• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia: PS4 specs are low end CPU and mid range GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
But how did "low to mid-end hardware" pull this off then?

iSylqprP2LVet.gif

Because that is what low to mid end 2012 PC hardware is capable of. Sorry if you've been stuck with 2005 tech for 8 years, technology does progress in the intervening years, in case you hadn't worked this out.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I will say the quote that PS4's GPU is "a low- to mid-range GPU" seems a bit pessimistic, no?

Well he's right, they are using the weaker gpu brand and a very weak CPU.

It seems that gddr is the new fairy dust to the brand fans though. The new cell.

The specs for the consoles are too middling next gen. Makes me likely to just stick back with the PC.

Salsa

Analysis seems to show that it would run higher if unlocked. Plus it's like alpha code for a launch title.

game has a static-ass background, a fixed perspective, low res textures on the far away buildings

even if you unlock that framerate it woudlnt reach 60, hence why they chose 30

it's impressive as heck when compared to a PS3 game, it is pretty underwhelming when compared to something like Crysis

I could run that thing at 60fps on my PC right now. Most of us could.

Because that is what low to mid end 2012 PC hardware is capable of. Sorry if you've been stuck with 2005 tech for 8 years, technology does progress in the intervening years, in case you hadn't worked this out.

Are you serious? I have a low-to-mid end PC hardware, and it can't pull anything like that off.

Triple U

Banned
Yeah sure that's what the hardware is capable of, just not in a windows PC...

Piggus

Didn't we already know this though? I feel like gaf has been saying this for months...

I just got a 7870 for my PC and I'm by no means an enthusiast. It is a very affordable card I think. Definitely low-mid in the pc realm.

What the hell lol. A $250 GPU is NOT a low-mid range card. This is a low-mid range card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121633

A midrange card is more like the 7850. 7870 is more like upper mid-range. I don't know what kind of weird scale you guys or Nvidia are using for this. Nvidia probably considers the GTX 680 to be "mid range" and the Titan and dual GPU cards to be the only high end cards, which is BS. So no, they're not "stating facts." They're intentionally using misleading terms to make their competition look bad.

Low end PC gpu could be 5 tflops for all it matters since no dev takes advantage of it. Driving a Ferrari around in a congested city street...

30fps is how
Not that I think 30fps is acceptable (it isn't), but enthusiasts bragging about 200 fps on a 60hz monitor is just silly.

You'd be surprised how small the profit margins are in selling a design.

nVidia declining Sony/Microsoft's offer should tell you something. It's obvious AMD got the short end of the stick for those contracts, but hey some money is better than none.

It's not just money. Their APU has a huge chance of taking off. Also, nVidia doesn't "decline" their offer, it's the other way around. MS and Sony asked nVidia if they can get what AMD is giving them for that price. nVidia says no, MS and Sony laugh their way over to AMD.

Also, AMD is proving CPU and GPU in an SoC... something nVidia can't provide.

poisonelf

Pfft.

Current high end GPUs run some games at ultra settings at 30FPS, and Killzone SF looks AT LEAST as good, if not better than all of them.

You do realize that those games are essentially still developed with years old hardware in mind? Ultra settings do not magically upgrade an engine to latest high-end hardware standards.

If a game was written specifically for an i-7 CPU and a 680GTX GPU, then we would know what current high-end games could actually look like.

2San

Oh I know, but just seems as if NVIDIA doesn't think the PS4 (or the next Xbox for that matter) will pull of anything impressive. Didn't they themselves screw Sony on the GPU for the PS3?
I think he knows, he's just saying anything consoles can do, NVIDIA™ gpu's can do better. PC centric companies and gamers are anticipating next gen as well.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is more along the lines of what I was expecting them to say when that "opportunity cost" article came out yesterday

Desaan

There's no doubt NVIDIA has the upper hand on the PC but if your anything like me then you always go price v's performance. I'm not one for building the most powerful desktop as humanly possible and AMD fits into the price/performance niche.

So AMD has got a next gen console under it's belt, makes me wonder if NVIDIA missed out on Microsoft's next platform as well. Would explain the saltiness.

jerd

What the hell lol. A $250 GPU is NOT a low-mid range card. This is a low-mid range card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121633

A midrange card is more like the 7850. 7870 is more like upper mid-range. I don't know what kind of weird scale you guys or Nvidia are using for this. Nvidia probably considers the GTX 680 to be "mid range" and the Titan and dual GPU cards to be the only high end cards, which is BS. So no, they're not "stating facts." They're intentionally using misleading terms to make their competition look bad.

This is another problem. Similar to the console "generation" argument. How do you define "mid range".

El_Chino

Of course technology advances every 6 months and so on but sorry to burst your bubble I haven't seen anything like that excluding Crysis 2, Crysis 3 and Planetside 2.

JJD

You'd be surprised how small the profit margins are in selling a design.

But it still is profit.

And considering all the games designed to run on consoles with their tech you can bet that their PC GPU business will take advantage of the development too.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
My sentiments exactly.

Yup, I'd say in a year it'll be low range even.
There's no way that's gonna happen, because the low range offerings are generally pretty awful. Barely better than integrated graphics. Because of that, even the mid range GPUs from 3 years ago are still midrange.

Sheroking

You do realize that those games are essentially still developed with years old hardware in mind? Ultra settings do not magically upgrade an engine to latest high-end hardware standards.

If a game was written specifically for an i-7 CPU and a 680GTX GPU, then we would know what current high-end games could actually look like.

I made that argument myself in this thread. Built for a closed box environment, the "low" and "medium" end components in the PS4 will outlast current high-end PC components.

i-Lo

Agree with Phosphor112. The ramifications of the hardware will be seen over the next 5 years.

Really...?

I have always stated that comparing consoles to PC is pretty much akin to apples and oranges.

Oh well, I'll just leave the console and PC fanatics to fight it out.

diamount

Banned
Not that I think 30fps is acceptable (it isn't), but enthusiasts bragging about 200 fps on a 60hz monitor is just silly.

It's not just money. Their APU has a huge chance of taking off. Also, nVidia doesn't "decline" their offer, it's the other way around. MS and Sony asked nVidia if they can get what AMD is giving them for that price. nVidia says no, MS and Sony laugh their way over to AMD.

Also, AMD is proving CPU and GPU in an SoC... something nVidia can't provide.

Can't or willingness are two different things. AMD sold out to the Chinese so they're willing to sell their firstborn at this rate.

Eusis

I'm conflicted. I like making fun of tech obsessed true gamers but I also like making fun of hardware companies making fun of technology for not being for tech obsessed true gamers.
Well, I don't see a problem if they keep expectations realistic, but anyone whose followed this for a long time (and just keeps in mind what's reasonable for prices) will understand consoles are always going to be mid range at best relative to contemporary PCs of its time of release. I do find it kind of silly treating them as if they're actually going to match or outclass newly built $1000+ PCs, at best it'll probably be through some esoteric ways, or you simply can't get 60 FPS just yet on PC from them when maxed out at 1080p, nevermind higher.
But how did "low to mid-end hardware" pull this off then?

iSylqprP2LVet.gif
By not worrying about the hardware from 2005 anymore. Most console games have been running at 60 FPS or at least 30+ on higher resolutions than 720p on midrange hardware since about 2007, can you imagine what something even newer and significantly stronger can do without needing to worry about running well on that old hardware, even when it's low end relative to what else is on the consumer market? Actually, I guess you're seeing it right there.

Triple U

Banned
game has a static-ass background, a fixed perspective, low res textures on the far away buildings

even if you unlock that framerate it woudlnt reach 60, hence why they chose 30

it's impressive as heck when compared to a PS3 game, it is pretty underwhelming when compared to something like Crysis

I could run that thing at 60fps on my PC right now. Most of us could.
Crysis 3 has static backgrounds what is your point?

Also, congrats on being one of the 5% of gamers with GPUs that are past the PS4s. Too bad you don't matter in the scheme of things.

TheDanger

Banned
What if I don't want to upgrade every two years ? I'm buying a console every ten years and I never have to worry about anything else, I just pop in the disc and play. God I'm so glad I'm not a graphics whore, this way I can save a lot of money and stress. No offense to PC players, to each their own.

They still have 3 console contracts on lock. There is nothing to be sad about that. nVidia is dominating them but they don't want AMD to rear their head back into their picture, and these consoles are their ticket back into the picture.

nVidia knows this, that's why they damage control, then try to sell some ugly piece of shit as a gaming device.
Holy shit, how did I miss this? ROFL GOD DAMN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom