• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holy SHIT. Guillermo Del Toro is collaborating with HBO on MONSTER manga adaptation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I read a bit of this manga. Was it the one about a kid trapped into a tunnel after and earthquake or something? I never got far because it was something I picked up from the library while I was waiting for someone.

If its set in germany then wouldnt everyone have to be speaking german? So I dont think thats happening.

No...?

The dub of Evangelion has everyone speaking English, but in-universe it is made clear that they are speaking Japanese.

The audience is smart enough to realize it is being aired in their native language for convenience.

JDSN

Banned
Oh shit awesome, and thanks to HBO it will not be horribly paced. CASTING MODE!

Inspector Lunge:
Jason-Isaacs-Case-Histories.jpg

Dascu

I think I read a bit of this manga. Was it the one about a kid trapped into a tunnel after and earthquake or something? I never got far because it was something I picked up from the library while I was waiting for someone.

That sounds like Dragon Head, actually.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off

No, that was Demon Head(I think). Someone recommended it to me after I asked for something similar to Monster. Was very disappointed.

Edit: ^ Dragon!

jgminto

There's no way to get the full english dub of Monster on DVD right? It'd be cool if this got enough interest for them to release the full show.

duckroll

Here's what I predict will happen. One year from now, someone will bump this thread asking what happened to the project. A few people will reply with "AWESOME!" thinking it's a new thread. Then someone will go "jeez why did you do that?" in reply to the bump. And that's the last we'll hear about it again.

Loofy

No...?

The dub of Evangelion has everyone speaking English, but in-universe it is made clear that they are speaking Japanese.

The audience is smart enough to realize it is being aired in their native language for convenience.
Thats a cartoon though. Hollywood hasnt done the whole 'have everyone speak english but assume theyre speaking the native language' thing in awhile unless its a period piece(ancient rome with english accents). Its just so corny now. Even Enemy at the Gates is hilarious to watch.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Thats a cartoon though. Hollywood hasnt done the whole 'have everyone speak english but assume theyre speaking the native language' thing in awhile unless its a period piece(ancient rome with english accents). Its just so corny now. Watch Enemy at the Gates for example, its hilarious.

Check out Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Wallander was also really good.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
All I ask is for the guy who looks like Wilford Brimley to be played by Wilford Brimley.

Isn't he super old? But yeah, me and my wife referred to that guy as Wilford Brimley pretty much 100% of the time.

East Lake

I read the manga but I honestly can't remember much of it. I remember being constantly blueballed by this author in 20th Century Boys or Monster about some mystery identity/killer, but I can't remember which.

Kite

I'm thrilled, always said that Monster is one of a very few anime that would work even better as a live action tv series!

RedSwirl

Thats a cartoon though. Hollywood hasnt done the whole 'have everyone speak english but assume theyre speaking the native language' thing in awhile unless its a period piece(ancient rome with english accents). Its just so corny now. Even Enemy at the Gates is hilarious to watch.

They still do it though. Someone already mentioned Valkyrie. Audiences are still smart enough to understand this.

Here's what I predict will happen. One year from now, someone will bump this thread asking what happened to the project. A few people will reply with "AWESOME!" thinking it's a new thread. Then someone will go "jeez why did you do that?" in reply to the bump. And that's the last we'll hear about it again.
And then 6 months after that a topic will be made about how Nolan has taken over the project.

GAF rejoices and whiners whine like children. And then a Batman debate ensues.

ArjanN

No offense, but IMO there are a lot more exciting manga to adapt. Monster kind of felt like it never had to be a manga in the first place.

Replicant

Did Mumei pass out from seeing this news?
MbPIjBb.png

Mumei say something if you're okay.

Hiroyuki Sanada or Tadanobu Asano for lead.

That'd be the 1st for Hollywood to cast asian actor in the lead role. I'll be very impressed if that happens but I won't be holding my breath.

They still do it though. Someone already mentioned Valkyrie. Audiences are still smart enough to understand this.

Valkyrie is a fucking terrible example because they all speak British in the film, while Cruise is speaking in an American accent.

Schindler's List is a better example. Everybody is speaking in a German or Polish accent.

Accents!

I don't think they would do it in America. They have no problem shooting GoT in Ireland. Besides, it's such an intimate story, that they wouldn't require the same kind of large-scale casts crews and effects as some of their other shows. They could shoot in Germany.

People in Ireland speak English.

duckroll

And then 6 months after that a topic will be made about how Nolan has taken over the project.

GAF rejoices and whiners whine like children. And then a Batman debate ensues.

And then someone mentions Inception, and an argument about Paprika starts. After a few weeks, HBO announces that they're shelving this entire project because Del Toro has lost interest and committed to a new film about real monsters mud wrestling each other instead, and they unveil a mini-series based on Millennium Actress produced by Darren Aronofsky.

Necrovex

Holy shit, one of my favorite manga/anime being turned out a HBO show. I never imagine something like this could even be a possibility. Plus I dig Del Toro a lot.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

So it'll be like Darren Aronofsky's Hobgoblin, which he's indicated he basically hasn't touched upon since Noah gained traction.

For that matter, also his Riverview Towers, which popped up once when a development deal was signed at HBO, and a second time when it moved to AMC.

wow this is neat

This manga could actually turn out amazing if translated into something live action. Can't wait to see what comes of it.
I still haven't watched the anime yet. I'll probably get around to it soon.
It's a slow burn at first, but it's one of the best shows the medium has to offer.

HBO is on a roll, it would be totally awesome if they could pull this off. I've often heard about the manga, but now I'm even more curious about it... Time for another title on my "to read" list!

I really should finish Monster one of these days. After finishing 20th Century Boys and currently reading Billy Bat, I've grown used to Urasawa's brand of bullshit. The guy knows how to churn out solid 7/10 series.

Like what?

That's like asking "what's a good book?". It is a MASSIVE medium and one of the dominant ones in Japan aimed at every single demographic. IMO, there's a shitton of stuff better than Monster out there.

Easy tiger, I'm just looking for recommendations.

I was basically asking what kind of stuff you like, but yeah, sorry if that came off a bit strong/elitist.

Anyway, I'd check out other stuff by the author of Monster. 20th Century Boys, Pluto, Billy Bat. It's all good. Haven't read Pluto, but heard good things. Just keep in mind those are more convoluted than Monster.

Other than that, I'd need genre preferences and stuff like that.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
I was basically asking what kind of stuff you like, but yeah, sorry if that came off a bit strong/elitist.

Anyway, I'd check out other stuff by the author of Monster. 20th Century Boys, Pluto, Billy Bat. It's all good. Haven't read Pluto, but heard good things.

Other than that, I'd need genre preferences and stuff like that.

Sorry,dude. I am interested in mature thrillers rooted in reality. Stuff that doesn't have to much supernatural crap. Trying to get into manga makes my head spin.

I am really liking Rainbow by George Abe.

Igo

I'm down for this. Wasn't really sure whether I wanted a live action adaptation, but watching Monster week to week with friends was some of the most fun i've ever hard watching anime. This could be fucking brilliant if done right.

I like Del Toro, but his talents lie more in the depiction of fantastic worlds than the somber character drama that makes up much of Monster. I have doubts about how well this would turn out, if it even turns out at all.

Well, in all honesty Monster is his easiest manga to understand and follow.

Nah, Master Keaton is easier, simply by virtue of not having an ongoing storyline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom