• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMORPG.com gets sneak peek at Everquest Next at E3. Calls it best of show.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
who puts games on the Microsoft Windows platform. so? everquest is no home console system seller. it isn't even a game seller right now. if they saw potential for it, i doubt they'd go restricting access.

also, that seamless stuff is disappointing. not a big fan of seamless based on how i've seen it integrated into games.

Clearly you haven't listened to many interviews with SoE's President when people have asked him about this. Here's a hint as to what he said: "We are a Sony company and we are very excited about Sony hardware." =p

And comparing Windows to a console.... no

They have to put PC games on Windows. They'd be intentionally shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't. I don't think I've ever seen an SoE game on a MS console though.

and you won't.

I really enjoyed Star Wars Galaxies (original and first 2 CU's) and I loved EQ2. However, EQ2 really ran like a dog and then when they started doing GPU stuffs it was always too fast (out of place) or really glitch with shadows.

I would absolutely love a SWG-like sand box where I can go into the wilderness and make a home for myself or buid, start, a town. And have to deal with the local nasties as my private/public impromptu content.

We'll see. I love Guild Wars 2 but I haven't played it since week 3. No time.

Darryl

Banned
They have to put PC games on Windows. They'd be intentionally shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't. I don't think I've ever seen an SoE game on a MS console though.

yea most soe games are pretty small though. i haven't seen much of eq3, so i don't know if it is a small game or a huge investment yet. i know that historically mmos grow exponentially, so throwing any extra userbase away is a bad idea. i know everquest isn't a console franchise, nor does it have any attachment to the sony fanbase. because of those PC origins, it will probably not move many consoles if any regardless of which platform it gets stuck on. word of mouth will probably generate from PC users and extend outwards, so if it just so happens that someone gets recommended to the game and has an xbone - no ps4 - that is lost profit. i don't think in the case of this game and the circumstances around it, the "sony" name is a valid argument for why it will be a PC/PS4 only.

although i do hope it is PC exclusive because if it goes onto consoles then the game will obviously have to go through some compromise from a gameplay perspective and that'll be disappointing

Iadien

yea most soe games are pretty small though. i haven't seen much of eq3, so i don't know if it is a small game or a huge investment yet. i know that historically mmos grow exponentially, so throwing any extra userbase away is a bad idea. i know everquest isn't a console franchise, nor does it have any attachment to the sony fanbase. because of those PC origins, it will probably not move many consoles if any regardless of which platform it gets stuck on. word of mouth will probably generate from PC users and extend outwards, so if it just so happens that someone gets recommended to the game and has an xbone - no ps4 - that is lost profit. i don't think in the case of this game and the circumstances around it, the "sony" name is a valid argument for why it will be a PC/PS4 only.

although i do hope it is PC exclusive because if it goes onto consoles then the game will obviously have to go through some compromise from a gameplay perspective and that'll be disappointing

They are a Sony company. Why in the world would they release their games on anything other than Sony hardware (other than PC/Mac)?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I really enjoyed Star Wars Galaxies (original and first 2 CU's) and I loved EQ2. However, EQ2 really ran like a dog and then when they started doing GPU stuffs it was always too fast (out of place) or really glitch with shadows.

I would absolutely love a SWG-like sand box where I can go into the wilderness and make a home for myself or buid, start, a town. And have to deal with the local nasties as my private/public impromptu content.

We'll see. I love Guild Wars 2 but I haven't played it since week 3. No time.

If you like sandboxes, it's no wonder you haven't been playing Guild Wars 2. That game is like the pinnacle of restrictive "theme park" gameplay.

I know better than to really buy anything these guys say until they produce results. That said, I'm extremely hyped at the possibilities.

It was harder than any themepark I've ever played, but certainly I haven't played everything.

EQ was difficult in a typical oldschool kind of way - if you paid attention, read advice, controlled yourself, and didn't go charging in apeshit everywhere, you could survive some really rewarding situations and find new ways to challenge yourself.

It was difficult in that it required people to pay attention. It rarely required keyboard dexterity or extremely quick reaction times. It just required you to learn how its systems worked and to be able to make the right decisions at the right times. You could take the same group and completely blow an encounter, wiping over and over, because no one was doing their job right. If that same group just focused and paid attention, they could often handily defeat the same encounter (obviously gear was a big issue, too, though).

I really loved EQ's slower pace of combat that usually allowed for chatting or at least enough time to send brief messages or orders.

Darryl

Banned
They are a Sony company. Why in the world would they release their games on anything other than Sony hardware (other than PC/Mac)?

are you serious man? my last message was my entire argument for why i don't think that matters and you're going to ask me to restate myself.

mmos are not non-MMOs. they typically have legs, they profit over the course of 5-6 years. they don't fly out of the door. they're not system sellers. they will not likely bring people into the PS4 ecosystem. they're just losing an additional audience, that audience will attract more audience. MMOs grow exponentially. you attract an extra 100K users to your game, those 100K users attract an additional 50K users, which attract an additional 25K users. etc. a game will need growth like that if it wants to be huge nowadays. maybe they have controlled expectations for this game and aren't expecting it to be the next WoW and don't care so much, who knows.

If you like sandboxes, it's no wonder you haven't been playing Guild Wars 2. That game is like the pinnacle of restrictive "theme park" gameplay.

I actually played EVE online hardcore since 2003 - 2012. It is the benchmark of all MMOs for me. The original SWG is the only game to ever come anywhere close. Every other MMO I've played was a secondary game. Nothing feels right and I don't have time in my life for EVE anymore so something casual yet sand boxy is something I'd look into.

I did enjoy SWTOR quite a bit until it became a grind in the later levels and again, I cannot really devote time even to the F2P version. Being a 30 something sucks for MMOs when your single and trying to socialize outside of gaming lol. I had big hopes for Dust 514 and it is kinda meh at the moment... needs PC or PS4 loving. I also have high hopes for Destiny now.

Iadien

are you serious man? my last message was my entire argument for why i don't think that matters and you're going to ask me to restate myself.

mmos are not non-MMOs. they typically have legs, they profit over the course of 5-6 years. they don't fly out of the door. they're not system sellers. they will not likely bring people into the PS4 ecosystem. they're just losing an additional audience, that audience will attract more audience. MMOs grow exponentially. you attract an extra 100K users to your game, those 100K users attract an additional 50K users, which attract an additional 25K users. etc. a game will need growth like that if it wants to be huge nowadays. maybe they have controlled expectations for this game and aren't expecting it to be the next WoW and don't care so much, who knows.

Because none of what you stated matters, when they're part of Sony. They have been doing just fine for almost 15 years, and have only released games on PC/MAC and Sony hardware. Also, EQN, PS2, etc. are PC first MMOs, and then ported to PS4 (if EQN even releases on PS4, it hasn't been made official, but it is assumed).

EQ is 14 years old
EQ2 is 9 years old

weevles

I've pretty much sworn off MMOs forever due to the time sink nature of gameplay, but I'll keep a lookout for this. I was a huge EQ player back in the day, and although I don't aspire to be that involved again, I'm interested to see what is so "head and shoulders above" about the game.

Darryl

Banned
Because none of what you stated matters, when they're part of Sony. They have been doing just fine for almost 15 years, and have only released games on PC/MAC and Sony hardware. Also, EQN, PS2, etc. are PC first MMOs, and then ported to PS4 (if EQN even releases on PS4, it hasn't been made official, but it is assumed).

EQ is 14 years old
EQ2 is 9 years old

i suppose sony films shouldn't make films for anything other than sony properties because they're a sony company. sony music shouldn't let their songs be available for distribution via services that play on the xbox 360 because they're a sony company. your argument is flimsy. they'll do whatever earns them the most profit. if it doesn't affect hardware sales, it is money in the bank.

those other everquest games are old and most of them released back when games only went to a single platform. now it's easier then ever to go multiplatform. PlanetSide2 is an already released title and putting it on anything other than PS4 would be a waste. EverQuest Next would be a fresh title with much more potential for growth.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
i suppose sony films shouldn't make films for anything other than sony properties because they're a sony company. sony music shouldn't let their songs be available for distribution via services that play on the xbox 360 because they're a sony company. your argument is flimsy. they'll do whatever earns them the most profit. if it doesn't affect hardware sales, it is money in the bank.

those other everquest games are old and most of them released back when games only went to a single platform. now it's easier then ever to go multiplatform. PlanetSide2 is an already released title and putting it on anything other than PS4 would be a waste. EverQuest Next would be a fresh title with much more potential for growth.

This is a REALLY terrible comparison.

Darryl

Banned

it is almost reaching the point to where i need to stop talking about sony anything on this forum because apparently rational discussion flies out of the door when they get involved. you showed me that quote at the top of the page. i actually read your messages, i seen it. it doesn't have anything to do with eq3 in the context of the video, nor does it have anything to do with whatever that other guy was trying to pick out of my messages.

It's all a balance between comparative advantages.

What advantage does Sony and the Artist gain by withholding Sony licensed music from platforms that are competitive with Sony products compared to the advantages. This is further balanced by the cost and benefit associated. How much does it cost Sony to license music?

Now with Everquest, the comparative advantage and costs and benefits are completely different.

yea i tried to bring that up above. i understand. i'm trying to explain that everquest is not just another video game. it isn't Uncharted or The Last of Us. it's a PC-based MMO. the situation surrounding it is completely different, much more similar to how iOS or mobile games are run. the larger the user base is, the faster the franchise will grow.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
you wanna give a more detailed rebuttal other than a drive-by?

It's all a balance between comparative advantages.

What advantage does Sony and the Artist gain by withholding Sony licensed music from platforms that are competitive with Sony products compared to the advantages. This is further balanced by the cost and benefit associated. How much does it cost Sony to license music?

Now with Everquest, the comparative advantage and costs and benefits are completely different.

Edit:
Music and Movies are about exposure.
Video games are about ecosystem and platform.

Iadien

it is almost reaching the point to where i need to stop talking about sony anything on this forum because apparently rational discussion flies out of the door when they get involved. you showed me that quote at the top of the page. i actually read your messages, i seen it. it doesn't have anything to do with eq3 in the context of the video, nor does it have anything to do with whatever that other guy was trying to pick out of my messages.

You're right. A Sony company that has only released games on PC/Mac/PS hardware for 14 years will suddenly start releasing games on competing consoles.

I honestly can't believe you're still arguing your point. lol

Suikoguy

yea i tried to bring that up above. i understand. i'm trying to explain that everquest is not just another video game. it isn't Uncharted or The Last of Us. it's a PC-based MMO. the situation surrounding it is completely different, much more similar to how iOS or mobile games are run. the larger the user base is, the faster the franchise will grow.

Yes, while there is a greater chance of seeing Everquest on non-PC, non-Sony platform, your above example was still terrible.

There are considerably more costs associated with bringing something like an MMORPG to multiple platforms vs Music or Movies.

Darryl

Banned
Yes, while there is a greater chance of seeing Everquest on non-PC, non-Sony platform, your above example was still terrible.

There are considerably more costs associated with bringing something like an MMORPG to multiple platforms vs Music or Movies.

yes, the above example was terrible because it was 100% sarcasm. i know the situation isn't comparable, i was trying to explain how ridiculous it is to assume that companies won't support competing ecosystems. as shown in the link i included in my above message, it happens. companies are out for profit, samsung despite directly competing with the iphone will supply iphone parts. the world moves on

Suikoguy

Well, back to the topic at hand then, lol.

For some reason I had it in my head that John Smedley and Sony had a falling out, looking it up on Wikipedia, that's a big no.

The original Everquest had some inane design decisions, such as forcing mana classes to stare at their spell book to regenerate mana, I hope he has evolved a bit on smart design.

yes, the above example was terrible because it was 100% sarcasm. i know the situation isn't comparable, i was trying to explain how ridiculous it is to assume that companies won't support competing ecosystems. as shown in the link i included in my above message, it happens. companies are out for profit, samsung despite directly competing with the iphone will supply iphone parts. the world moves on

Your argument simply doesn't work. The two competing companies do not give each other bullet points for their consoles. It doesn't matter that MMO's aren't system sellers. It doesn't matter that they don't typically sell millions upon millions (however they don't have to due to the fact that they accrue more revenue over time, which coincidentally is a stronger argument against them releasing on an opponents console). SoE has had many MMO's and have never put a single one on a Non-Sony Console. PC is a different beast because MS pretty much has a monopoly over the PC Gaming market in terms of OS adoption. Mac's have a relatively small gaming base as does Linux. Comparing the PC release of SoE games to console ports of those games that regard is a non sequitur.

Add to that the realistic situation that Sony is in, where the company has been financially shaky throughout all it's departments.. why would it want to give any ground to a competitor?

Darryl

Banned
Your argument simply doesn't work. The two competing companies do not give each other bullet points for their consoles. It doesn't matter that MMO's aren't system sellers. It doesn't matter that they don't typically sell millions upon millions (however they don't have to due to the fact that they accrue more revenue over time, which coincidentally is a stronger argument against them releasing on an opponents console). SoE has had many MMO's and have never put a single one on a Non-Sony Console. PC is a different beast because MS pretty much has a monopoly over the PC Gaming market in terms of OS adoption. Mac's have a relatively small gaming base as does Linux. Comparing the PC release of SoE games to console ports of those games that regard is a non sequitur.

Add to that the realistic situation that Sony is in, where the company has been financially shaky throughout all it's departments.. why would it want to give any ground to a competitor?

I just don't get a lot of your arguments. The company is financially shaky.. so it is withholding the release of a game (that competes in a high risk / high reward field) arbitrarily? You even acknowledge that the game isn't a system seller. If it isn't a system seller, why not release it on other platforms? That's lost cash. The only thing lost is.. reputation? Is the internal culture that hostile towards Microsoft? I wasn't aware. Drawing comparisons from history is misleading because they don't even make that many big games. Most of them are small games that were never going to blow up as the next big thing. It sounds like they're betting big on EQN, which is why I'm acknowledging that it is a different beast then something like PlanetSide 2. I think the console war between XBox One and PS4 is being taken a bit too serious. Ultimately, these companies are out for profit and MMOs can be very, very lucrative. Sure, there is often a culture situation where a company refuses to even look at alternatives like that. I don't work there, I don't know, I'm just saying that there isn't much to lose based on what we've seen so far and Sony is a big company so I was betting that they seen that as well. Although, judging by these comments, it may not be worth the hit to their reputation as I was unaware that people developed a sense of protectiveness over the titles exclusivity.

I just don't get a lot of your arguments. The company is financially shaky.. so it is withholding the release of a game (that competes in a high risk / high reward field) arbitrarily? You even acknowledge that the game isn't a system seller. If it isn't a system seller, why not release it on other platforms? That's lost cash. The only thing lost is.. reputation? Is the internal culture that hostile towards Microsoft? I wasn't aware. Drawing comparisons from history is misleading because they don't even make that many big games. Most of them are small games that were never going to blow up as the next big thing. It sounds like they're betting big on EQN, which is why I'm acknowledging that it is a different beast then something like PlanetSide 2. I think the console war between XBox One and PS4 is being taken a bit too serious. Ultimately, these companies are out for profit and MMOs can be very, very lucrative. Sure, there is often a culture situation where a company refuses to even look at alternatives like that. I don't work there, I don't know, I'm just saying that there isn't much to lose based on what we've seen so far and Sony is a big company so I was betting that they seen that as well. Although, judging by these comments, it may not be worth the hit to their reputation as I was unaware that people developed a sense of protectiveness over the titles exclusivity.

It's not arbitrary. Reputation is indeed important but you also have to look at the potential gained player base from an MS console. To date, I believe (and I could be mistaken) that FFXI is the only MMO to release on Xbox and I have to think that there's a reason why no others have. We obviously don't have metrics available to us but whether or not the potential gain would offset the hit to reputation needs to be considered as well. Keep in mind that we've just seen MS do a 180 on major aspects of their policies because it would hurt them both financially as well as the huge reputation hit they've been getting. I'm also not sure what your particular scale is in terms of how large the games that SoE makes are but Planetside 2 and DCUO were definitely big investments with hopes of big payoffs. That's a large part of the reason those two games were built to hit consoles as well as PC. And make no mistake, those games were designed with consoles in mind from the beginning and yet neither saw an Xbox release nor are they slated to.

Competitors simply do not supply each other with games in this industry. Sega didn't give Nintendo a single thing until after they were out of the console business and went software only. And while you may maintain that MMO's are a different beast, they really aren't all that different where Sony is concerned as SoE falls under the direct jurisdiction of SCE.

And all of that is assuming that MS would allow an SoE game on their console to begin with.

Vorundor

Only hope they can bring back the damn-the-world-is-big feel, if you know what I mean. Sorely lacking in today's MMOs.

YES!!! I want the world to feel huge again, I want to feel nervous about traveling through unknown lands, like when I first had to go through Kithicor Forest on my way to High Keep. It was DANGEROUS! Specially if you were caught in Kithicor at night time, oh man. Or like when you were going to the Ork Highway in North Ro.

Now, as it is, the Original EQ zones have shrunk :( the Common Lands are one and a third of their size. A shame really, EQ originally gave you one hell of a world to explore. I really hope they bring that feeling back.

Also, SONY Computer Entertainment, will NEVER release a game on ANY console thats not made by SONY. Never have and never will, despite of financial troubles, SOE is for SONY and SONY only. PC games are irrelevant since Windows is the only viable option when it comes to gaming on a PC.

Assuming its coming to the ps4 (ofc it is), I just thought about vita remote play.

I don't know how to feel about that (obviously have to wai to see how well it works), but having EQ on a handheld?

Don't know if I should be excited, ambivalent, or scared...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
YES!!! I want the world to feel huge again, I want to feel nervous about traveling through unknown lands, like when I first had to go through Kithicor Forest on my way to High Keep. It was DANGEROUS! Specially if you were caught in Kithicor at night time, oh man. Or like when you were going to the Ork Highway in North Ro.

Now, as it is, the Original EQ zones have shrunk :( the Common Lands are one and a third of their size. A shame really, EQ originally gave you one hell of a world to explore. I really hope they bring that feeling back.

Also, SONY Computer Entertainment, will NEVER release a game on ANY console thats not made by SONY. Never have and never will, despite of financial troubles, SOE is for SONY and SONY only. PC games are irrelevant since Windows is the only viable option when it comes to gaming on a PC.

I don't think that can happen as long as in-game maps exist. I imagine any game without detailed in-game maps would be crucified these days. Kind of sad, really.

Darryl

Banned
It's not arbitrary. Reputation is indeed important but you also have to look at the potential gained player base from an MS console. To date, I believe (and I could be mistaken) that FFXI is the only MMO to release on Xbox and I have to think that there's a reason why no others have. We obviously don't have metrics available to us but whether or not the potential gain would offset the hit to reputation needs to be considered as well. Keep in mind that we've just seen MS do a 180 on major aspects of their policies because it would hurt them both financially as well as the huge reputation hit they've been getting. I'm also not sure what your particular scale is in terms of how large the games that SoE makes are but Planetside 2 and DCUO were definitely big investments with hopes of big payoffs. That's a large part of the reason those two games were built to hit consoles as well as PC. And make no mistake, those games were designed with consoles in mind from the beginning and yet neither saw an Xbox release nor are they slated to.

Competitors simply do not supply each other with games in this industry. Sega didn't give Nintendo a single thing until after they were out of the console business and went software only. And while you may maintain that MMO's are a different beast, they really aren't all that different where Sony is concerned as SoE falls under the direct jurisdiction of SCE.

And all of that is assuming that MS would allow an SoE game on their console to begin with.

First, MMOs don't typically release on consoles at all. There is no huge history of MMOs missing the Xbox ecosystem as they just don't arrive there at all. FFXI arrived on the PS2 and Xbox 360. Dragon Quest X arrived on the Wii and Wii U. That's pretty much it. We're getting a major shift now as going into the next-generation there are MMOs arriving across the board, most of them hitting both consoles. It's become much easier now, apparently. So yea, the argument basically falls down to "Sony won't do it because they're Sony". I personally disagree that this matters and I do not find MMOs similar to console games. I don't see this as a SEGA vs. Nintendo moment at all, where two companies are competing with each other so directly that they refuse to give each other whatever bit of available leverage they have. This looks more like Nintendo's mobile department vs. iOS, with Nintendo caving and putting the Pokemon App onto smartphones because they realized they aren't really competing with them at all but could stand to gain. This looks more like Microsoft putting Blue Dragon onto the DS, no real competition there and it is money in the bank. Microsoft developing Age of Empires mobile for iOS and Android. That game is useless if people don't play it, just like EverQuest. Can't think of any historical examples of Sony doing it, but just because they haven't I'm not going to say it is off the cards completely. Besides, looking back at it historically EverQuest has more of an audience on the Xbox ecosystem then it does on the PlayStation. Online, sandbox, western RPG. All three of those keywords scream Xbox audience to me right now. Might be a smart move for Sony to begin the slow process of converting that audience to the PlayStation ecosystem.

First, MMOs don't typically release on consoles at all. There is no huge history of MMOs missing the Xbox ecosystem as they just don't arrive there at all. FFXI arrived on the PS2 and Xbox 360. Dragon Quest X arrived on the Wii and Wii U. That's pretty much it. We're getting a major shift now as going into the next-generation there are MMOs arriving across the board, most of them hitting both consoles. It's become much easier now, apparently. So yea, the argument basically falls down to "Sony won't do it because they're Sony". I personally disagree that this matters and I do not find MMOs similar to console games. I don't see this as a SEGA vs. Nintendo moment at all, where two companies are competing with each other so directly that they refuse to give each other whatever bit of available leverage they have. This looks more like Nintendo's mobile department vs. iOS, with Nintendo caving and putting the Pokemon App onto smartphones because they realized they aren't really competing with them at all but could stand to gain. This looks more like Microsoft putting Blue Dragon onto the DS, no real competition there and it is money in the bank. Microsoft developing Age of Empires mobile for iOS and Android. That game is useless if people don't play it, just like EverQuest. Can't think of any historical examples of Sony doing it, but just because they haven't I'm not going to say it is off the cards completely. Besides, looking back at it historically EverQuest has more of an audience on the Xbox ecosystem then it does on the PlayStation. Online, sandbox, western RPG. All three of those keywords scream Xbox audience to me right now. Might be a smart move for Sony to begin the slow process of converting that audience to the PlayStation ecosystem.

FFXI and Everquest Online Adventures were both released on PS2. So yeah, this will be the third gen of MMO's on consoles. PS3 has Dust 514, DCUO, Free Realms, Defiance, and is slated to get more. MMO's on consoles have indeed been around awhile and nearly every MMO in the last 2 years or so has at the very least considered console versions.

I don't feel like your examples really fit as Sony and Microsoft's gaming departments are in direct competition. It's a perfect parallel to Sega and Nintendo. Nintendo and iOS are indeed not directly competing. Likewise MS has no handheld system so they don't compete with Nintendo in that regard. However Sony and MS both have home consoles just as Sega and Nintendo did. If SoE makes a console version of it's MMO's it's going to be for a Sony system and releasing that same MMO on a MS system will compete directly with the Sony version. It's not a case of "technically they're different." They're exactly the same. And as I stated earlier SCE is in direct control of SoE, so it's not a case of SoE being a different arm of Sony. It literally falls under the same division of Sony that is responsible for First Party development.

As for EQ "screaming Xbox" in your opinion, I already pointed out that EQAO came out for the PS2 so there is history there, while there is no history of it for Xbox systems. While there may indeed be an audience there, most Xbox owners who are interested in an MMO will likely already have a PC and will purchase the game there since it's the most convenient control scheme for the vast majority of MMOs. The bottom line is it's not likely at all that an SoE game will ever be on an MS system. Not so long as Sony is in the console business.

Iadien

Pretty pointless to respond to him at this point. He'll keep on believing whatever, regardless what the President of a Sony based company states.

Most people understand that it will never happen. =p

SoE published Payday and that game wasn't even on Xbox... Which is why Payday 2 isn't being published by SoE and will be released on Xbox this time.

Darryl

Banned
Pretty pointless to respond to him at this point. He'll keep on believing whatever, regardless what the President of a Sony based company states.

Most people understand that it will never happen. =p

SoE published Payday and that game wasn't even on Xbox... Which is why Payday 2 isn't being published by SoE and will be released on Xbox this time.

Yea, you're not going to convince me. I'm just arguing the point. Putting into words my observations, you can read them or you can instead skim them and get offended that I don't agree with you. I'm not even arguing the point right now that I believe or care in. I don't want it on consoles at all. My original message that you two picked at was a subtle jab at how I don't want it on consoles at all. Forcing the game to work well with controllers is a compromise, and it sort of conflicts with the "sandbox" vision of player created content. It's hard to create content on a controller if you're anymore complex then Minecraft.

I got overly excited about this so I started up a new character on the EQMac free server (hosted by Sony, even). Hopefully it'll tide me over until the announcement/release of EQN.

Vyrance

Man, I hope they're serious with it being game of the show. Having to wait until August 1st is going to be supremely hard, so I hope that the excitement their showing is genuine and not just a lie.

Do you guys want it to be first person like EQ1 or behind the back WoW style? Or both I guess?

First person 100%. Makes me get into the game more. But both options should be available like for other EverQuest games

spirity

Have MMO's Become Too Easy?

Have you noticed the creeping casualness that permeates all MMOs these days? When is the last time you died in a starter zone? What happened to 40 person raids that have dwindled to 5? Do you feel any sense of achievement in the race to end game, or is the end game the only achievement?

It all started with the drive to make MMOs, which in the EQ and Ultima days were a niche and hard core game, more accessible. Accessibility was the mantra when I was leading the World of Warcraft team. We labored over the user interface for the game, going through many iterations, to find one that would be easy and intuitive for players new to the genre. We created a massive number of quests to lead the player through the world, making sure that they never had to think about what to do next.

But even that wasn’t enough. As WoW grew in population, reaching ever more casual gamers, new expansions introduced even more refinements. Quest trackers were added, and xp was increased so that it was easier to level through all the old content to get to the “new stuff” of the expansion. Gear from the a new expansions first quests made raid gear from previous expansions a joke. And the level curve became faster and faster until we reached a point where everyone is just in a race to get to max level, and damn everything else in between. Why care about level 20 gear when you would blow by levels so fast it was obsolete before you even logged off for the night?

And it worked. Players came in droves, millions of them. But at what cost? Sometimes I look at WoW and think “what have we done?” I think I know. I think we killed a genre. There are many reasons I feel this way, but I’d like to discuss one in particular, the difficulty curve.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yes they have, but that's just my opinion, unfortunately.

It seems like all MMORPGs are made these days so that everything is attainable by anyone. Sure it might take some time, but no more than an hour or two commitment every couple of nights.

It's not just the difficulty, but it's the constant handholding and promotion of solo play. It conditions most players to be reliant on being told what to do and to stop playing if they ever finish all of the quests or other prepared content. I much preferred it when the worlds and dungeons were made, but the main focus was on player interaction. You were dropped in a world and had to figure out what to do for yourself. There was lore, but the real stories grew as a result of interaction between players.

Jarnet87

First person 100%. Makes me get into the game more. But both options should be available like for other EverQuest games

I'm sure they will have a camera mode or a zoom that you can be in first person. Does sticksoldier want that amazing original EQ 1 UI also?

preview

Brings me back lol.

Top Bottom