you skip directly to the 4 minute mark and close the video right when you're done.

IceCold

Mother 2 and 3 are awesome games. I've always loved how they managed to insert little jokes here and there and witty comments.

rdaneel72

$350!!!

I found this game at a flea market about 4 years ago, for $10!!! Cart only, of course, but I knew what a huge bargin that was.

Earthbound's reputation is well-earned. It is a wholly unique experience, and I'm not ashamed to say I got a little choked-up at the final battle.

There's one tip I'll give you that I never saw coming until I had to search for it on youtube.

There's a waterfall you can walk behind (the falling water of course) and you walk to the left until you can't walk anymore. Look up and talk to one of the hidden NPCs, he'll ask for a password. Just stand still for three minutes without doing anything and you'll get in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF2VH5SlhZs

Starts at 4 minutes if you want to see it in action. Nothing will be spoiled if you skip directly to the 4 minute mark and close the video right when you're done.
One of the Saturns in Saturn Valley tells you how to do that pretty explicitly.

I'm not saying it's not a little tricky...but just that you don't have to use the internet or word-of-mouth to figure it out.

Davey Cakes

Even as a kid I was able to understand what to do at that part. I don't remember using the strategy guide, since I was a little confused but just tried out what the Mr. Saturn said. Such a mindfuck though; one of those things that truly sealed Earthbound as "out there."

Aeana

It's funny how people don't look back on that part as some sort of terrible thing, and yet Super Paper Mario's totally optional rubee earning part is an affront to all that is good when it really isn't all that different.

PBalfredo

It's funny how people don't look back on that part as some sort of terrible thing, and yet Super Paper Mario's totally optional rubee earning part is an affront to all that is good when it really isn't all that different.

God, what would be the |OT| for EarthBound have looked like if GAF was alive back then?

Cranzor

I've wanted Earthbound for years but it's so much money. I'll get it eventually though. Mother 3 is one of my favorite games so I am betting I'd love Earthbound, even though I hear it's a bit harder.

Aeana

Another suggestion I would give to first-time players is to totally let the name entry music play for a while.

It's pretty awesome.

Ichabod

Banned
EB is amazing. I've played through it probably a dozen times or more and it simply never gets old. The awesome music, quirky humor, and oddball cast of characters make for a world-saving odyssey unlike any other. Every time I finish the game, I can't help but feel a little sad that the journey is finally over. I can't think of another game that makes me feel that way aside from Chrono Trigger.

With that said, I can't believe I haven't delved into Mother 3 yet. I guess I should get on that.

JohnsonUT

Tips:

When your HP is rolling down and you are about to die, praying can often save the party with some emergency HP or ailment curing.

Bottle Rockets are awesome.

Teddy Bear is even more awesome.

I like to say this when Earthbound comes up: My first videogame love was JRPGs on the SNES. I love em all, at least all the good ones - the Final Fantasies, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Evermore(another underrated gem) and Mana, etc.. And Earthbound. All the other games, subjected to replays and dying nostalgia, seem worse and worse. Earthbound somehow just keeps getting better and better.

It's The Best traditional 16-bit JRPG and one of the foremost artistic achievements of the medium so far, and in retrospect miles better than every other JRPG of that era(well, maybe only like one mile better than FFVI). I like it better than Mother 3(Mother 3 is a little more melodramatic, and its surrealism feels slightly more calculated. Like they figured out the magic they had with Earthbound and tried to recreate it, which I'm sure is exactly what happened. It's still really good, just not quite as good. Also Earthbound is paced better.) It's profound, inventive, evocative and experimental, but never pretentious(obviously, the last thing Earthbound is is pretentious). It's full of emotion but has no melodrama. It is a work of intense passion that doesn't take itself even remotely seriously.

I think Earthbound was video games' most significant artistic achievement at the point it was made(perhaps, still, but I wouldn't try to make that argument here), because it doesn't really have an analogue in the other artistic mediums. It's not 'Our Citizen Kane', though, because its pastel-pseudo-Americana-analogue-synth-post-post-modern wonderland is not like Citizen Kane, or anything else. It is our Earthbound, though.

That music just flat out seems ahead of its time now, by like a decade at least. Shit's practically chillwave.

ghibli99

God, what would be the |OT| for EarthBound have looked like if GAF was alive back then?
Probably not very positive. Without the history, people would have likely bitched about the price, the size of the box, the rather primitive animation, limited inventory, being set on 'earth', etc. Being part of the FF6 and CT era, I'm sure it would've been mocked by most.

I'm glad it's lived on and become even more popular as the years go by.

pramath

Banned
I'm playing it for the first time currently.
Good god, this game. As an RPG, its pretty good, but the music... the music!!!

Tenck

One of the Saturns in Saturn Valley tells you how to do that pretty explicitly.

I'm not saying it's not a little tricky...but just that you don't have to use the internet or word-of-mouth to figure it out.

!!!

Man I was pretty mad on my first playthrough. Looks like I am bad at talking to NPCs :(

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Favourite EB quotes anyone? I'll get the ball rolling with a few:

"You're the enemy of all zombies! You monster!"

"Last night there was a solitaire tournament...I lost my shirt..."

"Dinosaurs...Huge, aren't they? Well, that's all I've gotten out of my research!"

"Hey, you! If you meet a beautiful, seductive woman who's looking for me, tell her 'hi.' Anyway, I don't think a woman like that would be looking for me."

"If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't."

"Hey, talking to people at another table in a restaurant is like...breaking into their room and checking their drawers for valuables. Yeah, other people on important adventures do such things, but you have to admit that it's bizarre!"

"Barf! vomit! barf, barf! chuck! chuck! Drown to death in puke! Don't you think that's an incredibly masculine taunt to throw at you?"

Leeness

The game BLEW MY MIND the first time I played it.

End boss spoilers

I had completely forgotten giving the game my name way back in Summers (it's in Summers, right?). So I was like WHAT THE HELLLLLL when Paula ~prayed~ for me to help them. Hahaha. Giving them my name always makes me smile every time I replay now.

I think it'll be interesting to play it for the first time now a days just because so much of the humor and cleverness of the game was completely lost to me when I first played it as a kid. The game has a certain subtle-ness that nearly all games don't have. It is what makes replaying the game over the years so rewarding.

Top Bottom