• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 - Xbox One Impressions + Bonus XB1 Controller Impressions & Vid

Some impressions of BF4 from our very own Timurse.

BF4 XBO
  • I played it on the business day of Igromir ("Game World" on English) in Moscow.
  • The resolution was definitely 720p, running mostly 60fps.
  • The game looks slightly better than Xbox 360 version of BF3 (I would say 50% better, no where near those videos of Paracel Storm gamescom build). Though textures are a lot better than on X360, some god rays, lots of foliage on the map.
  • It was a new build with Domination on Zavod 311. No vehicles. Though everything is unlocked.
  • For some strange reason player movement speed is VERY limited. It's like the sprint speed is somehow similar to the walking speed in BF3. I think it was this particular build fault. Cause on X360 the speed is ok.
  • The controller is SO SHITTY I couldn't even aim properly (and got 55 eagle in X360 version and 20th level in PS3 version). EDIT: added my small gamepads comparision.
  • The game ran on Xbox One debug kits. I saw one, it was black and I couldn't make any photo. There wasn't any local network mode, they used Windows server for the 26 machines.
  • The game supports kinect for voice commands, leaning with your head behind the corners and some other stuff. You can choose the language of voice commands.

If you have any questions - feel free to ask.

• The controller is very, very, very unergonomical compared to X360. It's smaller, the feeling is kind of like you are using a DualShock3.
  • The move distance of sticks is a little bit smaller, than the one in X360. I really thought about PS Vita sticks while playing.
  • Bumpers are totally connected to triggers. There isn't any piece of plastic (like in DS4) in-between trigger and bumper (clearly seen on video I edited in) so in 30-40% maybe you would miss the trigger and hit the bumper.
  • The vibration is a lot less than on X360.
  • The D-Pad is deepened into controller and it's really awkward. As in X360, DS3, DS4 it's slightly above the surface of controller. So while you try to press it on XBO gamepad moving your left thumb down from left stick you hit nothing, then you have to spend a second to find d-pad and actually press it. Really strange.
In order for you to not think that I am biased - I was the biggest basher of DS3 ever and also a huge fun of X360 gamepad :(

And as if that wasn't bad enough, here's a video showcasing some pretty terrible lag...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqxYVol5hwE&feature=c4-overview&list=UUDOsgxSZAiKvh0cuyJCyBOA

level44

Holy crap. If a lot of people feel that this controller is also a piece of shit when it's released then MS are in some serious trouble!

skdoo

Banned
Has anyone played BF4 on PS4 for comparison? Sounds like PC may be the version to get - surprise, surprise

RoKKeR

Somehow I doubt BF4's recent Xbox One showings are representative of the final product.

Shocking I know.

Kyoufu

How did they go from the "best controller in all the land" to this? Didn't they spend 100 million big ones to make a loved controller even better?

jayu26

This is the first time I have read someone bad mouth the Xbox One controller. I think he/she is just not use to the changes from 360 controller yet. In any case I need more impression of said controller.

Heh, reminds me of that Heavenly Sword gif.

Ah, the memories...For those who haven't seen it...

input_laghqxmv.gif

LowerLevel

FFFFFiddlesticks..... (sigh) Leaning SO much more to upgrading my PC. Swear if Forza wasn't launch... So disappointing, but thanks Op and co for sharing.

Nokterian

Damn controller even worse then the 360? I will stick with 360 controller on PC. But this well i all ready bought BF4 for PC sooo this shows it is all fluff and stuff everywhere.

I had not heard about the lack of bumper/trigger separation .... thats gonna be a tough one .... ooops, grenade!

Sad to hear about the (potential) lag issues and graphic upgrade from 360. Hope the same translation can not be said for the PS4 version.

level44

This is the first time I have read someone bad mouth the Xbox One controller. I think he/she is just not use to the changes from 360 controller yet. In any case I need more impression of said controller.

I've read a few.

They're not necessarily bad reviews but they do pick up on the bad points of the xbone's controller.

bryanee

I've heard complaints before especially about the bumper/trigger issue.

LtOrange

Yea I am definitely going to hold off on picking up BF4 until I can get some release impressions. Hopefully get a good deal during Black Friday or something.

Bundy

Banned
Holy crap. If a lot of people feel that this controller is also a piece of shit when it's released then MS are in some serious trouble!
Nothing new. I like the X360 a lot more than the XBone controller.
No. There were complaints before.

Bgamer90

Banned
Really funny how mixed the controller impressions have been. Some say it's much better than the 360 controller while others say it's much worse.

Makes me anticipate trying out the controller even more.

MDSLKTR

The bumpers are actually even worse than what they look like in the pictures? yikes. I HATE the 360 ones, especially in games that require them to be used constantly like dark souls.

Obscured

Sounds disappointing, and seems contrary to some previous impressions. I need these next two months to speed along so I can make my own determination.

Nokterian

Even that video that guy showing those bumpers almost on top the triggers is just disgusting on that xbone controller. Why would they do this make one of the finest controllers to the worst?

derFeef

The bumpers are actually even worse than what they look like in the pictures? yikes. I HATE the 360 ones, especially in games that require them to be used constantly like dark souls.

I think the 360 bumpers are perfect, have a nice click to it.

DSN2K

sounds about as rough as the PC beta....I worry this game is gonna come out half baked to make the next gen launch.

Hesemonni

Banned
Actually the first negative of the controller I see. I thought the generla concensus was that Xbone controller pretty much perfected what X360 controller started?

I am sure the controller will be fine, but the bumper/trigger placement does seem odd. It doesn't even seem like there is a natural resting place for the fingers there, seems your fingers would almost rest naturally between them. Odd.

Top Bottom