• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia: PS4 specs are low end CPU and mid range GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
pjsalt.png

pjsalt.png

pjsalt.png

Alchemy

I have a decently high end GPU, and it doesn't have 8GB of VRAM. The PS4 won't get all that RAM for the GPU, but what is best PC option? I believe 6GB of VRAM for $1k in the Titan? The RAM is going to have a big impact.

Keslord

Banned
Love how everyone is screaming that they're salty about things just because they're badmouthing a Sony product.

poisonelf

Well, what should he have said when asked on the issue?

Not state the facts? Lie so that console enthusiasts don't feel bad? Decline to comment?

Limit

For their price range PS4 and 720 will be respectably powerful. Can't expect $500 consoles to match PCs where the GPU alone costs same or more than the entire console.

UFRA

Who buys a console thinking, "herp derp, gonna blow all high end gaming PC's outta the water with this, AND it's going to continue to do so for 10 years straight with no hardware upgrades!!"

2San

I just got a 7870 for my PC and I'm by no means an enthusiast. It is a very affordable card I think. Definitely low-mid in the pc realm.
Yeah while low-mid range, it's still a good card and can handle most games at high settings.

Triple U

Banned
ITT people learn that saltiness and accuracy are not mutually exclusive.

Any way, Nvidia sure has gone out of its way to shit on consoles after getting dropped a consecutive time.

Sethos

Banned
I have a decently high end GPU, and it doesn't have 8GB of VRAM. The PS4 won't get all that RAM for the GPU, but what is best PC option? I believe 6GB of VRAM for $1k in the Titan? The RAM is going to have a big impact.

It's easy to pick up a 4GB+ GPU today, that's about what the PS4 GPU will see under normal operation, probably a bit less.

Who buys a console thinking, "herp derp, gonna blow all high end gaming PC's outta the water with this, AND it's going to continue to do so for 10 years straight with no hardware upgrades!!"

You haven't met 8GB GDDR5 GAF.

jerd

Also, this seems closer to PR than salt. Just touting PCs. No different than one console company jabbing another. They're basically direct competition now (PCs and consoles I mean).

Salsa

a lot of people if GAF's anything to go by

It's easy to pick up a 4GB+ GPU today, that's about what the PS4 GPU will see under normal operation, probably a bit less.

I honestly think we'll be able to manage most of the gen with 2GB, if the ports are good.

ReaperXL7

Ehh, devs seem pretty happy with the specs of the PS4, so this does not really bother me when pretty much every game released will be built for consoles first, many only being on consoles.

I think the only one crying is AMD with the amount of money they're losing.

They still have 3 console contracts on lock. There is nothing to be sad about that. nVidia is dominating them but they don't want AMD to rear their head back into their picture, and these consoles are their ticket back into the picture.

nVidia knows this, that's why they damage control, then try to sell some ugly piece of shit as a gaming device.

Sheroking

its called stating facts

If it's debatable, it's at best an informed opinion.

Really, though, skewed as if PC and closed box are directly comparable. The 360 GPU is not low-end right now, it's no-end. It's PC comparable won't even let you open a current game, and yet the 360 is handling versions of these games that are basically equivalent to somewhere between low-medium settings at ~720p (or slightly less). Any high end GPU would yield better results in a closed box than in a PC.

And really, PS4's greatest strength is memory bandwidth - which no current gaming PC can compete with right now.

Sethos

Banned
They still have 3 console contracts on lock. There is nothing to be sad about that. nVidia is dominating them but they don't want AMD to rear their head back into their picture, and these consoles are their ticket back into the picture.

You'd be surprised how small the profit margins are in selling a design.

...as if it's accurate to compare console and PC specs 1:1? Anyone have that Carmack twitter quote handy? Stop comparing the specs 1:1, it just doesn't work like that.

Really, though, skewed as if PC and closed box are directly comparable. The 360 GPU is not low-end right now, it's no-end. It's PC comparable won't even let you open a current game, and yet the 360 is handling versions of these games that are basically equivalent to medium settings at ~720p (or slightly less). Any high end GPU would yield better results in a closed box than in a PC.
This.

diamount

Banned

nVidia knows this, that's why they damage control, then try to sell some ugly piece of shit as a gaming device.

nVidia declining Sony/Microsoft's offer should tell you something. It's obvious AMD got the short end of the stick for those contracts, but hey some money is better than none.

He's still stating a fact.

But they do not need to point this out. It changes from if a developer, Patcher, or a journalist comments on something. If Sony's competitor, Microsoft, made this comment then this wouldn't seem so salty. It would come off as them trying to downplay the PS4 and promote their new console. It all depends on what position in the industry you are in.

Acosta

Saaaaaaaaaaaaalty.

Are you out of the console business "for better"? Godspeed, now shut the fuck up about them, focus on your stuff and don't ridicule yourself more.

Ushae

Banned
Dat salt..

His comments make me chuckle, like everyone and their grandma can afford to have a top end GPU solution. Yeah its nice, but its not cost effective in the slightest.

El_Chino

By having dedicated developers coding to a single configuration?

Oh I know, but just seems as if NVIDIA doesn't think the PS4 (or the next Xbox for that matter) will pull of anything impressive. Didn't they themselves screw Sony on the GPU for the PS3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom