• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: DmC looks/feels like 60FPS. Also, 60fps is tiring for your eyes, thus 30fps.

Jawmuncher

The PC version should be 60FPS, unless you know they fuck up that port bad to the point no one can even play it.

pa22word

So even though you have it running at 30 frames per second, you create the motions and the poses in such a way that the brain will naturally fill in what would have been the extra frames.

Such a nice, PR-speak-ified heavy usage of motion blur confirmation

Yum!

Itsuno said action games that run at 60 frames per second can have a tiring effect on players' eyes after a long time because the frames themselves “almost shake or flash”. Because of this, “adjusting the speed is almost necessary”.

Translation:

I am too pussy to admit Platinum can make things run at 60FPS and I cannot. So I'm going to lie.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I love fast paced action and if most action games were running at 60 FPS, it would be great. But after playing Vanquish, I'd lie if I said that it didn't run great and felt almost like 60 FPS. Almost like 60 FPS isn't 60 FPS, I know. But it's better than slower paced action and unlocked frame rates.

A TPS is a TPS where a certain speed of traversal and interaction is to be expected between bullets, fists, and heads, even when rocket sliding around. A stylish combat game is far more about super-fluidity between moves however, and thats what 60fps delivers.

Translation:

I am too pussy to admit Platinum can make things run at 60FPS and I cannot. So I'm going to lie.

He's stupid to have said this, but lets not forget DMC4 fucking exists okay? Just because Itsuno has been nailed to this Ninja Theory shaped cross (see also Ono's Remember Me attachment and the Capcom "Adopt a Japanese Designer Mouthpiece" western studio outreach program) doesnt make him responsible for all this.

Riposte

Japanese devs have a way of expressing very stupid reasoning behind their actions (excuses in some cases) in interviews that couldn't possibly be true, at least taken literally. HD towns, etc. Itsuno doesn't look an exception to that.

That said, I find it funny that he has apparently no cred and is just another Capcom face to spit on, despite there being a lot of love for DMC3 (and 4, even) on GAF. Also happened comments made leading up to Dragon's Dogma too. I wouldn't be very surprised if people just assumed Kamiya had something to do with DMC3.

& it works looking at RE6 thread.

These threads directed at Capcom inevitably take a turn towards insulting the posters who happen to like Capcom games.

Ignoring the pure bullshit of... pretty much everything he said... can someone comment on the responsiveness of dragon's dogma? I know its not a 60fps game and doesn't even "feel" like one in all likelihood, but is it responsive for a 30fps game? Does it feel like any special knowledge was used, lol?

No, DD feels like a 20fps game, 'cause it is one (great game though).

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Fucking hell they are serious about this shit. There is no such thing as "the feel of 60fps", it either does or doesn't run at 60. Criterion tried to pull the same shit with Hot Pursuit.

And that game feels like 60fps the underlying refresh rate is 60fps.....so it feels like 60fps.

The difference between the two is ridiculously low.....67ms for Burnout Paradise(already very fast) and 83ms for Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit.

Thats millieseconds by the way.
What you saying son?

TheD

The Detective
"Itsuno said action games that run at 60 frames per second can have a tiring effect on players' eyes after a long time because the frames themselves “almost shake or flash”. Because of this, “adjusting the speed is almost necessary”.

What an idiot.

I think we need a version of the "Neogaf Carnival of Stupid" pic for that quote.

Datschge

I can imagine they having worked on effectively decoupling rendering, frame refreshing, physics calculation and control input so that rendering is completely detached from the rest (which ideally runs at 60hz all the time) but...

Itsuno said action games that run at 60 frames per second can have a tiring effect on players' eyes after a long time because the frames themselves “almost shake or flash”. Because of this, “adjusting the speed is almost necessary”.

...this is just plain silly and reeks of excuses.

pa22word

That said, I find it funny that he has apparently no cred and is just another Capcom face to spit on, despite there being a lot of love for DMC3 (and 4, even) on GAF. Also happened comments made leading up to Dragon's Dogma too. I wouldn't be very surprised if people just assumed Kamiya had something to do with DMC3.

His rep for his (fine) worth on DMC3 and DMC4 don't really excuse the bullshit he's trying to spread here, tbqh.

Celine

8I3cF.gif

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The good news, of course, is that the PC version (if it's ever released) will be able to run at 120fps since it's UE3 and a simple .ini edit unlocks the framerate to whatever you want. Right, Capcpom?

The PC version should be 60FPS, unless you know they fuck up that port bad to the point no one can even play it.

MaxSmoothedFrameRate = However fast you want the game to be...minimum 60.

But are we really getting a PC version....I mean within the same Quarter?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Since people tend to skip words on GAF:

zn1fD.jpg

Its pretty easy to spot he's playing a patsy in this whole shibang. His only mistake was trying to make excuses for someone else's stinky shit.

Jawmuncher

There's a pc version?
At most it was at least mentioned.

MaxSmoothedFrameRate = However fast you want the game to be...minimum 60.

But are we really getting a PC version....I mean within the same Quarter?

I was just talking more about what you were saying earlier about Ghost Recon on PC.
If something similar happened to the PC port here.As for it coming out Hell we don't even know about RE6 and that was said to be having one as well.

Dennis

Banned

I agree, anything over 20 fps is wasted.

I got 60 fps in the new MoH: Warfighter but I added a lot of AA to force the framerate down to about 20-25.

Felt a lot more cinematic.

Erethian

Since people tend to skip words on GAF:

[IM]http://i.imgur.com/zn1fD.jpg[/IM]

Its pretty easy to spot he's playing a patsy in this whole shibang. His only mistake was trying to make excuses for someone else's stinky shit.

It's what happens when you're one of the few veterans left at the company, so you end up getting pulled from directing to overseeing production and so have to be more of a mouthpiece.

Bloodrage

Banned
"DmC doesn't run at 60fps. We just hope that you're stupid enough to see that it sort of feels like it." - Capcim

The gameplay videos and even sped up trailers look like 30fps with drops.

What. Barely felt like Dragon's Dogma was running a solid 30. Even Force Unleashed 2 had some hiccups, and that felt slightly above 30 at best.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Proper motion blur can make a game look like it's running at 60 at a glance but nothing could ever replace the responsiveness of actually running at that framerate. I do hope Digital Foundry does an input lag test though. With NFS: MW breaking the 100ms at 30fps barrier I'm curious if NT tried that with DmC. It would at least give more credence to their claims.

Although Holy fuck at the claim that 60fps could bother someone's eyes. It's actually easier on the eyes.

the game neither looks like 60FPS nor does it feel like it.

it is however responsive, maybe close to how responsive NFSHP was.

No need to undermine that achievement by coming out with this nonsense.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Wait, so it "feels" like 60fps but action games shouldn't be 60 fps because they "can have a tiring effect on players' eyes"?

Wait, so Capcom wont to hurt our eyes twice? What the hell? How does Capcom get away with such doublespeak nonsense in these interviews.

Maybe it's just because I woke up five minutes ago and this is the first thing I've seen this morning

But right now this seems like it may be the most bananas thing I've heard from a publisher all year, maybe among the most bananas of the generation

I swear the way Capcom has spoken about this game since it's reveal makes me want it to underpeform so hard to knock some sense into them. I hope Revengeance Crushes the shit out of it.

omonimo

Banned
Proper motion blur can make a game look like it's running at 60 at a glance but nothing could ever replace the responsiveness of actually running at that framerate. I do hope Digital Foundry does an input lag test though. With NFS: MW breaking the 100ms at 30fps barrier I'm curious if NT tried that with DmC. It would at least give more credence to their claims.

Will not end well knowing NT curriculum.

Xdrive05

Capcom is right. DmC on PC looks and feels like it's running at 60fps, it is actually running at 150fps.

omonimo

Banned
Japanese devs have a way of expressing very stupid reasoning behind their actions (excuses in some cases) in interviews that couldn't possibly be true, at least taken literally. HD towns, etc. Itsuno doesn't look an exception to that.

These threads directed at Capcom inevitably take a turn towards insulting the posters who happen to like Capcom games.

It was just ... irony. :/

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Will not end well knowing NT curriculum.
That's what I figured but I want to see if they a least have somethin to back up their claim. I'm looking forward to this game in it's own right since it looks solid but these comments about 60fps are getting bananas.

AAK

Itsuno had a choice, swallow his pride or lose his job.

Whatever Capcom, you screwed up. Learn from your mistakes (all of them) and start over.

danmaku

jeez Capcom, just say "we want pretty graphics, and they don't go hand in hand with 60 fps". Most of your audience won't even know what you're talking about, anyway.

Alastor

"Our game will be one of the most responsive 30 fps games on the market" would work a lot better with people than "the FEEL of 60 fps", but what do I know.

Fake edit: if it's true, of course.

omonimo

Banned
That would be putting aside all the times you previously called people who liked RE6 delusional, more or less.
Excuse me, what? I have just claimed they have terrible taste, no more. :/ Delusional maybe just for some of them who has to claim the game mechanic how deep & sophisticated, you can blame me for this?

Top Bottom