• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Earthbound

Junie12

Man, reading this thread is making me want to play EB again.

Now if only I could find my old SNES...

Really don't want to buy another one just to play that game. >_<

I know I left my SNES somewhere in my parents house..

I just have to find it and hope to god it works.

-KRS-

Man, reading this thread is making me want to play EB again.

Now if only I could find my old SNES...

Really don't want to buy another one just to play that game. >_<

I know I left my SNES somewhere in my parents house..

I just have to find it and hope to god it works.

It's a SNES, of course it'll work.

Guy said he will ship in a few days, so won't get until next week probably but that's what I figured.

My set up is my SNES hooked up to my 42 inch Hitachi plasma with an s-video/AV combo cable (the kind they made during the GC/PS2/XBox days, the s-video looks and works great) and a six foot ext cord for the controller so I can be parked on the coach. Once I get the game and boot it up for the first time I'll try to post a few pics for fun. I'm currently about halfway on a playthrough on my Link to the Past cart (on a bit of an anti-VC kick lately) so may not be able to fully dig into the game until I'm finished with that.

Never got a chance to get into this series although I'd really love to sometime. I remember the advertising for it in old EGM's and that the game came with some scratch n' sniff stickers.

Also this quote:

"I just farted, sorry."

STG!

Guy said he will ship in a few days, so won't get until next week probably but that's what I figured.

My set up is my SNES hooked up to my 42 inch Hitachi plasma with an s-video/AV combo cable (the kind they made during the GC/PS2/XBox days, the s-video looks and works great) and a six foot ext cord for the controller so I can be parked on the coach. Once I get the game and boot it up for the first time I'll try to post a few pics for fun. I'm currently about halfway on a playthrough on my Link to the Past cart (on a bit of an anti-VC kick lately) so may not be able to fully dig into the game until I'm finished with that.

Do you also have a decent sound system for your setup? If so, turn the volume way up, as you're in for a real treat!

That bass...

Do you also have a decent sound system for your setup? If so, turn the volume way up, as you're in for a real treat!

That bass...

Unfortunately no, just my TV speakers currently but I've never been a huge surround sound kinda guy but I'll get some good speakers eventually. It's a crime I didn't have any for when I played SMG 1 and 2.

Def. one of the best jrpg's I have ever played. It's unique, full of charm, and overall one hell of an experience. It can get tough at times, but indulge your self with the environment, and what it brings to the table compared to other usual games.

I am jelly you are playing this for the very first time.

Tenck

I wonder how it must feel to wait for the game OP. We've told you it's awesome, and we even have quotes in the thread!!

I wish I could experience it all over again.

Ichabod

Banned
Favourite EB quotes anyone? I'll get the ball rolling with a few:

"Everdred knitted it's brow." -Everdred fight text (Always made my cousins and I snicker)

"Quit staring at my hips!" -Monotoli Tower elevator operator

"Gwaagh, Gwarrrgh! You finally made it. This department store is gonna be your grave! Gwaaagh. You will be gone, and you'll be burning in...well, you'll go to heaven!" -Department Store Spook

"Welcome to Moonside. Wel come to moo nsi ns dem oons ide." -Guy in Moonside

"This is the first 'Your Sanctuary' location. But it's mine now. Take it from me, if you dare..." -Titanic Ant

I wonder how it must feel to wait for the game OP. We've told you it's awesome, and we even have quotes in the thread!!

I wish I could experience it all over again.

Honestly, right now it's kind of the same feeling of anticipation I had back in the summer of 1995 when I was 16 (in my early 30s now) and waiting for Chrono Trigger to be released after seeing months of previews in Nintendo Power and other magazines like EGM (ah the days when your only window on the gaming industry was your subscription to NP and the local bookstore's magazine rack). Then when it was released late summer/fall we rented it and the game was so amazing and just as epic as we expected that me and my brother started pooling our allowances right away and bought it a few months later. I'd also been waiting all summer for Yoshi's Island which came out around the same time as CT, talk about a couple of blockbuster games.

OK, so there was a bit of a shipping delay but I finally got my Earthbound and player's guide on Wednesday. I took some pics for fun of my first time with the game and some first impressions (I apologize if the video looks a bit fuzzy, it's just because of lighting/glare, in reality it looks great in s-video and very close to the resolution quality of a VC game):

e5e1cf20.jpg

686387f4.jpg

881c4929.jpg

e746e868.jpg

3ca75ba8.jpg

6fc94435.jpg

I was busy Wednesday after work so didn't get a chance to play it until later that night after 12AM so to make it even more of a great initial experience, I did what I do when I play a game with a lot of atmosphere: I turned out the lights (how I always play Metroid games). The opening scene with Ness waking from sleep due to the meteor crash, going outside to investigate it with all the spooky sounds, so cool. Then later when you get out of bed again because
Pokey
is knocking loudly at the door, I actually got kind of nervous and scared like I do in other more serious games. The game's visuals are comical but by this example I can already tell it's good at getting me immersed in the moments.

It's my first time playing an RPG with forced battles which I knew would take some getting used to. It's funny because after leaving the house with Pokey, I saw the rogue dogs wandering around and I was like "Hmmm, probably won't work but maaaaybe I can walk around them like in Chrono Trigger..." and the game is like "LOL Nope!" I seem to be adjusting OK so far though. After getting
Buzz Buzz at the meteor site
I had my first
Starman
encounter. Am I wrong or is it not possible to lose that fight? Because I only had 2 HP and I was freaked out thinking I was gonna lose for sure but fortunately
Buzz Buzz just kept spamming my party with Psi shields and I was able to get home and save my game.

Was busy yesterday so I haven't played since that point but that's gonna change today because I'm fortunate enough to have most of the summer off! :D Before I got the game I was about halfway on a playthrough of my Link to the Past cartridge but I think I'm just going to shelve that until I'm done with this game. Anyways, love what I've played of the game so far and I'll be checking back in here periodically to post updates on my progress and keep the fun discussion going.

Kientin

Always nice to see the experiences of someone that's never played it before. :)

Nah it's not possible to lose that one, you would get demolished if it was not for Buzz Buzz. That's the only fight like this in the game though so it's all you past this point.

Always nice to see the experiences of someone that's never played it before. :)

Nah it's not possible to lose that one, you would get demolished if it was not for Buzz Buzz. That's the only fight like this in the game though so it's all you past this point.

That's what I figured, thanks. :)

stuminus3

I sorely wish I could enjoy this game like you guys do.

The game was never released in the UK, which was a fairly common for JRPGs at the time. I was able to catch up with other games like Chrono Trigger over the years thanks to various re-releases and ports, but of course Earthbound has never appeared anywhere ever again. Ever. And probably never will. I tinkered with it for a bit via emulation on PC about 10 years or so ago but I'll be honest it felt a little dirty so I put it aside. I live in Canada now, where the game was actually released and I can easily get my hands on a SNES to play it, but it's way out of my budget.

Davey Cakes

The battles aren't actually "forced" all the time. You can strategically trap some enemies on environmental objects. But more importantly, if you walk so that the enemy is off-screen, they might disappear when you go back, or may be replaced by a weaker enemy. The game spawns enemies, it doesn't lock them into every situation, so you can manipulate the ones you fight to some degree.

You are in for one unforgettable journey. This is my all time favorite game from the SNES days. The music is indescribably awesome and even hearing the tracks today gets me all kinds of nostalgic. I remember how cool those scratch and sniff stickers were (some smelled terrible but that was the cool part!), it was so unique and everything about it's presentation from the big box to strategy guide with scratch-n-sniffs just set the tone of how great it would be. Take your time with it, and enjoy!

The battles aren't actually "forced" all the time. You can strategically trap some enemies on environmental objects. But more importantly, if you walk so that the enemy is off-screen, they might disappear when you go back, or may be replaced by a weaker enemy. The game spawns enemies, it doesn't lock them into every situation, so you can manipulate the ones you fight to some degree.

That's good to know, thanks for the tips.

You are in for one unforgettable journey. This is my all time favorite game from the SNES days. The music is indescribably awesome and even hearing the tracks today gets me all kinds of nostalgic.

Yeah, love the music so far, even the title and the username set up screens have great themes.

I remember how cool those scratch and sniff stickers were (some smelled terrible but that was the cool part!), it was so unique and everything about it's presentation from the big box to strategy guide with scratch-n-sniffs just set the tone of how great it would be. Take your time with it, and enjoy!

There were also some scratch and sniff promo stickers for the game in volume 74 of Nintendo Power (Donkey Kong Land cover). I know I still have that issue in my old stack of NP's. I should try to find it next time I go back home to my parents, I just hope I didn't tear them out and discard them when I was a kid.

There were also some scratch and sniff promo stickers for the game in volume 74 of Nintendo Power (Donkey Kong Land cover). I know I still have that issue in my old stack of NP's. I should try to find it next time I go back home to my parents, I just hope I didn't tear them out and discard them when I was a kid.
Oh yeah I remember that issue! I have my nintendo power collection somewhere in my parent's house too, I'll be sure to look for that issue next time I go there.

Up late playing the game right now, Pokey's family is hilariously uppity and trashy. I think those two got spanked.
Farewell, Buzz Buzz.
:(

Anyways, in the library right now. First I hear the awesome daytime Onett theme, now this. LOVE the music. And lol at the "differently titled" "Convenient Society" books. Even the help NPCs are fun to read. Also find the info on pay phones being in stores "everywhere " eerily out of date. :/

This game came at just the right time to keep me occupied and distracted from my usual Wii U speculation mania until the E3 conference.

Great to see the thread alive still!!

Will subscribe just to see what you think of it when you're done.

Awesome. Like I said, I'll keep updating, this is a fun way to experience a game for the first time.

RawPower

Banned
My favorite RPG on SNES, bar none. Nothing comes close, except maybe Secret of Mana.

The fact that Mother 3 never made it here is a crime against humanity.

Amir0x

Banned
I love the weapon roster so far, haha.

Another question, what kind of extras if any does the game have? Bonuses, any branching paths, ect or is it pretty linear?

There's some rare drops that I always annoy myself trying to get during playthroughs. They basically turn you into a God

Read only if want spoiled:

All have a drop rate of 1/128

Gutsy Bat off Bionic Kraken

Sword of Kings off Starman Supers

Magic Fry Pan off Chomposaur

Goddess Ribbon off Ghost of Starman

Star Pendant off Major Psychic Psycho
For extra annoyance, try getting one for every teammate on a single file!

Broken Antenna off Uncontrollable Sphere

Favourite EB quotes anyone? I'll get the ball rolling with a few:

"You're the enemy of all zombies! You monster!"

"Last night there was a solitaire tournament...I lost my shirt..."

"Dinosaurs...Huge, aren't they? Well, that's all I've gotten out of my research!"

"Hey, you! If you meet a beautiful, seductive woman who's looking for me, tell her 'hi.' Anyway, I don't think a woman like that would be looking for me."

"If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't."

"Hey, talking to people at another table in a restaurant is like...breaking into their room and checking their drawers for valuables. Yeah, other people on important adventures do such things, but you have to admit that it's bizarre!"

"Barf! vomit! barf, barf! chuck! chuck! Drown to death in puke! Don't you think that's an incredibly masculine taunt to throw at you?"

I'll show mine with a picture!

CLICK FOR SPOIL: http://www.nindb.net/img/cameo/mother-2/earthbound2.png

That shit pissed me off for YEARS after I played Earthbound lol.

Another suggestion I would give to first-time players is to totally let the name entry music play for a while.

It's pretty awesome.

Man all the music in Earthbound is incredible, it's in my top 10 videogame soundtracks. It's amazing that even after all these years its take on the RPG soundtrack is still novel and unique.

Love this game so much and my wife got me a copy a couple years ago for Christmas for $75, just the cartridge and it was such an awesome day.

I look now and it's already worth a lot more now than then. Interesting, figured it would have capped out.

My wife actually went on to play it after we got it and it was one of her favourite games of all time and she doesn't normally play jRPGs.

There's some rare drops that I always annoy myself trying to get during playthroughs. They basically turn you into a God

Read only if want spoiled:

All have a drop rate of 1/128

Gutsy Bat off Bionic Kraken

Sword of Kings off Starman Supers

Magic Fry Pan off Chomposaur

Goddess Ribbon off Ghost of Starman

Star Pendant off Major Psychic Psycho
For extra annoyance, try getting one for every teammate on a single file!

Broken Antenna off Uncontrollable Sphere

I'll show mine with a picture!

CLICK FOR SPOIL: http://www.nindb.net/img/cameo/mother-2/earthbound2.png

That shit pissed me off for YEARS after I played Earthbound lol.

Man all the music in Earthbound is incredible, it's in my top 10 videogame soundtracks. It's amazing that even after all these years its take on the RPG soundtrack is still novel and unique.

Thanks, I'll have to read through those sometime after I beat the game. I had to put the player's guide away already, too much spoilage peeking at all the cool art and profiles. ~__o I might start reading it after beating each section.

Love this game so much and my wife got me a copy a couple years ago for Christmas for $75, just the cartridge and it was such an awesome day.

I look now and it's already worth a lot more now than then. Interesting, figured it would have capped out.

It's definitely the most expensive game I've gotten since my Sega Saturn copy of Radiant Silvergun. It's a shame Iwata, Itoi and NOA can't/won't work out a deal to get the game acceptably edited and re-released somehow.

Amir0x

Banned
I got really lucky with my Earthbound purchases. One, I still have a ragged copy of my original Earthbound purchase from way back in the day... when it was original priced. But also, one day when KayBee Stores was going out of business, for some miraculous reason they had a still-sealed copy of Earthbound on the top of the shelf behind the register. Big box, guide and all in perfect condition. So I got that for like $10.

I got really lucky with my Earthbound purchases. One, I still have a ragged copy of my original Earthbound purchase from way back in the day... when it was original priced. But also, one day when KayBee Stores was going out of business, for some miraculous reason they had a still-sealed copy of Earthbound on the top of the shelf behind the register. Big box, guide and all in perfect condition. So I got that for like $10.

Amazing bargain, I'm jealous.What year was that? I got a copy of Mega Man X from them for only 9.99 back in winter 1994, only about a year after release, crazy the deals you find sometime.

Link1110

The game BLEW MY MIND the first time I played it.

End boss spoilers

I had completely forgotten giving the game my name way back in Summers (it's in Summers, right?). So I was like WHAT THE HELLLLLL when Paula ~prayed~ for me to help them. Hahaha. Giving them my name always makes me smile every time I replay now.
I had a similar experience with DQ3 for SNES. I forgot giving my real name at the beginning, and the game converts it from Japanese western letters on the credits, do I was like WTF?

Also, when I came into this thread and saw that YouTube link with the music, I was hoping it would be Twoson. Great choice. The soundtrack is better if you get familiar with Mother 1's soundtrack first because most of it gets remixed.

Amir0x

Banned
Amazing bargain, I'm jealous.What year was that? I got a copy of Mega Man X from them for only 9.99 back in winter 1994, only about a year after release, crazy the deals you find sometime.

I think it was like 2003 or 2004, something like that. I was surprised to even find a Super Nintendo game still in the store, let alone a sealed copy of Earthbound. They had a few old school Super Nintendo games that I didn't want, but then I looked up and it sparkled. I don't believe in God, but if there was a God, he made that possible ;P

I just fought Frank for the first time. A school kid fighting a mobster with dual switchblades? This game is dark. Is it possible to beat him if I buy a bunch of food items or is it too early in the game to take him down?

I think it was like 2003 or 2004, something like that. I was surprised to even find a Super Nintendo game still in the store, let alone a sealed copy of Earthbound. They had a few old school Super Nintendo games that I didn't want, but then I looked up and it sparkled. I don't believe in God, but if there was a God, he made that possible ;P

Yeah, our Kay Bees went out of business in mid/late 2003 as well. Me and a friend went to look at the clearance games but didn't find anything great let alone any SNES games, that's an amazing find. Reminds me of a recurring dream I have where I'll be in some remote warehouse or back room of a store and find a box full of valuable retro games. haha

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah, our Kay Bees went out of business in mid/late 2003 as well. Me and a friend went to look at the clearance games but didn't find anything great let alone any SNES games, that's an amazing find. Reminds me of a recurring dream I have where I'll be in some remote warehouse or back room of a store and find a box full of valuable retro games. haha

to me it was like a magical moment of a product reaching the perfect customer. I'm the biggest Earthbound fan I know of, and that shit could have ended up in the hands of some thankless little whelp, and the box and contents would have been destroyed. Now it is preserved for all time, my perfect sealed slice of heaven.

Top Bottom