• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: DmC looks/feels like 60FPS. Also, 60fps is tiring for your eyes, thus 30fps.

omonimo

Banned
I know, but remember to me the last time where UE3 perform equally to 360 counterpart, without noticeable tearing or sensible dips in the fps. It's very tough to be optimist knowing how work UE3 on ps3.

What if what this guy - in a very cack handed way obviously - was describing is frame drops and screen tearing occuring if they attempted to program it at 60fps, but could eliminate them at 30fps. Could this be what he means about it hurting our eyes? Because it just doesn't make sense otherwise.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Aww, and here I was hoping they had implemented that strange frame blending stuff that Lucas Arts showed off a couple years ago. You know, where they used a post processing technique to deliver the look of 60 fps at a much lower cost to the hardware.

Pretty experimental, no doubt, and it wasn't even used in TFU2 but it was pretty nifty.

Mr. Fix

Dear Capcom, what the fuck's your problem?

tumblr_lr4seao3ic1qapsfy.gif

Shinta

Banned
I had no issues with Dragon's Dogma, so I'll give it a shot and see what I think. He's not saying it's 60 FPS. He's saying they did a trade off and made it 30, so they could have more dynamic environments, which is a big part of the game. So we'll see how the control responsiveness is at 30 with their new techniques. It's probably fine.

“During the course of the development of Dragon's Dogma we did a lot of experimentation and happened upon some techniques for working with Unreal Engine, some fairly elaborate techniques, that allow for a controller responsiveness that gives the player the feel of 60 frames per second,” Itsuno told Eurogamer.

“So even though you have it running at 30 frames per second, you create the motions and the poses in such a way that the brain will naturally fill in what would have been the extra frames.

“Also, on the players' side, we made some adjustments to the button response and when it's reflected on screen.”

From what I understand, they mean they unbound the controller respons from the framerate cycles, eliminating the typical 133.34ms latency 30fps games have and going for 66.67ms latency instead.

That's kinda cool.

No_Style

Miladesn posted "Capcom says 60fps is not good for your health" on Twitter.

I thought it was a joke at first but here we are.

ArjanN

From a couple of weeks ago:

Finally, Jones also shed some light on the PC version of the game. The Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions run at 30 frames-per-second, but the PC version will run at 60fps and will feature further enhancements over its console counterparts, just like the PC version of Devil May Cry 4.

Excuse me, what? I have just claimed they have terrible taste, no more. :/ Delusional maybe just for some of them who has to claim the game mechanic how deep & sophisticated, you can blame me for this?
Note that you said all that playing the demo only, that is.

Still funny to see people mentioning PG, when vanquish is 30fps.

omonimo

Banned
Aww, and here I was hoping they had implemented that strange frame blending stuff that Lucas Arts showed off a couple years ago. You know, where they used a post processing technique to deliver the look of 60 fps at a much lower cost to the hardware.

Pretty experimental, no doubt, and it wasn't even used in TFU2 but it was pretty nifty.

From what I have understood it was real 60 fps, no? They downscale only the character res to 636x360p (like low buffer) to achieve the 60 fps, isn't it that different to dynamic res of the whole framebuffer. A pity we haven't seen nothing of concrete until now, probably the final result isn't that good.

Just to know, can you remind to me a single person who was disgusted to the demo & he has completely change is opinion after to have tried the final game? Because I missed him.

Me, for example.

I thought the gameplay fragments of the demo felt weak. The whole thing wasn't dropping you on a deattached map to cut it when it gets somewhere interesting. I still could see that I liked the gameplay mechanics, even if they could not be used a lot there.

jaypah

And you dumbasses bought all of those irrelevant GPUs :p

If he's really worried about my health why not drop the game down to 1fps? So long as it still feels like 60 it should work.

omonimo

Banned
Me, for example.

I thought the gameplay fragments of the demo felt weak. The whole thing wasn't dropping you on a deattached map to cut it when it gets somewhere interesting. I still could see that I liked the gameplay mechanics, even if they could not be used a lot there.

Liar :D

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I love how Itsuno has replaced Tameem Antoniades as the public figure head for this title

Reception of the latter got so bad they decided to just put the director of the old games in his place.

I don't really understand the comments so I can't get too mad at them.

I have alot of respect for Itsuno though and this isn't gonna change that. It's his job to sell the thing with his name and pedigree.

tkscz

It plays in 30FPS, but it FEELS like 60FPS, Thanks Capcom.

Seriously, does it sound like an ad to anyone else?

Soodes

Before making it look like 60 FPS they should try and make it look like stable 30 FPS (played the demo of it, lots and lots of frame drops :( )

.la1n

I'm scared about ps3 state now.

This statement in response to Vanquish makes absolutely no sense.

Vanquish is Platinum's own engine which in turn Platinum is it's own separate development studio. DmC is published / co-developed by Capcom with Ninja Theory, a completely different developer using a completely different engine (UE3.)

So yes you have every right to scared about the state of the game on PS3 given Capcom's incompetency with any engine outside their own, hell Dragon's Dogma was far from perfect and that is MT framework. It just has nothing to do with Vanquish. At all.

Xater

Before making it look like 60 FPS they should try and make it look like stable 30 FPS (played the demo of it, lots and lots of frame drops :( )

If the final game still looks like tha tit would not surprise anyone. Just look at their previous titles.

omonimo

Banned
I played it. Subpar.

I didn't, but using that as a basis for an argument is pointless as it is subjective and comes down to player preference

Last OT just to be clear; I'm not trying to change is opinion, but RE6 smell of 'broken' from the demo & the walkthrough don't change my feeling, unfortunately. Further more, a lot of people in the OP reported how terrible is it, to be more cynic, most the people who appreciate it never criticizes the demo mechanics, so it's tough to trust them.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Last OT just to be clear; I'm not trying to change is opinion, but RE6 smell of 'broken' from the demo & the walkthrough don't change my feeling, unfortunately. Further more, a lot of people in the OP reported how terrible is it, to be more cynic, most the people who appreciate it never criticize really the demo mechanics, so it's tough to trust them.

I'm pretty sure the different interpretation of the series is a major contributing factor.

JoeFenix

Oh god, they really need to learn to shut the fuck up about this "feel of 60 fps" nonsense.

Who do they think they're fooling? Seriously that quote about eyes getting tired is so offensive I don't even know what to say!

Can this stupid game go away already?

Soodes

If the final game still looks like tha tit would not surprise anyone. Just look at their previous titles.

Yep, recently finished enslaved. Great story and decent gameplay, but the ridiculous framerate drops completely ruined it for me.

omonimo

Banned
I'm pretty sure the different interpretation of the series is a major contributing factor
Well, I don't know, honestly. RE4 has different controls, mechanics etc etc but never feel 'broken' in my hands, everything it's perfectly calibrate. RE6 indeed is so chaotic in ... 'everything'. end of the OT.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
“So even though you have it running at 30 frames per second, you create the motions and the poses in such a way that the brain will naturally fill in what would have been the extra frames.

“Also, on the players' side, we made some adjustments to the button response and when it's reflected on screen.”

Itsuno said action games that run at 60 frames per second can have a tiring effect on players' eyes after a long time because the frames themselves “almost shake or flash”. Because of this, “adjusting the speed is almost necessary”.

iGMFPIso1LeUf.gif

Foffy

Banned
Wish I had words to grasp how stupid that claim is, but this video summarizes how I feel about the "tiring" effect 60fps has on the eyes. Apparently that didn't matter much to Itsuno, who was involved with DMC 2-4, all of which are 60 fps during gameplay. Why the change of heart? ;)

Top Bottom