• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holy SHIT. Guillermo Del Toro is collaborating with HBO on MONSTER manga adaptation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that Monster. The Dr. Tenma MONSTER.
wyBTiKP.jpg

Brilliant doctor Kenzo Tenma risks his reputation and promising career to save the life of a critically wounded young boy. Unbeknownst to him, this child is destined for a terrible fate. Conspiracies, serial murders, and a scathing depiction of the underbelly of hospital politics are all masterfully woven together in this compelling manga thriller.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/guillermo-del-toro-is-hatching-a-monster-of-a-series-at-hbo/

EXCLUSIVE: HBO and Guillermo del Toro are teaming on Monster, developing a potential series culled from a series of 18 volumes of Japanese Manga by author Naoki Urasawa published by Shogakukan Inc. Del Toro will co-write the story with Steven Thompson, best known for his work on Dr. Who and Sherlock. Thompson will write the pilot, which del Toro intends to direct. The thriller is about the worldwide search by a young doctor for the most evil sociopath that has ever lived. He is a 12-year old boy, and the doctor’s decision to save his life has unwittingly unleashed a Pandora’s Box that leaves the doc battling to stop a plot of mass genocide. This is certainly a departure for HBO, entering the Manga game, but for del Toro and Thompson, it allows them an incredible sandbox to play in. Del Toro will be executive producer and Thompson co-executive producer, with Angry Films’ partners Don Murphy and Susan Montford executive producing with Exile’s Gary Ungar. Shogakukan will be consulting producer.

Del Toro attaches his name to a bunch of projects that never see the light of day. Don't get your hopes up. I'm still waiting for Troll Hunters, Haunted Mansion, etc.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Pretty much every manga this guy does is gold. Hope this happens.

Quite true, but those three are his best, and pretty much three of the best Manga ever. At least for me. Happy is fun but totally different and I haven't really gotten into Billy Bat, and while Master Keaton is good its just random one offs so there isn't any kind of build up or payoff which is what makes most of his work is so amazing.

Stephen Thompson has a sketchy track record. He nailed the finale of Sherlock but turned in one of the most boring Doctor Who episodes in years last series. If this Saturday's episode is as good as it seems, I'll get excited...

...presuming the del Toro curse doesn't strike again.

Del Toro attaches his name to a bunch of projects that never see the light of day. Don't get your hopes up. I'm still waiting for Troll Hunters, Haunted Mansion, etc.

Yes, but if you read the article, Del Toro hasn't just attached his name. He's been actively pursuing it:

This project was originally set at New Line, but proved too sprawling to confined to a feature film. It took del Toro a long time to woo creator Urasawa into being comfortable with Hollywood again, which sounds a lot like the process that D.B. Weiss and David Benioff went through with George R.R. Martin before they could get Game Of Thrones off the ground at HBO.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
omgomgomgomgomgomgomg

Even if it isn't him in the end an HBO Monster adaptation would be soooooooooooo fucking awesome.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I guess it make sense since the story is set in western world. I wonder if they will use an Asian as the main character.

Socreges

Banned
EXCLUSIVE: HBO and Guillermo del Toro are teaming on Monster, developing a potential series culled from a series of 18 volumes of Japanese Manga by author Naoki Urasawa published by Shogakukan Inc. Del Toro will co-write the story with Steven Thompson, best known for his work on Dr. Who and Sherlock. Thompson will write the pilot, which del Toro intends to direct. The thriller is about the worldwide search by a young doctor for the most evil sociopath that has ever lived. He is a 12-year old boy, and the doctor’s decision to save his life has unwittingly unleashed a Pandora’s Box that leaves the doc battling to stop a plot of mass genocide. This is certainly a departure for HBO, entering the Manga game, but for del Toro and Thompson, it allows them an incredible sandbox to play in. Del Toro will be executive producer and Thompson co-executive producer, with Angry Films’ partners Don Murphy and Susan Montford executive producing with Exile’s Gary Ungar. Shogakukan will be consulting producer.
Won't this be live action, though? So they wouldn't truly be entering the manga game? The fact that it's HBO makes me instantly interested, but I'm hoping it isn't animated.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Quite true, but those three are his best, and pretty much three of the best Manga ever. At least for me. Happy is fun but totally different and I haven't really gotten into Billy Bat, and while Master Keaton is good its just random one offs so there isn't any kind of build up or payoff which is what makes most of his work is so amazing.

Billy Bat is pretty good and I loved the Master Keaton cartoon. Haven't checked Happy out.

Won't this be live action, though? So they wouldn't truly be entering the manga game? The fact that it's HBO makes me instantly interested, but I'm hoping it isn't animated.

They just mean they're adapting manga for the first time. For Game of Thrones they would have said "entering the fantasy fiction game"

iammeiam

During episode, like, two of the anime I started asking why there wasn't a live-action US remake of this yet. It's perfect.

This also might boost the chances of getting the rest of the anime out on DVD here, instead of just on streaming.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean by making Kenzo white.

For some reason I'm imagining they'd keep him Asian but make the setting America or something so that they could have everyone speaking English plausibly.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They'd have to do some real story gymnastics to set it in America, I mean a lot of the plot is relevant because it's set in Germany.

Nothing you couldn't change. I'm not saying it would be better that way (obviously it would be worse), but I could see it happening. You'd have to just get the audience to accept that they are in Germany but everyone speaks English otherwise.

I forgot about Master Keaton. Too good.

harSon

Banned
For some reason I'm imagining they'd keep him Asian but make the setting America or something so that they could have everyone speaking English plausibly.

Lol!

Ain't happening buddy, unless they make Kenzō a martial arts master. But there's probably a 95% chance that the main character is going to be white. It's just the way it is unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom