• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holy SHIT. Guillermo Del Toro is collaborating with HBO on MONSTER manga adaptation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could see this being amazing. It's an enjoyable plot that I could totally see transferring into real actors. As long as the casting is good I would be so down. lol just remembered Lunge. Loved that thing he did with his hand.

7Th

Not nearly as exciting as something Pluto-related would be but I guess that wouldn't really work outside of animation unless it had a sizable budget.

Socreges

Banned
I'm sure the article refers to pursuing manga source material.

They just mean they're adapting manga for the first time. For Game of Thrones they would have said "entering the fantasy fiction game"
Right. It's just a weird sentence then. My point is that, at least in my opinion, the source medium doesn't matter as much as the author suggests. Saying that this is "certainly a departure for HBO" seems appropriate to describe the ultimate product, not the source medium.

Dresden

Well, Tenma certainly isn't going to be Asian. We can't have Asian leads in big-time TV shows.

Looking forward to Dr. Kenneth Tenner, a young American doctor working at Eisler Memorial Hospital in Düsseldorf in 1986.

KdoubleA

Nothing you couldn't change. I'm not saying it would be better that way (obviously it would be worse), but I could see it happening. You'd have to just get the audience to accept that they are in Germany but everyone speaks English otherwise.

Kinda worked for Valkyrie, no?

I don't think they would do it in America. They have no problem shooting GoT in Ireland. Besides, it's such an intimate story, that they wouldn't require the same kind of large-scale casts crews and effects as some of their other shows. They could shoot in Germany.

Well, Tenma certainly isn't going to be Asian. We can't have Asian leads in big-time TV shows.

Looking forward to Dr. Kenneth Tenner, a young American doctor working at Eisler Memorial Hospital in Düsseldorf in 1986.

Eh. It is to be expected.

Hopefully will still be great. Maybe they could make the ending better.

duckroll

I expect it to be kinda bad. Del Toro isn't a subtle man, and HBO isn't a subtle network. The best parts of Monster are the more subtle parts of the storyline where a lot of implied or suggested by what the characters don't know and don't directly see, which creates an ongoing tension for the series. The more dramatic parts of the series are arguably the weakest. The writer is not a terrible piece of shit at least, but I don't for a moment trust Del Toro to set a good tone for this series. The less hands on he is and the less he has to do with the direction of the show, the better. :p

JCreasy

I see you HBO . . .

tumblr_m3vpwlFfxW1r26asdo1_400.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Now that I think about it, I'm not sure how this fits on HBO anyways. Monster doesn't have any sex or violence in it.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Lol!

Ain't happening buddy, unless they make Kenzō a martial arts master. But there's probably a 95% chance that the main character is going to be white. It's just the way it is unfortunately.

It's HBO not a network. I don't see why they wouldn't keep an asian guy as Tenma. The most I can see them doing is something like having him be half asian/german which could be used as a reason he came to Germany.

I remember the ending being a kind of cool, stand-off in a little town sort of setup that I really liked unless you guys have a problem with the final panel of
Johan escaping the hospital

Eh, they do the same thing in Japan and Korea with American/UK adaptations.

I, for one, will be indignant about the lack of Germans in the film! Indignant, I tell you!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Lol!

Ain't happening buddy, unless they make Kenzō a martial arts master. But there's probably a 95% chance that the main character is going to be white. It's just the way it is unfortunately.

Being Asian isn't really relevant to the story, but being a recognizable foreigner sort of is.

MW by Tezuka Osamu. Monster was actually heavily inspired by it.
Interesting. I haven't read Monster yet, but MW was bleak even for late-period Tezuka. I'd like to see someone adapt that, if not Monster.

Actually, there is a movie version of MW, though it's very recent and, most likely, a waste of the original story

duckroll

But the anime has this wonderful, nihilistic, melancholic mood about it. Fuck it's been a long time since I watched Monster.

It's a shot by shot adaptation of the manga with music and voice acting. Really boring imo. It's like watching those shot by shot film remakes with a new cast and more budget. Definitely prefer the manga many times over.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Very interesting. I could see this being cool if it ever gets off the ground. HBO drama development hasn't let much through recently. I think the only thing picked up to series over the last year and a half is True Detective. At least the pilot for The Missionary is supposed to shoot soon.

duckroll

Very interesting. I could see this being cool if it ever gets off the ground. HBO drama development hasn't let much through recently. I think the only thing picked up to series over the last year and a half is True Detective. At least the pilot for The Missionary is supposed to shoot soon.

What happened to American Gods? :(

harSon

Banned
Being Asian isn't really relevant to the story, but being a recognizable foreigner sort of is.

I never said it wasn't, but if it's between casting an Asian actor or reworking the story a bit, I fully expect HBO to do the latter. Even if HBO wanted to keep the main character Japanese or Asian, there's not really a dramatic Asian actor that's recognizable to a Western audience, and that's due to Hollywood's refusal to represent Asian actors in meaningful non-martial arts roles. Knowing how the industry works, I just don't see them keeping the adaptation faithful in that regard.

And it's not like the industry is worried about fucking with the logic of the source material. For example, Neil Gaiman refused to have his novel Anansi Boys adapted because the entity in question wanted to have the black main characters cast as white, which literally fucks with the underlying logic of the novel.

Loofy

If its set in germany then wouldnt everyone have to be speaking german? So I dont think thats happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom