• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMORPG.com gets sneak peek at Everquest Next at E3. Calls it best of show.

Acosta

Uncontrollable hype.

With World in Darkness in perpetual development and Titan releasing god knows when, EQ is my big hope of something shaking for real the MMO scene, can't wait for August.

Burt

As someone that spent almost 2 full years of in game elapsed time played on Everquest 1, the next EQ being f2p kills off every bit of hype I have had for the game since it was first revealed.

That's 3 series I hold in super high regard that f2p has completely ruined in sequels now if that ends up being true, talk about a let down. PSO2 and PS2 were bad enough.
Planetside is absolutely fine to play without spending a single cent. Sure, the cert gain could be a little faster, but that's getting pretty nitpicky. Drop $50 into it to equate it to a B2P (especially during a double or triple Station Cash sale), and you're pretty much set for life. Pay $15/month to subscribe for it like you have for every other MMO you've ever played and you've got a whole bunch of great, non-game changing quality of life improvements for the duration of your membership. I remember thinking that the F2P model in EQ2 was pretty shitty, but SOE has done well with it since then, and I expect them to continue that trend with EN.

I really don't get how people who've spent thousands of hours grinding characters and paying $15/month the whole time can't stand the option of being able to do the same thing, except for free. Or being able to pay money to skip some of those hours when in the past you would've had to pay and still grind your ass off. The irrational hatred for F2P from some people is just absurd.

Planetside is absolutely fine to play without spending a single cent. Sure, the cert gain could be a little faster, but that's getting pretty nitpicky. Drop $50 into it to equate it to a B2P (especially during a double or triple Station Cash sale), and you're pretty much set for life. Pay $15/month to subscribe for it like you have for every other MMO you've ever played and you've got a whole bunch of great, non-game changing quality of life improvements for the duration of your membership. I remember thinking that the F2P model in EQ2 was pretty shitty, but SOE has done well with it since then, and I expect them to continue that trend with EN.

I really don't get how people who've spent thousands of hours grinding characters and paying $15/month the whole time can't stand the option of being able to do the same thing, except for free. Or being able to pay money to skip some of those hours when in the past you would've had to pay and still grind your ass off. The irrational hatred for F2P from some people is just absurd.

One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong...

BizzyBum

well fuck.. now I got ARR, ESO, and this!

They had me at sandbox.. I miss complete sandbox MMO's like SWG. I hope this game delivers AND is cross-play on PC and PS4.

Tash

Can.not.Wait.

EQ and EQ2 are still among my most beloved MMOs.
Really curious about the 1st of August reveal.

spirity

factions_zpsaed912f2.jpg

One of my favourite features of EQ was the factions. I remember killing a boatload of... bards, I think? I could sit in the middle of Crushbone throneroom and never get aggro. I loved playing with factions and it really gave the world colour. Smugglers and corrupt guards gave cities dark underbellies. Cities should have dark underbellies and areas you don't really want to be in if you're not of the correct alignment.

Also, there's rumors going around that EQN will feature "storybricks". You can read about what it is HERE.

Also

linear_zps0d042b48.jpg

and

nothemeJPG_zps5dfae785.jpg

Hows your hype, guys?

joeblow

If the combat is action based then I will be absolutely focused on every preview that comes out until launch. Besides the sub fee, the non "actiony" combat is why I never tried the original two games. Something closer to Dragon's Dogma or Demons Souls or the recent Batman games. Not necessarily hard core combo based action, but something more than how it was done in the past.

The fact that a console version is all but assured has me encouraged that it won't be mostly stand there and go through your skill bar type play. I want something more dynamic and exciting to watch as well as play.

If the combat is action based then I will be absolutely focused on every preview that comes out until launch. Besides the sub fee, the non "actiony" combat is why I never tried the original two games. Something closer to Dragon's Dogma or Demons Souls or the recent Batman games. Not necessarily hard core combo based action, but something more than how it was done in the past.

The fact that a console version is all but assured has me encouraged that it won't be mostly stand there and go through your skill bar type play. I want something more dynamic and exciting to watch as well as play.

I doubt it has anything too far from skill bar GCD combat. Going sandbox is already going to feel strange enough to many people. Adding action combat would be even more off putting. There are many tricks that can be employed to make traditional MMO combat feel more action-oriented though, and I'm sure we'll see that.

Darryl

Banned
Hows your hype, guys?

all things sound great so far. let's hope they can live up to what they're promising. my requests

1. no quest chains through narrow maps.
2. no living the #hublife.
3. no "leveling is a tutorial" where the real game starts at maximum
4. no standard gear. no *go run x instance x amount of times for x stamps to get tier 1 end-game armor*
5. no cookie cutting stats. it should not be obvious what gear i need to wear at max level.
6. no making everything fair. i don't care if i'll never have the best gear in the game - i never do. i don't want that challenge removed from me.
7. the game should have the unexplored & unexplained. monsters you can't figure out how to kill. gear you can't figure out what it is useful for. keeping me guessing is a part of the fun

Tonguer

Very interested to learn/see more.

I'm not sure I hold much faith in a couple outlets choosing this 'best of show', but I'd be really happy to see it and agree with them.

I played EQ from launch day (but for less than a year I think), and dabbled with EQOA and EQ2. I'm sure I'm going to want to try this out.

BigDug13

So it beat The Division? Considering the praise that game is getting, that's saying something don't you think?

MMORPG is a subset of MMO. Isn't The Division an MMO Third Person shooter? And Planetside2 an MMOFPS? And The Crew an MMO Driving Game?

But this does tell me that EQ Next is better than Elder Scrolls Online so far since both were shown at E3 and EQ got the top prize of MMORPG's.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
MMORPG is a subset of MMO. Isn't The Division an MMO Third Person shooter? And Planetside2 an MMOFPS? And The Crew an MMO Driving Game?

But this does tell me that EQ Next is better than Elder Scrolls Online so far since both were shown at E3 and EQ got the top prize of MMORPG's.

It's a shame since Elder Scrolls has the universe most affable to a sandbox type game. But it seems most devs are too afraid to try something outside the typical WoW clone.

wildfire

Banned

Mmorpg. Com gave an award to Destiny. There goes your faulty assumption about what they would focus on.

They were comparing it to all of them.

Apath

Something I'm really hoping for is a stressed emphasis on first person perspective. Makes the game much more immersive IMO.

This dude is very good at creating hype. Man, everything he's saying is making the wait increasingly harder as every day goes by. The best part I've heard from him was about how EQ Next could have a Cataclysm like WoW caused by a supremely strong player. I love the idea of a world that constantly changes regardless if you're online or not. That's probably the thing I'm most excited about.

Something I'm really hoping for is a stressed emphasis on first person perspective. Makes the game much more immersive IMO.

That's what I'm hoping for. I'd love to see them also support the Rift in the future in a case like this. If it's anything like EQ1, then the Rift will be a perfect match.

Evoga

If the game is going to be released on the PS4 then I hope they really advertise the heck out of it.

I can see this being a great exclusive game to sell the console.

Darryl

Banned
If the game is going to be released on the PS4 then I hope they really advertise the heck out of it.

I can see this being a great exclusive game to sell the console.
if the game ends up simple enough to play on a gamepad, i'd be real disappointed.
This dude is very good at creating hype. Man, everything he's saying is making the wait increasingly harder as every day goes by. The best part I've heard from him was about how EQ Next could have a Cataclysm like WoW caused by a supremely strong player. I love the idea of a world that constantly changes regardless if you're online or not. That's probably the thing I'm most excited about.
i hope it lives up to what he's saying. mmos & talk are all so cheap. go back to the development of any MMO and you've got a bunch of Peter Molyneux fluff talk that more than likely failed to deliver.

spirity

TL;DR, MMOs need to be MMOs again. Running instances over and over should have been left to Diablo and other lootwhore dungeon crawlers.

Yeah. I'm tired of these gamey games, with quest helpers, highlighted areas of the minimap, arrows, exclamation marks, sound alerts, prompts, ground items that sparkle, cursors turning into cogs etc. Non-MMO players complain about "Press A For Awesome" and QTE prompts. Well modern MMO's are just as bad, just as immersion breaking and just as intrusive.

Put the adventure back into MMO's. No more of this handholding shit.

BigDug13

Mmorpg. Com gave an award to Destiny. There goes your faulty assumption about what they would focus on.

Yeah I guess I made a faulty assumption that if you name your company MMORPG, that you would be a company that specializes in rating MMORPG's or something.

Has "The Vision" returned to Everquest?

EQ was never difficult. It had large time sinks.

Yeah I wouldn't call it "difficult", however with the "no-soloing" way the game was designed, it required you to make friends with others and play in the community which vastly differs from the more current amusement park style of MMORPG that allows a solo player to play around just fine through a bunch of generated content. I much prefer Everquest before the expansions that added instanced dungeons. If a guild kills a dragon, I don't want another guild to be able to just spawn their own instance of that dragon, as it doesn't make the game world feel real. I prefer the old EQ style where if that dragon gets killed by someone, he stays dead for days before respawn. It creates a sense of community and continuity in your game world.

spirity

Not difficult, no. But certainly daunting. You didn't ever want to die in plane of fear, or even at the bottom of befallen. Xp loss and time required for the cr certainly made you respect the area you were in.

coughlanio

Played both EQ games for 20 minutes total, but if they put this on PS4, I'll be there day one. I want an MMO console experience so bad.

BigDug13

Not difficult, no. But certainly daunting. You didn't ever want to die in plane of fear, or even at the bottom of befallen. Xp loss and time required for the cr certainly made you respect the area you were in.

Falling into The Hole, creating some level 1 halfling rogues that followed the proper God so you could drag the corpse without dying. Good times.

And Destiny is an MMOFPS they just avoid using the MMO moniker due to the negative connotations it would have with Bungie's core audience. Arena Shooter fans.

Destiny has:
Levels
Random Loot
Loot with Stats
Player Progression through Weapon Trees
Quests
Dungeons
Public Events (aka World Raids)
Gear slots
Public Trade

and likely many other aspects that are traditional RPG elements. Combine that with much larger than typical player amounts per server and you have an MMO, whether they want to market it as such or not.

dcx4610

Original EQ before all of the expansion is my favorite game of all time.

I seriously doubt any of this will happen nowadays because MMOs baby players but the game needs to go back to its roots of being as brutal as possible. Making the game easy and casual ruined it. Not to mention the stupid new character models that made everyone look goofy and out of place.

I miss the days of being in East Commons and trading with people simply by shouting and sending personal tells. No stupid auction house for you to put up your items and disappear. If you want to trade, you actually had to interact with people. It forced you to meet people and gain new friends.

Loooooong leveling times, camps for loot and harsh punishment for dying such as experience loss and potential corpse rot made you actually care about your character, your gear and your progress.

Finally, the world got too big. Instead of ever expanding the world and making the old areas obsolete and empty, they should expand and improve upon the current areas. Have new events, quests, etc. Remove instances. Make people and groups fight for areas and loot. It's what made EQ exciting and memorable.

BigDug13

Original EQ before all of the expansion is my favorite game of all time.

I seriously doubt any of this will happen nowadays because MMOs baby players but the game needs to go back to its roots of being as brutal as possible. Making the game easy and casual ruined it. Not to mention the stupid new character models that made everyone look goofy and out of place.

I miss the days of being in East Commons and trading with people simply by shouting and sending personal tells. No stupid auction house for you to put up your items and disappear. If you want to trade, you actually had to interact with people. It forced you to meet people and gain new friends.

Loooooong leveling times, camps for loot and harsh punishment for dying such as experience loss and potential corpse rot made you actually care about your character, your gear and your progress.

Finally, the world got too big. Instead of ever expanding the world and making the old areas obsolete and empty, they should expand and improve upon the current areas. Have new events, quests, etc. Remove instances. Make people and groups fight for areas and loot. It's what made EQ exciting and memorable.

Smedley is still running the show and he seems to be "anti-amusement park", so hopefully "The Vision" is in full effect.

I fully expect SOE to turn EQNext into a Macrotransaction playground. If anyone has been playing or kept abreast of recent state of EQ2 you'll see Smedley has turned the game to utter shit.

putarorex

I am looking forward to more details, but it is interesting to see all the different types of mmorpg players being hyped for this on other forums. You have ffa pvp people excited and old school pve poop-sockers hyped, just to a mention a few. Someone is going to be disappointed.

Teletraan1

Banned
It does dictate its quality in my eyes, even if people think there are "good enough" examples of f2p out there not a single one of them has been up to an adequate level for my standards.

You previously brought up that all these games are going f2p from sub for a reason, and that reason is that all of them have been bad enough to not compel people to pay the monthly sub for them which just means the games need to be better. I will never condone praying on this weird consumer mindset that has developed in recent years that just because you don't initially have to pay a fee to play that you are getting a good deal.

You either end up paying far more money for the same amount of content as you would have been getting with a sub or you end up playing a bare bones version of a game where your time would be better spent on some other game.

I don't like the philosophy behind it, I don't like a game being developed with pinching every bit of money out of the consumer as possible with the same kinds of content that would otherwise be in the game in mind and I don't like the lack of support that ends up cropping up further down the line during the games lifespan in most cases.

Having to fight for your player bases money every month only leads to a better overall product and there hasn't been a game so far that has made me feel otherwise.

Sums up how I feel. Great post.

I know better than to really buy anything these guys say until they produce results. That said, I'm extremely hyped at the possibilities.

It was harder than any themepark I've ever played, but certainly I haven't played everything.

EQ was difficult in a typical oldschool kind of way - if you paid attention, read advice, controlled yourself, and didn't go charging in apeshit everywhere, you could survive some really rewarding situations and find new ways to challenge yourself.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.

Tell that to the people that rage quit over dying and losing their corpse. =p

Compared to WoW or even EQ2 it was very difficult.

PC/PS4/XB1/Wii U/360/PS3/ouya/vita/3ds/who cares. throw it on everything, just no compromises. required mouse and keyboard, even on the 3DS.

Sony Online Entertainment.

Here's a bit of what we know so far, if anyone is interested:

F2P, seamless Sandbox, PVP is a priority, storybricks integration, storybricks demonstration... that's about it. lol

no information in this video, but a little insight into the philosophy behind the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt-MEgLXKXs

Skip to 51:30 to listen to what the Producer says about what will be happening at SoE Live: http://www.twitch.tv/soe/b/416468155

Darryl

Banned
Sony Online Entertainment.

who puts games on the Microsoft Windows platform. so? everquest is no home console system seller. it isn't even a game seller right now. if they saw potential for it, i doubt they'd go restricting access.

also, that seamless stuff is disappointing. not a big fan of seamless based on how i've seen it integrated into games.

who puts games on the Microsoft Windows platform. so? everquest is no home console system seller. it isn't even a game seller right now. if they saw potential for it, i doubt they'd go restricting access.

also, that seamless stuff is disappointing. not a big fan of seamless based on how i've seen it integrated into games.

They have to put PC games on Windows. They'd be intentionally shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't. I don't think I've ever seen an SoE game on a MS console though.

Top Bottom