• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: DmC looks/feels like 60FPS. Also, 60fps is tiring for your eyes, thus 30fps.

nickcv

mock and lock if old

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...feel-of-60-frames-per-second-publisher-claims

During the development of open world fantasy action role-playing game Dragon's Dogma Capcom learnt new tricks that give Devil May Cry the feel of 60 frames per second, the publisher has claimed.

“During the course of the development of Dragon's Dogma we did a lot of experimentation and happened upon some techniques for working with Unreal Engine, some fairly elaborate techniques, that allow for a controller responsiveness that gives the player the feel of 60 frames per second,” Itsuno told Eurogamer.

“So even though you have it running at 30 frames per second, you create the motions and the poses in such a way that the brain will naturally fill in what would have been the extra frames.

“Also, on the players' side, we made some adjustments to the button response and when it's reflected on screen.”

Itsuno said action games that run at 60 frames per second can have a tiring effect on players' eyes after a long time because the frames themselves “almost shake or flash”. Because of this, “adjusting the speed is almost necessary”.

edit: please mods remove the quotation marks from the title

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Stop using quotation marks for quotations that you invented.

Let their bullshit stand on its own merit, no reason to invent quotes.

pa22word

Itsuno said action games that run at 60 frames per second can have a tiring effect on players' eyes after a long time because the frames themselves “almost shake or flash”. Because of this, “adjusting the speed is almost necessary”.

1322698249701.gif

GOM6c.gif

I don't want my brain to fill in a damn thing. This isn't a fucking horror film with twitching people standing at weird angles that my mind attempts to comprehend. It's a damn action game. It won't feel like 60fps, it will feel like 30fps.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Isn't this really old news?

Dali

Ignoring the pure bullshit of... pretty much everything he said... can someone comment on the responsiveness of dragon's dogma? I know its not a 60fps game and doesn't even "feel" like one in all likelihood, but is it responsive for a 30fps game? Does it feel like any special knowledge was used, lol?

Xater

Fucking hell they are serious about this shit. There is no such thing as "the feel of 60fps", it either does or doesn't run at 60. Criterion tried to pull the same shit with Hot Pursuit.

jett

D-Member
During the development of open world fantasy action role-playing game Dragon's Dogma Capcom learnt new tricks that give Devil May Cry the feel of 60 frames per second, the publisher has claimed.

Oh really? Dragon's Dogma runs at a constant 20fps~ on the PS3. :lol

Coxy

"Because of this, “adjusting the speed is almost necessary”."

oh yeah that's the reason, I'ver played multiple 100 hour+ RPGs in a row at 60fps but your 10 hour action game will do me in, thanks capcpom

Lain

The feeling of 60.

Though the part about adjusting the speed being almost necessary for health concerns is on a level I find almost offensive.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

:eyeroll

Dont tie yourself to this shit, Itsuno. You're better than this and the excuses you have to make for another dev houses inferior tech.

The good news, of course, is that the PC version (if it's ever released) will be able to run at 120fps since it's UE3 and a simple .ini edit unlocks the framerate to whatever you want. Right, Capcpom?

Fucking hell they are serious about this shit. There is no such thing as "the feel of 60fps", it either does or doesn't run at 60. Criterion tried to pull the same shit with Hot Pursuit.

Criterion deserves a ton of credit for what they did with Hot Pursuit. It has the lowest input lag of any 30fps that Digital Foundry has tested. 83ms of input lag while Burnout Paradise had 66ms of input lag. 30fps usually have 100ms+ of input lag.

"DmC doesn’t run at 60FPS, it just looks like it does"
3da4kkvv.gif

Xater

The feeling of 60.

Though the part about adjusting the speed being almost necessary for health concerns is on a level I find almost offensive.

Haven't you heard about the millions of COD players having issues because they play it at60 fps for hundreds of hours?

gabbre

623Ur.jpg

4w4CX.png

elektrixx

Banned

If Playground said that what I've played of Forza Horizon ran at 60 I think I'd believe it!

Aru

I'm scared about ps3 state now.

I love fast paced action and if most action games were running at 60 FPS, it would be great. But after playing Vanquish, I'd lie if I said that it didn't run great and felt almost like 60 FPS. Almost like 60 FPS isn't 60 FPS, I know. But it's better than slower paced action and unlocked frame rates.

Top Bottom