• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMORPG.com gets sneak peek at Everquest Next at E3. Calls it best of show.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Considering PS2 was of low enough quality that even though I really liked PS1 I didn't care for it to a level that I completely dropped it then yes I do think it will be cheaply made should it go f2p.

And all of there games went f2p cause they are old as hell and no longer compelling enough to warrant the sub which is fine and absolutely normal. That is when you move on and make a new game that IS compelling enough to warrant a sub.

It's cool if you are a fan of the f2p model but I am not, never have been and never will be. I despise everything it is and everything it stands for and I just posted to express my displeasure that another series I previously loved is moving away from the kinds of things I want from a game. I don't expect everyone to feel the same way or like the same things.

It's cool that you are not into F2P, but throwing out information such as "And all of there games went f2p cause they are old as hell and no longer compelling enough to warrant the sub" is inaccurate. Those are not opinions, you are stating that all F2P games are "crap" and aren't good enough to require a sub, because you don't like them. Well, there are many F2P games out there that make a fuck ton of money, LoL, WoT, etc.

It's cool that you are not into F2P, but throwing out information such as "And all of there games went f2p cause they are old as hell and no longer compelling enough to warrant the sub" is inaccurate. Those are not opinions, you are stating that all F2P games are "crap" and aren't good enough to require a sub, because you don't like them. Well, there are many F2P games out there that make a fuck ton of money, LoL, WoT, etc.

Well I mean, I like to think any kind of comment like that would be seen as laced all over in opinion and that is my actual opinion on f2p games. I get that people enjoy them and find them quality or else they wouldn't be popular.

Any time anyone states something you take as "all of x type of game are crap / low quality" then its pretty much a dead give away that its entirely opinion.

kodt

Banned
Well, of course, their whole awards are about MMORPGs to being with.

How many MMOs were even shown? Not many that I recall.

So it beat The Division? Considering the praise that game is getting, that's saying something don't you think?

Yeah, well The Division is an MMO but does not necessarily fit the typical MMORPG bill, which is a good thing, but that combined with the fact that it is not officially coming to PC may cause it to be less important in the eyes of a site that focuses on PC MMORPGs. Also, from what I have read it does not sound like a true persistent world MMO. Each person has their own game, if you join someone else's game, the game world reverts to wherever they are in the quest line.

From what I have seen and read, it sounds like you can play solo, or coop (with a group of 2-5 people or so) and there are also multiplayer zones with larger player counts, but it sounds as if you are on your own game world. There aren't massive persistent servers with thousands of players in the same world at the same time.

I could be wrong though.

Iadien

Well I mean, I like to think any kind of comment like that would be seen as laced all over in opinion and that is my actual opinion on f2p games. I get that people enjoy them and find them quality or else they wouldn't be popular.

Any time anyone states something you take as "all of x type of game are crap / low quality" then its pretty much a dead give away that its entirely opinion.

Not when you add, games are F2P because they're not good enough for a sub.

wildfire

Banned
How many MMOs were even shown? Not many that I recall.

Yeah, well The Division is an MMO but does not necessarily fit the typical MMORPG bill, which is a good thing, but that combined with the fact that it is not officially coming to PC may cause it to be less important in the eyes of a site that focuses on PC MMORPGs. Also, from what I have read it does not sound like a true persistent world MMO. Each person has their own game, if you join someone else's game, the game world reverts to wherever they are in the quest line.

From what I have seen and read, it sounds like you can play solo, or coop (with a group of 2-5 people or so) and there are also multiplayer zones with larger player counts, but it sounds as if you are on your own game world. There aren't massive persistent servers with thousands of players in the same world at the same time.

I could be wrong though.

You are since they gave Destiny an award.

Best Hybrid MMO: Destiny

Activision and Bungie are not keen on calling this one an MMO, but let’s be honest... there’s not much different between “persistent world shooter” and “MMO” other than the acronym. We were treated in person to a live gameplay demo, and while it’s still up in the air just how far the persistent world aspects go, Bungies massively open world shooter takes everything Defiance was aiming for and does it with much more aplomb and beauty. This is one we cannot wait to get our hands on, even if it is only on the consoles at first. It’s absolutely stunning in every regard, and should be at the top of any shooter/RPG/MMO fan’s watch-list.​

Not when you add, games are F2P because they're not good enough for a sub.

Those games weren't which was the entire reason they went f2p in the first place. If they were good enough to have a large amount of subs they would have stayed sub based.

There is a big difference between games going from sub to f2p and games developed from the ground up as a f2p game. If a game that was built with the intention of being a sub based mmo goes f2p due to waning sub numbers then that is entirely based on the perceived quality vs the monthly price of the player base.

I would give you disputing the actual level of quality of the games, but them going f2p because they could no longer cut it as a sub based game seems pretty obvious to me.

Any level of quality I stated or inferred for a game built with f2p in mind is entirely my opinion but the fact that sub based games moving to f2p is due to them no longer being able to stay compelling enough to maintain the sub numbers to stay profitable seems alot less opinion based to me.

Ashodin

I'm so stoked for this. Seriously. Everything I've been hearing about the game and the connotations of having storybricks in the game sound amazing.

Those games weren't which was the entire reason they went f2p in the first place. If they were good enough to have a large amount of subs they would have stayed sub based.

There is a big difference between games going from sub to f2p and games developed from the ground up as a f2p game. If a game that was built with the intention of being a sub based mmo goes f2p due to waning sub numbers then that is entirely based on the perceived quality vs the monthly price of the player base.

I would give you disputing the actual level of quality of the games, but them going f2p because they could no longer cut it as a sub based game seems pretty obvious to me.

Any level of quality I stated or inferred for a game built with f2p in mind is entirely my opinion but the fact that sub based games moving to f2p is due to them no longer being able to stay compelling enough to maintain the sub numbers to stay profitable seems alot less opinion based to me.

My only problem with non Pay-To-Win F2P is the expectations. "When is this going to go F2P" or "This isn't good enough for box 'n sub but I'd play if it was F2P" That's a bad mentality for such a persistant, people-driven genre, ya know? Plus it taints the honest F2Ps out there slightly.

gogojira

It will likely be on PS4 at some point, but I wouldn't count on it in the near future. I'd say give it at least a year on PC first.

I wish this would come from a more reputable place, but either way it's good news. I absolutely can't wait for EverQuest Next. Hell, I'm taking a day off on August 2 for the big unveil.

Everquest online adventures was my videogame crack back in the day. If they bring this new one to ps4 too ill be there day fucking one.

You and me both bro. Ferran's Hope represent! I loved that game to fucking death, if this is on PS4 i'm in there without a doubt.

I'm so excited for this game, but it being F2P is definitely a downer. The game might be amazing but F2P pretty much ensures the community will be shit since the barrier for entry is well, nothing.

So looking forward to that Freeport chat.

vilmer_

I'm really going to have to decide between EQ Next and Wildstar... Decisions :lol At least we have some promising games coming up to revitalize the genre.

Ryan_

Though, I'm really hyped and optimistic for August, I'm a bit dissapointed that the game will be using the same engine as Planetside 2. That engine is NOT well optimized in any way.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Considering me fucking hyped. I was really hoping that EQ next would be at the show, but assumed that it wouldn't be. I didn't think at all that we'd see it unveiled as early as August. I can't wait!

friz898

Though, I'm really hyped and optimistic for August, I'm a bit dissapointed that the game will be using the same engine as Planetside 2. That engine is NOT well optimized in any way.

Well, I don't have a quote for you. But I remember reading Smed suggesting that Planetside 2 was kind of a test for EQ Next. I mean, they wanted it to be it's own deal, and they're thinking long term with it, but the vibe I got was that they specifically wanted to release PS2 first to work out the kinks on an engine that MUST shine for EQ Next. If you really care, I can probably google and find the reference(s) I'm referring too.

In other words...lets hold out hope that the engine will be good to go.

Ryan_

Well, I don't have a quote for you. But I remember reading Smed suggesting that Planetside 2 was kind of a test for EQ Next. I mean, they wanted it to be it's own deal, and they're thinking long term with it, but the vibe I got was that they specifically wanted to release PS2 first to work out the kinks on an engine that MUST shine for EQ Next. If you really care, I can probably google and find the reference(s) I'm referring too.

In other words...lets hold out hope that the engine will be good to go.

Aha! Thanks for this enlightening info! Makes me all the more optimistic!
Planetside 2 would indeed be a good testing platform in that regard.
It would be very dissapointing if, as is the case with PS2, my friends coudln't play Everquest Next due to lack of optimization.

Xater

I am definitely interested now. It being built as a F2P title right from the start makes me actually more excited. When a dev gets how to do a good F2P model it is such a great experience. I have yet to play an MMO where I thought the model is great though.

Darryl

Banned
sandbox better mean fucking sandbox, too. when they say sandbox they better not mean it to be some buzzword spin they're using for some crowdsourcing shit they made up, "design the MMO for us" crap. it better be a sandbox in the way that fans are using it to describe MMOs. no narrow maps. no quest chains. just throw me in fucking norrath and let me do whatever i want. innovate from there. let me walk to freeport, attempt to sneak past the guards myself, and rob people. no bullshit at all. no need to reinvent the wheel all across the board either, just give me an old school hard-as-nails MMO.

this is really good news to hear about, though. this is easily the game at the top of my list, especially since FFXIV 2.0 is shaping up to be a disappointment. my most hyped for, my highest expectations.

Tomas

Banned
I would be glad to abandon sinking Guild Wars 2 ship... All I ask is for end-game content and occasional but meaningful update. I can not wait to hear more about the next Everquest.

Vestal

Gold Member
I would suggest everyone exercise some caution. This is SOE we are talking about here. Their track record is at best par for the course when it comes to EQ. Lets not forget Luclin, or EQ2s 20+ abilities to press to be competent.

They almost threw the Everquest property down the toilet with some of the design decisions. Lastly lets not also forget that hardly anyone in the team that is working on EQ Next worked on the Original EQ or the best expansions offered(Kunark & Velious).

Even though Mcquaid shit the bed on Vanguard. Arguably he got in over his head trying to manage a studio instead of being a designer, I would love for him to be involved in this to some good extent, since I still think he has a lot to offer from a Design perspective.

Iadien

True, and I already pointed out that there are games that went F2P because they couldn't keep enough subs. You ignored my point, that there are games that switched to F2P because the business model worked better for them, EQ and EQ2 are not games that needed to switch to remain profitable. Before EQ2 switched to completely F2P, there was 1 F2P server (Freeport) that SoE was testing different ideas and gathering information on, and not until many months later did SoE switch the entire game to F2P. Why did SoE do this? It's pretty obvious that the 1 F2P server was showing great results and breathed life into the game.

You seem to be ignoring the success of F2P as a business model, which cannot be overlooked, considering that companies are stating they are making more money now than they ever did with subs. How many MMOs are only subbed base at this point? Not very many. F2P has proven that it is a very viable option and both big and small companies will continue using it until a better business model comes along.

True, and I already pointed out that there are games that went F2P because they couldn't keep enough subs. You ignored my point, that there are games that switched to F2P because the business model worked better for them, EQ and EQ2 are not games that needed to switch to remain profitable. Before EQ2 switched to completely F2P, there was 1 F2P server (Freeport) that SoE was testing different ideas and gathering information on, and not until many months later did SoE switch the entire game to F2P. Why did SoE do this? It's pretty obvious that the 1 F2P server was showing great results and breathed life into the game.

You seem to be ignoring the success of F2P as a business model, which cannot be overlooked, considering that companies are stating they are making more money now than they ever did with subs. How many MMOs are only subbed base at this point? Not very many. F2P has proven that it is a very viable option and both big and small companies will continue using it until a better business model comes along.

Yea, I expect most non-Blizzard MMOs to go F2P either at launch or at some point in their future. LOTRO did really well here, by going F2P but also keeping monthly subscribers (and then having subscribers buy from the store too). That will be the model for future AAA/near-AAA MMOs.

eastmen

Banned
i'll never buy a free to play mmorpg . Even huge p2p games barely have content. If eq3 is f2p I will simply skip it .

Iadien

Yea, I expect most non-Blizzard MMOs to go F2P either at launch or at some point in their future. LOTRO did really well here, by going F2P but also keeping monthly subscribers (and then having subscribers buy from the store too). That will be the model for future AAA/near-AAA MMOs.

Yep.

I think people also need to consider the fact that nowadays there are so many MMOs being released that it would be silly for them to all be subbed base, because there are only so many MMO players out there. When most people sub to a game, they want to play that game as much as possible "to get their money's worth", and most people typically sub to one MMO at a time. There are just too many MMOs out compared to 6+ years ago, if there wasn't so much competition, I believe there would be fewer MMOs going F2P.

Spazznid

i'll never buy a free to play mmorpg . Even huge p2p games barely have content. If eq3 is f2p I will simply skip it .

....I ....I just....wow... I don't even...

well regardless,I don't think they'll miss you,what with all their new customers who prefer the f2p model or who are open to different business models.

potam

Banned
The first time I logged into Everquest, I was a human in Qeynos in the rain. My clipping was all the way down, and I couldn't see shit. I was totally lost. All I had was a note in my inventory telling me to go see my guild master, some food and drink, and the crappy starting sword. That was all they gave you. I think the manual had maps of the cities, but that wasn't too helpful.

I absolutely loved that game. The world felt real and alive. It didn't shove lore down your throat, but you could learn certain details about areas and their relationships to other areas and factions. Nothing was handed to you, you had to earn it.

I hope Smedley & co. succeed.

I'm not ignoring the success of F2P or missing your point, I already said in this thread before that these games went F2P because of the initial huge spike in profit gain over what they were getting from subs. I am just of the opinion that it isn't worth it in the long run considering what I view the games to be giving up once they go F2P.

The success of the model is exactly why it is so frustrating for a MMO player who is entirely put off by the F2P model, if it wasn't successful there would be plenty of new MMOs coming out that had a sub based model for me to choose from instead of all my favorite online centric video game series essentially leaving me behind by going F2P.

Like I said before, I have no issue with F2P existing or that some people prefer that model, my issue is that its all there is to choose from these days in new MMO's that come out and alot of the games I get most excited for end up going that direction which is simply not a direction I enjoy.

Iadien

I am just of the opinion that it isn't worth it in the long run considering what I view the games to be giving up once they go F2P.

The success of the model is exactly why it is so frustrating for a MMO player who is entirely put off by the F2P model, if it wasn't successful there would be plenty of new MMOs coming out that had a sub based model for me to choose from instead of all my favorite online centric video game series essentially leaving me behind by going F2P.

Like I said before, I have no issue with F2P existing or that some people prefer that model, my issue is that its all there is to choose from these days in new MMO's that come out and alot of the games I get most excited for end up going that direction which is simply not a direction I enjoy.

I'm not sure what the games are giving up by going F2P. It sure isn't the amount of content released, at least in the case of EQ1 and EQ2. I have played both EQ1 and EQ2 off and on since they both launched, and I'm seeing more content being released on a regular basis than ever before.

Did you read my post above about the number of MMOs today? I would agree with you, if this was 6 years ago and there weren't too many MMOs to choose from, but today there are hundreds. Most people are going to pick 1 MMO to sub to and that's all, F2P allows people to play many different games and not feel obligated to play the game "to get their money's worth".

sandbox better mean fucking sandbox, too. when they say sandbox they better not mean it to be some buzzword spin they're using for some crowdsourcing shit they made up, "design the MMO for us" crap. it better be a sandbox in the way that fans are using it to describe MMOs. no narrow maps. no quest chains. just throw me in fucking norrath and let me do whatever i want. innovate from there. let me walk to freeport, attempt to sneak past the guards myself, and rob people. no bullshit at all. no need to reinvent the wheel all across the board either, just give me an old school hard-as-nails MMO.

this is really good news to hear about, though. this is easily the game at the top of my list, especially since FFXIV 2.0 is shaping up to be a disappointment. my most hyped for, my highest expectations.

Well, admittedly, EQ1 had quest chains, they just were a lot more involved than "here's my ticket, where's my prize".

I'm actually hoping FFXIV will be decent enough to throw a couple months into.

spirity

I would suggest everyone exercise some caution. This is SOE we are talking about here. Their track record is at best par for the course when it comes to EQ. Lets not forget Luclin, or EQ2s 20+ abilities to press to be competent.

They almost threw the Everquest property down the toilet with some of the design decisions. Lastly lets not also forget that hardly anyone in the team that is working on EQ Next worked on the Original EQ or the best expansions offered(Kunark & Velious).

Even though Mcquaid shit the bed on Vanguard. Arguably he got in over his head trying to manage a studio instead of being a designer, I would love for him to be involved in this to some good extent, since I still think he has a lot to offer from a Design perspective.

I suspect he is involved in EQ Next in some way. He was rehired by Smed to work on EQ1 in March.

Probably just the category of "sour grapes" so I will absolutely admit... take this with a grain of salt... but while I was interviewing for the EQN writing team I was pretty regularly surprised by how quickly interesting/creative ideas from several individuals were shot down, in favor of very, very "typical" tropes. Its all I can speak to, but as an enthusiast, I didn't feel terribly impressed.

To be fair, I'm far more interested in what they try in the gameplay space than I am the narrative/writing quality. It's always been a pretty generic fantasy world, and I really had no expectation for that to change. Either way the writing will still be better than Garrosh Hellscream being a dick 24/7 because I HATE ALLIANCE ALLIANCE BAD. Oh, and REDEMPTION! /metzen

Einbroch

Banned
The first time I logged into Everquest, I was a human in Qeynos in the rain. My clipping was all the way down, and I couldn't see shit. I was totally lost. All I had was a note in my inventory telling me to go see my guild master, some food and drink, and the crappy starting sword. That was all they gave you. I think the manual had maps of the cities

I literally shed a tear after reading this, as silly as it may seem. This game holds a special place in my heart.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I wonder if this will be a reboot of sorts story wise. I love the story in MMOs, if it's good, because it makes the game that much better. I just never played an Everquest game so I hope they kind of reboot the fiction instead of calling EQN, EQ3.

Also, Star Wars Galaxies was my first MMO and it remains my favorite to this day. Sandbox MMOs are simply better for the MMO space than themepark MMOs. They really bring out the social aspect of the genre. That's not to say themepark elements are bad though - I hope EQN has themepark elements to direct it somewhat.

Versifier

Ten Ton Hammer also got a sneak peak and have given EverQuest Next best of show as well

TenTonHammer.com said:
...when it came to selecting our Best of Show recipient, it was abundantly clear from the word go that one title clearly stood out from the crowd... While we are sworn to secrecy on exactly what we were shown, what we can say is that EverQuest Next was hands-down the best game we had the pleasure of seeing during E3 2013

friz898

I wonder if this will be a reboot of sorts story wise. I love the story in MMOs, if it's good, because it makes the game that much better. I just never played an Everquest game so I hope they kind of reboot the fiction instead of calling EQN, EQ3.

Also, Star Wars Galaxies was my first MMO and it remains my favorite to this day. Sandbox MMOs are simply better for the MMO space than themepark MMOs. They really bring out the social aspect of the genre. That's not to say themepark elements are bad though - I hope EQN has themepark elements to direct it somewhat.

There's a story/quote on that as well. It's not a reboot.. I guess it's like an alternate reality or something. It wasn't real clear in the transcript. Let me see if I can find it. If you google everything from the last 2 years, especially end of 2012, Smed has spoken on this stuff a lot.

Also to the person who spoke about Brad. Brad's role recently changed. It was either EQ1 and now recently Vanguard, or vice versa. I believe he was rehired to "advise" on vanguard and work on some other project. Something like that, and then recently in March switched to EQ1. Again you can find these interviews/quotes with a google search. I do most of my reading on www.massively.com.

But I agree, I'm sure Brad has had some kind of influence or whatever on EQ Next, or perhaps even preparing to take a serious role in the game. Regardless of the mistakes he's made, I'm sure Brad has some pull with Smed.

Edit: I can't find anything to back up what I was pretty sure Smed was quoted as saying. All I can find with a smed/reboot google search is where he talks about starting over with EQ Next development three times and he used the word reboot. I'm looking for a particular sentence I remember reading in an article, but oh well, perhaps memory fails me.

Burt

Give me this and PS2 as F2P games preloaded on my PS4 and... I can't even think of a good metaphor, but I'd be a happy man.

Not a big EQ fan but I'm all for a big budget sandbox MMO. The current formula that dominates the genre is beyond tired, I'm glad companies are starting to realize that.

wildfire

Banned

Quest chains are fine in a sandbox game as long as they are dynamically controlled like GW2's quest design.

Man, I hope they're serious with it being game of the show. Having to wait until August 1st is going to be supremely hard, so I hope that the excitement their showing is genuine and not just a lie.

Do you guys want it to be first person like EQ1 or behind the back WoW style? Or both I guess?

wildfire

Banned
Never played EQ myself. I used to follow Darkfall and I liked the concepts offered they fell short on various features at launch.

I hope EQ offers a lot of the options that game had.

Linkith Hyrulian is my character in EQ on the Innoruk server originally... multiple server merges later he still resides on the nameless at level 100 :)

I actually played again 3 months ago.. i love the games raiding and love my guiild.. it's just too hard to play end game with a wife and kids and keep them happy..

EQ raiding you really should be single or have a significant other that plays it too! It's that time consuming.

at 21 i played it A ton! at 31.. kinda hard to do even though i'd love to!

Top Bottom