• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: DmC looks/feels like 60FPS. Also, 60fps is tiring for your eyes, thus 30fps.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
tumblr_m7owb7f5Wq1qg39ewo1_500.gif

Eusis

I assure you that's not because of it's framerate
Conciously? No, probably not.

Subconciously due to how it makes the gameplay feel? It seems very likely, given others trying to tackle the same subject matter tend to not do as well, though this could be a case of Activision hitting at the right time.

King_Moc

Banned
Tell it to the tens of millions of CoD gamers, Capcom.

What a dumb thing to say. They must be able to come up with better excuses for ruining their franchises than this?

2MF

Some have said that most people can't tell the difference and the emphasis on 60 fps and control fluidity is more niche.

Put Mario Kart Wii running at 30 fps vs 60 fps in front of someone and I almost guarantee they'll be able to tell.

PS: It usually runs at 60 fps, but in splitscreen online mode it doesn't.

don't worry, i hear capcom is working on revolutionary technology which gives 60fps on pc the feel of 30fps emulating 60fps.

Lol, thanks! I'm keeping it then.

Sera O

Banned
What a sad statement from Itsuno. I feel pretty sorry for him having to make excuses for this, even if it comes across as really dumb. Is he handing out apologies for DMC4's eye-searing 60 fps?

In terms of headaches, I'd think lower framerate would be worse and not better (assuming it's steady in both cases). Unless there is something about the 'feel' etc that makes it like one's eyeballs are being gently wrapped in cotton. . .

Gilgamesh

Brilliant! This way we'll get the smooth feeling of 60fps without sacrificing the cinematic experience.

Thanks, Capcom.

Mascot

Friend of mine cannot, CANNOT, tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps in any game. It annoys the fucking shit out of me.

Vying with Tomb Raider 3.0 with most PR faceplants in a 2013 release.

Japanese devs have a way of expressing very stupid reasoning behind their actions (excuses in some cases) in interviews that couldn't possibly be true, at least taken literally. HD towns, etc. Itsuno doesn't look an exception to that.

That said, I find it funny that he has apparently no cred and is just another Capcom face to spit on, despite there being a lot of love for DMC3 (and 4, even) on GAF. Also happened comments made leading up to Dragon's Dogma too. I wouldn't be very surprised if people just assumed Kamiya had something to do with DMC3.

These threads directed at Capcom inevitably take a turn towards insulting the posters who happen to like Capcom games.

That's because they didn't invest in english-speaking PR with blackbelts in Horseshit-Fu. :p

HoodWinked

Friend of mine cannot, CANNOT, tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps in any game. It annoys the fucking shit out of me.

many can't tell the difference even tho they are physically seeing and experiencing it because they dont know what they're looking for.

Reiko

Banned
Vying with Tomb Raider 3.0 with most PR faceplants in a 2013 release.

That's because they didn't invest in english-speaking PR with blackbelts in Horseshit-Fu. :p

Remember the bullshit PR for Ninja Gaiden 3? "We're removing all the blood and gore from NG2 because gamers have already seen that."

And now they're putting it back in for NG3 Razor's Edge on Wii-U...

abasm

I do remember reading about a game that ran at 30 fps but polled the controller at 60 Hz for increased responsiveness...though maybe that was just marketing flimflam.

Either way, Capcom must be remarkably desperate if they're coming up with gems like this.

ezekial45

Banned
I do remember reading about a game that ran at 30 fps but polled the controller at 60 Hz for increased responsiveness...though maybe that was just marketing flimflam.

Either way, Capcom must be remarkably desperate if they're coming up with gems like this.

Vanquish.

Dahbomb

That was NFS MW.

jett

D-Member
Vanquish.

Nah, it's Criterion's Need for Speed.

I've seen some people bring up Vanquish as a game that "feels" like 60fps, but for me it's the exact opposite. The faster-paced a game is the worse it looks at 30fps. Personally I can't stand racers at anything less than 60fps. Vanquish isn't a racer, but it's crazy fast.

Besides, Vanquish has plenty of slowdown.

Haha I'm late but damn that has got to be the biggest pile of shit excuse. Even better, somebody actually defended it. Entertaining thread is entertaining.

While they won't 1:1 replicate "the feel of 60fps", I think this fantastic article shows that it's possible to make a 30fps game that is at least much more responsive than what is typical of that framerate. "Perceptual 60fps" is a term that gets thrown around whenever a game is running at 45-60fps, so if they can achieve a level of responsiveness near that, then I hazard that a lot of people will not be able to feel much difference. Now, whether this is all probable is another matter - seeing how poorly the last few Capcom and Ninja Theory games ran doesn't fill me with confidence in them achieving this perceptual 60fps. The tiring comment I have no real defense for though, ridiculous.

Beth Cyra

Man, poor Itsuno.

I refuse to believe the man who directed Devil May Cry 3 and 4 and their amazing combat could actually believe this shit. Capcom is probably just trotting him out in hopes to actually get people to buy D.m.C

jett

D-Member
Man, poor Itsuno.

I refuse to believe the man who directed Devil May Cry 3 and 4 and their amazing combat could actually believe this shit. Capcom is probably just trotting him out in hopes to actually get people to buy D.m.C

He is obviously just peddling the game.

Man, poor Itsuno.

This begs the question, what does the Japanese think of this game? Does japangaf know of any japanese impressions? A western action game seems like a no go for Japan. So do they think the western GoW, darksiders, castlevainia LoS demographic will make up for lost eastern sales? Makes no sense all the way around.

sleepykyo

This begs the question, what does the Japanese think of this game? Does japangaf know of any japanese impressions? A western action game seems like a no go for Japan. So do they think the western GoW, darksiders, castlevainia LoS demographic will make up for lost eastern sales? Makes no sense all the way around.

Pretty sure CoD does fairly well over there (at least enough for Square to keep publishing them anyway) so I doubt a western game is an automatic no go.

Smash88

Banned
Itsuno said action games that run at 60 frames per second can have a tiring effect on players' eyes after a long time because the frames themselves “almost shake or flash”. Because of this, “adjusting the speed is almost necessary”.

izPHEOKU2MFSP.jpg

My brain just....

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Fuck the peasant version if it's going to suck, it has the collector's edition, sure. But for the new EMO Le-Look experience, we must go PC brathas.

First time I will be buying a Devil May Cry game for PC only.

Beth Cyra

Doubtful.

They just have to be hopping they can build a new fanbase on top of those who already loved the franchise.

Reiko

Banned
Fuck the peasant version if it's going to suck, it has the collector's edition, sure. But for the new EMO Le-Look experience, we must go PC brathas.

First time I will be buying a Devil May Cry game for PC only.

Durango/Orbis Eye Tiring version?

Since people tend to skip words on GAF:

http://i.imgur.com/zn1fD.jpg[IMG]

Its pretty easy to spot he's playing a patsy in this whole shibang. His only mistake was trying to make excuses for someone else's stinky shit.[/QUOTE]

That's actually part of his role. He's supposed to make balderdash comments to support his product.

Capcom are already paying the price for developer selection before the game even comes out. No amount of Mountain Dew and Doritos will change fans' opinion on this game.

Seriously though, this is just such a weird fucking thing to say.

It's as if they though this explanation would have people be like, "Oh, okay! That's totally reasonable!" I don't get it.

Top Bottom