• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seinfeld is the Unfunniest Sitcom of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korey

So after hearing from my older friends about how great Seinfeld is for years, and as a Curb Your Enthusiasm fan, I finally took the time to give it a go. Some people recommend skipping the first season or two to get to the good stuff, so I started at Season 3.

I'm 16 episodes in ("The Fix-Up") and I've laughed maybe two times. Laugh is a strong word. Maybe "chuckled" is more appropriate. I just don't get it. What is funny about this series? Obviously Curb Your Enthusiasm is much more modern so it's more relatable, but Seinfeld just seems utterly unfunny to me. Like, on Two and a Half Men levels.

And what's the deal with Jerry Seinfeld's comedy routines interspersed in the episodes? Was he actually a stand up comic back then or is it just for the show? I actually feel terrible for people who lived back then if that's what passed for stand up comedy. It's just so corny and unfunny that it's not even funny (no pun intended). He makes Dane Cook seem like the most hilarious person alive.

It's CRAZY how unfunny this show is.

Just...gah. Sorry, I can't express in words how unfunny this show is. It's just terrible. Between this and Blade Runner I'm almost convinced there's something wrong with everyone from that generation

Not only is Seinfeld not that funny but all the characters are super unlikable. I've never laughed at the stand-up bits at the beginning and end of the episodes. I'm saying this as someone who watched the show while it was airing.

I think there are a lot of people who either like Friends or Seinfeld, I'm in the Friends camp.
I tried watching the show so many times. I kept convincing myself that I was the problem and that if I just tried harder it would become funny.

Wasn't until Bee Movie came out (same guy, same humor) that I came to accept that the show really was genuinely unfunny except for a handful of gem episodes.
I really don't get Seinfeld's popularity and have simply chalked it up as "different strokes for different folks." One of my roomates in college was about as straight-laced and square as they come. He was a super nice guy but damn if he wasn't the most boring and bland person I'd ever met. I remember every fucking weekday at 7 in the evening he would stop whatever he was doing, haul ass to the living room, and turn on Seinfeld. I would hear him laughing his ass off in there, like so hard he was gasping for breath at times. One day I sat down to watch a few episodes with him and it was like we were watching two entirely different shows. Although every fiber of my being wanted to flee from the unfunny beaming from our TV, I forced myself to sit through 2 complete, back to back episodes and concluded it was the worst thing I'd ever seen. To this day if I hear that fucking bass riff, my right eye starts twitching.
I agree, always hated how corny Seinfeld was.
Seinfeld was great in it's day but, like most comedy, is doesn't age well.
Put me in the Friends camp. I've had the displeasure of watching several Seinfeld episodes and I hated every single one of them. I'm right there with you OP.

I used to feel that way until I gave it a solid chance. I really like it now.

You really have to understand the concept that each episode has a theme.

JCX

One possible reason is that Seinfeld has influenced the sitcom genre greatly, so it doesn't seem as impressive now. Shows like It's Always Sunny owe a lot to Seinfeld.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Between this and Blade Runner I'm almost convinced there's something wrong with everyone from that generation

hNECq.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
One possible reason is that Seinfeld has influenced the sitcom genre greatly, so it doesn't seem as impressive now. Shows like It's Always Sunny owe a lot to Seinfeld.

This is very true.

Sitcoms were so "earnest" before the 90s.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Seinfeld is a timeless monument to modern culture. Believing anything less would be...uncivilized.

Seriously, I really do believe the show is timeless. Technology changes and some scenarios are now outdated because of it, but the show's incredibly revealing exposes on social tension and awkwardness remain unparalleled in a "pop" sitcom. There is a Seinfeld for every situation.

God bless this show. For the record, I am 23.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Was Jerry Seinfeld a comedian? Hell yes he was.

It seems so weird to have to explain this stuff, but I guess that what getting old is about. Now get off my lawn

Don't worry. OP will have the same problem explaining Bieber Fever to the next generation.

Ultima_5

Why do we need so many Seinfeld threads at once? This and the when does Seinfeld get good thread go hand in hand. Just start your post with "it doesn't" an continue.

Not only is Seinfeld not that funny but all the characters are super unlikable. I've never laughed at the stand-up bits at the beginning and end of the episodes. I'm saying this as someone who watched the show while it was airing.

I think there are a lot of people who either like Friends or Seinfeld, I'm in the Friends camp.

NewLib

Banned

THATS THE POINT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom